main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST The Effect Of The Sequel Trilogy On Star Wars

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Ender_and_Bean, Dec 27, 2017.

1. The Supreme Chancellor

The Supreme Chancellor Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2012
    My argument: previous SW media has in-universe stated that the blades are weightless. Which coincides with the physics of reality, that laser energy is weightless (ref laser pointer).
    Your argument: the director of the film once said in a production meeting that he wanted the actors to wield them like they were heavy.
    Show some respect, this "troll" is a Jedi Master.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 23, 2018
    -LordSkywalker- likes this.
  2. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    Where did I ever say not to reference the animated series? You might want to pay attention to who posts what.

3. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    If you think someone is trolling either ignore them or report them. Personal attacks are not okay.

4. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    Depends on the point. What becomes "pointless" could very well be the idea that these new movies are going to be anything like Lucas' Star Wars other than in name.

Not that I didn't expect that to happen eventually but I am surprised it can so quickly. I'd have thought with series of 3 films called the sequel trilogy they would want to connect closer to Lucas' 6 movies. He gave them stories to work from (which they did to some degree) and it's not like it's difficult to follow the lines he set down. If they wanted to veer off in totally new directions that is fine but why not do those in non-saga movies?

I find it bizarre that RJ's trilogy will be better planned out than the ST seems to be. Why didn't they get one film-maker be it JJ, RJ or whomever to write and direct the first movie then oversee the other two in terms of treatments or exec producing? Once they got JJ I wondered why not have him do VII and IX as writer-director and be involved in VIII in as much as having a through-line that feeds into IX?

Now at least because RJ left everything open JJ can at least do whatever he wants. I mean to say there is pretty much nothing he can't do with Luke or Snoke or any character outside of those that are out of the story with no way to return. Now I'd say recast Leia but it looks like they won't do that which is too bad because that story really should be told.

As I said since Rey is clearly unique and a distinct Force vergence like Anakin and is akin to the difference between the Death Star and SKB then Rey is obviously a 10sx more Chosen One than Anakin. So she as such isn't the problem.

The "problem" is that if we are to believe that they wanted Rey to be the Anakin/Luke of the ST then I'd say they really got it wrong because she has been robbed of being the awesome characters that they are. Now if she is ultimately more the Obi-Wan and "a true Jedi" then it's far less a problem. It's just that I think like many we thought that Rey was supposed to be either THE central character or it was her and Ren. Now we realize that in fact it's not her but Ren that is the central character and that burden of being compared to Anakin and Luke is now off Rey as it's really Ren.

That's the thing you see I actually thought that the non-Skywalker was the one we should be comparing to Skywalkers and I (and many others) were wrong. It's not about her.

Now the problem I see is that does JJ know this? If not then the whole thing might get out of focus if he thinks that this is Rey's trilogy when it's now clearly Ren's with Rey his Obi-Wan.

5. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014
    You might as well ask why George didn’t plan either of the trilogies he oversaw out fully in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Qui-Riv-Brid

Apr 18, 2013
    Sorry but I find that an odd stance and don't see that that has to do with anything we are talking about here.

Lucas DIDN'T do that. I mean never mind that he wrote all the scripts, created the stories and was THE film-maker of the movies. So that is really what the point is. RJ is going to be THE film-maker of his trilogy (as far as we know right now) so right there he's the Lucas of that trilogy and yet the ST clearly did not get the same consideration.

I find that really, really odd.

T-R-, AhsokaSolo and Shadao like this.
  7. Nate787

Nate787 Jedi Master star 3

Jan 29, 2016
    My apologies.

You're still referencing deleted material. Deleted material doesn't count.

8. Nate787

Jan 29, 2016
    Star Wars: The Last Jedi
    JJ Abrams - Executive Producer

http://m.imdb.com/title/tt2527336/fullcredits/producer?ref_=m_ttfc_4

[​IMG]

9. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    Apology accepted.

It's in the novel and screenplay, ergo part of canon. It certainly counts more than someone's "let's pretend Rey used a sword" theory.

Lt. Hija and -LordSkywalker- like this.
  10. Qui-Riv-Brid

Apr 18, 2013
    Yes because it clearly shows JJ had actual say over TLJ because the movie in no way undermines TFA.

They were so on the same page that is why the last scene of TFA and the continuation of that scene in TLJ join up as if they shot that together.

Oh wait... that didn`t happen.

In Hollywood there are so many producer credits it`s a joke of Hollywood.

Let`s just look at one of the co-creators of JJ`s own series LOST who is credited and payed but really had nought to do with it:

http://www.chicagomag.com/Chicago-Magazine/August-2007/Cast-Away/

11. Nate787

Jan 29, 2016
    Star Wars: The Last Jedi
    JJ Abrams - Executive Producer

http://m.imdb.com/title/tt2527336/fullcredits/producer?ref_=m_ttfc_4

Dance around that however your little heart desires.

12. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011
    Those in-universe references aren't canon.

George Lucas said they have weight.

Canon references say they have weight.

You personally believe something so you're passing it off as canon.

KembaSkywalker likes this.
  13. The Supreme Chancellor

Sep 4, 2012
    When?

When?

14. DarthPhilosopher

Jan 23, 2011
    During the production of the OT.

Rebels.

15. The Supreme Chancellor

Sep 4, 2012
    So an offhand remark in the production meeting, not stating anything about the weight of the saber but how the actors should look.
    And another offhand comment from a cartoon likely referring to the hilt.

Not very concrete.

16. DarthPhilosopher

Jan 23, 2011
    I give up.

KembaSkywalker likes this.
  17. Nadroj ilain

Nadroj ilain Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 8, 2018
    Let me ask you this... Vader with a bowcaster shot to the gut vs TFA rey?? Who wins.. I doubt the answer even is a tie. PT Yoda with a bowcaster injury vs rey??? Mace Windu with the same injury vs rey???

All of those would end either with rey disarmed and having to pull off a desperate escape...or a badly injured (one of the examples given) realizing their wound needs attention and disarming rey/knocking her out/force pushing her a mile away/force jumping themselves a safe distance away or in to an already prepared plan b escape pod.

But kylo ren master of the knights of ren and a trained swordsman who trained for YEARS to become vader 2.0 loses control?? Nay actually loses the fight??? Come on!

Lets say i even give you the fact that rey could keep up with an injured kylo in a light saber duel at least concede the fact that he should still have had the upperhand due to his force abilities/knowledge.

But theres NO way rey should have been able to hold her own against the Pguards. Staff and sword fighting are not equivalents. Even if you say shes self taught...theres no way shes beating a trained swordsman.
    Her saber feats alone in TFA and TLJ make vader slaughtering the younglings seem impossible as they as well have sword training.

-LordSkywalker- and T-R- like this.
  18. DarthPhilosopher

Jan 23, 2011
    I think we shouldn't assume Kylo is the equivalent of Vader.

19. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    two of these characters are force sensative. I get your point I was agreeing with you.

20. Nadroj ilain

Nadroj ilain Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 8, 2018
    So...luke skywalkers training and snokes training arent enough to make darth vaders grandson at least comparable??

How are the stakes raised from the OT to the ST? We should be allowed to make the jump that kylo ren is comparable to vader If even luke is in awe of his raw power

21. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    The ST has shown the strongest force power in my opinion. So it has upped the ante in that regard.

22. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    It may not be as flashy (jumping huge distances ala the Maul fight on Naboo) but I agree. Snoke mentally bonding Rey and Ben together and Luke projecting himself are supremely powerful on their own. Ben stopping the blaster bolt was also impressive.

23. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Snoke's lightning was also very cool.

themoth likes this.
  24. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    I'd love to see teleporting. Like when the Cloned Emperor was able to teleport Luke from Coruscant to Byss in Dark Empire.
    http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Force_storm_(wormhole)

T-R- and The Supreme Chancellor like this.
  25. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Force projection is sorta a lesser version of teleportation.