main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

VIDEO The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - 11.11.11

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by zacparis, Dec 11, 2010.

1. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    That'd be a good reason to get it then. One thing I like about it is that it's all on the second disc. Sometmes you'll see GotY editions that just have download codes, which is rubbish if you happen to see it used. I much prefer it when they put the DLC on a second disc or something like that.

2. Jedi_Matt

Jedi_Matt Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 11, 2002
    Yeah, I agree...

That is how I was able to play some of the Fallout 3 DLC courtesy of my brother's copy...

3. Alixen

Alixen Jedi Master star 4

Aug 7, 2003
    Yeah... this is probably going to seem like an odd post, because it is. Its also more Elder Scrolls, than Skyrim.

I'm playing through Morrowind, roleplaying as a force-user thanks to a lightsaber mod and a few of the magic schools being able to replicate force powers (force jump, push, telekinesis, ect). However, so as to not break TES canon completely, i'm going to start it off with our good friend Darth Vader turning up on Tamriel, with the idea that Nirn is just a planet in the Unknown Regions (albiet one where the force is so concentrated that force sorcerers are everywhere). Hunting a Jedi (hiding because said force concentration makes him impossible to pinpoint with the force), he will encounter the player character, and start them off on the ways of the force with a holocron, and use them as his agent.

My issue is that I need ideas for the introduction of tall, dark and asthmatic. Originally I was going to have the PC just run into him outside Seyda Neen. Another one is that the PC has been captured by the bandits in a cave just outside the starter-village, to be sold as a slave, and Vader slaughters them all and frees the player. Another is he slays most of said starter-village, but stays his hand witht he PC, and forces them into being his servant. I'm honestly not sure where to start. Or more to the point, how. Ideas, fellow TES and SW fans?

An ageless (Corprus) force user, taught by Darth Vader, living on Tamriel could be rather interesting to roleplay as. I think by Skyrim i'll probably roleplay as this characters newest apprentice, as a 200+ year old force user would be too powerful to be fun to play as (all stats at 100, all perks, and an overpowered modded weapon? Sounds monotonous).

4. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    I have no comment on the rest of your post...but "all stats at 100, all perks, and an overpowered weapon? Sounds monotonous" happens in Skyrim after around 40 hours of play.

5. Alixen

Alixen Jedi Master star 4

Aug 7, 2003
    Indeed, but the way I play, dungeons are a once-per-20-hour occurrence, as I play like i'm writing a fanfic, effectively. Lots of walking, talking, and plot progression, and the occasional fight scene to spice things up. Even in Bethesda games, I only go into locations filled with enemies when I have backup. Makes the experience feel more alive. Of course, playing as a Jedi character might make taking out an entire camp of soldiers alone more 'believable'.

6. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    If you're still playing after 40 hours then I'm guessing you've found something to do to keep you interested! Seriously though, I could just wander around Skyrim all day. It's huge, looks lovely, and is varied enough so that it doesn't get boring.

Darth_Invidious and Zeta1127 like this.
  7. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    40 hours isn't enough to even scratch the surface of Skyrim. Perhaps after 200 hrs. you might start to get bored... :p

Jedi Ben likes this.
  8. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    I don't even know how many hours I am in. I am on Elder Knowledge on the main quest, the Reunification of Skyrim for the Imperial Legion in the Civil War quest, and I have beaten the Companions and College of Winterhold quests. I am also about half way through the Dark Brotherhood and Thieves Guild quests. In addition, I have done a lot of wandering around and numerous side quests in between, and haven't even gotten any of the DLC yet. Of course, I have been intentionally limiting how long I play, otherwise I never would have finished my Bachelor's and started on my Master's.

9. son_of_skywalker03

son_of_skywalker03 Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    I am constantly fighting with myself as to whether or not I should get Skyrim. I have a few games I already like to play (plus a few more yet to come that I know will dominate my focus for long stretches), as well as some semblance of a personal life (albeit very minute at the moment). But all accounts I've heard with this game say that will all be shattered once I enter that particular realm....

10. MarcusP2

Jul 10, 2004
    I was bored long before then.

11. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999

Then you weren't doing it right! :p

Seriously though, the hundreds of hours spent in Skyrim or the Capital Wasteland were an awesome time, but I'd seriously doubt I could bring myself to spend hundreds of hours within any such sandbox ever again. I guess I am too old for this ****.

12. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    I'm not sure I could keep two such games going at the same time, unless they're on different platforms. I'm playing Skyrim on the 360 and ACNL on the 3DS. It helps that they're very different. I don't get the two confused like I might if they were both of a similar genre and style.

I have a question about armour. I'm level 9 and I keep getting weighed down because I've got some heavy armour. I'm thinking of forging some leather or studded armour and putting lots of points into health. That way I'd be able to carry more but I'd also die less when I'm attacked.

Also, what is with Skyrim and swords? I can't seem to find many one handed swords. I have a Blades sword which seems to be the highest rated right now but all I seem to find in the one handed weapons department is axes.

13. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    There's a very nice one-handed sword towards the end of the Thieves Guild questline.

14. Zeta1127

Sep 2, 2012
    For one handed swords, my first suggestion would be Dawnbreaker, Meridia's daedric artifact, which has a bonus against undead and also does fire damage; though the sword Darth-Lando is referring to, Chillrend, would probably be pretty good too, I just haven't obtained it yet in order to find out. I didn't even know about the Blades Sword until long after I had found Dawnbreaker and shortly before I obtained the unique Blades Sword, Dragonbane, during the main quest line, which drains its enchantment extremely fast, and the said enchantment does bonus damage to dragons and a unique form of lightning damage, as the sword's name implies.

Darth_Invidious likes this.
  15. MarcusP2

Jul 10, 2004
    Just craft your own. That's where all the good equipment is.

16. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    I'd love to craft my own swords but my Smithing level is still low. It's only 16 so the best I can do is Steel right now. I really need to buy a house so I can drop off my dragon scales and bone.

17. Grand Admiral Strife

Grand Admiral Strife RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 21, 2001
    Oh, good lord. Amazon has an 'Elder Scrolls Anthology' set coming out for PC on Sept 10 for $80. Every Elder Scrolls game, complete with DOS emulators for the early stuff.

18. MarcusP2

Jul 10, 2004
    Those early games are freeware now anyway.

19. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999

Or you could just make your own house through Hearthfire. I know it's annoying but if you want to up your smithing, just concentrate on forging iron daggers for a day or so until you reach 100.

Chillrend and Dawnbreaker were my workhorse swords through many a quest and even though there were stronger/more powerful swords out there or that I could forge, I kept on using them because they were simply that cool. When I retired my longest running Dragonborn, those two had a place of honor in the armory, each crossed over the other with the Spellbraker shield covering them.

Zeta1127 likes this.
  20. Zeta1127

Sep 2, 2012
    Seriously, Dawnbreaker and Spellbreaker are my signature weapons at this point, and I suspect Chillrend will also end up being a personal favorite of mine as well. I am very close to obtaining it, I am on the quest Hard Answers, and am actually already in position to become Guildmaster, having only done Shill and Numbers jobs to get all of the city influence quests. I would probably end up using a Daedric and/or Dragonbone Sword when I want to conserve charges. Its a shame there aren't really many options for unique War Axes, because I prefer them. I still can't believe I missed that Blades Sword from Delphine's Secret Room, until finding out about it from the wiki. My favorite two handed weapon is Wuuthrad, but I am just not very good with two handed in general.

21. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    I figure I'll get my smithing up as I go. I'm going to keep smithing things and I'm in no hurry. I do have Hearthfire but I don't know how to make a house with it. I'm also close to the 5000 gold that I need for one.

22. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999

Playing from memory here, you can only build a house in certain holds; mainly the tiniest, less powerful holds that don't offer you the option to purchase a house within town. So you can go to Falkreath, Morthal or Dawnstar, speak to the Jarl and if you have become thane or gained enough merit with the Jarl, he/she or its steward will give you the option to buy land within their hold to build a house. Once you're in the lot given to you, you'll be able start building with the materiel awarded to you and the workbench and forge that have been conveniently set up for you there. There will be deposits of stone and clay near the lot that you can use, but you'll need pleanty of legwork/fast travelling (and plenty of gold) to smiths and other general goods stores to purchase your building materials. If your smithing skill is high enough, you'll be able to smith some of the iron work yourself (i.e. knobs and hinges for doors, nails, etc.).

EDIT: I'd suggest building in Dawnstar, since the land given to you is in a lot very close to Whiterun, which will be very convenient as far as fast travelling or even walking/riding to town for supplies, if you so choose to do so. You can't make a custom home mind you; the designs provided by Hearthfire are very standard and will not deviate at all except in the shape of wings or amount of rooms/floors you decide to give to your Dragonborncave.

23. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    You'll also need cash for materials too!

24. Thefinalhack

Thefinalhack Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 11, 2013
    You use Dawnbreaker too? My respect for you just rose by approximately 2.3 miles

Sent via my astromech droid

Zeta1127 likes this.
  25. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    The Dawnbreaker/Spellbreaker combo is simply too awesome, forged Daedric weapons and shields be damned.

Now I'm itching to play this game again...

Zeta1127 likes this.