main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lou, KY The Empire has been sold: How do you feel?

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by New Vanck, Oct 30, 2012.

1. jedimika

jedimika FanForce Chapter Rep star 4

Apr 2, 2008
    Have to agree with you Jammies. The rational side can't help but see this is a good move for the company...both of them...and we're going to have years of new content to praise or complain about. The emotional side fears change and wonders how much the Empire under Disney will resemble the Empire under George we grew up with.

2. Lord_Zannah

Lord_Zannah Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 4, 2012
    Me? I'm missing my Uncle.

But Jammies... wow, your words are very comforting and calming. Your like a cool breeze after the storm. It all "is" perfectly logical and I know the man made the right choice for his Empire. But like we are all wondering... is it going to feel the same?

For me right now it does not, but real quickly here... it isn't the same. Things have changed. This will take some time, and in the mean time... let our Jammies logic win the day. =D=

Thank you so much for posting up that incredible information. Knowing what is going on is half the battle. And information is power. ;)
    I heart you my Jammies.

3. VoxDeamonicus

VoxDeamonicus Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 19, 2010
    sorry i'm a little late to the party. I have to agree with a lot said on here, specially those made by Mika, Jammies (my nerfherder), and Zannah.
    Do i feel uneasy, even now that it has been a few weeks? Yeppers. still do. it's calmed down a bit, but still there. Like Mika and Zan, being a member of a costume group, that costume to me is like a uniform. It says that i "work" for Geogre. I work to bring a part of his story to life. I work to bring a simile to a person, to maybe help them forget their troubles for a few moments and be in a galaxy far far away. Do I now "work" for mickey? I never have had a real problem with disney. I like some of their movies, and i love Disney World. I have issue with the way they run some things, due to some old insider info, but that is more to do with their personal. I just don't know how i feel yet about working for a mascot. Am i now a mascot? do I have to stamp my butt with a disney logo and copyright now?
    Besides the costume aspect, i am a normal fan. what changes, if any will be made to the EU. the clone wars show has already retcon'ed some of the eu, and that was under the maker's watch. Will there be more under mickey's? Will we see giant alien humaniod mice now? Will SW be made a part of the Main Street Electric Parade? (actually, that would be cool.) What will happen? Along with doing the final triology, what can we expect of the other planned movies? Mickey, will you be using the other books? will we see the Bane series as movies? (YES PLEASE!!!!) Some of the rogue books? thrawn movie? Boba Fett origins? what about the long planned live action show? that still happening? will there be a live action disney kids show? I have too many questions here mickey. I need a road map. Just answer a few of the questions. you don't have to answer all of them. I just want you to answer the important ones, hug me, give me some hot cocoa, tuck me into bed and tell me everything will be okay. I miss my uncle.

4. New Vanck

New Vanck Jedi Padawan

Oct 18, 2012
    Hello again...just stopping by before heading back to the outer rim....built a roof on my new shed and put up sheet metal this weekend...wind nearly took me away!

I have had a while to digest everything and I am going to stick with my original stance...this could be good or this could be bad..we shall see.

So they have confirmed that the new movies will be completely original. So no Thrawn trilogy or anything else. That's a point in favor in my opinion...don't mess with canon. Also, the original trilogy actors and actress are thinking about or are in talks about reprising their roles. Okay, another point in their favor as those characters are still around. So far so good I think.

However, I am not liking some of the rumors going around the web. Yes, they are just rumors and no one knows what the final result will be, but a British paper was saying they were going to resurrect Vader for episode 7. If they do something that nuts (again only a rumor at this point), they does not bode well with them keeping canon.

If they kill canon, I may just tip my hat and say no thanks to the new Disney Star Wars and just stick to the old Star Wars. This is just my opinion mind you. As George originally planned to have the sequel trilogy 20 to 30 years after Jedi which puts it right during the New Jedi Order timeline, I am going to be a bit touchy as I love that part of the timeline.

5. honeybadger

honeybadger Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 4, 2012
    Honestly, I'm glad it's out of GL's hands.

In the OT, the actors had enough sway to make something of the terrible dialogue and establish their archetypal characters... Guinness as the wise old wizard, Ford as the lovable rogue. Hamill didn't even need to act, he was the young adventurer lost in a world he didn't understand. The special effects wete groundbreaking and the whole thing came across as a mytholgical adventure in space.

GL's control-freakery ruined the prequels. Apart from the emperor (who was awesome) the only thing I really took away was the barely-concealed smirk on McGregor's face while telling Padme about Anakin killing younglings with Portman's ridiculously wooden earnest-face behind him. Meh, it's all been said before, and more eloquently.

As much as he contributed to the OT in many ways, there's at least a chance of a decent film or three now Lucas can't choke them.

6. mindtwister_138

mindtwister_138 Jedi Master star 3

Jul 19, 2002
    We'll just have to wait and see what happens. If House of mouse destroys it, the one thing they can't touch is the OT and PT, as much as some hate the latter. Personally, I liked them, although you kind of have to look at them with rose tinted glasses, and not compare them to the OT, because in that aspect, they simply fall flat.

I would love to see the New Jedi Order myself. That would be an amazing series of movies to watch if done correctly. Although I AM hoping the next trilogy will deal with the OT characters, because let's face it, we can never get enough of Luke, Leia, Han, and Chewie!

7. Yoda_Jammies

Yoda_Jammies Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 28, 2003
    I agree 100% my Nerfherder. But, if they do a ST with Chewie, where does that leave the NJO? See what I mean?

And yes. Nothing can or will be done to erase the Ot and PT (which I love too), nor will our book shelves of Star Wars EU be stolen in the middle of the night. If you love those stories like I do, they will always be there.

8. mindtwister_138

Jul 19, 2002
    I do love those stories! I was thinking more along the line of 7,8,and 9 being sometime after 6, but before NJO, then they could do NJO after that is over. Just my wishful thinking of being able to throw another untold of adventure in there that doesn't mess with canon, yet is a sequel with our beloved characters.

9. Yoda_Jammies

Jan 28, 2003
    Mark did do the TV commercial for Vector Prime, do you remember that?

I don't know Twisty. With the rumor being that 7,8,9 are about Luke training his daughter, and that Mark and co. are 35 years older, not 20 (NJO takes place 20 years after ROTJ I think), I don't think canon would hold up that way. I hope they do it after FOTJ but before the Legacy comics. That way, all is saved. I hope [face_nail_biting]

Truth is, we know nothing about this. The way GL has changed his mind, any older statements about 7,8,9 may no longer be true. The big 3 may not be in it at all. For a movie that will come out in 2.5 years, we sure have a lot to speculate about!

10. Lord_Zannah

Sep 4, 2012
    Uncle George? It's Thanksgiving and it doesn't feel the same. =(( I miss you. ... I so miss you. I hope your T-day was awesome... ever so Awesome.

11. Lord_Zannah

Sep 4, 2012
    Happy Thanksgiving Uncle George! [face_dancing]

12. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
    While at the movies the wife and I saw a trailer for Cirque du Soleil's show "Love" which is a Beatles tribute show. I thought there are a lot of dedicated Beatles fans out there with almost as much merch as Star Wars fans but they will never have any new material to enjoy. How lucky are we to have new movies to look forward to.

13. Lord_Zannah

Sep 4, 2012
    In that aspect... we are indeed most fortunate. So long as they can convey the same impact. It'll be a long time before I'll know if the future Star Wars releases ushers forward for "me" in name only. But I look at it this way... If it never feels the same again, I have experienced the best of the best, and no one can take that from me. ... nor "us".

14. Yoda_Jammies

Jan 28, 2003
    On the first page of this thread, I worried about the future of the "fan-made star wars model kit hobby" under Disney's tenure. Well. I think I know now. From a correspondence with me and mold maker:

15. mindtwister_138

Jul 19, 2002
    And so begins the terrible reign of Darth Mickey!

16. Yoda_Jammies

Jan 28, 2003
  17. Yoda_Jammies

Jan 28, 2003
    I know Twisty!

Really, this may be the end of my hobby, and that would su-uck for me. While Revell and Fine Molds makes a model kit here and there (stupid snap tite), it is the fans (like me) that create kits of EU and other SW ships, then cast them for our friends. That The Mouse went after a buddy of mine from Finland, that made and sold kits to make existing licensed kits more accurate is absurd! It doesn't mode well for my friend that casts EU ships (see my post on page one), and I am really worried for him and his family.

I wish The Mouse could see that a fan, that makes his own art, and sells copies of obscure but loves ships like the Moldy Crow and the Ebon Hawk-- doesn't hurt their bottom line! In fact, it generates more interest in the Wars (and no license will ever make a kit of those ships anyway).

18. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
    That really blows. I hope your models are still available to you even in an unadvertised way...underground kits? Back alley and hotel room deals at Wonderfest?

19. Lord_Zannah

Sep 4, 2012
    Here we go.

20. Yoda_Jammies

Jan 28, 2003
    I don't get it. Does the Mouse hate my money?

Cease and Desist letters to model makers (OK they were unlicensed so the mouse wouldn't get the money, but they are not making any kits anyway)

No more 3D releases, even though they were finished with ep 2, and almost done with ep 3.
    Now they cancelled the video game 1313 which was shown at Celebration (and I just got a new rig to play it, it looked awesome).
    And now they won't air Clone Wars Season 6 anywhere. Not on Cartoon Network, nor the Disney Channel.

What gives?

21. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
    I'm in the same bewildered boat as you :confused:

22. mindtwister_138

Jul 19, 2002
    It is starting to sound like the fears everyone had when this sale first started are coming true. Be that as it may, I still have my old school SW, and not even the mouse can take that from me. I say that if they want to be stupid, then yes, we should all have back alley dealings to get what we want and need. Mickey was supposed to be a Jedi, but he reminds me more and more of the Empire.

This all IS very confusing, and it just doesn't make sense from a monetary point of view, nor from a point of view that caters to the fans. I really hope that something happens that makes them see the error of their ways.

23. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
  24. Lord_Zannah

Sep 4, 2012
    I know.... I'm with you Mika.

25. mindtwister_138

Jul 19, 2002
    While I hate losing everything we have so far as fans, I'm actually going to remain optimistic until I see their first finished product. After that, there will no longer have to be speculation. However, I think I'm siding with Mika on this, and to quote a famous smuggler; "I have a bad feeling about this". It doesn't seem worth the trade off with everything they are killing.