main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

VIDEO The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - 11.11.11

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by zacparis, Dec 11, 2010.

1. Thefinalhack

Thefinalhack Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 11, 2013
    Then by all means do so

Sent via my astromech droid

2. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    To start a new Dragonborn after losing my previous PCs. I wonder if I have it in me to do it all over again...

3. Thefinalhack

Thefinalhack Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 11, 2013
    The force is your ally, with it at your side the impossible will become in fact possible

Sent via my astromech droid

4. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    I want to at least finish my first game with all achievements, then get the Legendary Edition so I can experience the full game, the patches and the three DLCs. I so want to build more specialized characters, without making silly perk choices like wasting a perk point on Novice Lockpicking, and not having annoying things happen such as the three Bard instruments being stuck in my inventory.

5. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    My plan this time around will be to have a straight on warrior that relies on his sword, shield and bow and uses magic as a last resort. And to make him thoroughly heroic, which means no joining the Thieves Guild and will destroy the Dark Brotherhood. I realize I'll be seriously missing on some choice hardware, perks and powers (not to mention Shadowmere, a trusty loyal tank of steed even with those weird red eyes of his) but I figure I should at least do some proper RP'ing this time around.

6. The Great No One

The Great No One Jedi Grand Master star 8

Jun 4, 2005
    does anyone know if the legendary stuff like the higher skill cap exclusive to that, or is it just a patch that everyone gets?

7. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    Afaik the Legendary Edition only has the DLC and the latest patches and nothing exclusive to it.

Does anyone know a way to prevent vampirism? I finally manage to cure it when I'm attacked by a vampire and I get it again! I'm not going to attack random NPCs to get their soul so I have to hunt down some bandits or Foresworn or somesuch, and they often come in groups.

8. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    I understand the legendary skills were part of one of the latest patches, so I don't think they're exclusive to that edition. So if you already have all the DLC, then no need to splurge for a new copy of the game.

EDIT: As fas as I know, the only way to prevent vampirism is by wearing the Dragon Priest mask Hevnoraak, which gives you immunity to all poisons and diseases (and vampirism is considered a disease as far as the game is concerned).

9. The Great No One

Jun 4, 2005
    you can just take a cure disease potion if you notice you have it before you turn vampire. you should have a disease Sanguinare Vampiris marked in red under you're list of currently active magic effects. there should be some other things happening, like fatigue, as well. basically just give it a quick glance anytime you fight a vampire. or just hit them with a bow from a distance. i've pretty much never gotten it because of doing that. or just play as an argonian.

also thanks on the patch thing. i'll have to make sure i get that soon. haven't played in a while, and i do have all the DLC.

10. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    You can also touch an altar to any deity and get instantly cured if you do so within a day or so after contracting the disease.

11. The Great No One

Jun 4, 2005
    yea, there's also that one. i just figured carrying a few cure disease potions around is easier than having to go to specific places.

12. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    Darth_Invidious: any ideas how to get the mask?

Trimaj: really? I feel silly now as I had some from curing some other stuff.

13. Zeta1127

Sep 2, 2012
    The ancient Nordic tomb Valthume in The Reach is what you are looking for, moosemousse.

14. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999

Yeah, do remember that the mask is attached to a Dragon Priest you have to dispose of first. :p

Zeta1127 likes this.
  15. The Great No One

Jun 4, 2005
    yep, really. it's just a regular disease unless you let it stick around too long. just a simple potion away from being cured.

16. Zeta1127

Sep 2, 2012
    There is one other option, become a werewolf, who are immune to diseases, which is necessary in order to complete the Companions questline.

17. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    So I either have to fight a dragon priest for his mask, or notice I'm a vampire early enough. Neither sounds easy. What are the downsides of being a werewolf?

18. The Great No One

Jun 4, 2005
    just check after you fight one. it takes all of 1 minute.

19. Zeta1127

Sep 2, 2012
    The only notable downside to being a werewolf is no resting bonuses and I myself almost never use my transformation, because I don't know how to effectively utilize its abilities.

20. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    The Vanilla werewolf was somewhat lacking but the inclusion of the Lycanthropy skill tree in Dawnguard really improved the Transform ability.

21. Zeta1127

Sep 2, 2012
    I would experiment with the Totems of Hircine if I wasn't too lazy to figure out which one was which.

22. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999

Downsides I can think of are that werewolves are reduced to pure melee fighters that have little armor and no blocking abilities. As Zeta1127 said, you get no resting bonuses nor can you use any magic other than the very limited abilities provided by the werewolf skill tree. To heal, you have to consume a foe after killing it while in the middle of a melee. So even if you're brutally strong as a dog, that advantage is considerably reduced when fighting a large group of well armed and armored foes with some ranged fighters (be it archers or magic wielders) thrown into the mix.

I take it you're just getting acquainted with Skyrim. Well, vampirism is the least of your worries. As long as you survive the fight and are able to limp of to a temple or drink a cure disease potion in time, you'll be just fine. If that fails, Falion will cure you at any time using his method.

23. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    I missed this earlier but noticing you have contracted Sanguinare Vampiris is incredibly easy. Firstly, you can only get it from Vampires who hit you with a melee attack and even then not every time. Secondly, you get a notification when it happens. Thirdly, after you fight a vampire you can easily check your active effects. Sanguinare Vampiris reduces your health by 25% so this should be readily noticeable.
    Once you have the disease you will get a notification every sunrise that says "You feel strangely weakened by the sunrise" This will continue for three days before it becomes full fledged Vampirism. All you have to do is drink a Cure Disease potion or pray at a shrine (which are found in every major city among other places) and *poof* it's gone.

24. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    Yeah, all that's required is to, gasp, pay attention to your character's stats.

25. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    A more common infection method is the life drain power (the blood red misty magical attack) most vamps use when in open combat. So, it is infinitely better to improve your Sneak and Archery skills prior to confronting vamps. If you play your cards right, you can make short work of many a vampire den by simply sniping them at range.