main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Emperor and Darth Vader's Reign of Terror

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by jedi_john_33, Jan 7, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jedi_john_33

jedi_john_33 Jedi Master star 7

Sep 26, 2003
    How long do you think The Emperor and Darth Vader could have stayed in power, if Luke hadn't run into Obi-Wan?

The Emperor was kept alive by the force and the beings he controlled. Could he have sustained this for an even longer period of time, allowing the dark side keep his biological self alive?

Darth Vader was 3/4 machine, but still had his mind and his heart. Could the machine have kept alive for an even longer period of time, to live by the side of his Dark master and rule the galaxy for hundreds of generations?

2. Indigo_Jade

Indigo_Jade Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2002
    Probably pretty long.

You can't use the argument that they would have been blown up on the DS II anyways, because there wouldn't have been a DS II, as the first one wouldn't have been destroyed. The Rebellion would have been dealt a near fatal blow at Yavin.

If we also use part of the EU explaination, the Emperor could live forever due to his ability to transfer himself into a new clone body.

Vader was "more machine than man" and I am sure they could have replaced anything that he needed.

The only thing I can forsee bringing them down is each other. They just might destroy each other in the desire for power. I can't see Vader being Palpatine's lap dog forever... ;)

Indy

3. jedi_madison

jedi_madison Jedi Youngling

Dec 3, 2003
    Probably forever. I mean the Emperor had how many clones and if Vader was mostly
    machine he could probably live longer than
    most humans.

But if the DS II hadn't blown up and the Rebellion erridicated
    over a number of years would another rebellion begin?

4. Iron_Fist

Iron_Fist Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 30, 2003
    It would have gone on for a very long time. As already mentioned, the Emperor could have transferred his soul into a clone, thus prolonging his life, while Vader was only in his forties, and had the Dark Side to draw on to sustain him. The Rebellion would have most likely been destroyed at Yavin, and the power of the DS would have kept the galaxy in check for a very long time. :)

5. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Eventually Vader would have tried to take out the Emperor and maybe take on an apprentice of his own.

I could honestly see Vader taking power but the Emperor escaping and taking those loyal to him with him.

A galactic conflict might then erupt between two forces of evil.

I like.

6. JBRO13

JBRO13 Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 29, 2003
    Maybe another lost-child-of-a-Jedi would emerge and lead a new resistance.

7. Indigo_Jade

Indigo_Jade Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2002
    Possibly, but if Vader couldn't turn him/her, he would just destroy them, unlike Luke, who he wanted to keep alive.

8. jedi_john_33

Sep 26, 2003
    if Darth Vader was only in the trying to turn Luke and Luke didn't budge like he didnt with the Emperor, I think Vader would have killed him.

then, they would have to wait around for another "born of the force" or a hidden jedi has a child.

9. Obi-Ewan

Obi-Ewan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 24, 2000
    Suppose we don't use EU, and that the dark side isn't keeping Palpatine alive so much as it is corrupting his life, and that he has no clones. Eventually, he would have died. Vader would succeed him. Failing to recruit Luke, who would have come after him?

10. Vuffi-Raa

Vuffi-Raa Jedi Youngling

Jan 6, 2004
    Well, I think there are so many dangers to such powerful people, that you can't be sure how long they would on top of the galaxy. There are simply so many possibilities: new ennemys (or new allies, those can be similary dangerous), accidents, conspirations, because even if the rebellion had been without succes, after a some time there had to be new resistance. So I think there is no sure answer.

11. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    I guess no one coming after him and Vader ruling throuought eternity would not be a suitable answer.
    SOOO, If the balance is not struck, then at some point another chosen one is concieved in the same manner Vader was and might come for him.

12. Iron_Fist

Iron_Fist Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 30, 2003
    Failing to recruit Luke, who would have come after him?

That's a good question. I'd assume that one of the Moffs/Grand Moffs like Tarkin would have been able to assume power - from what we saw in the movies, we knew Tarkin had a lot of power. Either that or possibly some ex-senators, who would have the ways, power, and knowledge to stage either a coup to take control or take control when Vader carked. Or maybe he would have picked someone...

13. Darth-Dispicable

Darth-Dispicable Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 4, 2003
    Based on what Obi-Ewan posted,

I think you are right that the Emporer would have died of natural causes and Vader would have succeeded him as the new Sith Lord, but I don't think that Vader could have ruled the Empire politically with the same effectivness as the Emporer.

Vader was never a politician, so I think it would be more likely that he would appoint a loyal puppet to deal with all the details of running the Empire. That would leave him free to train a new apprentice and continue to spread fear of the Empire throughout the galaxy.

14. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    Vader was never a politician, so I think it would be more likely that he would appoint a loyal puppet to deal with all the details of running the Empire. That would leave him free to train a new apprentice and continue to spread fear of the Empire throughout the galaxy.

I agree completely, given the parameters set here (ignoring the EU, Palpatine's death of natural causes/DS Corruption). A question here, though, is who would Vader put as a puppet on the throne? Even if we ignore names, there are several different possibilities, with their own pluses and minuses.

1) Someone already high up in the political system of the empire (i.e. Tarkin or another Grand Moff)

+: Very familiar with the Imperial system, very likely to be a skilled politician, would probably be the best to handle the Empire.

-: Likely would be much more difficult to maintain control over and would therefore try to take real control over the Empire, in an attempt to otherthrow the power behind the throne, Vader. Of course, the attempt may or may not be successful.

2) Someone in the Imperial political system, but not one of the most powerful people in it. (say, for example, a Moff (not a Grand Moff) or a Governor)

+: Familiar with the Imperial political system, probably a decent politician, easier to maintain dominance over as Vader would be the source of their rise in power.

-: May not be used enough to politics on a wide scale in order to handle the Empire.

3) Someone either very low in the political heirarchy or from outside the Imperial system.

+: Easy to maintain dominance as the primary and dominant source of their power

-: Would likely not be the best person to handle things politically.

4) Someone from the Imperial Military.

+: Would have the feel for controlling a large, militant orginization

-: If you're going with a military person, then what's wrong with Vader himself? He probably has at least as much political savvy as the officers in the Navy.

15. Delorean_Kenobi

Delorean_Kenobi Jedi Master star 3

Mar 14, 2003
    Let's just assume there are no cloned Emperors etc...

I think the Emperor would have lived his normal mortal life expectancy and Vader would assume control over the Empire. I think it was always the Sith plan to rule the galaxy over, in their minds, the lesser beings (ie non-Darkside Force users) but it just took someone of the Emperor's intelligence to make it happen. With no Jedi to stop Vader I doubt many would be powerless to stop him.

Vader would have then found an apprentice, as Force-sensitive people would still be around, and would have trained a new heir to take over from him when his time came, which I couldn't imagine to be longer than his normal life expectancy even with his machine parts.

16. jedi_john_33

Sep 26, 2003
    can dark side users turn into force ghosts?

if the emperor died, wouldn't he stick around in ghost form to be sure the sith stay in power?

17. mjerome3

mjerome3 Jedi Knight star 6

May 11, 2000
    After the Jedi had kept peace in the galaxy for over a thousand generations, The Emperor's reign with Vader being his right hand man only lasted twenty-three years. The Emperor's reign was very short.

The Emperor was well into his eighties and he wouldn't have lived another thirty years anyways. Perhaps the only thing to stop him was the will of the Force itself. As for Vader, he would have kept replacing machinery until his body died on its own.

18. Errant_Venture

Errant_Venture Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 21, 2002
    Yes, dark side users can turn into ghosts. Palpatine did that to a certain extent, but he had his spirit occupy clone bodies so he could theoritically rule forever as a living being and not as a "ghost".

19. WMCoolmon

WMCoolmon Jedi Padawan star 4

May 19, 2002
    I think Vader would let Tarkin take control of the Empire. Tarkin had the Death Star under his command, and could easily wipe out anyone who tried to oppose him. Vader and he seemed to have a comfortable working relationship and honestly, Vader doesn't seem like an empire-ruler.

20. Sophita

Sophita Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 24, 2002
    I think, save EU explanations, that Palpatine's reign would not have lasted much longer. As others have said, he was pretty old and if the dark side corrupts as it seems to, it seems he was reaching the end of his natural life anyway.

Vader? Completely different case. Vader could last a while - not only is he in his early middle age, but he's also primarily mechanical, so he isn't as affected by his age. Once he becomes a ruler [and he would, I think, because I think a large part of him was dissenchanted with Palpatine's way of doing things and by ESB he did think he could do better and bring order, etc.], I could see him lasting a long time, if not eternity, depending on just how much of him is mechanical.

If he had to pick someone to replace him, I think he would take an apprentice [Who? would be the more interesting question, as I can't think of too many force sensative people we know. There's Mara, who's loyal to Palpy, and possibly Leia, although it's possible she'd be dead since Luke wasn't around, and ...that's it, save some nameless hands who were also loyal to Palps. I can't think of any others.] or pick someone in the military. Vader shows a distaste for politicians, so I find it hard to believe that he would be very friendly with the moffs. If anything, I see him further distancing himself further from the political court, if not taking steps to see it diminished or eradicated.

If Vader didn't take an apprentice for whatever reason, then I think he would pick a military protege as his successor. That might be difficult to find, as Vader seems to be very strict on failure, to say the least, but he seems to prefer the military to the imperial court, so I would bet he would pick someone likeminded.

21. Jedi_Hood

Jedi_Hood Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 10, 2000
    I think it was inevitable that Obi-Wan would have inserted himself into Luke's life at some point anyway. And if you believe that it was Luke's destiny to overthrow Vader and the Emperor, then eventually it would've happened.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.