main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion. PC, PS3, Xbox2.

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Rabid_Balding_Ewok, Sep 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FlareStorm

FlareStorm Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 13, 2000
    It's lame. Too easy, takes too long, doesn't really matter. Luckily in Oblivion you can avoid it with spells/good stats/experience/just ignore it

Oblivion's main quest is rather simple and uninspired

I finished it, and went over a walk thru on the wiki and followed links around. The base mythology is pretty cool, it just gets lost because you have 109283012938 other quests

As for FO/Oblivion comparisons, I'm going to start FO soon because it's like Oblivion and I <3 Oblivion. Wondering if there's any comparison to Oblivion's custom spell/enchanting? That's one of the most satisfying aspects.

2. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    The only 'custom' thing is weaponmaking, but all that is is finding schematics and components and making the weapons at a workbench. No customisation at all.

Which makes sense, there's no magic and you're no superscientist/inventor/weaponsmith. You're just a guy/girl.

However, slow motion VATS explosions are awesome.

3. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    Watching enemies explode in VATS never gets old.

4. zacparis

zacparis VIP star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 1, 2003
    Sneak into a dungeon room full of bandits, cast a Command Humanoid spell on one of them, then sit back and watch the madness. :D

Now that never gets old.

5. MarcusP2

Jul 10, 2004
    ^^ AKA the Mesmetron?

6. zacparis

Sep 1, 2003
    I don't know what that is. :p

7. MarcusP2

Jul 10, 2004
    It's a brain-control gun from Fallout 3 that frenzies the target and makes them attack their allies.

8. zacparis

Sep 1, 2003
    Then yes, just like that. :p

9. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    The speech minigame is moronic. When's the last time you tried to butter up someone by slightly insulting them before giving them a huge compliment? Seriously, the Champion of Cyrodiil is the most passive-aggressive person ever.

I liked the concept better in the demo--you still have the conversation pie, but the further your mouse went from the center, the more extreme your comment was. You still ahd the facial expression clues as well, but you weren't arbitrarily forced to do it in sequence.

10. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    All the minigames in Oblivion and Fallout are stupid except maybe Fallout's lockpicking game.

I mean, the Fallout world has the worst computer security ever.

11. zacparis

Sep 1, 2003
    I think Mass Effect holds the record for worst security ever. All you have to do is play a little game of Simon Says. :p

12. MarcusP2

Jul 10, 2004
    I like to think it's more like I am Stanley from Swordfish. :p

13. FlareStorm

Nov 13, 2000
    Just finished Shivering Isles. It was...weird but very entertaining.

I think I'm done

Done with main quest, Shivering Isles, KoTN, all Guild Quests, all official downloads, all Daedric shrine quests, and what most be most miscellaneous quests
    Own all houses fully upgraded, all horses
    Maxed all skills but 3, can't bring myself to do those because there's no point anymore
    Deleted all the in-game spells and made my own uber spells
    Enchanted my own equipment which is better than anything I find

I'm sure I missed a miscellaneous something here or there, but I'm pretty satisfied that I pwned the game.

Final Level: 36
    Quests Completed: 231
    Hours played: 165, wow...but that includes hours of leaving it macroing.

14. timmoishere

Jun 2, 2007
    One thing I like to do when I've finished all the quests is murder every NPC in the game.

15. zacparis

Sep 1, 2003
    I don't think I've ever been higher than level 40. I'd love to create a character specifically designed to get over level 50, just to see what sort of crazy things the game throws at you.

16. timmoishere

Jun 2, 2007
    You don't need to work hard to get above level 50. When you level up, choose the smallest attributes available instead of the largest. Then, when all of your major skills have reached 100, just go to jail for a long time to get those skills lowered. Then you can level up some more. Only when all of your attributes have reached 100 will you have gotten to the level cap.

17. FlareStorm

Nov 13, 2000
    I specifically set my major skills to the hard ones, and didn't use them to stop the level creep

18. The Great No One

The Great No One Jedi Grand Master star 8

Jun 4, 2005
    i broke level fifty pretty easily. was working on 65 when my save corrupted. and i was still getting my tail handed to me in some situations.

:snoopy

19. timmoishere

Jun 2, 2007
    I've heard the true level cap is somewhere over 200. But it involves a very complicated process which I'm not entirely sure how to do.

20. FlareStorm

Nov 13, 2000
    There is a maximum character level which is directly determined by the initial values of your major skills. Once your major skills all reach 100, you reach your final level; no more increases are possible (with the exception of some rare exploits, such as the skill bonuses conferred by the Oghma Infinium).

You can figure it for your character here: http://www.linklost.com/occ/

21. timmoishere

Jun 2, 2007
    Going to jail isn't an exploit. It is a normal part of the game, so committing lots of crimes in order to reduce your major skills is a viable option.

22. zacparis

Sep 1, 2003
    Oblivion is three years old today! (March 20 here)

I've put up a little tribute on my blog. :D

23. Leto II

Leto II Jedi Padawan star 6

Jan 23, 2000
    Oblivion was THE main "killer-app" reason why I bought a launch 360 (even though the game ended up delayed several more months), and I still find totally new, undiscovered stuff in it to this day. And as you point out, this is the game that seriously raised the bar for DLC; without The Shivering Isles and Knights of the Nine, we wouldn't have The Lost and Damned and The Pitt, for example.

Can't believe it's been three years already. Man. Looking back over this thread from Page 1, I'm shocked and amazed at all the adventures we've had in Cyrodiil, and I'm raising a glass in toast to the game and my dead homies.

24. JEDI-SOLO

JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost star 6

Feb 12, 2002
    Wow happy birthday ESIV. I wish I could have been with this thread from the beginning like I was when Morrowind released. But I wasn't able to get a 360 until July 08. :(

25. jedimaster_disney

jedimaster_disney Jedi Youngling

Mar 21, 2009
    has anyone got to level 20 yet? this game is so awesome.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.