main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion. PC, PS3, Xbox2.

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Rabid_Balding_Ewok, Sep 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rabid_Balding_Ewok

Rabid_Balding_Ewok Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 8, 2000
    [image=http://www.elderscrolls.com/images/oblivcvr/oblivcvr01B.jpg]

>>>Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion is currently in development for PC and future generation consoles. In development since 2002, Oblivion is another leap forward in role-playing with its combination of freeform gameplay and cutting-edge graphics. The world-exclusive details on Oblivion are featured in the October issue of Game Informer. Check out their mammoth 12-page cover story to get all the details and screenshots. (And yes, that's in-game art on the cover.)<<<

From Elderscrolls.com.
    The mag gets exclusive news. Should be on the net soon.

The past week the front page has been giving clues. I've written them down since we wont get any info for a few days.

When the dragon dies. The empire dies.
    Where is the lost dragons blood. The empires sire?
    And from the womb of the void. Who shall stem the bloodtide?
    So long as the blood of the Dragon Prince runs strong in her rulers, the glory of the empire shall extend in unbroken years.
    His hearts blood bleeds darkness.
    For once the portals are opened. Who shall shut them amongst the rising tide.
    For Lord Dagon forever born in blood and fire from the waters of oblivion.
    Find him and close shut the marble jaws of oblivion.

-----signature-----
    "Rabid Balding Ewok, you make me sick.
    If there was an enemies list, you'd be on mine."
    [face_devil] [face_laugh] [face_devil] [face_laugh] [face_devil] [face_laugh]

:::*::(^^) :(^^) :::::::
    ::::::/::::^^:::::\ ::*::
    :::::/###-^^-##I :::::
    : *:.l##/(*)# (*)\\:::::
    :::/##(###.00#)#I ::::
    ::(___/#*#(XXX)/__) ::
    ::/000{{{{www}}}}\:: Ewoks Will Eat You!

2. Darth_Simpson

Darth_Simpson Jedi Master star 4

May 7, 2000
    Looks like there will be horses in this game! That was one of my main gripes with Morrowind, always traveling by foot.

Good news, I'll probably pick up the magazine when it hits the streets.

3. dark_charlie

dark_charlie Jedi Youngling star 4

Apr 18, 2004
    damn, i just got my xbox and morrowind, maybe i should have waited...

4. Rabid_Balding_Ewok

Aug 8, 2000
    Why? Wont be out till 2005/06 probably. You will have plenty of time to give both a spin till then.

-----signature-----

5. dark_charlie

Apr 18, 2004
    2005 is just round the corner.

OH MY COD, 2006 is right after 2005!!!

I FOUND THIS ON www.game-revolution.com

The Elder Scrolls IV Oblivion Confirmed

The more vigilant and observant Elder Scrolls fans noticed a countdown on the official Elder Scrolls webpage the past few days. The countdown recently reached zero and the long rumored title has been confirmed: The Elder Scrolls IV Oblivion has been officially announced.

While details are rather sparse at this time, it was revealed that The Elder Scrolls IV Oblivion has been in development since 2002, and probably started right after Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind was released on PC. The game should also keep with the series' tradition of having a state-of-the-art 3D graphics engine and a huge world that the player can explore at his discretion. If the picture on the Elder Scrolls website is to be believed, the game is in development for PC, PlayStation 3, and Xbox Next. More details about The Elder Scrolls IV Oblivion will apparently be disclosed in a 12-page cover story in Game Informer magazine later this month.

6. JEDI-SOLO

JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost star 6

Feb 12, 2002
    Hell yes!!!!!!!!!!

Can't wait for this one! I hope it is bigger than ESIII.

7. Rabid_Balding_Ewok

Aug 8, 2000
    Someone over at Gamefaqs has the mag and posted some info. gamefaqs.

>>>-- There is an in-game pic that shows a knight on his steed staring in the distance with one of the most breath-taking sights I have ever seen, to detail it would be that it has the most incredibly expanse draw distance I have ever seen in a game (better than FarCry) and there are massive scale mountains that it says you can ride your horse to the very top (wonder if the horse riding is going to be 1st person or 3rd like halo, or both? either way

-- There are no specific consoles that it will be on as of right now (meaning it might change) Bethesda might have gotten the Xenon Dev kits but GI doesn?t know for sure because they were not allowed in that certain area (meaning basically they do have it) and Bethesda commented on the fact that they don?t have a dev kit for PS3 or Nintendo Revolution so they will judge the other systems based on how they play and there specs to see how they are

-- QUOTE: ?If and when Oblivion comes to PS3, there is no telling how it will look? (good or bad thing)

-- Current release date is Winter 2005

- You will be able to train with your weapons on combat dummies that physically take damage with any of the weapons in the game

-- A small bit of the weapon selection as of now is Swords, Axes, Maces, Daggers, and Bows (which implies there is more than that)

-- According to Todd Howard they are trying to make the game as appealing to mainstream gamers as possible without alienating the hardcore players that prefer more complex RPG's (maybe good or bad)

-- They say the game is very very large, but (sadly) it will be smaller than Morrowind for two reasons \/

(Stated by Todd Howard)

A. "Budgets and schedules for games will not change much while the enhanced graphics will require more development time

B. "It?s a fact that, statistically, gamers prefer shorter games, and often do not finish more involved titles

-- They go on to say that this will still be the most Expansive game on the next-gen market

-- Will be unlike the conventional RPG in which the combat outcome does not depend on the luck of ?dice rolls?

-- The damage that you dole out will be determined by your strength, your opponent?s armor, and the attack you unleash

-- Your opponents will block and dodge, so taking down an enemy is entirely on the player?s shoulders

-- To make this more mainstream appealing(?) they have made most of the tedious aspects of Morrowind fun (Lock picking, mixing potions, and forging armor for example are going to be done through a mini game of sorts and)

-- Still made for the 1st person player there are options for both 3rd person and 1st person (like Morrowind), while also saying that the "combat is visceral and bloody?, and that it is designed to recall intense swordplay seen in movies like LoTR and Brave heart. Not to mention the fact that they said, ?The combat will be every bit exiting as a FPS"

-- More than 1000 NPC?s that are all unique and full dialogue for each due to the interaction and CS's amazing capabilities

-- There are expansive forest regions that are the most breath taking of them all, if only you could see the screen, but they are packed with almost photorealistic trees and at least a thousand slivers of grass

-- CS program is slated to be included with the PC version and maybe even the Consoles if they have that sort of capability

-- All NPC's have a basic day to day schedule so they go to sleep, shop, and even if a poor guy that can?t afford food wants food enough, he will steal from some one, maybe even you

-- You can still kill anyone in sight, and Guards still come but since you are in the capital province of Tamriel (or whatever) there?s a strong difference in the way the guards react

-- The guards will pursue NPC's that have committed a crime an give them a royal ass kicking

-- Game focuses on growth of your character (you still make your own of course) and

8. The_Fireman

The_Fireman Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 8, 2001
    Holy freaking cow. This sounds like it will be what Fable was SUPPOSED to be.

I loved Morrowind, so I know without a doubt I'm gonna love this. I just hate that the world isn't as big. But as long as they milk the heck out of the space they DO create to play in, it should be alright (just like with Fable).

9. Lucius

Lucius Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 2, 2004
    That sounds bad...minigames to pick locks? That sounds really, really awful.

10. Leto II

Leto II Jedi Padawan star 6

Jan 23, 2000
    Cyrodiil City, eh?

Any word on when this game's set? In other words, how long after Morrowind, and Caius's departure?

The fall-of-the-Empire scenario alluded to in the last one?

11. Patrick Russell

Patrick Russell Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 9, 1998
    "It?s a fact that, statistically, gamers prefer shorter games, and often do not finish more involved titles"

It's also a fact that if a long, rambling game is successful enough to make a sequel for, then the market is there to support a long, rambling game.

If they want to shoot for the lowest common denominator, they should come up with a new franchise rather than dumbing down a perfectly good existing franchise.

I'm definitely taking a wait-and-see attitude on this one. I just hope they don't screw the pooch too badly.

12. dark_charlie

Apr 18, 2004
    dont worry.

there are good examples of games that were simplified to appeal to the massses, that worked out perfectly.

silver, phantasy star online, champions of norrath.

i think the game will be much better then morrowind from what i read in you post.

better combat system, better graphics, more simple = PURE FUN.

13. Patrick Russell

Patrick Russell Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 9, 1998
    They worked out perfectly for the masses, while those who "got it" about the original games were left with something far less than it could have been sequel-wise.

Trying to satisfy the masses with anything... be it a game, a movie, an album... is the best way to guarantee a mediocre product. Especially when you're dumbing down a classic.

This will be a short little arcade-style copy of Morrowind, and I'm sure Joe Average will love it.

14. Darth_Tynaus

Darth_Tynaus Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 22, 2003
    Nice, I may have to get the magazine soon myself.

15. Rabid_Balding_Ewok

Aug 8, 2000
    Check this out for a first look at ES:IV's graphic engine.

Don't know how long the screens will be hosted here. So hurry up and check it out.

-----signature-----

16. dark_charlie

Apr 18, 2004
    the word photorealism comes to mind, these screens are awsome.

17. Darth_Simpson

Darth_Simpson Jedi Master star 4

May 7, 2000
    Holy crap, would you look at that forest! Amazing.

18. Connemara

Connemara Jedi Knight star 6

Nov 18, 2000
    It looks beautiful. And they've achieve at least part of what was on my list of things that would make Morrowind perfect. Though here are some ideas I had while playing, that I don't know if they're going to put into effect or not, but if so...dang. Amazing.

Have changing seasons

A certain amount of food and sleep required for your player character

get rid of the comments from passersby. It gets really annoying when you have everyone you pass by saying "leave me alone!" and whatever, cause I'm like "dude, I'm not talking to you!"

Change the dialogue to an easier format. Sounds like they did this by including free flowing conversation as opposed to giving you all those options, most of which you couldnt care less about.

And of course, include more plot twists. I thought the Morrowind master plot and even the minor plots a bit too predictable. But then, I was spoiled by KotOR. :p

19. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    CYRODIIL CITY!? [face_shocked]

Woohoo. So we get to see the capital of the Tamrielic Empire, eh? Lovely. I loved the provincial feel of Morrowind, but I think that Oblivion will be much more exciting.

20. Uncle_Owen_Kenobi

Uncle_Owen_Kenobi Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 7, 2001
    [image=http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/2004/screen0/924363_20041023_screen007.jpg] [image=http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/2004/screen0/924363_20041023_screen004.jpg] [image=http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/2004/screen0/924363_20041023_screen001.jpg]

Wow, what a jump from Morrowind.

From Gamespot.

As in Morrowind, the player will be able to go through the game's main storyline at his own pace, either blazing straight through or leisurely exploring the world. The player will be able to join any one of a number of factions and guilds, each of which will contain its own story arc.

A new artificial intelligence system, called Radiant AI, will see non-player characters make choices based on the world around them. NPCs will do different things during the day--eat, sleep, go to church, steal things--depending on their personality and environment. Everyone in the game's world will sport full facial animations, lip synching, and full speech for all dialogue.

Storywise, the game takes place in the country of Tamriel and its capital province Cyrodiil. The emperor has been assassinated, and the player is charged with finding the heir to his throne. Of course, with no emperor to guard the populace, the gates to Oblivion (Tamriel's version of hell) open up and demons begin to invade the city.

21. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    Killer screens. They make Morrowind look extremely dated. I still like that game a lot, though, it seems like it's the only title capable of holding my attention these days.

22. Leto II

Leto II Jedi Padawan star 6

Jan 23, 2000
    Do believe I *hat myself just now.

Horses, no less. Holy ghod. Sounds like this game is set during, or immediately following, Morrowind, considering the storyline (Emperor assasinated, unrest in Cyrodiil, etc). Think Caius Cosades'll make an appearance?

23. Charlie_Martel

Charlie_Martel Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 8, 2001
    Gamespy has more screenshots:

[image=http://pcmedia.gamespy.com/pc/image/article/558/558955/the-elder-scrolls-iv-oblivion-20041021063817080.jpg] [image=http://pcmedia.gamespy.com/pc/image/article/558/558955/the-elder-scrolls-iv-oblivion-20041021063820658.jpg] [image=http://pcmedia.gamespy.com/pc/image/article/558/558955/the-elder-scrolls-iv-oblivion-20041021063825657.jpg] [image=http://pcmedia.gamespy.com/pc/image/article/558/558955/the-elder-scrolls-iv-oblivion-20041021063829484.jpg] [image=http://pcmedia.gamespy.com/pc/image/article/558/558955/the-elder-scrolls-iv-oblivion-20041021063827391.jpg]

And a preview.

I can't wait. I hope I'll have a PCI-Express PC by the time this game's released. :)

24. DarthBobbalot

DarthBobbalot Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 5, 2002
    A major thing i would like to see in this game is the ability to forge your own weapons. In Morrowind, you went through the whole game looking for the best items, and just came across these bandits and stuff that had silver longswords: pieces of crap. So i would like to see something where you could go find a mine and get some awesome ore and forge your own sword and stuff... i think that would be aweomse.

25. Pooja

Pooja Jedi Knight star 6

May 25, 2002
    This looks nice. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.