main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends THE EIGHTH CORTEX (NJO: Anakin Solo, Jacen, Jaina, Tahiri, H/L, L/M, Kyp,others) Completed 5/12/04!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by YodaKenobi, Nov 26, 2003.

1. FamousAmos

FamousAmos VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 9, 2003
    YK: couldn't agree with you more. TFP is kinda ... boring w/o Anakin. And I really hate the way he writes the 'new' Tahiri. In fact, the new Tahiri just sucks [face_plain]

And the list of finalists(or the ones that are in the voting round) is on the 1st page of the noms thread. You've got several in the voting round, so congrats.

Also congrats to Tahi and all the other authors with nominations! You all deserve them :)

Whitey: Haven't actually read TUF, but the explanations I've heard over in lit barely qualify as explanations [face_plain]

I mean, come on, the YV don't exist in the Force b/c their parent planet stripped them of it- how lame is that? That's not creative at all. Its kinda like DR said "Oh, I guess we need an explanation for that. Lets say the home planet did it." And that was all the thought that went into it. Its seriously bad writing, IMHO.

2. YodaKenobi

YodaKenobi Former TFN Books Staff star 6 VIP

May 27, 2003
    Did you and I read the same book?
    It might not have been as thorough as everyone hoped, but there was an explanation.

I've read it twice, and the only thing I remember is that Luke and Jacen surmised that the YV had been "stripped" of the Force. There is never an explaination given for who could have done this or how, that I remember. :(

It also doesn't make any sense, since the YV have obiviously not been "stripped" of the Force. Anakin feels them in it before he died.

And the list of finalists(or the ones that are in the voting round) is on the 1st page of the noms thread. You've got several in the voting round, so congrats.

ahhh, Have to go check that out then.

Also congrats to Tahi and all the other authors with nominations! You all deserve them

Cool, I knew Tahi would make it ;)

Whitey: Haven't actually read TUF, but the explanations I've heard over in lit barely qualify as explanations
    I mean, come on, the YV don't exist in the Force b/c their parent planet stripped them of it- how lame is that? That's not creative at all. Its kinda like DR said "Oh, I guess we need an explanation for that. Lets say the home planet did it." And that was all the thought that went into it. Its seriously bad writing, IMHO.

That's not the explaination given, but I'll remember you said that :p Serioiusly though, am I missing something, cos I've read the book twice and I don't remember anything like that. If someone knows a page number or chapter I should go take another look at, please let me know.

3. FamousAmos

Feb 9, 2003
    Hey, I don't really know, either. I don't own TUF, and I've never read it, though I intend to when it comes out in paperback.

I just remember seeing someone say that over in Lit. But it was a while ago, so I could be mistaken.

Also, your point about Anakin feeling them in the Force does contradict the idea that the Vong were 'stripped' of the Force. Another way they really didn't think this thing through. Sad but true :( ...

4. YodaKenobi

May 27, 2003
    Yeah, it looks like this did get some nominations :p the Eighth Cortex is up for "Best AU", "Best Action", "Best Completed", "Best All-Around", and "Best Series". It also looks like I came just one nom short of best author and a little shorter in some others :p

Thanks to anyone who nominated me, I really don't know who all did. I know Tahi was going to and probably Thrawn :) so thanks to you guys, and everyone else [face_love]

Now I have to find excerpts and quotes for each of the categories. If anyone has any suggestions for what to use, I'd really appreciate it. The only ones I can think of right now is the Anakin/Mara/Nas Choka fight for best action, and Tahiri's vision for best AU of maybe one of the others [face_thinking]

5. TahiriSoloFan

TahiriSoloFan Jedi Padawan star 4

May 20, 2003
    If that would make you feel better

Hah! You say that as though you actually intend to do it! 8-}

Congrats on the nominations! [:D]

6. Whitey

Whitey Jedi Master star 6

Jan 26, 2003
    That's not the explaination given, but I'll remember you said that Serioiusly though, am I missing something, cos I've read the book twice and I don't remember anything like that. If someone knows a page number or chapter I should go take another look at, please let me know.

Actually, that is the explaination given. :p

The story goes that a technologically advanced race waged war against the Yuuzhan Vong. The Vong beat them back, but in doing so they grew violent and blood-thirsty. Well, their home planet didn't necessarily agree with this, and so it stripped them of the Force. It's actually not that hard to believe, since its seed, Zonama Sekot, has a mind of its own and it's likely their home planet did too.

7. YodaKenobi

May 27, 2003
    Hah! You say that as though you actually intend to do it!

[face_mischief]

Congrats on the nominations!

Actually, that is the explaination given.

The story goes that a technologically advanced race waged war against the Yuuzhan Vong. The Vong beat them back, but in doing so they grew violent and blood-thirsty. Well, their home planet didn't necessarily agree with this, and so it stripped them of the Force. It's actually not that hard to believe, since its seed, Zonama Sekot, has a mind of its own and it's likely their home planet did too.

No, I don't think its stupid at all, the opposite really. I remember the part about the technological race, but not the planet "stripping" them. Who is it that says this, because all I remember was theorizing and not getting a definitive answer? Not to be a pain, but it you know the page number or there abouts, that would be helpful :)

8. Alpha-synth

Alpha-synth Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 22, 2004
    I'll take a look through TUF, and see if I can find a page number.

9. Tahi

Tahi Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    I STILL haven't finished TUF. LOL But my experience of the NJO as a whole is that they promise to explain things and then either don't, or do so inadequately.

Thanks, FamousAmos. :) I see you are through, too, so congrats for that.

Congrats Yoda, and you're more than welcome. :)

10. Whitey

Whitey Jedi Master star 6

Jan 26, 2003
    I'll take a look through TUF, and see if I can find a page number.

Good boy. Now I don't have to do it. :p

11. YodaKenobi

May 27, 2003
    Whitey, you lazy little punk :p

Hey, can someone help me pick 5 quotes from this story that are 2 sentences long or less? I think I've got my excerpts, but I don't really like any of them :p

12. TahiriSoloFan

May 20, 2003
    I loved the battle scene where Anakin first comes rushing to rescue Jaina & Mara, and they discover he's really alive. I could practically see their chins hitting the ground. Hehehehe! That was a great combination of action, drama, & humour!

13. YodaKenobi

May 27, 2003
    yeah, I'm using the duel that followed that as best action excerpt :p thanks for the suggestion, TSF :)

BTW, good news if you're looking forward to the next fic! I have a feeling I'll be done writing it in about a week [face_praying] so expect the first post soon after :D

14. Tahi

Tahi Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    Woohoo! Good going, Yoda. Looking forward to the story. :)

Gah! Quotes! I wish they hadn't asked for those.

Yes I agree with TSF - that Mara, Jaina, Anakin scene is great. I think you MUST include one of the scenes where you discuss Vong biotech, because you do that better than anyone IMO. I also like your Kyp/Han scenes - maybe have one of those for the Best AU category. Don't know if that helps or not.

The only suggestion I can come up with for quotes is to skim back and find some of the ones we've noted in our reviews. You've had some great Han one-liners. :)

15. YodaKenobi

May 27, 2003
    meh, I made my submission yesterday. For excerpts I used Tahiri's vision for best au, and Mara/Anakin/Nas Choka fight for best action. Then I submitted an abridged version of the fight with the Marook, Luke finding about the slave pilots, and Kyp fighting Callista in the other 3 categories, I don't even remember which ones :p I don't think it will matter. Here are the quotes I used if anyone cares:

1."If anyone can handle themselves in a situation like this, it's Corran," Mara assured. "The man has cheated death so many times we should just call him Han."

2."Why don't you go home and shower, you smell like a bantha," Kyp said with the wave of his hand.
    "I think I'll go home and shower, I smell like a bantha."

3.If they were going to die, it was going to be heroic, like Ganner... Like Anakin.

4. 3-1s began an amplified chant of detailed Yuuzhan Vong insults that Tahiri had specified before hand. The challenge he launched at them, as well as remarks about their lineage and domain breeding habits, drew three more warriors away from the damutek entrance.

5."I know it sounds strange, but something you're going to do will have a far-reaching affect..." Luke stopped again.

anywhozal, I don't really have any story news, so I might as well post some teaser information everyday:

Valin Horn becomes someone's apprentice in TLF. Can you guess who? ;)

16. Alpha-synth

Alpha-synth Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 22, 2004
    I suspect Anakin, but I've learnt not to second-guess any author.

Oh, and no luck as yet finding the references in TUF for that Vong vs Machine people thing.

17. JediMaster0001

JediMaster0001 Jedi Youngling

Feb 1, 2004

Sorry it took so long for me to reply to the end of your story! (I'm kinda lazy)

Anyway, what an awesome ending to an incredible story!
    Looking forward to TLF!

18. YodaKenobi

May 27, 2003
    I suspect Anakin, but I've learnt not to second-guess any author.

Oh, and no luck as yet finding the references in TUF for that Vong vs Machine people thing.

That's becuase it's not in there :p I'll try and look myself soon.

Sorry it took so long for me to reply to the end of your story! (I'm kinda lazy)

:p no big deal. I'm lazy too!

Anyway, what an awesome ending to an incredible story!
    Looking forward to TLF!

Thanks, I'm really glad you liked the ending, and the wait for TLF shouldn't be too much longer :D

19. FamousAmos

Feb 9, 2003
    Thanks, I'm really glad you liked the ending, and the wait for TLF shouldn't be too much longer

Glad to hear that... but when exactly will the wait end? :D

20. TahiriSoloFan

May 20, 2003
    I love your sentence choices! [face_laugh] Especially Mara's line about Corran.

21. YodaKenobi

May 27, 2003
    Glad to hear that... but when exactly will the wait end?

About a week I hope.

I love your sentence choices! Especially Mara's line about Corran.

thanks, TahiriSoloFan :)

Okay todays teasers:

Last night I wrote the death scene of an important canon Jedi :( AND in TLF you'll learn Vergere's motives :D

22. YodaKenobi

May 27, 2003
    Today's teaser:

The world brain on Coruscant changes the climate of the planet significantly at the beginning of the TLF.

23. TahiriVeilaSolo69

TahiriVeilaSolo69 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 27, 2002
    Mr. Yoda Sir......You must stop with the teasers. My brain has been twisted in so many directions that it doesn't know which way is up. Also *bats eyelashes* do you think you could put some A/T mush in TLF? [face_beg] :D ;)

24. YodaKenobi

May 27, 2003
    Mr. Yoda Sir......You must stop with the teasers. My brain has been twisted in so many directions that it doesn't know which way is up. Also *bats eyelashes* do you think you could put some A/T mush in TLF? [face_beg]

thanks, TahiriVeilaSolo69 :p But I don't write mush, sorry. There are a LOT of scenes between Anakin and Tahiri in the story though. If there's kissing or anything, you'll have to wait and see ;)

Todays Teasers: A Jedi will appear in spirit form at some point, and Zonama Sekot is especially interested in Tahiri.

Kind of lame teasers actually..... :p

25. YodaKenobi

May 27, 2003
    hey, I just finished the 43rd chapter of TLF today, and I'm thinking there will be 49 or so, so I'm getting close. If I can make it to 47 where the bulk of the conflicts are resolved, I'll post the first chapter next week :)

Today's Teaser: Jacen is faced with a difficult decision when his siblings are in danger. Should he go after them, or stand firm on zonama sekot where he knows his destiny lies?