Before The Dying of the Light (Qui-Gon, RR)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Mistress_Renata, Oct 22, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: Briannakin, mavjade
  1. Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus

star 4
    Hello, all! Over in Resource, I proposed a round robin, starring Qui-Gon Jinn, so here it is. It's a murder mystery, so as you write, try to think of how your post will help advance the mystery.

And a very special HAPPY BIRTHDAY to dianethx! [face_dancing]

THE DYING OF THE LIGHT

Qui-Gon Jinn studied the carnage in the small room, hiding his horror behind a façade of Jedi serenity. The waxy smell of burned candles mingled with other, less savory smells, and he swallowed hard, twice. Taking a deep, cleansing breath would have to wait until he?d left the site. To buy himself some time, he asked, ?You still have not been able to identify the body??

?Not yet,? said the RepSec officer grimly. ?Another runaway, like the others.? He gestured to the wall. ?This is why we asked for your intervention. Does this look familiar to you?? Qui-Gon did not need the Force to sense the other man?s rage. Varr Tennant was professional, but after a series of horrific murders, public pressure on him was intense. And the victims, all young, just teenagers, had been brutally treated before their deaths. He was anxious to catch the perpetrator, and Qui-Gon, having seen the crime scene, was more than eager to help him in that task.

The tall Jedi Knight carefully stepped over the burned-out candle stubs and studied the runes smeared on the wall. ?Jedi runes,? he said quietly. ?But you knew that, or you would not have asked for me.?

?What do they say??

Qui-Gon frowned, puzzling out the runes. ?The old Jedi language is not used much anymore, even within the Order,? he said. ?No Jedi would have done this.?

?I was thinking of the Sith,? said Tennant flatly.

Qui-Gon turned, unable to conceal his surprise. ?The Sith have been extinct for centuries!?

?Their legend remains, Master Jedi. And there are people out there, weirdoes, perverts, who would love to keep that legend alive.?

?A cult?? Qui-Gon turned back, trying to think? as a child, he?d been taught the old runes, of course, but like most of his classmates he never used them, never had to. He stared at them for a long time. ?It doesn?t make sense,? he said finally. ?Just words, gibberish.?

?Tell me,? said Tennant.

?Forever? healing? water?Force? The next one I don?t recognize? then remains?quest?to Temple.? He squinted for a few more minutes. ?This last one says A-shai, but I don?t know what that means.?

?Forever healing water Force something remains quest to Temple A-shai,? repeated Tennant. ?It doesn?t make any sense.?

?It makes sense to someone.? Qui-Gon glanced at Tennant. ?How many others have you found??

?This one is the fourth. This one here, there were two on Alderaan and one on Siniquis.? Tennant frowned, thinking. ?All on different days of the month, and at different phases of the moon-cycles. There doesn?t seem to be any common pattern, except that they were all killed at night.?

?And that could have been done simply because there are fewer people around then,? said Qui-Gon. He looked at the runes again. ?May I take a copy of these? I?d like to send them back to the Temple, and ask the Council of First Knowledge to look at them. Perhaps they?ll recognize something that will help.?

?Be my guest,? said Tennant. He turned to his subordinate. ?Have we got everything??

?Once the, uh, Master Jedi is finished, it?s set,? said the Yulinkwi, casting a nervous look in the brooding Jedi?s direction.

?Fine. You can tell the owners of the building they can clean up whenever they like.? He called to Qui-Gon. ?I?ll wait by the speeder. Take your time.?

Qui-Gon nodded, and returned to his examination of the evidence.

[tag]
  2. DarthIshtar Chosen One

star 9
    Where is it proposed? I'd really like to join in, but don't know how much is planned.
  3. DarthIshtar Chosen One

star 9
    Never mind, I found it.
  4. Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus

star 4
    As to time frame, I'd envisioned Qui-Gon without a Padawan, but I didn't have anything specific in mind, so indulge yourselves. (Ish, you're quick!)
  5. DarthIshtar Chosen One

star 9
    Does he have a partner?
  6. Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus

star 4
    I did have thoughts on that and a bunch of other things, like motive, but this is a RR, and I want everyone else to shape it, too, not just write to fit my ideas! :D

Partner, no partner, time frame, etc... everyone please jump in and make it your own! (Within PG guidelines, of course! ;) )
  7. LilQui-Gon Jedi Knight

star 2
  8. DarthIshtar Chosen One

star 9
    I'll be doing more tonight.
  9. PadawanKitara Force Ghost

star 5
    This looks fun. But don't count on any contributions from me- I'm still busy hiding from Biff!
  10. Healer_Leona Manager Emeritus

star 9
    So, do we post if an idea strikes or queue up to post next??? Don't want to step on any toes.
  11. DarthIshtar Chosen One

star 9
    He found her on the second-floor balcony, gazing out at the setting sun with an air of palpable disgruntlement. Her hands, never still, were frantically shredding a piece of flimsiplast and depositing the remains over the railing.

"Next time, Jinn," Siara Fau growled as he approached with soft tread, "you get to do the mind-numbingly boring part."

"Agreed," he sighed. "There wasn't much to see..."

"Beyond the runes, you mean," she interrupted.

He stopped in his tracks, the smile that her grousing had inspired dissolving into a somewhat puzzled frown. "I wasn't aware you'd been inside the room," he said carefully. "I didn't want you to see the remains."

She spun on her heel, fixing him with a glare that he'd come to fear greatly over the years of their friendship. It was neither fiery nor malicious, but burned like ice against fevered skin.

"You know I hate being coddled," she rasped. "I thought the Council was bad enough, but you are getting insufferable."

He flushed slightly at the accusation. How dare you call me worse than the Council? I'll have you drafting reports for the rest of your miserable life if you say that again.

But then again, that was exactly what the Council was threatening for her. Not because she was disobedient or unqualified. On the contrary, she was one of the more skilled negotiators, a cunning strategist, and almost desperately obedient to the will of the Force, as defined by the Council and tradition.

No, they wanted her at a desk because she was wasting away and any desk would be that much closer to a medcenter.

"I'm sorry," he admitted quietly, hand coming up to stroke her cheek affectionately. "I don't mean to coddle, but there are some things that make me lose my lunch and I thought letting you do the diplomatic nonsense would better use your skills."

She let out a shuddering sigh, sagging back to lean against the railing. "I shouldn't snap at you," she apologized in the same tone.

"I won't tell if you won't," he teased gently, joining her at the railing. "What did you find out?"

She waved an encouraging hand. "First, what did you find?"

His eyes drifted closed as he envisioned the room that was now being thoroughly scrubbed down. "A murder of a sixteen-year-old girl, unidentified because of the facial mutilations. Their local forensics team will be taking dental imprints for a database search, but they surmise that she was a runaway. There was suggestion of..." His throat burned around the next word. "...assault, since she was found in a state of undress and other signs were present."

She had the decency not to inquire after further details, only waved him on, impatient to see if her information lined up with his.

"There were the remains of candles set around," he concluded, "and Jedi runes..."

"Saying Forever healing water Force something remains quest to Temple of Bloodfire."

"A-shai," he substituted his word. "I didn't recognize the word."

"You wouldn't," she smirked, though it looked more like a grimace. "The Order at its inception, while limited, still had dialectic tendencies depending on the origin of a member."

"Naturally," he conceded.

"A-shai came from this planet," she murmured. "It was known in the early days of the Republic for its warmongering and a rather fanatic devotion to a pantheon that demanded vengeance and bloodprices. Many of the words derived from this dialect are unique only in their expansion of the rune vocabulary for violence."

He almost was tempted to laugh, since the Republic briefing on the world involved phrases such as "pacifist tendencies" and "a functional, isolationist democracy which maintains itself by non-violence."

"Strange, I know," she said with a roll of the eyes, "but all things change over the generations. Whoever did this knew of our ways, but had his roots in this sector."

His mouth twitched into a slight smile. "By those qualifications, I'd have to put you under arrest if I didn't know better."

"Bloodfire," she continued, ignoring
  12. DarthIshtar Chosen One

star 9
    "Killed a thread DarthIsh has. How embarrassing. Howwwwwwwwwwwww emBARRASSING."
  13. dianethx Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Boy, you two certainly raised the bar darn high. Renata, your setup is chilling and very intriguing. I love how you've portrayed Qui-Gon in this.
    And Ish, you've certainly introduced a great character and one to give more angst to the whole scenerio.

Great job both of you.
  14. DarthIshtar Chosen One

star 9
  15. Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus

star 4
    Hm, not at all what I'd envisioned! See what happens when we all work together?

I think Leona must be next, since she spoke up. It might be good just to call a place in the queue, to let others know.

Let's see...
  16. DarthIshtar Chosen One

star 9
    Uhoh, was that a compliment or a condemnation? ;) J/K. We should have a planning thread for anyone who doesn't want spoilers, so this isn't running amok.
  17. Healer_Leona Manager Emeritus

star 9
    Oh dear, I had just been inquiring.... I had an idea but much changes are needed.

You ladies are really making it a bit intimidating with your offerings.... If someone has an idea please go ahead..
  18. Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus

star 4
    No, no, go ahead, Leona. Take it in your own direction; it's our job to go from there. I didn't picture this as being angsty, but Ish has added an element of angst. Maybe you want to add some humor? More mystery? A good lightsaber fight? The results of the autopsy? An RR is really a sort of challenge, since the story does not evolve along a predictable path.

Please, Leona. Tackle it. I'm eager to see what you do with it; I enjoy your characterization of Qui-Gon in your stories. I think you pick up on his sensitivity really well. Go for it! (And I only set the bar high because I know the caliber of writers who were interested in participating; had to make sure it was at your standard! :D )
  19. DarthIshtar Chosen One

star 9
    And Ishy wouldn't mind at all if you put some humor in there. I only made it angsty because that's easier for me to control and makes me feel like I can understand the characters better. I'm thrilled to be working with the both of you, since I'm a big fan as it is.
  20. Healer_Leona Manager Emeritus

star 9
    It's going to be a bit for me to get anything completed. I've got a couple 12 hour days at work and Wed. one one my piggies, Lady Sith, is going in for surgery. I hate to make people wait...

Why doesn't someone else pick it up again and I'll join in when I've more time.
  21. DarthIshtar Chosen One

star 9
    Hope the surgery goes well. I've got surgery on Nov. 9.
  22. Healer_Leona Manager Emeritus

star 9
    *sneaks on at lunch*I'm hoping the best too Wookieman (hubby) is very overly concerned... poor guy.

What kind of surgery Ish?
  23. DarthIshtar Chosen One

star 9
    I've had this cyst the size of a grapefruit since at least April and it's been getting bigger, so they want to take it out and I might need to have the entire ovary removed because of where/what it is. So I'll have the surgery on the 9th, be back home on the 13th. I'm so relieved that I'll finally get this taken care of because I've just been tired and in so much pain for 7 months about and it's been driving me crazy.
  24. Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus

star 4
    I'm sure it will all go smoothly, Ish. [face_love] We will be thinking of you! Okay, Leona is taking a pass (but you're after whoever goes next! ;) )

Anyone else?
  25. DarthIshtar Chosen One

star 9
    Yay, Leona's coming up! I don't doubt the whole thing will go well, it's just very stressful because I'm in a choir that performs a lot and it comes right after one week of concerts and before the first of our christmas season concerts. So I'll probably be up and around before I'm ready.
Moderators: Briannakin, mavjade
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.