main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends THE EIGHTH CORTEX (NJO: Anakin Solo, Jacen, Jaina, Tahiri, H/L, L/M, Kyp,others) Completed 5/12/04!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by YodaKenobi, Nov 26, 2003.

1. YodaKenobi

YodaKenobi Former TFN Books Staff star 6 VIP

May 27, 2003
    nah, it was no big deal :p not for me anyway.

2. TahiriSoloFan

TahiriSoloFan Jedi Padawan star 4

May 20, 2003
    Yeah, but he never really comes to that conclussion. He never says that abandoning the Force was wrong... he also never says saving his mother was right...
    I agree, but I guess I was putting it down to another one of those threads that got dropped. In a well constructed series, I think this would have been resolved properly....at least that's what I keep telling myself. I truly don't believe all the authors were lazy about it, I just think each one introduced new ideas or brought back old themes, and the next author wasn't informed due to the writing schedule, or else felt like those points interferred with the idea that they were trying to put forth in their book. At a certain point it became almost impossible for them to pick up all the dangling threads. Things were usually better when they allowed an author at least a duology to get their ideas across (not perfect....but at least better!) It's my opinion that that is why the old method (of an author writing a trilogy or whatever) worked better. They were able to establish characters (which were frequently picked up by the next author) and follow through on plot threads until you at least got somewhat of a feeling of completion. While the next book could then expand on that or go in a different direction without leaving you saying, "But what happened to so & so, doing whatever?" I spent much of the NJO doing just that and never feeling like I truly found the end of this particular story. With the old style, there was always room for more, but you also felt like you knew the end of that part of the story.....this is something that you've done very well, YodaKenobi, with your fics.

3. YodaKenobi

May 27, 2003
    I agree, but I guess I was putting it down to another one of those threads that got dropped. In a well constructed series, I think this would have been resolved properly....at least that's what I keep telling myself. I truly don't believe all the authors were lazy about it, I just think each one introduced new ideas or brought back old themes, and the next author wasn't informed due to the writing schedule, or else felt like those points interferred with the idea that they were trying to put forth in their book. At a certain point it became almost impossible for them to pick up all the dangling threads. Things were usually better when they allowed an author at least a duology to get their ideas across (not perfect....but at least better!) It's my opinion that that is why the old method (of an author writing a trilogy or whatever) worked better. They were able to establish characters (which were frequently picked up by the next author) and follow through on plot threads until you at least got somewhat of a feeling of completion. While the next book could then expand on that or go in a different direction without leaving you saying, "But what happened to so & so, doing whatever?" I spent much of the NJO doing just that and never feeling like I truly found the end of this particular story. With the old style, there was always room for more, but you also felt like you knew the end of that part of the story.....this is something that you've done very well, YodaKenobi, with your fics.

Thanks :) and I agree that a lot of the problems and inconsistencies come from there being too many authors, with too little time to coordiante their efforts :(

Anyway, I'm having some weird computer troulbe all the sudden.... there are gray lines going through my screen where ever theirs and image or text, darker depending on how dark the word of image is... like it's bleeding over or something :p anyone have any idea what this is??? :_|

I'm going to try and get the dramatis for The Living Force up tonight so everyone can see who's in the new one :)

4. FamousAmos

FamousAmos VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 9, 2003
    Haven't been in here for a while :p

I'm interested to see the info on the living force, YK. I'm sure it'll be a great ending to a great series.

I skimmed some of y'all's discussion on the NJO, and I have some comments:

I haven't read TFP or TUF yet, so bear with me if this isn't how it happened. I read all the TUF spoilers, and I was really disappointed with their explanations(go figure :p) I mean, one of the biggest questions posed by the series was why the Vong didn't exist in the Force, which was also tied to the Jedi finding a new understanding of the Force. And their explanation was that their original homeworld, which was Zonama Sekot's parent, didn't like their warlike ways and stripped them of the Force?!? [face_shocked] I don't know about anyone else, but that is lame [face_plain] I mean, SBS showed that DR really doesn't have any creativity and has terrible taste in storytelling, but is that the best they could do? I could probably come up with a much better explanation than that.

Also, the excerpts on the back of the later NJO covers kept talking about how Zonama Sekot was the key to the war against the Vong. Are we ever told why? The only thing that I can think of is those spiffy ships they gave them. But does that really turn the tide against the Vong? I certainly hope not. But if that's not it, then what was the purpose of having Zonama Sekot in the first place? To tie in to Rouge Planet? That's not a good reason to include it, IMHO.

Did ZS help the Jedi understand the nature of the Force? I liked where I thought the series was going after I read Conquest. Anakin makes some deep insights into the Vong and the nature of the Force in that book, which I felt were ignored in the later parts of the series. I mean, Anakin was the first to 'feel' the Vong, even if it was indirectly through his lambent. Read the part where he's in the cave fixing his lightsaber. I thought that was a true revelation, or at least the beginning of a revelation about the Force. And then the series went in a totally different direction, which sucked, IMO.

Okay, that was my rant for today. I promise, no more rants from me today :p

As far as the SFFA go, I like the idea of block nominations. :)

5. Tahi

Tahi Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    I liked where I thought the series was going after I read Conquest. Anakin makes some deep insights into the Vong and the nature of the Force in that book, which I felt were ignored in the later parts of the series. I mean, Anakin was the first to 'feel' the Vong, even if it was indirectly through his lambent. Read the part where he's in the cave fixing his lightsaber. I thought that was a true revelation, or at least the beginning of a revelation about the Force. And then the series went in a totally different direction, which sucked, IMO
    I agree totally, FamousAmos :)

Hope you get your computer probs sorted, Yoda.

6. YodaKenobi

May 27, 2003
    I agree with Amos as well :)

Here's the rough Dramatis for "The Living Force" Let me know if I left any SW character out :p

Ackbar; retired Admiral (Male Mon Calamari)
    Alema Rar; Jedi Kight (Female Twi'lek)
    Anakin Solo; Jedi Knight (Male Human)
    Booster Terrik; Captain, Errant Venture (Male Human)
    Cakhmain; Leia's bodygaurd (Male Noghri)
    Cal Omas; President (Male Human)
    Callista; Potentium Jedi Leader (Female Human)
    Cenn Stellwart; GFI Security Officer (Male Human)
    Cilghal; Jedi Master (Female Mon Calamari)
    C-3p0; Protocol Droid
    Danni Quee; Scientist (Female Human)
    Daphney; Alliance Commando (Female Twi'lek)
    Darak; Assistant to the Magister (Female Ferroan)
    Dest Ornax; Bounty Hunter (Male Human)
    Dif Scaur; Intelligence Director (Male Human)
    Droma; Leader, Ryn Network (Male Ryn)
    Fen Kwaad; Shaping Adept (Female Yuuzhan Vong)
    Ganz Beraflar; Peace Brigade (Male Human)
    Garent Bostish; Imperial Stormtrooper (Male Human)
    Garm Bel Iblis; General (Male Human)
    Gelaa; Priestess, deception sect (Female Yuuzhan Vong)
    Gilad Pellaeon; Grand Admiral (Male Human)
    Han Solo; Captain, Millennium Falcon (Male Human)
    Harrar; Priest, deception sect (Male Yuuzhan Vong)
    HK-22; Assassin Droid
    Jabitha; Magister Zonama Sekot (Female Ferroan)
    Jacen Solo; Jedi Knight (Male Human)
    Jagged Fel; Twin Suns squadron (Male Human)
    Jaina Solo; Jedi Knight (Female Human)
    Jakan; High Priest (Male Yuuzhan Vong )
    Jarl Pace; Colonel, Remnant Commando (Male Human)
    Jensin; Captian, Gray Truth (Male Human)
    Jysella Horn; Jedi Student (Female Human)
    Kam Solusar; Jedi Master (Male Human)
    Kenth Hamner; Jedi Master (Male Human)
    Kirana Ti; Jedi Knight (Female Dathomirian)
    Kit; Alliance Commando (Female Human)
    Kunra; Former warrior (Male Yuuzhan Vong)
    Kyle Katarn; Jedi Knight (Male Human)
    Kyp Durron; Jedi Master (Male Human)
    Lando Calrissian; Merchant (Male Human)
    Leia Organa Solo; Former NR diplomat (Female Human)
    Lind Eythatcher; Peace Brigade Leader (Male Human)
    Lomi Plo; Potentium Jedi (Female Human)
    Lowbacca; Jedi Knight (Male Wookie)
    Luke Skywalker; Jedi Master (Male Human)
    Malik Carr; Commander (Male Yuuzhan Vong)
    Mara Jade Skywalker; Jedi Master (Female Human)
    Meewalh; Leia's bodyguard (Female Noghri)
    Mirax Horn; Whatever the hell her job is suppose to be (Female Human)
    Nas Choka; Warmaster (Male Yuuzhan Vong)
    Neget; Smuggler (Male Rodian)
    Nen Yim; Master Shaper (Female Yuuzhan Vong)
    Nom Anor; High Perfect(Male Yuuzhan Vong)
    Onimi; Shimrra's Jester (Male Yuuzhan Vong)
    R2-B9; Astromech Droid
    R2-D2; Astromech Droid
    Releqy A'kla; Minister of State (Female Camassi)
    Remsy; Peace Brigade (Male Twi'lek)
    Rowel; Assistant to the Magister (Male Ferroan)
    Ruu; Shamed One (Male Yuuzhan Vong)
    Raynar Thul; Potentium Jedi (Male Human)
    Saba Sebatyne; Jedi Knight (Female Barabel)
    Shada D'ukal; Talon Karrde's buisness assossiate (Female Human)
    Sien Sovv; Supreme Commander (Male Sullestan)
    Shimrra; Supreme Overlord (Male Yuuzhan Vong)
    Streen; Jedi Master (Male Human)
    Strift Zonn; Smuggler (Female Human)
    Ta'lam Ranth; Senator (Female Gotal)
    Tahiri Veila; Jedi Knight (Female Human)
    Talon Karrde; Independant information broker (Male Human)
    Tekli; Jedi Knight (Female Chadra-Fen)
    Tenel Ka Djo; Queen Mother of the Hapes Consortium, Jedi Knight (Female Human)
    Tesar Sebatyne; Jedi Knight (Male Barabel)
    Tionne; Jedi Knight (Female Human)
    Tolok Saa; Commander (Male Yuuzhan Vong)
    Traest Kre'fey; Admiral (Male Bonthan)
    Tresina Lobi; Jedi Master (Female Chev)
    Triebakk; Senator (Male Wookiee)
    Uhla; Shamed One (Female Yuuzhan Vong)
    Valin Horn; Jedi Student (Male Human)
    Wedge Antilles; General (Male Human)
    Welk; Dark Jedi (Male Human)
    Wrev Caster; Jedi Knight (Male Human)
    Zekk; Jedi Knight (Male Human)
    Zu'ona Aruh; Shamed One (Female Yuuzhan Vong)
    Yal Phaath; Master Shaper (Male Yuuzhan Vong)

yeah, it's going to be a long fic :p

7. Lethar

Lethar Jedi Master star 1

Apr 29, 2004
    yeah, it's going to be a long fic

Heh. :) That's how we (or just me?) like it.

There's another thing you can tell from that list; there sure are a lot of NJO characters with 'T' names. (and 'J'...) ;)

8. Tahi

Tahi Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    Wow! Kirana Ti, Streen, the Horn kids, Lando :) ,
    Kyle! Yay! I love Kyle Katarn.

Looks pretty good to me. :)

9. Thrawn McEwok

Thrawn McEwok Co-Author: Essential Guide to Warfare star 6 VIP

May 9, 2000
    YK Yay! :D

Ackbar; retired Admiral (Male Mon Calamari)
    Alema Rar; Jedi Kight (Female Twi'lek)
    Anakin Solo; Jedi Knight (Male Human)
    Booster Terrik; Captain,
    Errant Venture (Male Human)
    Cakhmain; Leia's bodygaurd (Male Noghri)
    Cal Omas; President (Male Human)
    Callista; Potentium Jedi Leader (Female Human)

You have no idea how good that feels just to see Jimmy there in the list of characters! :D

Well, probably, actually - you know full well... [face_mischief] :cool: :)

Cenn Stellwart; GFI Security Officer (Male Human)

Great name!

Dest Ornax; Bounty Hunter (Male Human)

Yay!

Ganz Beraflar; Peace Brigade (Male Human)
    Garent Bostish; Imperial Stormtrooper (Male Human)

I like the sound of this! :D

Gilad Pellaeon; Grand Admiral (Male Human)

Yippee!

HK-22; Assassin Droid

Heh.

Jarl Pace; Colonel, Remnant Commando (Male Human)Jensin; Captian, Gray Truth (Male Human)

Oh? I like the sound of this, too... :)

Jysella Horn; Jedi Student (Female Human)

Uh-oh... I'm not sure who to be more worried for, the Jedi kids or Callista... :D ;)

Kit; Alliance Commando (Female Human)

You have quite a lot of commando-style female characters, y'know? :p

Lind Eythatcher; Peace Brigade Leader (Male Human)

Oh? :D

Lomi Plo; Potentium Jedi (Female Human)

Hmm... hold that thought! [face_mischief]

Mirax Horn; Whatever the hell her job is suppose to be (Female Human)

Art dealer?

Tolok Saa; Commander (Male Yuuzhan Vong)

Domain Saa, eh? [face_mischief] :D

Uhla; Shamed One (Female Yuuzhan Vong)

;) o_O

Valin Horn; Jedi Student (Male Human)

Poor Val and Jizz, though - you killed Corran!

Welk; Dark Jedi (Male Human)

Remember that thought I told you to hold...? ;)

Zekk; Jedi Knight (Male Human)

As if Jaina wasn't confused enough already! :p

Zu'ona Aruh; Shamed One (Female Yuuzhan Vong)

Don't Shamed Ones lose their domain names?

http://www.aruh.yv ?! [face_laugh]

[face_mischief]

- The Imperial Ewok

10. YodaKenobi

May 27, 2003
    Heh. That's how we (or just me?) like it.

Good :) I hope you're not the only one, Lethar.

There's another thing you can tell from that list; there sure are a lot of NJO characters with 'T' names. (and 'J'...)

Yeah, I noticed that too 8-}

Wow! Kirana Ti, Streen, the Horn kids, Lando ,
    Kyle! Yay! I love Kyle Katarn.

I'm not sure Streen has much of a role, but Kirana and Kyle are in it, mostly as side characters. Yes, Lando finally makes an appearance (I've wanted to use him going back to revolution, but I just couldn't get it to work. And yes, the Horn kids are in it, Valin is especially important to the story [face_devil]

Looks pretty good to me.

:D

Yay!

I like your enthusiasm, Thrawn :)

You have no idea how good that feels just to see Jimmy there in the list of characters!

I know, what you mean.... takes you back to the good old days, pre-SBS [face_wistful]

Uh-oh... I'm not sure who to be more worried for, the Jedi kids or Callista...

You're assuming that Callista has something to do with the Jedi kids ;)

You have quite a lot of commando-style female characters, y'know?

Just two out of the whole team, and they're barely in it.. and they all die anyway....

Art dealer?

still?

Domain Saa, eh? :D

oh yeah [face_mischief]

Poor Val and Jizz, though - you killed Corran!

I didn't, it had to be done.

Remember that thought I told you to hold...?

Oh, I copied the dramatis I had up at the beginning of this fic and just added and deleted as needed. I forgot to change Welk from "Dark Jedi" to "Potentium Jedi" like Lomi. There's nothing secret going on there, just a mistake :p

As if Jaina wasn't confused enough already!

There will be no J/Z in this fic.... that's a promise :p

Don't Shamed Ones lose their domain names?

It depends, like Vua Rapuung [face_thinking]

Thanks guys, I'll have some sort of summary up soon that will give you more of an idea of what the plot will consist of :D

11. FamousAmos

Feb 9, 2003
    The Dramitis looks good, Yoda! I'm really looking forward to the third part of this story. When is the first post :confused:

Also, is Kit named after the moderator [face_mischief]

12. YodaKenobi

May 27, 2003
    The Dramitis looks good, Yoda! I'm really looking forward to the third part of this story. When is the first post

Thanks, Amos :) I'm hoping to have TLF started in a week or two. Seems like there is quite a bit left, even though I've begun writing the last day of the last battle :p

Also, is Kit named after the moderator

lol, not consiously :p Maybe I should change it to "Kitt" to clear any confusion :p

EDIT: I completely forgot about "Kit Fisto" so that name will definitely be changed.

13. Thrawn McEwok

May 9, 2000
    Just a quick note - as well as 'shipping for some more obvious categories in the Awards, I've nominated Jacen in this 'fic for "Best Non-Jedi" and "Best Humorous Character"... this idea appeal to anyone else? ;) [face_mischief] :p

- The Imperial Ewok

14. YodaKenobi

May 27, 2003
    Just a quick note - as well as 'shipping for some more obvious categories in the Awards, I've nominated Jacen in this 'fic for "Best Non-Jedi" and "Best Humorous Character"... this idea appeal to anyone else?

.................... o_O

Well, it's your vote :p

15. _Jedi_of_Destiny_

_Jedi_of_Destiny_ Jedi Padawan star 4

May 17, 2003

I printed out the last chapter of 8th Cortex. It was great. I loved it. Whn I actually have internet in my house I'll give you a more detailed feedback. I just can't believe its over.

So, the new one's called Living Force? Sounds interesting. The list of characters was er, long. A good thing, really. :D
    I can't wait until you post a summary!

16. YodaKenobi

May 27, 2003
    I printed out the last chapter of 8th Cortex. It was great. I loved it. Whn I actually have internet in my house I'll give you a more detailed feedback. I just can't believe its over.

I'm glad you liked it, Lauren :D Look forward to the detailed review :p ;) :)

So, the new one's called Living Force? Sounds interesting. The list of characters was er, long. A good thing, really.

Yeah, instead of trying to write quality this time, which failed miserably, I'm just going for quantity to overwhelm the reader [face_shhh] [face_whistling]

I can't wait until you post a summary!

Yeah, I'm going to try and get that up today :D

17. YodaKenobi

May 27, 2003
    I wrote this in kind of a rush, so I hope I didn't forget anything important :) Get your SW intro music ready ;) here's the teaser for TLF:

The Living Force

Zonama Sekot has finally arrived at Mon Calamari, and agrees to lead the charge to Coruscant in the Galactic Alliance's battle to retake the core, much to Jacen Solo's chagrin. Things are bolstered when the Imperial Remnant sends it's own forces to Mon Calamari, led by Grand Admiral Pellaeon, to assist in the action. However, the Alliance is quickly broken when the Chiss learn of the theft of Alpha Red by Leia Organa Solo, and sever all ties with the Galactic Federation.

The Yuuzhan Vong are still reeling after their defeat at Mon Calamari, the Shamed One's uprising, and know that an attack on the galactic capital they made into their new homeworld is immeninant. Shimrra orders Warmaster Nas Choka to bring his forces in, and set one final trap for their enemies. It is left to High Perfect Nom Anor to once again dawn the guise of "Yu'shaa" and bring the Shamed One's back to the surface, where they will be punished for their blasphemy. Things begin to turn their way however, when the Supreme Overlord learns the location of the maw base where the Jedi Children are being kept, and sends a small force to capture them.

Meanwhile, Han Solo's search for his wife and the group of renegade Jedi who captured her yields no results, and when he and his family learn that Leia has actually been turned to the Potentium's cause to annihilate the Yuuzhan Vong, they're devestated. Han's search leads him to a space station outside of Bothawui, where he learns just how far Leia has fallen.

The Jedi and Alliance Military go to Zonama Sekot to prepare for the battle, and eighteen starfighters are shaped for Jedi pilots. However, things are not as they seem on the living world, and the face of the coming battle changes quickly.

The Solo Children are at the forefront, as Jacen struggles to learn the mysteries of the Yuuzhan Vong and Zonama Sekot, while Jaina finds herself facing what she knows will be the greatest battle of her life. Anakin Solo wrestles with the many questions surrounding his ability to sense the Yuuzhan Vong in the Force, his guilt, his fractured relationship with Tahiri Veila, and his destiny.

The Alliance's battle plan however, rests on the shoulders of a small team of commandos led by Mara Jade Skywalker, who plan to assassinate the Supreme Overlord using the battle as a distraction to draw his forces away. In his heart, Jedi Master Luke Skywalker knows the mission can only end in his wife's death, and begs her to decline. When the Yuuzhan Vong reveal their final trap, the battle is sent into a grim spiral, in which Luke takes the burden on, hoping to give his wife a fighting chance.

Everything changes when Zonama Sekot's dark secret is revealed.

The Jedi will learn the truth of the Yuuzhan Vong, as well as a greater truth within the Living Force. In the end, the fate of the galaxy will rest in the hands of a few Jedi, whom are greater than the sum of their parts, as the Alliance fights side by side with the Empire, Smuggler's, and Ryn to retake their galaxy from the Yuuzhan Vong.

sound good? :p

18. Whitey

Whitey Jedi Master star 6

Jan 26, 2003
    [face_tired] [face_tired] [face_tired]

Kidding. :p

Interesting... I just hope a lot of those characters are only cameos. :p

19. Thrawn McEwok

May 9, 2000
    Woo-hoo! :D

Rather this than the Prequels - or the profic ending for the NJO, for that matter... [face_mischief]

- The Imperial Ewok

20. FamousAmos

Feb 9, 2003
    So they actually use Alpha Red, huh? That should be interesting.

Also, I'm sure the ZS secret and the Origin's of the Vong will be much more creative here than in the actual NJO ;)

I finally picked up TFP, and am about 1/4 through with it. Its not so bad, thus far, but knowing where it and TUF go, I don't think I'll be holding my breath :p

Anyways, great summary, and I'm really looking forward to the new story :D

Oh, and congrats on your noms, BTW!! Looks like you're goin' to the voting round in many categories =D=

21. YodaKenobi

May 27, 2003
    Kidding.
    Interesting... I just hope a lot of those characters are only cameos.

No, they're all very detailed side-stories. The fight between Rowel and Streen is particularly interesting.

Rather this than the Prequels - or the profic ending for the NJO, for that matter...

So they actually use Alpha Red, huh? That should be interesting.

I was going to change it to attempted, but I decided to get rid of that line. I don't want to mislead you guys or give too much away ;)

Also, I'm sure the ZS secret and the Origin's of the Vong will be much more creative here than in the actual NJO

Seeing as how their was no explaination given for the YV in TUF, I hope you're right :p

I finally picked up TFP, and am about 1/4 through with it. Its not so bad, thus far, but knowing where it and TUF go, I don't think I'll be holding my breath

No, its not a bad book. But it's not near what the EOV books were :( flat without Anakin.

Anyways, great summary, and I'm really looking forward to the new story

Good to know :D

Oh, and congrats on your noms, BTW!! Looks like you're goin' to the voting round in many categories

Oh? Where's the list with the finalists?

22. TahiriSoloFan

TahiriSoloFan Jedi Padawan star 4

May 20, 2003
    his fractured relationship with Tahiri Veila,

Would you stop saying that?!?!?!? :mad: ;) Couldn't you use renewed or newly confusing ? 8-}

Looking for to The Living Force. The character list looks great and the preview is very tempting!

23. Tahiri-Solo

Tahiri-Solo Jedi Master star 4

Nov 21, 2001
    I CAN'T WAIT!!!!!!

*twiddles thumbs*

24. YodaKenobi

May 27, 2003
    Would you stop saying that?!?!?!? Couldn't you use renewed or newly confusing ?

If that would make you feel better :p

Looking for to The Living Force. The character list looks great and the preview is very tempting!

I'm glad :) I'm really not sure when I'll be finished... it seems like this is taking forever this time :p

I CAN'T WAIT!!!!!!
    *twiddles thumbs*

nah, I'm sure you have more important things to do soon ;)

25. Whitey

Whitey Jedi Master star 6

Jan 26, 2003
    Seeing as how their was no explaination given for the YV in TUF, I hope you're right

Did you and I read the same book? :confused:

It might not have been as thorough as everyone hoped, but there was an explanation.