main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Duels of Star Wars

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Battlemaiden, May 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Maestro

Darth_Maestro Jedi Master star 4

Jan 27, 2005
    Obi vs. Vader ANH[face_beatup]

2. jeajon126

jeajon126 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 10, 2004
    1. Anakin versus Obi-Wan ROTS -- Great choreography, intense environment and dialogue. Also like how there were punches, kicks, etc. intense battling, really felt for Obiwan and anakin, how obi needed to destroy his best friend and how anakin believed he needed to "save" padme. very heart touching. Also, my fav quote of the saga is Obi-Wan's, "You were the chosen one speech"

2. Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon versus Darth Maul TPM -- just BARELY in second place, Before ROTS, my ultimate favorite. action paced, well choreographed, super fast, especially like Obi-Wan's skills after Qui-gon died, showed me exactly how powerfull a jedi and sith can be.

3. Luke versus Vader ROTJ -- Very emotional, cheering on Luke all the way, wanted to scream when Vader teased Luke about Leia, love "I am a jedi, like my father, before me."

4. Obi versus Grievous -- Shows again the skills of Obi-wan, love the "so uncivilized" line

5. Vader versus Luke TESB -- Although Luke seemed really really really weak when Vader was force throwing things at him, the revelation and rest of duel were really cool. I loved the part where Luke jumps out of the Carbon freeze chamber and vader doesnt notice

6. Mace versus Sidious/Palpatine ROTS -- Palpatine's jump and battle cry was cool, shattering of window was great. love the "unlimited power!" line, wished palps showed more power

7. Anakin versus Dooku/Tyranus ROTS - nice resemblence to ROTJ duel, a little revenge for Anakin, nice choreography

8. Yoda vs Sidious ROTS-- i was really unimpressed, expected much more from the epotimes of the light and dark side. the pod throwing was OK, but i thing i expected too greatly.

9. Anakin versus Dooku AOTC-- It was alright, nothing too fancy except for the dual weilding

10. Obi-Wan versus Vader ANH-- should have been faster, but dialogue was great, made up for the really weak fighting.

11. Yoda versus Dooku AOTC -- i know some people really liked this duel, but i was really unimpressed. Although I love yoda as a jedi master, Dooku is alright, their duel never was exiting to watch for me.

3. padawan-yoda

padawan-yoda Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 21, 2005
    1. obi vs anakin ROTS: very long, good music, great choroegraphy, lava surfing, "I have the highground"

2. obi & qui gon vs maul TPM: good length, great music, duel bladed saber, I loved the scene where the large doors open and you see amul standing there waiting for them

3. yoda vs sidious ROTS: good music, it was great to see the two most powerful masters of the force going at it, the scene with them dueling while the platform is being elevated into the senate room is one of my favourites

4. mace and the other jedi vs palpatine ROTS: the build up to the fight was really good

5. luke vs vader ROTJ: best duel of the OT IMO

6. obi and ankin vs dooku ROTS: nice choreography, I like dookus fighting style

7. obi vs grievous ROTS: I was expecting better but the lightsbaer buzzsaw was cool

8. obi/anakin/yoda vs dooku AOTC: first time seeing yoda and dooku fight

9. luke vs vader ESB: it was a good fight

10. Maul vs qui gon TPM: it was better than obi vs vader ANH

4. QuiGonHrafn

QuiGonHrafn Jedi Grand Master star 3

May 25, 2002
    1: Qui Gon/Obi Wan vs. Maul - the greatest duel and the most elegant. Ewan McGregor and Ray Park's coolness is a big factor and the elegance of Qui Gon. Is still the number one duel although Anakin vs. Obi Wan comes damn close. But the duel of the fates (the song) is why I rate it at number 1.
    2: Anakin vs. Obi Wan - the most emotional of all the duels. The longest duel and with the most hatred in it. On top of that you have Christensen and McGregor, two brilliant swordsmen.
    3: Luke vs. Darth Vader in Bespin - don't have to explain it, do I?
    4: Yoda vs. Darth Sidius - much better than the Dooku duel. This is a real duel and as before the music is a big reason for its greatness.
    5:Mace Windu vs. Darth Sidius
    6: Luke Skywalker vs. Darth Vader (Death Star)
    7: Ben Kenobi vs. Darth Vader
    8: Obi Wan Kenobi vs. General Grievous
    9: Anakin/Obi Wan vs. Dooku
    10: Qui Gon vs. Maul (Tatooine)
    11: Yoda vs. Dooku - wasn't impressed although it was worth it as an excercise for Yoda vs. Palpatine.

5. GeneralDooku

GeneralDooku Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 9, 2005
    1. Palpatine vs. Yoda - This couldn't be bad. The concept of Yoda and Palpatine fighting is brilliant. Ian McDiarmid gives an incredible preformance considering he's talking/fighting nothing. The sequence where the pod goes up into the senate chamber is awe-worthy. I got mad whenever they cut to Obi and Ani.

2. Obi-Wan vs. Anakin- Although not as good as Palpatine vs. Yoda in my mind, still a spectacular fight.

3. Count Dooku vs. Obi-Wan/Anakin (RotS)- The beggining where Dooku fough both was simply spectacular. And although I think Dooku died too easily, it was a "nessicary death"

4. Mace and Posse vs. Palpatine- The beggining when Palpatine stood up and turned on his lightsaber was chilling. "I am the senate!" And it really shows how powerful Palpatine is.

5. Yoda vs. Count Dooku- The speed is what really gets this in 5th. Although I wish it could be longer, the RotS Yoda duel made up for it.

6. Count Dooku vs. Obi-Wan/Anakin (AotC)- Obi went to fast and we didn't actually enough of the actual dueling between Ani and Dooku.

7. Qui-Gon/Obi-Wan vs. Darth Maul- A very well-paced fight.

8. Luke vs. Darth Vader (ESB)- It's just good.

9. Luke vs. Darth Vader (RotJ)- With the Emperor taunting as the icing on the cake, this is the one that ended it all.

10. Obi-Wan vs. General Grievous- A dissapointing fight cosidering that Grievous had four sabers and lost two easily. Also, the bad way he died didn't help it. But Obi-Wan's line afterwards is priceless. "So uncivilized"

11. Qui-Gon vs. Darth Maul- Simply a preview for the later fight.

12. Obi-Wan vs. Darth Vader (ANH)- Pretty weak compared to their fight in RotS.

6. chad715

chad715 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 19, 2005
    like ur signiture general dooku seinfeld rocks!! lol neways..
    1.tied for 1st is obi vs ani and anakin vs dooku in ROTS
    i thought it was pimpin when anakin caught dooku's lightsaber in his hand then crossed it wit his across his neck

7. TheForgottenJedi

TheForgottenJedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 10, 2004
    Top 10 Duels In Star Wars

1. Obi Wan VS Vader (ROTS) - Enough said.
    2. Obi Wan/Qui Gon VS Maul (TPM) - Still one of the best planned duels in SW and only gets more exciting as it goes.
    3. Luke VS Vader (ROTJ) - May not have the flash of the PT duels but its second only to Obi Wan VS Vader in emotion.
    4. Obi Wan VS Maul - May have been short but there where some sweet moves in this duel.
    5. Anakin VS Dooku (ROTS) - *Same As Obi Wan VS Maul*
    6. Anakin VS Dooku (AOTC) - Doesn't suffer as much from an ugly edit as the Obi Wan/Dooku fight does and the double sabers and focus on the faces during the duel makes it unqiue and cool to watch.
    7. Luke VS Vader (ESB) - Almost as strong in emotion as the ROTJ duel but I like this duel because of the setting. The Bespin cooling chamber is such an eerie but awe-like place.
    8. Yoda VS Sidious (ROTS) - Sweetiest showcase of force powers in the entire saga and the tossing of Senate pods is really cool to watch.
    9. Mace Windu VS Sidious (ROTS) - First time we get to see Sidious with a saber and Windu's only duel.
    10. Obi Wan VS General Grievous (ROTS) - Four sabers was cool to see and Obi Wan completly owning the General was even cooler. :D :p

8. DarthVader_

DarthVader_ Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 3, 2005
    1. Vader Vs Luke ESB

2. Vader Vs Luke ROTJ

3. Maul/Obi/Qui-gon TPM

4. Yoda Vs Sidious ROTS

5. Anakin Vs Obi-Wan ROTS

6. Vader Vs Obi-wan ANH

7. Mace Vs Sidious ROTS

8. Dooku Vs Obi/Ani AOTC

9. Yoda Vs Dooku AOTC

10. Anakin Vs Dooku ROTS

11.Obi-Wan Vs Greivous ROTS

9. Xelima

Xelima Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 28, 2005
    1.Anakin vs Obi-Wan ROTS(great emotions and dialog)
    2.Qui/Obi vs Darth Maul TPM(first SW lightsaber fight what i saw when i was kid :D)
    3.Luke Skywalker vs Darth Vader ROTJ
    4.Yoda vs Sidious ROTS
    5.Yoda vs Dooku AOTC
    6.Luke vs Vader ESB (good emotions and dialog "luke i am your father" :D)
    7.Anakin/Obi vs Dooku AOTC
    8.Obi/Anakin vs Dooku ROTJ
    9.Mace Windu vs Palpatine
    10.Obi-Wan vs General Grievous ROTJ
    11.Qui-Gon vs Maul (Tatoiine)
    12.Obi-Wan vs Vader (Great dialog but the fight was boring :/)

10. Grievous21

Grievous21 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 26, 2005
    1-Anakin vs Obi-Wan ROTS
    2-Maul vs Obi-Wan And Qui-Gon TPM
    3-Dooku vs Obi-Wan and Anakin ROTS
    4-Luke vs Vader ROTJ
    5-Luke vs Vader TESB

11. AmosMoses

AmosMoses Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 30, 2005
    1. Yoda vs R2-D2 (ESB)
    Yoda still got it. MINE! MINE! hehehehe
    2. Han vs Taun-Taun (ESB)
    For a rookie Han handled that sabre nicely
    3. Anakin vs Factory Droids (AOTC)
    We really see how powerful he is, hate to see him at the Ford plant
    4. Qui-Gon Jinn vs Blast Doors (TPM)
    Blast Doors won't stop a jedi
    5. Vader vs Luke (ESB)
    Probably should throw a serious one in there

12. sithcult_109

sithcult_109 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 6, 2005
    1. Obi Wan/Qui Gon vs Darth Maul TPM

2. Obi Wan vs Anakin ROTS

3. Anakin/ Obi Wan vs Dooku ROTS

4. Yoda vs Sidious ROTS

5. Mace Windu vs Sidous ROTS

6. Yoda vs Dooku AOTC

7. Luke vs Vader TESB

8. Luke vs Vader ROTJ

9. Obi Wan/ Anakin vs Dooku AOTC

10. Obi Wan vs Grievous ROTS

11. Obi Wan vs Vader ANH

13. DarthBud

DarthBud Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 16, 2003
    1 Anakin vs Obi ROTS- Best one by far, it has everything going for it.

2 Vader vs Luke ROTJ- Always will have a soft spot, when Vader starts talking about Leia when Luke is hiding.

3 Maul vs Obi & Qui Gon- Was the best choregraphed fight before ROTS came out.

4 Obi vs Grevious- He has 4 lightsabers.

5 Maul vs Qui Gon(on Tattooine)- First time we see a Sith go buck wild.

6 Vader vs Luke ESB- Luke thinks he's tough, he's not.

7 Yoda vs Sidious- Sidious laughing insanely, good times.

8 Yoda vs Count Dooku- It rocked when he pulled his little saber out.

9 Mace and friends vs Sidious- Never liked Mace, well the character is cool, but Sam Jackson can't stand him.

10 Obi vs Vader

11 Han vs Dead Tauntaun- Han is the only one batting 1000 in saber fights.

12 Obi vs Jango Fett- Jango sounds like Mango, from SNL

14. Ruler_of_the_Jedi

Ruler_of_the_Jedi Jedi Knight star 6

May 31, 2005
    My favorite was obviously Anakin vs Obi-Wan, but I also liked the duel in episodes I and II. Also, the Luke vs Vader on CLoud City was awesome

15. Ashandarei

Ashandarei Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 21, 2004
    1. Luke Skywalker vs. Darth Vader, ESB
    Still the best duel in my eyes. The choreography manages to be good even without the flashy jumps and twirls that are so common in movie fights nowadays. Plus, the dialogue and tension that the scene conveys beats anything but the Emperor's Throne room scene.

2. Luke Skywalker vs. Darth Vader, ROTJ
    The choreography's a bit iffy, but the dramatic impact of this scene is the best in the saga. Father and son dueling to the death with the Emperor cackling in the background ... great stuff.

3. Darth Maul vs. Obi-wan Kenobi and Qui-gon Jinn, TPM
    The best choreographed of any Star Wars fight scene, IMO. Doesn't stretch out too long, but still takes a good portion of time. No dialogue (except NOOOOOO!!!!), but it's actually better for the lack.

4. Obi-wan Kenobi vs. Jango Fett, AOTC
    I don't know if this counts as a duel, but this was one of my favorite parts of the PT. Seeing Obi-wan, a highly skilled and great Jedi, fighting with a regular human (well, not regular, but you know what I mean) and barely holding his own was great. It really showed you that sometimes, the Force isn't the be-all end-all to fighting. Also gave me some tips on how to fight Jedi if I ever have to ;).

5. Darth Sidious/Palpatine vs. Yoda, ROTS
    It's not so much a lightsaber duel as a clash of two sides of the Force. Even though some parts were corny, I thought it was done pretty well.

6. Anakin Skywalker/Darth Vader vs. Obi-wan Kenobi, ROTS
    It was certainly entertaining, and fairly well choreographed. Two biggest complaints: it dragged on fairly long, and the end was moronic. But the tension and loss were very evident throughout the battle.

7. Count Dooku/Darth Tyranus vs. Anakin Skywalker and Obi-wan Kenobi, ROTS
    Well-choreographed, although I felt it was too short. The move that Anakin does to disarm Dooku is beautiful.

8. Obi-wan Kenobi vs. Darth Vader, ANH
    I really do not like the choreography in this fight, but at least it's acted well. And Obi-wan's last line is one of the best in the saga.

9. Darth Sidious/Palpatine vs. Mace Windu, Kit Fisto, Saesee Tiin and Agen Kolar, ROTS
    I expected to love this, but the choreography was disappointing (Jedi just stood there to be cut down), and parts of it were severely overdone (Palpatine screaming "POWER! ULTIMATE POWER!")

10. Count Dooku/Darth Tyranus vs. Yoda, AOTC
    Didn't look so much like a fight as like a chance to show off CGI Yoda.

11. Count Dooku/Darth Tyranus vs. Anakin Skywalker and Obi-wan Kenobi, AOTC
    Choreography was pretty good, but it was ruined by only seeing small parts of the fight (and the end where Anakin holds out his arm to be dismembered).

12. Obi-wan Kenobi vs. General Grievous, ROTS
    Ugh. I was so disappointed by this fight. Grievous is a great character in the EU, but onscreen they make him look like he has no idea what he's doing. Plus, his style doesn't seem at all like how a 4-armed person would fight.

16. TALL_CANS_IN_THE_AIR

TALL_CANS_IN_THE_AIR Jedi Youngling star 1

May 29, 2005
    the best one is either anikan versus obi-wan or darth vader verses luke in jedi.

but the empire strikes back is awesome too, and then the duel of the fates is really excellent too

those three are my favourite, the rest our great but these three are the best

17. Eddie

Eddie Jedi Master star 3

Jan 16, 2001
    Obi-Wan, Qui-Gon and Darth Maul I think is the best/most entertaining.

18. WolfEgo5

WolfEgo5 Jedi Youngling

Jun 25, 2005
    I find this pretty funny... when AOTC came out, everybody LOVED the yoda vs. dooku fight. The audience literally went nuts and yelled so loud you couldn't hear the movie during that part, and every single time I saw it. People thought that was the coolest duel ever, and now it's towards the bottom of most people's lists (including mine). Just goes to show you how times change.

1) Luke vs. Vader (ROTJ)-- very emotional, my favorite moment of the saga.
    2) Yoda vs. Sidious (ROTS) -- very symbolic, the top jedi against the top sith.
    3) Duel of the Fates
    4) Battle of the Heroes
    5) Luke vs. Vader (ESB)
    6) Mace vs. Palpatine
    7) Dooku vs. Anakin (ROTS)
    8) Yoda vs. Dooku (AOTC) -- still a good duel, but there's so many better ones
    9) Anakin and Obi wan vs. Dooku (AOTC)
    10) Vader vs. Obi Wan (ANH) -- seems kinda slow now compared to the other duels.
    11) Obi Wan vs. Grievous -- didn't do much for me

19. Hos-Mon-Win

Hos-Mon-Win Jedi Youngling

Jul 15, 2005
    Anakin vs Obi-Wan ROTS.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.