main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

~The Duke John Wayne~Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Archive: The Amphitheatre' started by _Xanatos_, Mar 5, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. _Xanatos_

_Xanatos_ Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 18, 2003
    Before Star Wars there was the Duke, John Wayne was the greatest and I love his films so I thought that there might as well be a discussion started because I am sure that there are SW fans who appreciate the Duke. So let's start a discussion.

2. Gobi-1

Gobi-1 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 22, 2002
    A couple of my favorite John Wayne films are MClintock! and The Alamo.

Which John Wayne film has the Duke and others bringing Robert Mitchum some bars of soap?

3. JohnWilliams00

JohnWilliams00 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 29, 2002
    Would that be El Dorado? Not sure if I remember.

My favorite Duke films would probably be The Shootist (touching that the film was almost autobiographical in a way), The Searchers, The Quiet Man, Rio Bravo, and The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance.

4. _Xanatos_

Feb 18, 2003
    It was El Dorado and that is a great film. I love Rio Bravo and The Sands of Iwo Jima. I live in Tucson and at Old Tucson studies McLintock was filmed, unfortunately most of the set was burned down. Maureen O'hara and John Wayne make a great hollywood couple in the movies. I have 29 Duke films and even some of his earlier films. The oldest one is Two-Fisted Law(1932). I also remember that when making SW GL wanted to capture some of the glory that western films of Duke's time had, like the great gun battles and I believe Han originated from those movies.

5. Gobi-1

Gobi-1 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 22, 2002
    I always get El Dorado and Rio Bravo mixed up. Rio Bravo is with Dean Martin isn't it?

6. _Xanatos_

Feb 18, 2003
    Yes it is and what do you all think of John Ford's Calvary Trilogy.

7. JohnWilliams00

Jan 29, 2002
    To my recollection (I could be wrong), the trilogy includes:

She Wore a Yellow Ribbon
    Rio Grande
    Fort Apache

Never seen Fort Apache, but I love She Wore A Yellow Ribbon, and Maureen O Hara and Wayne make a great duo in Rio Grande. (I had a crush on her)

I think a beautiful moment is when Wayne secretly tries to compare his height to his son, who has grown considerably. I love little touches like that.

For fun, I have a trivia question too:

Which John Wayne film did did he say "By God! She reminds me of me!"

8. _Xanatos_

Feb 18, 2003
    Was it True Grit?

Yes you are correct about the trilogy, Fort Apache is okay but Rio Grande is awesome.

9. _Xanatos_

Feb 18, 2003
    Where were the battle scenes of Sands of Iwo Jima filmed?

The answer is on the new SOIJ tape or DVD documentary at the end.

10. starwarsfan1000

starwarsfan1000 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 21, 2000
    Which John Wayne film did did he say "By God! She reminds me of me!"

I'm going to guess McLintock.

Rio Grande and She Wore a Yellow Ribbon are good. Never seen Fort Apache.

I know its looked down on, but I always liked him in Conqueror.

Jet Pilot is good too. IMO.

11. _Xanatos_

Feb 18, 2003
    Well I have not seen the Conqueres yet but I want to.

I like the Rooster Cogburn movies and I like those other ones like the Undefeated.

I think out of comic relief it is a tie between McLintock and North to Alaska.

12. starwarsfan1000

Aug 21, 2000
    Conqueror is different, that is for sure. Wayne the 12th century Mongol.

I've only seen True Grit of the Rooster Cogburn group. Undefeated is up towards the top, along with Sheppard of the Hills and Red River.

Those two are very good for comic relief. I thought I was going to pass out laughing the first time I watched McLintock.

The one I probably like the least is Hatari, I don't know, I could never warm up to it.

Then there's The Searchers, as anti-typical a Western as you are going to get in the 1950's, but a great movie.

13. JohnWilliams00

Jan 29, 2002
    You're correct _Xanatos_ on my trivia question, it was True Grit. (great memory! :D)

I'm afraid I'm not sure where exactly The Sands of Iwo Jima was filmed. (I wanted to buy the dvd too). Anyone else know? I could check for it on the net, but that would be too easy. [face_laugh]

I've never seen The Conquerer either, although it looks like one of those curiousity items I can't turn away from. I mean that in a good way.

Another John Wayne movie I simply have never seen nor can I find is The High and the Mighty. Have you seen this one? I think it's about a plane crash and more a character study. It's not on DVD or VHS, and I heard it was great, with an Oscar-Winning score by Dmitri Tiomkin (High Noon, Red River).

14. starwarsfan1000

Aug 21, 2000
    The High and the Mighty is not available because it is locked up in court battles the last time I heard. Issue of copyrights. (Or who owns the rights to the film.)

15. _Xanatos_

Feb 18, 2003
    Well it was somewhere in San Diego, and they used real marines who trained on that beach and they used some real equipment. It was really acurate because they used current stuff since WW2 ended in 48' and SOIJ was made in 49'. And that scene where they raise the flag is the real footage and there is a scene where the camera looks like it was dropped it was real footage if a camera man in the actual battle who got shot. Wayne was also up for best actor. But the movie itself won four oscars.

16. _Xanatos_

Feb 18, 2003
    Hello is anyone still there?

17. waheennay

waheennay Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 29, 2000
    I just saw RIO GRANDE, the last of John Ford's "Cavalry trilogy" on DVD. I've seen the first, FORT APACHE, but not the middle one, SHE WORE A YELLOW RIBBON yet. RG is great because it's the first movie to pair John Wayne with Maureen O'Hara. Ford did the movie for Republic Pictures so he could get financing make his pet project, THE QUIET MAN with Wayne and O'Hara. Another great thing about RIO GRANDE is it's the first movie role for a young Ben Johnson who had been a stunt man and 22 years later won an Oscar for THE LAST PICTURE SHOW. I loved the scene in RG where he and Harey Carey Jr. did "Roman Riding", which is riding on two horses standing up!

18. Latorski

Latorski Jedi Master star 4

Dec 14, 2002
    Anyone see Stagecoach? He's quite young in it but his presence and charisma just leap off the screen.

19. Mrs_Kitty

Mrs_Kitty Jedi Knight star 5

May 23, 2002
    I have a question. I was wondering if y'all could answer. Can you tell me the name of the movie where John Wayne falls in love with a Mormon woman? Plus, I was wondering if any of you knew the quote that she tells him, it's something about the greatest in a person or something like that.

Thank you :)

20. waheennay

waheennay Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 29, 2000
    ANGEL AND THE BADMAN (1947)

21. Mrs_Kitty

Mrs_Kitty Jedi Knight star 5

May 23, 2002
    Thank you waheennay :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.