main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Emperor or the Senate?

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith (Non-Spoilers)' started by k-man, Jan 21, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. k-man

k-man Jedi Youngling star 3

May 14, 2002
    If this is already be a topic, please reply with a link.

If not...

We've seen Palps use the senate to carry out his plans, namely to give him supreme authority. We know he'll declare himself Emperor, but we also know the senate exists (as a puppet body or otherwise) until Episode 4. I'm wondering if Palpatine will continue to manipulate the senate to carry out his will so it appears to be the will of the populace. For example, will Palpatine declare the Jedi to be persona non grada or will the senate pass legislation against them?

2. ForceHeretic

ForceHeretic Jedi Youngling star 4

Dec 8, 2002
    I think he keeps them around just so the general public thinks they have some say in the govt. and gives the senate at least some power to go along with this

But when things get out of hand with the senate, what with the rebellion gaining ground there and all he decides the best thing to do is to dissolve it permenantly and rule by fear instead of beuacracy (if thats how you spell it)

3. stinrab

stinrab Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 9, 1998
    I think he keeps them around just so the general public thinks they have some say in the govt. and gives the senate at least some power to go along with this

That's probably exactly what happens. Afterall, it's what most dictators do

4. k-man

May 14, 2002
    But what about the Jedi and EP III?

Do you expect that we'll see the Senate rise up against the Jedi and kindly old Chancellor Palpatine reluctantly agree to their ruling (like the way he accepted emergency powers), or do you expect that it will be more of a bold decree by EMPEROR Palpatine himself?

5. ISD_Devastator

ISD_Devastator Jedi Master star 4

Oct 11, 2002
    The Senate does exactly as Palpatine wishes.

6. ForceHeretic

ForceHeretic Jedi Youngling star 4

Dec 8, 2002
    It's been known that Palpatine declares himself Emperor, he was never voted this new power/title

You can say he was voted it cause of the emergency powers but that was supposed to be a temporary thing, but thats now how it works out

7. NiktosRule

NiktosRule Jedi Padawan star 4

May 8, 2001
    I agree with what ForceHeretic has said.

As for the issue of the Jedi:
    I think Palpy will turn public opinion against them. He will show how the clones with their vast numbers can keep control in the galaxy while the Jedi with their low numbers could not establish such a goal. He may also blind them with his Darkside abilities to make them see only the flaws and weaknesses of the jedi order.

8. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    I doubt Palpy will baldly proclaim that the Jedi are not properly serving the Republic any more and should be replaced. It's more his style to engineer some events that will make the Jedi look incompetent, or better yet, incriminate them as traitors. The Senate will then voluntarily relieve the Jedi of their position in the government.

If Palpy makes it seem that the Jedi are traitors, it doubly serves his purpose because it also helps him start a propaganda campaign to convince the people of the galaxy that the Jedi are evil and always have been.

9. k-man

May 14, 2002
    Well, Palps knows that Dooku is an ex-Jedi and the general populace knows that Dooku is head of the Seperatists, so I'm thinking that the Jedi will get labelled untrustworthy and suspicions about them will cause public opinion to be very negative. I think the Jedi, through Dooku, will get the blame for causing the war; the Republic will win the war but at great cost, and people will blame the Jedi for not defeating the seperatists sooner.

10. senseless_apprentice

senseless_apprentice Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 18, 2002
    I think stormtrooper diplomacy will keep the votes in the senate in accordance with Palp's law. No one wants those guys in their system.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.