main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST The Duel

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by TK327, Mar 8, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012
    May, may not. That's exactly what I'm saying. To understand the duel, we need more story information. Duels aren't detached from story, or at least they shouldn't be. :)

That is, to try and understand the duel simply based on supposed training and power levels is probably completely missing the point.

And we know this trilogy is meant to reemphasize storytelling over surface spectacle.

TK327 likes this.
  2. Nando

Nando Jedi Knight star 3

Jul 12, 2014
    We will only have a lightsaber duel?

3. TK327

TK327 Force Ghost star 4

May 7, 2001
    Dra--- most definitely agree that a duel based soley on 'power points' is not very interesting. But I'm sure you'll agree that having one opponent be more powerful than the other can help create dramatic tension. It doesn't have to be this way, but it is an effective device in certain circumstances.

The ESB duel was an emotional roller coaster ride. Part of it is attributed to how the story of the combatent's relationship unfolds (although most of that story is revealed towards the very end of the duel). However, part of the excitement is down to our initial impression that Luke may be able to hold his own. But later, before Vader reveals his identity, we are fearing (or at least I was) for Luke's life. Vader is shown to be too much of a match for him, clearly. Maybe that did nothing for you, but it certainly heightened the experience for me.

Edit: As for story/context in the TFA duel, wouldn't the fact that Rey and Finn just watched Kylo murder Han be enough? Depending on their exact relationship with Han, it could be more than enough to provide a load of emotional resonance (and some interesting dialogue).

4. Fleab88

Fleab88 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 12, 2012
    Empire strik s back has not come out yet. You receive a rumor with the following information.

Luke has a duel with Vader.
    Luke's training is not finished before this duel.
    Luke gets injured.
    Luke fights off vader.
    The duel is abruptly interrupted.
    Luke is picked up by the Falcon.
    Vader and Luke walk away from the duel alive resulting in a "draw"

Now answer these questions. How did Luke survive without proper training against a powerful villain who is know for wiping out the Jedi who had full training? Is Vader no longer a legitimate threat? Does this rumor make any sense with what is known up to this point?

5. JediAce1

JediAce1 Force Ghost star 5

May 8, 2014
    No one wins the fight because the battle is abruptly stopped by a collapsing mountain. Who knows, if the mountain hadn't collapsed, Kylo probably would've killed Rey.

6. Vehgah

Vehgah Jedi Knight star 4

May 8, 2014
    The dude made his lightsaber out of scavenged industrial grade pipes.

Give him a break.

TK327, Dak Oolron and thejeditraitor like this.
  7. nightangel

nightangel Force Ghost star 6

Oct 31, 2014

yes, but Luke still had some training by Yoda + fighting some years for the rebellion before his duel. Finn is completely untrained + Rey who maybe had some little training as a small child, this is simply not the same in my opinion. ;)

8. Fleab88

Fleab88 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 12, 2012
    They don't have any training? When did you read the script? Can I have it when your done. Again, we have no context just like if we had the exact same rumor before Empire came out.

DarthLightlyBruise likes this.
  9. DarthLightlyBruise

DarthLightlyBruise Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 11, 2015
    I had a feeling this thread would be immediately dominated by that level of analysis. But at least it's good to get some of that out of the Rumor Depository thread...

Darth Dookacas and Dra--- like this.
  10. DarthLightlyBruise

Feb 11, 2015
    Exactly. Replace Luke's fall and pickup by the falcon in ESB, with the falling mountain and pickup by the falcon in TFA, and you have the same legitimate reason why the bad guy fails to finish off the less powerful good guy(s). Debate over.

TK327 and Fleab88 like this.
  11. Nando

Nando Jedi Knight star 3

Jul 12, 2014
    Excellent topic. Do not forget that we have many martial and sports actors in the cast. We may have more fights.

12. Nando

Nando Jedi Knight star 3

Jul 12, 2014
    In Brazil will be summer. But the battle in the snow. Is it because of Christmas?

13. DarthLightlyBruise

Feb 11, 2015
    I think it's because a lightsaber battle in the snow is cool. Both literally and figuratively!

[​IMG]

AdamSkywalker, Vohnkar, TK327 and 4 others like this.
  14. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    I am wondering how those Raid actors/fighters are going to work into this (besides fight choreography.)

Yeah, I agree with the psychological angle, and I definitely expect some Sithy talkdowns in there.

15. DarthLightlyBruise

Feb 11, 2015
    I'm guessing they are either "The Seven" from the flashback, or a part of Gwendoline's crew.

16. TheLateAdmiralPiett

TheLateAdmiralPiett Jedi Grand Master star 3

Oct 1, 2004
    Considering that Gwendoline is the chrome trooper and the seven appear to be pirates of some sort, I really doubt that.

I can't see a highly trained Imperial soldier cooperating to such a degree with pirates.

17. DarthLightlyBruise

Feb 11, 2015
    I missed the part where "The Seven" were confirmed to be pirates. According to the MSW, they do some "looting" during the flashback. Probably looking for a lightsaber. That doesn't make them pirates.

They could be pirates, but we really don't know that yet.

Darth Dookacas and El_Machete12 like this.
  18. TheLateAdmiralPiett

TheLateAdmiralPiett Jedi Grand Master star 3

Oct 1, 2004
    #Ibelieve

DarthLightlyBruise likes this.
  19. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    The source of that rumor at the very least nailed the setting. We didn't have a look at "a planet like ‘a cross between Hoth and Endor’ – tall trees capped with snow and snow covered ground" for another five months, but when we saw the trailer come November? There it was. But this person called it last June.

This makes me at least entertain the thought that the rest of what the source had to say may be legit.

And they spoke of seeing evidence of a duel between an "older male Jedi" and "a male Sith." Further, the source "was under the impression that the male Jedi was Luke."

And I can only speak for myself, but in this picture you attached, the guy wielding the green lightsaber always looked to me to resemble Luke (and honestly, I always thought the being in the foreground who is pointing a blaster favored Han).

All of this seemed to align with the rumor(s) we heard of Luke confronting Kylo Ren (possibly while Han held the duo at gunpoint).

So... is all of this suddenly out the door, then? As you say, just an unused concept? Were Rey and Finn simply substituted for Luke and Han? Ugh.

If so, that's a real shame, because the Luke/Kylo/Han triangle sounds like a pretty damn cool premise for a climactic scene to me (and a Rey/Kylo/Finn triangle -- minus any involvement from Luke at all -- while still cool, yes, would be less so for me).

nightangel, starocean90 and TK327 like this.
  20. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014
    I dont want to be the one to say this with how much I love this thread but aren't there other Threads for Lightsabre Battle Talk ? I recently made a thread just like this that got closed down.

21. nightangel

nightangel Force Ghost star 6

Oct 31, 2014
    I believe now that an untrained/hardly trained can make a draw to Kylo, I found the pre-visualization for the duel. Includes also force lightning at the end. :cool:

22. Rodie

Rodie Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2014

Wild theory, but what if Luke senses the duel taking place, reaches out with the Force and causes the mountain collapse in such a way that the combatants survive?

nightangel likes this.
  23. Millennium Fairlane

Millennium Fairlane Jedi Master star 4

Nov 29, 2014

Whose is that third lightsaber?

24. -Jedi Joe-

-Jedi Joe- Jedi Master star 2

May 6, 2013

That's one of Kylo Ren's crossguards. They can detach from the hilt and are able to be thrown like a shuriken.

25. Nando

Nando Jedi Knight star 3

Jul 12, 2014
    Knees bent. Sabre handled with both hands. It is the master Luke posture.

Shadojoker likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.