main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends The Dying of the Light (Qui-Gon, RR)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Mistress_Renata, Oct 22, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    Haha! ::Hides.:: Okay, there's my grand scheme laid out.

2. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Does everyone else realize we've got 73 whole pages, single-spaced? Wow!

3. Zedd-Vega

Zedd-Vega Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 13, 2003
    *pokes Ishtar*

Nicely done! A great compliment to my post indeed!

4. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Yay, thanks. :p

5. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Takers? Next-in-line is K_D, right?

6. Knight_Dilettante

Knight_Dilettante Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 24, 2002
    Yeah, but I'm gonna try for some more tie-ups to complement what you have already done, Ish and I need to re-read everything and take notes and stuff 'cause we have quite the diverse collection of clues here. I'll try to get something posted by Sunday mid-morning (board time) if that is ok with everyone.

My hubby is gonna want to go out on a date tonight (and I didn't get a chance to grab it all yet) so I can't start until tomorrow morning. Not that I am complaining exactly. I like dates. Figs too. g, d, & rfc

KD

7. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Cool, i'll be looking for it.

8. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000
    Take your time, KD. We know it will be worth waiting for! And yes, I know any of my further contributions will only be done after serious note-taking & re-reading. That's the challenge of mysteries! :)

And well done, Ish! I loved some of the phrases (the opponent swinging a lightsaber like a new-minted Padawan, for one) and loved to see Jossa get her sass back ("I can't leave you alone for five minutes!"). Excellent!

This is really coming together so nicely, everyone. Thank you all for such excellent contributions; I really feel rather proud of this. Anyone want to jump into the queue after KD?

9. Zedd-Vega

Dec 13, 2003
    If no one minds, I'll go after KD. I'm liking where this is going.

"Much action I sense, hmm..."

10. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001

Thanks, Renata! I have Ophelia to thank for some of this because I was scared to make the combat more graphic than blow-by-blow and she just went "Relax and go for it!" and lines like the swinging the lightsaber came out of it. Jossa's sass reminded me of Nick in Shatterpoint, who keeps bragging about Mace's jiffies being off the roaster because of him, but every time he helps Mace, Mace gets into more trouble.

11. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Cool, so I wonder if anyone will delurk here...

12. Knight_Dilettante

Jul 24, 2002
    Well, I'll delurk to post the next bit. There was a LOT of stuff to go through. I have cleaned up some of the loose threads. I hope whoever is next will be happy with the lead-in I have provided. And I have provided a way to get the answers should people so desire.

and now I need a nap...

KD

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Assuming he had been being fed once per day, which seemed consistant with his stomach's complaints, he had been there now twenty three days. He had learned the third day that no food was left if he did not leave the empty dishes by the door. The first day the rodents had gotten to everything before he had, and so he had left the dishes where they had been placed. The second day he had happened to be sitting near the door when the food arrived and so had been able to eat without the other residents obtaining any of his food. But he had left the dishes much further inside the door in order to use the tray collection as a way to attempt escape. That had been an embarassing debacle as his jailer had opened the door only long enough to see that the tray was that far in and then slammed it shut again before he had even begun to make his escape attempt.

He had paid attention and eventually had worked out which guards were which by the sound of their boots, and so each time a shift change occurred, which only happened every five days, he had kept one of the utensils off his tray. He had broken the first fork trying to pry open the door lock. He had honed the shards on the stone until he had had three good lock picks as far as he could tell by feel. Unfortunately the lock was on the other side of the door. It was an old-fashioned tumbler lock but no matter how much he tried to draw on the Force to use it to telekinetically manipulate the lock he couldn't manage it. He thought perhaps it was due to whatever was keeping him from using the Force to sense anything outside his cell. But he admitted in the dark that it was possible he was simply not good enough at using the Force in that way.

Still his hearing worked. And the guard was coming. Today was the last in a series of experiments to see just how far into the cell the guard would come with the food. He had discovered that if he was sitting in the light of the open door when the guard came and was at the far corner of the cell, the guard would come further in. Last week he had practically demolished the second utensil he had kept in carefully scraping marks that would let him find the limits of the light. So today he had carefully placed his boots and robe to look as though he was sleeping against the far wall when the guard arrived. He had found that if he was sleeping they came even further in. After the fifth day, he had not made even the smallest attempt at an escape while being fed. Not because he had given up but because it was clear he had needed to be so very careful with the guards. So they would be lulled into a false sense of security about his intentions.

He needed to get out today or die in the attempt. He hadn't had long in his masquerade as Phinkara but he had managed to find something that he was fairly sure was a real data chip and not a plant. Mainly because, if it had been a plant one of his earlier escape attempts would have worked. They had left him his data reader and if he had been inclined the contempt with which his brother had treated him would have been annoying. When he had seen everything on the data chip, a clear copy of the mangled one the Temple already had, he was very grateful for that contempt. It meant they had a chance as long as he could get the information to the Temple in time.

Careful observation during the last week as he had feigned sleep had also taught him that the guards always entered unarmed but were alone in the section of hall that fronted his cell. So he was in a specially created space. Snatches of conversation that he had managed to catch, lead him to conclude that most probably there was another door with another guard he would have to get past to actually escape, possibly more than one,

13. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Oh, I just LOVE that ending to the scene. And I loved the prison dynamic, the analysis of what he could control.

14. Zedd-Vega

Dec 13, 2003
    :eek:

*is speechless*

BRAVISIMO! =D=

15. anekasolo

anekasolo Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 16, 2001
    Wow! TWO posts!

Ish, I love the idea of jossa coming to Qui-gon's rescue. ("Gluttonous gods of the Gamorreans" hee hee hee)

KD, wonderful as usual. I'm so glad Mesfrin managed to find his way out of his cell.

BTW, Zedd-Vega, I was running late last time I signed on so I didn't have the chance to say that your post was excelant. I'm so glad someone else did that action siquence. you did it justice.

16. K'Tai qel Letta-Tanku

K'Tai qel Letta-Tanku Jedi Grand Master star 3

Apr 18, 2000
    *Slips in to take a look around, sees murder mystery, forgets J.A. Jance novel upstairs and settles in...*

Wow! This is great. Everyone should be proud with the RR. You all have done a fantastic job with continity, characterization, and in particular, voice. Your voices are remarkably synergystic and give the piece a cohesiveness that is sometimes hard to come by in a RR. I really have a hard time telling who wrote what (and in the case of a RR, that is a big accomplishment)! Bravo!

More? Please? [face_batting]

-K'Tai

17. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Thanks, T'kai.

18. Zedd-Vega

Dec 13, 2003
    If I am next, I will have something later today.

19. Rogue_Solo

Rogue_Solo Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 21, 2001
    So, I'm a bit late, and I've only read the first two posts, but I like it a lot. = D

20. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Cool, glad to see you here.

21. anekasolo

anekasolo Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 16, 2001
    Hiya, Rogue_Solo!

Is anyone going after Zedd-Vega?

22. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    I don't know.

23. Knight_Dilettante

Jul 24, 2002
    I believe Diane mentioned something to me about considering doing another post. And I was indeed under the impression that ZV was going next.

I would have kept going a bit with some actual answer providing (via a conversation between Mesfrin and Kinz) but that part was already getting sooooo long that I decided it was better to take explanations out. So I've still got stuff I can do after others have had a whack at it, as long as my ideas aren't rendered unrecoverable by something someone else does in the mean time.

KD

24. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Yay, question-answerings!

25. Zedd-Vega

Dec 13, 2003
    RL has diverted me from the boards. I must kill Darth RL before it takes over.

Sorry, I'll get to work on that post straight away!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.