main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Duels of Star Wars

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Battlemaiden, May 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Battlemaiden

Battlemaiden Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 10, 2005
    For better or worse, Star Wars is defined by its duels. Most of the films can be defined by its duels, whether its The Duel in RotS or Luke vs Vader in TESB.

The question of course, is, what are your favorites?

My two personal favorites..

#1. Battle of the Heroes:

My favorite of the saga for the moment. Brilliant beginning (.. You will try..), brilliant conclusion (I loved you!) and terribly emotional. If I had one complaint, it would be the abrupt cut to Yoda arriving in the Sidious' office just after the beginning of the duel, which cuts into the emotions of watching Anakin and Obi-Wan go at it. Otherwise, The Duel and the battle between Yoda and Sidious are effectively intertwined.

#2. Luke vs. Vader:

This was my favorite duel of the saga until RotS, and deservedly so. I love how it opens ("The force is with you young Skywalker, but you are not a jedi yet.."), how it moves from place to place in Cloud City, and the revelation after Luke loses his hands. Incidentally, does it seem as if limbs fly around a little too freely in Star Wars? I suppose I shouldn't be surprised, but the shock of Luke losing his hand is lessened somewhat by Anakin losing pretty much all of his limbs and Dooku losing both his hands, lol.

No, the Duel of the Fates doesn't fit in here. Why? I think it's actually kind of boring. Strange, neh? But that's just my opinion. =) What do you think?

2. Asharak

Asharak Jedi Master star 4

Apr 23, 2003
    1. Anakin vs Obi ROTS(Best dual, best dialog in any star wars movie)

2. Vader vs Luke ESB(The classic)

3. Anakin vs Dooku ROTS(Really shows how much Anakin has grown in power and skill since ep2)

4. Luke vs Vader ROTJ(The emotion makes this fight good, the dual in itself is rather poor.)

5. Yoda vs Palpatine

6. Obi/Qui-Gon vs Darth Maul

7. Obi vs Grievous

8. Yoda vs Dooku(Rather bad choreography)

9. Anakin/Obi vs Dooku ep2(Way to short)

10. Mace vs Palpatine(Biggest letdown ever)

11.Qui-Gon vs Darth Maul Tatoine

12.Obi vs Vader ANH(This is Kendo, but definitely not Starwars)

3. General_Marlboro

General_Marlboro Jedi Youngling

May 31, 2005
    1) Obi v Vader- New Hope- Obi shows Vader that the light side is more powerful.

2) Luke v. Vader- Jedi- A ton of emotion plus the way it was shot and the music.

3) Yoda v. Dookoo- Clones- Yoda jumping around with a lightsabre is too good.

4) Luke v Vader- Empire- Hand off, then the revelation.

5) Obi & Qui v Maul- Phantom- Double bladed lightsabre and a jedi stabbed and dies. Shocking in 99.

6) Anakin v Dookoo- Sith- Anakins decision to cross or stay.

4. Darth_Jurassic

Darth_Jurassic Jedi Youngling

May 25, 2005
    I will just go through the films:
    Obi and Qui-Gon vs. Maul - 2nd favorite duel. It is just so awesome. It has such energy as Maul is kicking and jumping and kicking butt. Plus the dual-bladed lightsaber is sweet.

Obi and Anakin vs. Dooku(Ep. II) - I was disappointed with this duel. Obi lasts all of 20 seconds and Anakin's use of 2 sabers lasts about that long too. It had such potential but left us with simple flashes of red and blue light.

Yoda vs. Dooku - A great duel. Nothing real huge but it is just awesome to see Yoda wielding a lightsaber.

Anakin and Obi vs. Dooku (Ep. III) - a really great duel where we get to really see the 2 on 1 action again. Plus the way that Anakin kills off Dooku is pretty darn cool and I love the ROTJ parallel.

Mace & Co. vs. Palpatine - kinda cool how Palp just butchers the other Jedi but other than the breaking of the window and the final confrontation with Anakin there, nothing else impresses.

Sideous vs. Yoda - pretty cool but not as cool as the previews made it look. I did enjoy the pod flinging.

Anakin vs. Obi - Best duel in the series. The action by itself is intense and brutal. Worth watching for that. Plus, the emotion driving the duel and the dialogue to go along with it just push this one above and beyond the rest.

Obi vs. Vader - has good emotional impact in light of the prequels but nothing much to see expect two old guys going at it in what amounts to a fencing match.

Luke vs. Vader (Ep. V) - probably my 3rd favorite duel. I think the carbon freezing chamber is just cool. Plus this duel has such energy and emotion. Definitely the second most emotional duel. It also has great dialogue and plays out the intimidation of Vader that ruled TESB out to full effect.

Luke vs Vader (Ep. VI) - not anything great to see action wise but the emotion is here. This duel is mainly about Luke's attempts to turn his father back to the light-side. I love when Luke snaps and goes full out. This is a great emotional climax in the saga.

5. DarkLordChristopher

DarkLordChristopher Jedi Youngling

May 29, 2005
    Obi vs Ani Sith
    This was what it was all about. Since the first time the story of obiwan and anakin fighting in the old days we all wanted to see this. Anticipated for six years through the span of the prequels and for eight or nine years for those who figured out early on that the redo of the ot in 97 was a primer for the prequels.
    All that anticipation and bam, it happens, the most awesome duel ever. Loved it, especial the part where they twirl away for a few seconds and then parry really hard.

Qui gon and obi vs Maul
    First time seeing a lightsaber duel on the big screen for a long time. The ot duels are completely memorized by this time and any of us can act them out with our friends to the last step.
    Obi wan talked about how great the jedi were and how the light saber was a graceful weopon. Luke failed to show us that and so did the ageing and mechanized vader.
    Obi wan showed us just how bad the jedi really were when he went nuts on maul. Maul showed us how awesome the sith could be and there was the great double bladed lightsaber and two on one fight.

3.Luke and Vader ESB
    Obvious reasons.

4.Dooku and Ani SITH
    Never have we seen a opening lightsaber duel, this duel could have easily been a satisfying climax for the other movies. Awesome truley awesome.

5.Dooku vs Ani Clones
    Obiwan taken out early is kinda lame but goes to show just how with it anikin really is. He actually scared dooku with the power fighting in the end, and dooku breathed a breath of relief after ani was deafeated.

The rest are great but i'll have to think more on it to put them in order.

6. Master_Starwalker

Master_Starwalker Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2003
    1.Anakin vs. Obi-Wan, the underlying emotion and the pure sword play

2. Luke vs. Vader ROTJ, for the underlying emotion

3. Luke vs. Vader TESB, again the emotion and the revelation

4. Ani/Obi vs. Dooku ROTS

5. Yoda vs. Palpatine, the two most powerful Force Users squaring off

6. Duel of the Fates, first time seeing Prequel Jedi fight.

7. Yoda vs. Dooku

8. Mace vs. Palpatine

9.Ani/Obi vs. Dooku AOTC

9. Obi vs. Vader

7. DarthNidLoc

DarthNidLoc Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 19, 2005
    I agree with alot of you about the order with Anakin vs. Obiwan as number one.

2. Vader Luke ESB

3.OBi/Jinn v Maul TPM

4. Luke v Vader ROTj

5. The reason I posted this. All though I loved the moves used in the OBiwan and Anakin vs Dooku ROts Duel I had hoped after reading the novelization that it would have been longer.
    6. Obiwan, Yoda and Anakin vs Dooku AOTC.

8. KMC

KMC Jedi Youngling star 1

May 28, 2005
    1. Anakin versus Obi-Wan ROTS -- It was interesting to see two adversaries fighting with lightsabers that are the same colour. Great dialogue and emotion.

2. Yoda versus Sidious/Palpatine -- A very awesome duel. It really showed how powerful Sidious is. No wonder Yoda warns Luke not to underestimate the "powers of the Emperor" in ROTJ.

3. Vader versus Luke TESB -- Vader seems so powerful, and I feel sorry for Luke.

4. Mace versus Sidious/Palpatine ROTS -- I loved the way Palpatine jumped up. The shattering of the window was great. I love the "unlimited power!" line!

5. Anakin versus Dooku/Tyranus ROTS -- Anakin gives into his rage, although he should not.

6. Luke versus Vader ROTJ -- Very emotional and interesting.

7. Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon versus Darth Maul TPM -- Maul is a bloodthirsty Sith and a great challenge for the two Jedi.

9. Obi versus Grievous -- Obi-Wan owns Grievous.

10. Yoda versus Dooku -- Yoda was awesome.

11. Anakin versus Dooku -- I wish the part where Anakin had two lightsabers was longer.

12. Qui-Gon versus Darth Maul -- Maul was vicious.

13. Obi-Wan versus Vader -- I think it should have been faster, but I like the dialogue.

9. Bacon164

Bacon164 Chosen One star 8

Mar 22, 2005
    01. Battle of the Heroes
    02. Luke VS. Vader (ROTJ)
    03. Luke VS. Vader (ESB)
    04. Sidious VS. Yoda
    05. Qui and Obi VS. Maul
    06. Sidious VS. Mace/Posse
    07. Grievous VS. Obi-Wan
    08. Dooku Vs. Obi/Ani (ROTS)
    09. Yoda VS. Dooku
    10. Dooku VS. Obi/Ani (AOTC)
    11. Obi VS. Vader (ANH)

10. CommanderJamesBond

CommanderJamesBond Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 3, 2005
    1. TIE: Luke vs. Vader (ROTJ) & Obi/Qui vs. Maul (TPM)
    2. Anakin Skywalker vs. Obi-Wan Kenobi (ROTS)
    3. Emperor Palpatine vs. Yoda (ROTS)
    4. Darth Vader vs. Luke Skywalker (ESB)
    5. Chancellor Palpatine vs. Mace Windu (ROTS)
    6. Obi-Wan Kenobi vs. Darth Vader (ANH)
    7. Anakin/Obi vs. Darth Tyranus (ROTS)
    8. Obi-Wan Kenobi vs. General Grievous (ROTS)
    9. Anakin/Obi/Yoda vs. Tyranus (AOTC)

11. PrinceHector

PrinceHector Jedi Youngling star 2

May 29, 2005
    1) Anikan verses Kenobi ROTS
    2) Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon verses Maul TPM
    3) Luke and Vader at Cloud City ESB

(everything else - apart from last reserved for)

X) Anikan and Obi-Wan verses Dukoo AOTC

12. dark_jedi32

dark_jedi32 Jedi Master star 4

May 24, 2005
    1.Anakin vs Obiwan: I absoloutly loved how that duel started, by far the fastest duel I've ever seen!

2.Luke vs Vader ROTJ: The only duel when luke is fighting vader and he knows its his father! very powerful.

3.Obi wan and Qui Gon vs Maul: Darth maul's lightsaber. Nuff said!

4.Anakin vs Dooku ROTS: fine bit of coreography there i must say! especially when they are fighting in front of Palpatine near the end.

5.Luke vs Vader ESB: this duell was good, very good.
    impressive, most impressive.

all of the rest are good too, but I'm lazy and i don't want to post it all:D

EDIT: oh ****! I forgot the yoda vs sids battle that was friggin amazing!!!!!!!!

13. kupo

kupo Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 12, 2005
    1) Duel of the Fates. ROTS looked primed to take over the top spot, but I can't honestly say I think it did. TPM's ending battle was simply epic. It had some of the most impressive moves of any of the duels and by far the best pacing. Each little intercut of the duel felt like it had its own story to tell in the context of the whole fight. The action started intense, and ended intense.

2)Luke and Vader, TESB. The choreography of this duel, while not as flashy as the PT duels, was still very solid, I thought. Once again, I felt the pacing was spot on. I liked the three different "sections," and the way some force powers were thrown in. And of course, there's the confession.

3)Battle of the Heroes. This one starts off EXTREMELY intense, but it really kind of dissipates toward the end. It really started to lose interest once Anakin and Kenobi were on that piece of falling machinery. The dialogue became the focal point, and it was fantastic, but the battle kind of had an anticlimactic ending.

After that it's kind of hard to rate them. Really, though, they're all great except for ANH's. It was just, well, not all that engrossing.

14. DarthOrrorin

DarthOrrorin Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 4, 2005
    Yoda vs. Count Dooku in EP2 AOTC. This duel truly shows the true power of Yoda. It wasn't until this battle that we truly saw the true power that Yoda could unleash. The first time I saw it I exploded when Yoda pulled out his 'fitted' lightsaber, which I refer to as a lightdagger. Sure, Dooku did get away in the end but not he attempted to kill Yoda with the scrap he dropped down from the ceiling. Yoda turned it right around and should how strong in the force he was. I mean, true in EP5 he does get the X-Wing out of the swamp but.... You could see Yoda feel around for the piece that was falling, much like in EP3 when Sidious was balcony down the seats of the senate and shoot one right back to the Sith Lord.

15. Tyler_Boydston

Tyler_Boydston Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 16, 2005
    1. Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon VS. Darth Maul- The greatest because it had a two-bladed lightsaber, and it was just so fast-paced and exciting.
    2. Obi-Wan Vs. Anakin- The final duel of ROTS, this one is on a volcano planet and has so much at stake. The buildup to this duel was enough to make you root for Obi-Wan.
    3. Luke Vs. Vader- Who's Your Daddy? The biggest shocker in movie history occured at the end of this epic duel, leaving many to wonder...
    4. Mace Vs. Palpatine- At long last we see Mace Windu in a lightsaber duel! My favorite character of the prequel trilogy goes out with a bang in this lightsaber duel.
    5. Yoda Vs. Dooku- Excellent. That's all I've gotta say.
    6. Anakin and Obi-Wan Vs. Count Dooku (Ep. III)- Finally we see a bit of the dark side coming from Anakin, as this only leads up to things to come...

16. DS615

DS615 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 30, 2003
    Luke vs. Vader - ESB
    Luke vs. Vader - RotJ
    Obi vs. Vader - ANH
    Obi vs. Vader - RotS

And that pretty much wraps it up. The others are a bit to goofy for my tastes. Besides, there's no real emotion in them, no sense of a larger conflict.

17. Dragonlance

Dragonlance Jedi Youngling

Oct 1, 2004
    1. Anakin vs. Obi-Wan (ROTS)
    2. Maul vs. Obi/Qui-Gon (TPM)
    3. Vader vs. Luke (ESB)
    4. Vader vs. Luke (ROTJ)
    5. Emperor vs. Yoda (ROTS)

18. cymbalmonkey

cymbalmonkey Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 10, 2005
    1 Darth Vader V Obi-Wan from Revenge of the Sith
    2 Luke V Darth Vader from The Empire Strikes Back
    3 Yoda V Darth Sidious from Revenge of the Sith
    4 Obi-Wan and Anakin V Darth Tyranus from Revenge of the Sith
    5 Yoda V Darth Tyranus from Attack of the Clones
    6 Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan V Darth Maul from The Phantom Menace
    7 Obi-Wan and Anakin V Darth Tyranus from Attack of the Clones
    8 Mace V Darth Sidious from Revenge of the Sith
    9 Luke V Darth Vader from Return of the Jedi
    10 Obi-Wan V Grievious from Revenge of the Sith
    11 Obi-Wan V Darth Vader from A New Hope

19. Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa

Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa Jedi Youngling star 6

Jan 23, 2002
    1 Darth Vader vs. Obi-Wan (Revenge)
    2 Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan vs. Darth Maul (Menace)
    3 Luke vs. Darth Vader (Jedi)
    4 Luke vs. Darth Vader (Empire)
    5 Yoda vs. Darth Sidious (Revenge)
    6 Obi-Wan and Anakin vs. Darth Tyranus (Revenge)
    7 Yoda vs. Darth Tyranus (Revenge)
    8 Obi-Wan and Anakin vs. Darth Tyranus (Clones)
    9 Obi-Wan vs. Darth Vader (Hope)
    10 Mace vs. Darth Sidious (Revenge)
    11 Obi-Wan vs. Grievious (Revenge)

20. RebelScum77

RebelScum77 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 3, 2003
    I'm pretty much going to agree with SoME.

7 Yoda vs. Darth Tyranus (Revenge)

I think you mean (Clones) however.

21. Anakin's Daddy

Anakin's Daddy Force Ghost star 4

Aug 13, 2002
    I'm pretty sure this is all the saber duels:
    TPM - 2
    ATOC - 2
    ROTS - 5
    ANH - 1
    TESB - 1
    ROTJ - 1

Here's my order:

1. Anakin(Vader) vs. Obi-Wan (ROTS) ...you will try. ...Then you are LOST! ...I HATE YOU!
    2. Yoda vs. Palpatine (ROTS) The ultimate Good vs. Evil ...my little green friend.
    3. Qui-Gon & Obi-Wan vs. Maul (TPM) Snarling Red-double-bladed coolness... Sliced!
    4. Luke vs. Vader (daddy!) (ESB) All too easy.
    5. Mace Windu, Kit Fisto, Agen Kolar & Saeese Tinn (hardly!) vs. Palpatine... and Anakin! (ROTS) ...no. NO! NO!! YOU WILL DIE!
    6. Yoda vs. Dooku (ATOC) ...Yodaman.
    7. Anakin & Obi-Wan vs. Dooku (ROTS) ...Do it!
    8. Luke vs. Vader (ROTJ) You're goin' down daddy! I love how luke looka at his hand at the end.
    9. Obi-Wan & Anakin vs. Dooku (ATOC) Now, Back down.
    10. Obi-Wan vs Grievous (ROTS) 4 sabers. Very sweet.
    11. Obi-Wan vs. Vader (ANH) ...pretty lame really.
    12. Qui-Gon vs. Maul (TPM) ... a short one. Although it's the very first jedi/sith duel in about 1000 years.

22. The_General_Grievous

The_General_Grievous Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 8, 2005
    1. Anakin vs Obi ROTS(so fast, just great)

2. Yoda vs Palpatine(I love this one so much, almost got spot #1)

3. Obi vs Grievous(4 sabers rocks, also really cool bike0

4. Anakin and Obi Wan vs Dooku ROTS(Really shows how much Anakin has grown in power and skill since ep2)

5. Vader vs Luke ESB

6. Obi/Qui-Gon vs Darth Maul

7. Mace vs Palpatine

8. Luke Vs Vader ROTJ

9. Anakin/Obi vs Dooku ep2

10. Yoda vs Dooku

11.Qui-Gon vs Darth Maul Tatoine

12.Obi vs Vader ANH

23. skywalker19145

skywalker19145 Jedi Master star 1

Sep 4, 2004
    my favorite duels -

1 - anh - luke vs. training remote
    2 - esb - han vs. tauntaun
    3 - esb - luke vs. wampa
    4 - anh - obi-wan vs. ponda baba
    5 - esb - luke vs. vader apparition in the cave
    6 - rotj - luke vs. the speeder bike and biker scout
    7 - tpm - qui qon jinn vs. the blast doors on the trade federation ship

the one duel i always wanted to see what in rotj when luke was trying to reach for his lightsaber while him and his posse were caught in the ewok-net right before r2 cut a hole in it.

i stil have dreams imagining what luke could have done to the netting.

24. Moog

Moog Jedi Master star 1

Apr 23, 2003
    I'm not sure I fancy ranking them all, but I can go part of the way...

I'm pretty sure my favourite is Luke vs Vader in ROTJ. It's the fact that it's the culmination of the whole story, and the chance for Luke to finally choose a different path than Anakin. The music is so powerful, and the emotions are so complex - it's amazing!!

I think Obi-Wan vs Anakin in ROTS is a close second though. The intensity and the dialogue are brilliant, and the conclusion is truly gut-wrenching.

Luke vs Vader in TESB would be third. It's great, but it feels like it's just the beginning of something... which it is, in a way...

I think I'm inclined to prefer these duels because of the dramatic undercurrents and emotional investment, as opposed to the acrobatic flair of the duels of TPM and AOTC, and the somewhat empty feeling of the duel in ANH.

25. Ob-wan-shawa

Ob-wan-shawa Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 10, 2005
    1. ROTS Obi vs Ani..... Emotional and awsome fight
    2. Vader vs luke ep 6... Emotional and awsome
    3. Yoda vs sideuous... awsome and monumental
    4. yoda vs dooku... man watxchimng yoda first time and doing that man.
    5. Obi and qui vs maul... Just an awsomely cool wacthing duel
    6. Vader vs luke ep 5.. I'm your father and awosme duel
    7. Mace and posse vs. Sideous.. It's the duel whee he turned and I loved the begegning.
    8. Ani and Obi vs. Dooku episode 3..
    9. ani and obi vs dooku episode 2...
    10. Greivious vs. Obi.. Awsomely cool duel
    11. obi vs vader ep 4...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.