main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends THE EIGHTH CORTEX (NJO: Anakin Solo, Jacen, Jaina, Tahiri, H/L, L/M, Kyp,others) Completed 5/12/04!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by YodaKenobi, Nov 26, 2003.

1. Star-Lead

Star-Lead Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 22, 2003
    And so to Yuuzhan'Tar, huh?

2. YodaKenobi

YodaKenobi Former TFN Books Staff star 6 VIP

May 27, 2003
    WOW!! This is really getting good.
    Can't wait to see what happens next. It'd better have to do with Anakin
    Seriously, you need to post more soon.

Thanks FamousAmous......Anakin next? maybe ;)

And so to Yuuzhan'Tar, huh?

eventually, the Jedi have a lot of planning to do first. :)

thanks for reading, Star-Lead :D

3. Tahiri-Solo

Tahiri-Solo Jedi Master star 4

Nov 21, 2001
    *bounce bounce bounce!*

great story!!! more soon more soon!!!!

4. YodaKenobi

May 27, 2003
    *bounce bounce bounce!*

ooowwww, you're hurting my lap [face_mischief]

Thanks, Tahiri-Solo :D

5. Thrawn McEwok

Thrawn McEwok Co-Author: Essential Guide to Warfare star 6 VIP

May 9, 2000
    Brilliant!!

Anyone else think that Jacen's characterization in that post was better than most of the pro-fic? Not different... just better?

:D

And Mara?!

Yay!

:D :D

- The Imperial Ewok

6. Whitey

Whitey Jedi Master star 6

Jan 26, 2003
    Excellent post! :D

Great characterization, though you succeeded in making me hate Jacen even more. 8-}

And is it safe to that Danni will go to Yuuzhan'tar, as well. She just can't get leave Jacen's side these days, it seems. ;) (Oh, and thanks James Luceno, for turning their relationship into "oh, we thought we felt something, but we didn't" [face_plain])

I'm eager to see Anakin soon.

7. YodaKenobi

May 27, 2003
    Thanks Thrawn McEwok!!!! :D

Anyone else think that Jacen's characterization in that post was better than most of the pro-fic? Not different... just better?

Wow, thanks. I thought he seemed a little too whinny in this one, but he gets better :p

And Mara?!

Yay!

of course ;) it pained me to write the first fic without her.

Thanks Whitey, as always! :)

Great characterization, though you succeeded in making me hate Jacen even more.

lol, as I said, he gets better :p

And is it safe to that Danni will go to Yuuzhan'tar, as well. She just can't get leave Jacen's side these days, it seems.

Who goes to Coruscant is a secret, sorry. But I will say that atleast one of the Jedi who go will not be coming back [face_devil] but I like Danni too, and she is definitley IN this story.

(Oh, and thanks James Luceno, for turning their relationship into "oh, we thought we felt something, but we didn't" )

Yeah, that was weird. I like Danni, but I'm completely indifferent about the J/D relationship.

BTW, Why do you want Jacen and Danni together if you don't like Jacen?

I'm eager to see Anakin soon.

Me too. I think I'll put him in the story! :p

8. Thrawn McEwok

May 9, 2000
    YK: Wow, thanks. I thought he seemed a little too whinny in this one, but he gets better :p

What do you mean, 'better'? [face_mischief] I thought the whining came across as far more sympathetic, far more real than usual... genuinely human... wrong, sure, but definately human... tolerable, in fact...

of course ;) it pained me to write the first fic without her.

So who's going on this mission to Yuuzhan'tar, anyway? Wrev, Jacen and Mara seem like a disastrous combination already... I take it that's the idea? [face_mischief]

Hurry up and post more!

- The Imperial Ewok

9. Whitey

Jan 26, 2003
    BTW, Why do you want Jacen and Danni together if you don't like Jacen?

Sometimes I can't stand him, sometimes I think he's all right. If anything, I like their relationship because I get to see more of Danni. 8-}

10. YodaKenobi

May 27, 2003
    What do you mean, 'better'? I thought the whining came across as far more sympathetic, far more real than usual... genuinely human... wrong, sure, but definately human... tolerable, in fact...

glad you liked, I guess we'll see how long that lasts :p

So who's going on this mission to Yuuzhan'tar, anyway? Wrev, Jacen and Mara seem like a disastrous combination already... I take it that's the idea?

Well, seeing as how they're going to meet Nom Anor, the mission was a disaster from it's conception. I won't tell you who's going, but you might be able to guess at what they would need for such a mission. This is not a combat mission, so that might be a good clue :D

Hurry up and post more!

Tomorrow or Thursday for sure, I've got chapter 3 typed up already, but I was going to give others a chance to catch up :p

Sometimes I can't stand him, sometimes I think he's all right. If anything, I like their relationship because I get to see more of Danni.

Yeah, I know what you mean ;) she's not hard on the eyes, is she [face_mischief]

Whitey, I got you a present, check it out:

Private message from Danni Quee, for Whitey's eyes only!

Enjoy buddy, [face_mischief]

11. Thrawn McEwok

May 9, 2000
    YK: glad you liked, I guess we'll see how long that lasts :p

Why do I get this sense that you're going to do things with Jacen that I'll really, really enjoy? [face_mischief]

Well, seeing as how they're going to meet Nom Anor, the mission was a disaster from it's conception.

Heck, when you put it that way, it sounds like the sort of plan Wraith Squadron would have come up with after a few bottles of whiskey... so I'm not ruling anything out yet... :D

I won't tell you who's going, but you might be able to guess at what they would need for such a mission. This is not a combat mission, so that might be a good clue :D

Danni? Tahiri?

Tomorrow or Thursday for sure, I've got chapter 3 typed up already, but I was going to give others a chance to catch up :p

And :p to you, too!

- The Imperial Ewok

12. _Jedi_of_Destiny_

_Jedi_of_Destiny_ Jedi Padawan star 4

May 17, 2003
    Great characterization, though you succeeded in making me hate Jacen even more.

lol, as I said, he gets better

By better do you mean worse?

Great post, Glad to see Mara there and ready to do something productive.

When Jacen volunteered for this mission it reminded me of when he volunteered for Myrkr.
    Even though he objected to both he went along first to watch Anakin and next to watch Wrev.

I can't wait to see Anakin! Or rather I can't wait to read Anakin. :p

13. Whitey

Jan 26, 2003
    A message from Danni, eh? I'll check that out later, for fear of embarassing myself in front of my brother. 8-}

Edit: Just checked it out.

Danni, you shouldn't have. [face_love] I'm not that strong, you know. But I could teach you a few things about math. [face_mischief] Alas, I am only a boy, and you are a mere fictional character. :(

[face_laugh] 8-}

14. YodaKenobi

May 27, 2003

Why do I get this sense that you're going to do things with Jacen that I'll really, really enjoy?

I don't know [face_devil]...I'm not someone who hates Jacen though.....most of the time, anyway :p

Heck, when you put it that way, it sounds like the sort of plan Wraith Squadron would have come up with after a few bottles of whiskey... so I'm not ruling anything out yet...

lol, I don't know much about the wraiths, except for BEL books [face_blush]

Danni? Tahiri?

no comment [face_plain]

By better do you mean worse?

Guess it depends on your perspective, but Jacen will be a hero in the story, for what it's worth.

Great post, Glad to see Mara there and ready to do something productive.

Thanks, JOD :) Yeah, I like Mara too, even though the NJO ruined her just like Han, Kyp, Luke, Jacen.....I better quit, the list is long [face_plain]

When Jacen volunteered for this mission it reminded me of when he volunteered for Myrkr.
    Even though he objected to both he went along first to watch Anakin and next to watch Wrev.

Yeah, thats true. I can't remember if I was thinking that when I wrote it, but I kind of remember that I was....it was a couple of months ago though :p

And since you brought up Wrev, don't forget what he was doing at the end of "Revolution" [face_devil]

I can't wait to see Anakin! Or rather I can't wait to read Anakin.

FINE! I'll post the next chapter tomorrow....and Anakin might be in it :D

A message from Danni, eh? I'll check that out later, for fear of embarassing myself in front of my brother.

Wuss

Danni, you shouldn't have. I'm not that strong, you know.

You can press the keys on your board hard enough that they showed up in that message, that makes you stronger than I picture Jacen :p

But I could teach you a few things about math. Alas, I am only a boy, and you are a mere fictional character.

so sad :_|

15. YodaKenobi

May 27, 2003
    post coming today, chapter is broken into Two different POV's.........Yu'shaa's in it :p

16. Thrawn McEwok

May 9, 2000
    YK: I don't know [face_devil] ...I'm not someone who hates Jacen though.....most of the time, anyway :p

Oh, I don't hate the character. I just find him intensely annoying. Here, though, I find him understandable... which is to say, he's doing what he's doing because of, rather than in spite of, his emotions and unconscious...

Doesn't mean I don't think he'd be more interesting as something more ambiguous than the 'hero' he's been cast as in the NJO... :D

lol, I don't know much about the wraiths, except for BEL books [face_blush]

Put it this way... they were the people who came up with the idea of the Jedi surfing down to the surface of Coruscant...

no comment [face_plain]

So that's a 'maybe' then, yes? Or a 'yes' then, maybe? [face_mischief]

Jacen will be a hero in the story, for what it's worth.

N O O O :eek: O :eek: O :eek: O :_| O :_| O :_| O [face_laugh] O [face_laugh] O [face_laugh]!

post coming today

"Yippee!"

Oops. Wrong Anakin.

:p

- The Imperial Ewok

17. YodaKenobi

May 27, 2003

Oh, I don't hate the character. I just find him intensely annoying. Here, though, I find him understandable... which is to say, he's doing what he's doing because of, rather than in spite of, his emotions and unconscious...

gottcha ;) he is annoying :p

Doesn't mean I don't think he'd be more interesting as something more ambiguous than the 'hero' he's been cast as in the NJO...

yeah, that made me a little sick as well.

Put it this way... they were the people who came up with the idea of the Jedi surfing down to the surface of Coruscant...

Yeah, I remember that :p I had to come up with a different way of getting Jedi on Coruscant... that will be up in awhile. Not as much fun as surfing, but a little more believable I think.

So that's a 'maybe' then, yes? Or a 'yes' then, maybe?

how about, "you'll see." :p

N O O O O O O O O O O O !

I said "A hero". Not "always right", or as I like to call it, "corran horn-ish"

"Yippee!"

Oops. Wrong Anakin.

lol, I appreciate the enthusiasim :D

18. YodaKenobi

May 27, 2003
    Chapter 3

The ankle high water splashed to their knees as the pair trudged through the Yuuzhan Vong organ beneath Yuuzhan'tar. The sound of their boots punching the water's surface echoed through the slippery tunnel in both directions, revealing their location to their pursuers. They could also hear their pursuers gaining on them, with the water's aid.

"Uhla," said the male, "we have to find the exit fast, they're closing on us."

"Yes, Great One," she answered, running a hand through her wet, dark hair. "It is not far."

They had been on the run for two days, and he was getting tired. The stab wound in his thigh had not had a chance to heal, and three full days had passed since he last slept.

He used the back of his hand to wipe the sweat from his brow and continued to follow Uhla down the organ. The Yuuzhan Vong living organism was part of a system which distributed water throughout Yuuzhan'tar, and he imagine was part of a larger creature. Uhla had called it the moylrri.

Uhla carried a lambent wrapped in a thin sheath to dampen it's brilliance, but provide enough light for the pair to navigate their way through the water-filled tunnel. The light cast a haunting shimmer from the waters on the glistening walls of pinkish flesh.

They continued around a slow curve when they were suddenly yanked to a halt by two sets of outstretched arms. From the dim light of the lambent he could make out the features of two shamed ones. They looked mal nourished, with sunken in eyes and cheeks, there ribs were showing, hair patchy and thinning on sloped forheads.

"Go," Uhla ordered them, pointing the shamed ones in the direction they had been traveling.

The shamed ones stepped away from the opening they'd emerged and trotted down the tunnel until they disappeared outside of the lambent's field of light. He could still hear them sloshing away in the darkness, as well as the sounds of the warriors continuing to eliminate the distance between them.

"This way, Great One," Uhla announced, gesturing to the opening the two shamed ones had come from.

"What will happen to them?" He asked, pointing in the direction the shamed ones had left.

"The warriors will continue to chase them, thinking they are you and I," Uhla reasoned. "They will find an opening to the city streets and blend in, the warriors will not find them there, as they would you."

He followed Uhla into the opening and the pair waited while the cadre of Yuuzhan Vong warriors marched past them, chasing the noise of the evading shamed ones. After a few moments, they continued on crawling through the sledge inside the organ’s ventricle.

"This will take us to Yu'shaa," Uhla assured.

"Chreev sends word that they will be here soon, Master," Kunra announced. The former warrior was well past his prime, if such an age existed for Kunra, and joined the ranks of the shamed ones long ago, cast from the warriors ranks because of his cowardice.

"Did he confirm his identity?" Nom Anor asked.

He let the ooglith masquer slide up his body as its microscopic tendrils penetrated his skin until it swallowed him. He didn't enjoy the process but it was necessary to disguise himself as a shamed one to take the role of Yu'shaa.

"Chreev has not seen him, but two other acolytes claim it is he. It is the Jeedai," Kunra answered.

Nom Anor nodded. He knew of course, that it was not true. He had died at Myrkr, Nom Anor had seen it--not seen it as much as saw it was about to happen. The Jedi had been killed by many warriors, but had thrown a thermal detonator at Nom Anor. The Executor had run to escape alive, still, he had no doubt that the Jedi was dead.

Nom Anor began to wrap Yu'shaa's ceremonial robes around his smaller-than-average frame as he pondered his impending encounter. The news from the arena had traveled to him through the shamed ones and he was filled with a sense of trepidation since. In truth, he had been on edge since he started the Yu'shaa facade, but the new development threatened to take the heresy to a level he was not prepared for.

If the news from the arena was true, a large group of shamed ones had rebelled and killed three hundred warriors with the aid of a Jedi Knight. Nom Anor had only intended for the heresy to eliminate his old political rivals, and elevate him back into his place among the Yuuzhan Vong elite. If the revolution spread, he knew he would never be in Supreme Overlord Shimrra's favor again.

Conversely, the news of the Jedi could help him. He knew that it was not the Jedi, as the shamed ones claimed, but if it was a Jedi, one who was easily manipulated, Nom Anor was confident he could play it to his advantage.

"Any more news?" Nom Anor asked.

"Word has spread that Commander Hul Choka was killed in the coup," Kunra offered.

Hul Choka was the brother of Warmaster, Nas Choka; his death would not go unnoticed.

"And no news of what the ceremony in the arena was about to begin with?"

"None," Kunra confirmed. "We know only that the priests had gathered a hundred suspected heretics to view the proceedings."

"Regretting that I suppose," Nom Anor remarked.

As much as he feared the ramifications of open rebellion, the idea that he had been the one to insight it brought a small smirk to his masquered face.

Nom Anor finished his disguise and was finally ready to leave his private quarters. Kunra led the way out of the swinging doors and Nom Anor stepped around the half-dozen guards that were always posted there since the assassination attempt by Shoon-mi. Nom Anor was not going to allow another of his underlings a chance after how close he'd come to being killed.

He knew some were angry at his callus disregard for their lives, and his willingness to sacrifice them for the i]greater good.[/i] He hoped this Jedi would cement his position as the leader of the shamed ones and quite the groans of discontent. If the Jedi was easily manipulated, he could be the answer to all of Nom Anor's problems.

The six guards traveled with Nom Anor and Kunra down the long passage into the audience chamber; the Jedi would be received there. The former Executor let his demeanor portray that of Yu'shaa, and not Nom Anor's normal arrogance; he was a brilliant actor.

The passage had an unpleasant odor, as much of Yuuzhan'tar did. It was slightly better underground where Nom Anor and his heretics hid, than on the surface. There was something wrong with the World Brain, and Nom Anor knew it was Jacen Solo who'd caused it.

Two large doors creaked open and they reached the end of the passage and entered the audience chamber filled with his disciples. The shamed ones knelt before him and bowed their heads to the floor as Nom Anor swept into the room and took his place at the dais.

Instead of standing at the dais as he would normally to address his congregation, he sat on a round throne of salmon colored muscle. The muscles constricted and softened to form to his body shape, allowing him to sink into it comfortably. Comfort was not something most Yuuzhan Vong would seek, but Nom Anor was not most.

The throne was not as extravagant as he would have preferred, but a bit of simplicity went a long way with the shamed ones. If he were to flaunt wealth or possessions, which he did not have anyway, he would lose their support.

There would be no speech today; he was here to receive the supposed Jedi, not spread the word. The guards stayed at the entrance and Kunra took his place next to Nom Anor's throne.

Nom Anor folded his hands and let a sigh escape him as he began to wait for the Jedi's arrival. Before he could wonder how long it would take, a shamed one burst into the audience chamber from the opposite end. He was dressed in the simple loincloth that most of them were decorated with.

"They are here!" He shouted to the shamed ones.

The congregation erupted in a sea of chatter. The messenger walked to the dais and bowed low before taking a seat in the audience and joining the others in a non-blinking stare at the door from which he'd just emerged. The congregation returned to its silent state and the anticipation in the room peaked.

Nom Anor caught a quick glimpse of a Yuuzhan Vong female appearing in the entrance before the shamed ones rose and his view was blocked. A chorus of gasps echoed through the chamber and Nom Anor found himself out of his throne and on his feet trying to peer over the obstructing heads.

The crowd parted and the female he had seen before emerged. She was attractive for a shamed one, with a thin figure and thick black hair. Her clothes were soaked and dirty; the rumors of the pair traveling through the water moylrri were true.

Then he emerged.

The poncho her wore was drenched like the females but his clothes were also stained with blood. A dirty tourniquet was cinched around his right thigh and the silver cylinder that hung from his hip was also marred with dirt. The Jedi's brown hair was tangled and hung past his eyebrows but not covering his blue eyes. Just as it had been the last time Nom Anor saw him at Myrkr, his face was covered with several days beard growth, though his feature had matured.

How can this be? He had seen the Jedi die, how could he have survived? How had he made his way to Yuuzhan'tar? Nom Anor felt his heart had stopped beating as his mind raced for answers and a plan. He could think of none, but he knew he had to play his role.

They approached the dais and he spoke.

"Uhla, is this Yu'shaa?"

Before she could confirm it, Nom Anor stepped forward and gave a bow to the Jedi.

"Yes, I am Yu'shaa," he confirmed, giving a slight bow. "I already know who you are, Anakin Solo."

ChairAgainstWall likes this.
  19. Tahi

Tahi Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    Fascinating post, Yoda. I really enjoyed all the in-fighting and the way you go into the various philosophies of each of the group. It's getting quite dramatic! :)

Yes, Mara. I knew we would get shot down on Ombi'taer and stumble upon shamed ones who worshipped Jedi. Everything went just as I planned." Wrev said sarcastically. :D Great bit of dialogue.

I see Jacen is up to his old tricks again. Boy it'll be good when Anakin gets back into the fray. I wonder if he's going to influence Jacen in any way? ;)

The analysis of the battles was great and you showed the different points of view well. I especially liked the way you wrote Kyp. You write him with an empathy which makes him interesting. Good work, my friend. :)

20. Thrawn McEwok

May 9, 2000
    "Yes, I am Yu'shaa," he confirmed, giving a slight bow. "I already know who you are, Anakin Solo."

Wraa-hoo!

This is great!

[takes deep breath, tries to stop grinning]

[fails]

how about, "you'll see." :p

Depends how long we have to wait... ;)

I said "A hero". Not "always right", or as I like to call it, "corran horn-ish"

Can I hope that he's going to make some really, really stupid mistakes? ?[face_plain] But actually manage to face up to what he's done and become? :D

Kinda like a mini-Vader? [face_mischief]

- The Imperial Ewok

21. forceaddict

forceaddict Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 20, 2002
    great story so far YK

anakin is back, yay

22. _Jedi_of_Destiny_

_Jedi_of_Destiny_ Jedi Padawan star 4

May 17, 2003
    Yes, I am Yu'shaa," he confirmed, giving a slight bow. "I already know who you are, Anakin Solo."

How would Yu'shaa know of Anakin Solo or at least his features? I wonder if Anor's identity will be exposed.

Anakin made a great entrance. It was detailed such that I could imagine it happening, like watching a movie rather than reading a story. Excellent chapter. I also liked Nom's surprise at seeing the Jedi he thought was dead.

More soon, right Yoda?

23. YodaKenobi

May 27, 2003
    Thanks everybody, I appreciate you taking the time to read it :D

Fascinating post, Yoda. I really enjoyed all the in-fighting and the way you go into the various philosophies of each of the group. It's getting quite dramatic!

Thanks so much, Tahi! I'm glad, I was afraid it might be boring :)

I see Jacen is up to his old tricks again. Boy it'll be good when Anakin gets back into the fray. I wonder if he's going to influence Jacen in any way?

You're assuming they ever see each other again [face_devil]

The analysis of the battles was great and you showed the different points of view well. I especially liked the way you wrote Kyp. You write him with an empathy which makes him interesting. Good work, my friend.

Kyp's one of my favorites because hes so complex. The NJO made him one-demensional for a long time, but that is one thing that improved towards the end of the series.

This is great!

[takes deep breath, tries to stop grinning]

[fails]

hey, thanks Thrawn McEwok......did I ever tell you that's a great user name? cos it is [face_laugh]

Depends how long we have to wait...

can't even remember what we were talking about anymore :p

Can I hope that he's going to make some really, really stupid mistakes? But actually manage to face up to what he's done and become?

ummmmm...... Jacen is going to face some truths during the story, this is only the second of three so not everything will be resolved. His mistakes will be a matter of interpretation, and there is a lenghthy lightsaber duel between him and someone else coming, if that helps [face_devil]

Kinda like a mini-Vader?

lol, I'm not saying anything [face_plain]

Thanks for reading ForceAddict! :D Glad you like it, I recommend reading Revolution first if it gets confusing :)

How would Yu'shaa know of Anakin Solo or at least his features? I wonder if Anor's identity will be exposed.

Nah, He knew Anakin Solo was coming.. but since you brought it up, remember SBS? Anakin recognized Nom Anor's "arrogant presence" in the Force? *hint hint*

Anakin made a great entrance. It was detailed such that I could imagine it happening, like watching a movie rather than reading a story. Excellent chapter. I also liked Nom's surprise at seeing the Jedi he thought was dead.

*beams with pride* Thank you, JOD

BTW, is everyone reading JOD's poetry? the links in her sig!

More soon, right Yoda?

yup yup. Next chapter is FUN! :D

24. JainaDurron

JainaDurron Jedi Master star 4

Aug 8, 2002
    I can't believe I missed the second chapter. Oh well, I've caught up. Great stuff YK. :)

~~Jilly

25. JainaDurron

JainaDurron Jedi Master star 4

Aug 8, 2002
    I can't believe I missed the second chapter. Oh well, I've caught up. Great stuff YK. :)

~~Jilly