main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

THE EMPEROR/SADDAM STATUES TUMBLING

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by 72Fan, Apr 9, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 72Fan

72Fan Jedi Youngling

Apr 9, 2003
    Okay, when I saw the Saddam Hussein statue tumbling today, FIRST THING I thought was the Palpy statue tumbling in the ROTJSE. :)

2. Master Salty

Master Salty Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 18, 1999
    [face_laugh]

Those Marines are probably Star Wars fans.

3. Daughter_Of_TheForce

Daughter_Of_TheForce Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 1, 2001
    What about the people who pulled down statues of Lenin when the Soviet Union broke up? :p

4. PalpatineAntikristos

PalpatineAntikristos Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 6, 2002
    "What about the people who pulled down statues of Lenin when the Soviet Union broke up?"

That happened prior to the Special Editions and may have helped inspire the scene in which Palpatine's statue is toppled in ROTJ SE.

5. _Xanatos_

_Xanatos_ Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 18, 2003
    today I saw that and was just thinking of starting a topic like this. Now a Republican Guard troop needs to get thrown off a building like the stormtrooper.

6. DarthMandarb

DarthMandarb Jedi Master star 2

May 29, 2002
    Apparently we ALL thought alike when seeing that this morning! Because I actually started typing a post about it and then my computer crashed and I didn't get back around to it!

Yes, that was the exact thing I thought of while seeing that! And it was heart warming to say the least. I hope this thing (war) is almost over.

dm

7. LORDeron_MAULer

LORDeron_MAULer Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 6, 2003
    You know pulling down a statue is not an unusual thing in cases like this. This things ahve been going on all through out history I doubt Return of the Jedi had a lot to do with it. Wasn't it Iraqis who pullld it down? I didn't see it collapse i just saw a crowd of Iraqis trying to pull it down, but they didn't manage it due to height.

8. Ret

Ret Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 17, 1999
    Wonder if they used the same technique to take down Palpy's statue.

9. Esplin9466

Esplin9466 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 27, 2002
    Great minds think alike, I suppose. The same image came to mind when I learned of the event.

10. DarthMandarb

DarthMandarb Jedi Master star 2

May 29, 2002
    LORDeron_MAULer - The Iraqi people started to knock it down, but couldn't do it. So the Marines stepped in and 'helped' them do it. So it was a joint effort :)

dm

11. ForceHeretic

ForceHeretic Jedi Youngling star 4

Dec 8, 2002
    yea the iraqi's couldn't cause it was to heavy, but yea a tank will pull down any statue in no time (cept statue of liberty, that'd take a whole lotta tanks)

Yes it is very cool how it was pulled down just like the Emperor's statue

But what's even cooler is stormtroopers won't show up to stop em, they're free!

12. dArTh_wenley

dArTh_wenley Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 10, 2001

I never made this connection. [face_laugh]

13. Darth Jamus

Darth Jamus Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 1, 2000
    Well, I read about it on the Force.net and immediately turned on FoxNews to see it for myself. It was pretty awesome, though I am sure that Star Wars was the last thing on their minds when doing that! ;)

14. Emos-Edud

Emos-Edud Jedi Padawan star 4

May 29, 2002
    And Saddam has decoys.

15. ForceHeretic

Dec 8, 2002
    Decoys don't have to do with tearin down a statue...

It was pretty awesome, though I am sure that Star Wars was the last thing on their minds when doing that!

Very true. I bet they were rather thinking of what they'd do to Sadaam if he was there, it'd make the desecration of the statue look like nothin I'm sure

16. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    >> Decoys don't have to do with tearin down a statue...<<

You think that was the real statue of Saddam? It was just a decoy! The real 20-foot statue is hidden in a bunker somewhere, where no tanks can topple it over...

;;D

17. Darth-Stryphe

Darth-Stryphe Former Mod and City Rep star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 24, 2001
    Apparently we ALL thought alike when seeing that this morning!

Most likely, it was one of my first thoughts.

18. Clonetrooper1000

Clonetrooper1000 Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 24, 2003
    "And Saddam has decoys."

Maybe there clones.

19. Angel_Blue01

Angel_Blue01 Jedi Master star 2

Nov 28, 2001
    It was one of my first thoughts too.

The scene in ROTJ is obviously based on those post-USSR events, that the media likes so much. (As Daughter_Of_TheForce and PalpatineAntikristos pointed out.)

(OT: You know, I was reading some old magazine clippings from 1991, for the view on Gulf War I, and I didn't see a statue of Lenin getting pulled down, but of some other long-named Soviet Communist, whose name begins with a 'D', I think, back in August of '91.)

Back to Iraq.There seem to many be so many statues of SH in the whole country, that I'm sure we can convince some Star Wars-minded Iraqis/US Marines to start celebrating at night while they do it...

And have somebody shout "Son of Suns!" etc.

8-}

20. ForceHeretic

Dec 8, 2002
    You think that was the real statue of Saddam? It was just a decoy! The real 20-foot statue is hidden in a bunker somewhere, where no tanks can topple it over...

Haha :p

21. ultimatejedi90

ultimatejedi90 Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 24, 2003
    i have the ewok song on cd the one from the special edition i was listining to it when i saw the statue fall down .

22. DARTH_VERNON

DARTH_VERNON Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 13, 2002
    'sept we dont see any of the courscant crowds go and beat the hell out of the statue's head...Unless he makes a 'special special edition'!!!

23. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Now they need to find Saddam and throw him off one of his palace balconies. :D

24. ForceHeretic

Dec 8, 2002
    If I was one of them and I found Saddam, well lets just say he'd wish I had thrown him off a balcony, I'd prolly do to him what they did to mussolini

And that's what I'd want to do to Palps if I was one of the GFFA citizens

25. Emos-Edud

Emos-Edud Jedi Padawan star 4

May 29, 2002
    I have a soldier friend who was there in Romania when Ceausescu was offed. He said within a week, the Romanians had minted a coin with the sick bastard's dead face on it. Complete with bullet-hole!

Anyone ever hear of the band Mussolini Head-Kick?

Everyone hates a fallen dictator.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.