main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion. PC, PS3, Xbox2.

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Rabid_Balding_Ewok, Sep 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Great No One

The Great No One Jedi Grand Master star 8

Jun 4, 2005
    i started on it, then that computer died. made my life a bit difficult. i was level 59 and had done all the other guilds. had actually done a fair number of gates as well at that point. stolen the mysterium xarxes... oh well.

2. Black-Tiger

Black-Tiger Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 25, 2008
    Yeah, no doubt about it, but those portals still give me the creeps and I find I have to psych myself up before I tackle one. Kinda shows what quality programming it has.

3. zacparis

zacparis VIP star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 1, 2003
    What always helped me was learning a few summoning spells. Once you get to conjuration level 75 (pretty easy by just spamming the hell out of the default skeleton spell), you can learn the Skeleton Hero (50 seconds).

He's pretty tough and lasts a good length, which means he's diverting attention away from you while you run through the tower to get to the sigil stone.

The invisibilty spell also works, you just have to be quick in casting it when coming through a door.

4. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    The skeletons are lame and even the most magicka-starved character can afford to cast all the others. Though to be fair, a Storm Atronach has problems going through doorways :p

And you come out invisible on the other side if you start casting the invisibility spell and activate the door right before the spell is actually applied to you.
    However, invisibiliy makes the thing much easier than all Oblivion-savviness already does.

5. zacparis

Sep 1, 2003
    Skeletons aren't lame. [face_talk_hand] They're extremely useful at early levels, and even at higher levels I still find the Hero and Champion pretty useful.

Once I was messing around in one of my houses by casting and attacking a skeleton champion (that sometimes spawns without a weapon) and instead of punching me he picked up one of my unique magic weapons that was lying about... it was all fun and games until his timer ran out and the magic weapon disappeared with him. [face_plain]

6. Leto II

Leto II Jedi Padawan star 6

Jan 23, 2000
    Very early on during my first character, I was simply blowing everything away with my custom "Touch Weakness to Shock" spell, followed by another custom Shock touch-spell, but then my Conjuration went up enough to allow for more powerful summons.

At Apprentice level, I'd go with the Scamp; the Skeleton has the least amount of health, while the Scamp has the most. At Journeyman, I go with the Headless Zombie or the Dremora for dealing out pure damage. At Expert level, all the monsters are quite good, but I stick with the Daedroth, and at Master, go with the Lich and Gloom Wraith. For melee enemies, if they don't use Daedric, silver, or enchanted weapons, it's best to use a Gloom or Faded Wraith, because they can't be hit by those.

Dremora Lords are amazing. Not only do they attack quickly and vigorously, they can take a hell of a beating. Also, you can create a custom summon that has them active for 2 minutes. It's my favorite summon for most situations. I only summon Storm Atronachs to take down other Daedra, though the Frostcrag Spire wizard's altar is great for creating these.

Also, it all depends on your Conjuration level. Assuming it's around 75, I would go with the Dremora. They're versatile and fairly tough, and if it's not 75, use either a skeleton (not a regular one -- just the highest-ranked one you can cast), or make a simple, one-second "Bound Helm" spell, and use that until you hit 75.

But in the end, you simply can't beat the Adoring Fan, massively decked out in armor...hit him with Rage/Frenzy Spells to keep him from running away from danger, and he's like a mother****ing GOD. Until he gets killed by a bear.

7. zacparis

Sep 1, 2003
    Or just rescue Martin from Kvatch and just keep him with you while ignoring the main quest line. :p

My main conjuring character was a Necromancer, so I tried to keep in character and only used undead summons. The lich was definitely my favourite. He can be slow at times, but when he shoots his fire spell you sure know about it. [face_beatup]

8. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    Followers are annoying. Sneaking is out the window. The only exception is one of the Dark Bortherhood murderers and they die too quickly.

Though I do enjoy bringing one of those, a Mage Apprentice, a Knight of the Nine, a Battlehorn Guard and an Atronach Familiar (in addition to Shadowmere and my summon) to the Great Gate at Bruma and/or the overrun Imperial City. It doesn't really help what with them hitting each other more than the enemy, but it's neat to watch. :p

9. zacparis

Sep 1, 2003
    Yeah it's fun trying to get your own little army together and see what sort of chaos you can cause.

When it first came out, a friend at work spent hours trying to create an army of tiny skeletons to follow him around (inspired by Army of Darkness). The problem was that because they were so small, they couldn't keep up with his walking speed.

I think he spent more time trying to mod the game than actually playing it.

10. Black-Tiger

Black-Tiger Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 25, 2008
    How do you get a band together? Never had the chance myself.

11. zacparis

Sep 1, 2003
    Throughout the game you can have all sorts followers from quests and factions, and it's just a matter of knowing how to get them and doing it all at once so you have more than one.

It's basically doing what the game didn't intend, and it can have humorous effects. :p

12. JEDI-SOLO

JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost star 6

Feb 12, 2002
    I still have never been able to beat the Kvatch part of the main story. I get my ass handed to me.

Anyway who all is going to be geting Greg Keyes novel later this month?

13. zacparis

Sep 1, 2003
    Kvatch is a breeze if you do it at level 1 or 2, but it does get tougher if you leave it too late.

14. Leto II

Leto II Jedi Padawan star 6

Jan 23, 2000
    You will get raped hard if you try Kvatch at any level above 10. At 15, you're bending over, clutching your ankles, and sobbing. All of your NPC companions are non-levelling, but the Daedra are.

And yes -- will be picking up the Keyes novel on release day (hopefully).

15. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    Between levels 10 and 17, Kvatch is tough. At earlier or later levels, however, it's a breeze.

16. zacparis

Sep 1, 2003
    OK so it was about four years between Morrowind and Oblivion. Now it's been almost four years since Oblivion, and still not even an annoucement of the next one?

All we've got is that rumour of an MMO, but that could still be years away.

Oblivion was successful both critically and commercially, so why have they just dropped it like this? You could point at Fallout 3 I suppose, but I want Elder Scrolls. :(

17. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    I want an Elder Scrolls V as well, and I still think that it will take place in Akavir! :p

18. Fire_Ice_Death

Fire_Ice_Death Force Ghost star 7

Feb 15, 2001
    Last rumor I heard was Skyrim.

19. The Great No One

Jun 4, 2005
    they trade marked skyrim for a title, so i'd imagine that's the next place.

20. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    Where are these elder scrolls rumors? I've been sitting in the dark regarding this series for quite a while.

21. JEDI-SOLO

Feb 12, 2002
    LV there was a thread in here titled Elder Scrolls V:Skyrim and I can't find it. It was a long time ago though from what I remember.

22. The Great No One

Jun 4, 2005
    yea, this was years ago. they did it like right after oblivion came out. check back about 08 and you MIGHT find the thread. not sure.

EDIT

here's the thread.

http://boards.theforce.net/games_videogames/b10005/28956737/p1/

23. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    So I'm a total noob to this franchise as I've just been playing Oblivion now on PS3. I'm not sure how much play time I have logged... maybe close to 24 hours? Haven't looked.

I'm curious about how people played Oblivion. I keep putting off most of the main quest things in favor of guild and other quests. Just got into the Arcane University. But what I also want to know is, should I beat the main quest first and then play Shivering Isles and Knights of the Nine? Does it matter what order I play through those quests in?

Anyway, I think it's too bad that, without a PS2, it doesn't seem I have a way to play games like Morrowind :(

-sj loves kevin spacey

24. JEDI-SOLO

Feb 12, 2002
    Morrowind was only on XBOX if I am not mistaken.

Also I havent beaten OB(got worn out on it sadly) but with Morrowind I know it didnt really matter what order you did things in. I beat the main quest line in that and the game still doesnt end you just continue to do what you want to do. I assume that OB is just the same?

If you have an old XBOX I would diff. get the game of the yr ed. Morrowind. It is fantasic and it would prob play on the 360 as well if you have one. I havent tried it in mine.

25. zacparis

Sep 1, 2003
    You can do just about everything without even touching the main quest. That's how I played most of my games. And you can do KotN and Shivering Isles in any order, they're completely independent from each other.

How old is your PC? You can pick up Morrowind for next to nothing these days, and it runs pretty well on old machines.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.