main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lou, KY The Empire has been sold: How do you feel?

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by New Vanck, Oct 30, 2012.

1. Lord_Zannah

Lord_Zannah Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 4, 2012
    In the Clone Wars Season 6 trailer there is a part that does state "You must face the gravest of journeys to Moriband, the home world of the Sith". (Skip to 1:43) http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=Hpd501LM6T8#t=103
    Although "the home world of the Sith" part does sound like it has been edited on from a separate phrase.

Is this true? No more Korriban within continuity?

Man... they keep plucking away at my heart.

In the end, us fans have but one choice.. stay with it or leave it behind.

I was 22 when this all started with "A New Hope". I have been here for it all under Uncle Georges watch.

Now this, a whole new dynamic. I just don't know. I try to tell myself this is all just fantasy and doesn't really matter in the real world.

But the reality is this:

It is a fantasy I've known from my early 20's into my late 50's. Now they are in the throws of changing everything on me.... A story line which brought me out of a deep black pit of despair.

That is where it gets real. That is real.

The young will adapt much better. They will come to know a new Universe and there will be a real divide in the fandom.

Alright it's only a planets name this time. But from the moment Disney stepped in it's been the games, the comic distributors, the Lucas Arts team, a television series, books canceled, a new continuity in progress, toys being chopped for sale, and it is adding up to oceans of change.

It has only been one year since the Disney purchase of Star Wars. One year and much has happened.

For me and others, it will be a tough if not impossible adjustment.

I hope the upcoming movies makes it all right.
    That is all I'm saying about all of this.

2. Yoda_Jammies

Yoda_Jammies Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 28, 2003
    I know.

I was going to say the exact same thing, but just couldn't. I feel you. I totally do.

I hope my next few words help though, at least on this one issue:

This story, at least, comes from George, not the mouse. It is HIS Sith that he created, so I do want to watch his view of his creation-- before I personally pass judgment. It may all fit, and we just don't know. Like the Mando thing a few years back-- it all really did fit together! Just that at the time it seemed a real 180 from what we thought we knew; but George knew what he was doing! And the "pacifist Mandos" didn't stay that way for long did they!

Also, as someone too who has been reading this stuff as it was published (eating it all up from when I could first read to today)-- the "true home world of the Sith" has been convoluted. First it was Ziost, then Dromund Kaas, then Korriban. Likewise with the Jedi; the Jedi homeworld WAS Ossus, but now is Tython. In the end, it all worked out.

Maybe Korriban has two names? Well three, as it is also called Pesegam. Wouldn't be the first time in Star Wars. For example: Dac-Mon Calamari-Moncala ; Mimban-Circarpous Five ; Doornik 319-Morning Bell-Preza ; Bakura-Xwhee ; Courscant-Imperial Center-Notron-Had Abadon-YuShanTar ; Endor-Tana ; Kashyyyk-Wookie Planet C-Eden-G5 623 ; Chad-Chad 3-Chadra ; Mindor-Taspan 1... well you get the point, those are just the ones of the top of my star wars filled head.

So, for the reasons above, in THIS CASE, I am not worried but excited. I hope that my excitement about these shows (when I get to fracking see them) is contagious and will give you some sunshine. I know Korriban is very special to you, just as you know how special a consistent star wars universe is to me.

As for everything else you said: I know. I mean, I just know. I read every book in publication order-- I grew up with the Solo kids! I watched them grow, but at the same time they kinda watched me do the same. I can't even think of a universe without them, and "wait and see" gets hard to do sometimes. I don't mind sharing that I am tearing up as I write this. They mean a lot to me, and this universe has helped me grow as a person for almost 35 years-- so much so it is a part of me. I have a psyche, I have a spirituality, I have a personality, and then I have star wars. You know?

But I have faith too. If the Wars helped me grow, then I have to let Star Wars do so too.

Jammies

\The homworld is fracking Korriban gor ramimit!.
    \\Han shot Greedo in cold blood (he can't shoot first if there was no second shot)
    \\\The Ewoks sang yub nub, they did not invite Yonni and his pan flute to the party.

3. Lord_Zannah

Sep 4, 2012
    Wow.... hammer in the head time.

You are right! About all of the points you speak of my Jammies.. you are right.

The most important thing for me you said was this,"If the Wars helped me grow, then I have to let Stars Wars do so too".

I realize I've been holding on to my rock. One which had a rock steady surface. From my perspective that surface was turning to sand and slipping threw my fingers. It felt very much like falling...

But with what you just said in that one little statement ... oh my Jammies your just so ... WUUUUUUNDERFUL!! [:D]

I know what sand does... it creates some of the most beautiful places on earth.

Beaches which stretch to an ocean of beautiful sunsets.

Yes, let the Star Wars grow.
    Thank you my Jammies. It is after all... from a certain point of view.

I must pass this on to others who are hurting in like fashion. [:D]

4. New Vanck

New Vanck Jedi Padawan

Oct 18, 2012
    While the final result of the Disney purchase has yet to be written, I am not that optimistic that things will be alright.

A little retcon now and then is okay.....a change in planet name is just annoying, not catastrophic....etc.

However, I sense that all post Jedi canon....the books I grew up with.....the books that kept me in the fandom.....they are all on the mouse's chopping block.

The key will be the Thrawn Trilogy. If they :change that....then everything past it is null and void.

I fear something terrible is about to happen.

5. Yoda_Jammies

Jan 28, 2003
    Well good Lord_Zannah I hope it did help, and I wonder what your friends' response will be.

I am sure it will be varied. I'm sure someone will (or has) point out that the cartoon just changed a few letters around for the new planet name. It could be lazy, but maybe it is to preserve the Korriban that we know (basically a graveyard) yet keep with the pun-ish naming convention (korriban-corrupt, moriband-moribund *a synonym for important). Again, the Tales of the Jedi comic from 1996 first established the Sith homeworld as Ziost. That same comic did invent Korriban in 1993, but as a dark side planet not the Sith homeworld. It was really the 2003 video game Knights of the Old Republic written by Drew Karpishen that brought Korriban into greater importance then a mausoleum planet. Later still, Abel Pena would write a great article that sorted everything out.

It is a trailer-- so we don't know what the heck that whatever is referring to. Homeworld of Sith teaching? The Sith species? Sith cookie recipies?
    And then, apparently Yoda goes off to talk to the Midiclorians themselves? If they are microscopic oragnisms that tell us the will of the force (as GL wrote in 1977), how do they have a home planet? Or will it be a Mortis style netherworld? And how cool was Liam Nelson talking to Yoda? Regardless of continuity-- I am starting to get super excited for March 7th, and will get the Netflix free week trial. It seems to me that GL left, but left with a lot of meat for us to chew-- and no matter what our personal feelings are about the Mouse (myself included), they didn't have to release this stuff in finished form. I am just glad that they did, and glad that Dark Horse will let Filoni write a comic wrapping up the Maul story.

This thread is really a blessing to us, five pages of us just bearing our heart-- and all of us being warm and civil to each other (like we knew we would, but look at the rest of the TFN forums and you can see some nasty stuff). Maybe we should print this all out someday, like a Star Wars time capsule?

And Vanck I hear you to bud. I don't think we will know anything until December 2015. It is that waiting that is THE WORST. To me (and maybe this is because I have had a virus for the past week), it is like getting a shot at the Dr's office when you were a kid. "this will only hurt a little" says the adult, then they pull out the alcohol, find a swab, find a band aid,....... you wait and you wait and the waiting is unbearable. The shot itself sucks too, and the lolly pop you get is sugar free and nasty and not at all worth it. But, in the long run, your body will be healthier for it.

I truly feel Star Wars, as a franchise, is healthier for the buy out. I mean, what was the alterative? No movies, and a cartoon that was more expensive to make then the profits from the toys that sat on the pegs? The Clone Wars was losing money, as great as it was. It brought Star Wars to my nephew (oh, he was going to get full of the Warz anyway) and his classmates-- but what about the next group of kids? Lucas would have at some point passed away, the franchise gobbled up by some body, and Star Wars would be a cute, kitch thing from the 70s. I mean, at least with Disney, they will treat the property as a whole with respect. The last Bob Iger shareholder meeting has Star Wars's "monetary shelf life" at over 30 years. None of us like, or have ever had to even think about, OUR movie as a stock quote. But, .. 30 plus years? That means I will be in my late 70s and NEW Star Wars will still be a major part of pop culture. That also means I will be in my late 70s (picture the old man from UP) in my robe at the home yelling at the nurse "doesn't anyone remember Zoist anymore? Crimson Jack was the best villion Star Wars ever had dag nabit!"

Looks like we all kinda have our personal "line in the sand." Mika, naturally, is the most level headed of us all I think. He likes the books, the ones that he read, but he views them as books not canon (not trying to speak for you Boss). Zannah doesn't want her Sith messed with, nuh uh. And I know why, it is important to her. Vanck mentioned the Thrawn trilogy as his. 11's would be the majority of the post ROTJ EU from NJO to FOTJ. And honestly, mine is all of it. Okay, if they kept everything the same but over wrote Dark Nest on I might be ok (but even then I would greave, I really would). No really, all of it. I was born on March 12, 1979 the same day the first printing of the King Features Syndicate Star Wars comic strip hit news papers written by Russ Manning. Talk about born under the Stars huh? That strip had a villain named Blackhole, and he fell into a perverbial canon blackhole for a long time. He really was goofy and weird and very 70s. He just was not a part of the Star Wars universe when the EU was re-launched as a "cohesive, contiguous, official continuation of the Star Wars Saga by George Lucas. Each novel will have consiquences with all other novels" (said the back of the original Bantam Books from the 1990s). So when Blackhole was brought back in, as a villain in Luke Skywalker in the Shadows of Mindor I almost cried with joy. I just feel all of it is super important and needs to be respected. And to fit. Just like LFL said it would when I was in the 5th grade.

I think I lost my thought when I started talking about Blackhole. Sorry.

So we do not know the fate of our galaxy, and I don't think we will for some time. Noone is talking to us either which makes it worse. Pablo Hildago even deleted his social media accounts. Lack of knowledge breads fear, and well we all know what fear leads to. My love and my close personal connection to the expanded universe is all over these pages. I don't need to repeat it again. I do want it all to fit, not perfect, but at least from "a certain point of view." I will be hurt of the Solo kids wind up not existing in "Canon." But, that is over a year away, and I cannot grieve for those who have yet to leave us. Instead, besides book club books, I have just decided to re-read all of it all over again and not care about the future of canon or continuity. I'm just reading for FUN. I started last Fall and I am up to Traitor. In my re-reading, I read the novel of Return of the Jedi and Obi Wan said his brother was Owen Lars. I read the above mentioned newspaper strips and General Dedonna died. Then I read he escaped to Hoth. Then I later read X-Wing and he is held captive by the Empire. Looking back, it is all a mess that gets sorted out along the way in such a manner that makes it seem even more real. I really do think that trend will continue into 7,8,9.

As I read Traitor now, Jacen is real. To me, he always will be. Maybe he will be named Frank in Episode 6 and will be nine years old or maybe a wookie, but as I crack open that paperback-- and everytime I crack open that paperback-- Jacen is real and I am back to 2002 when I first opened that book thinking this is realy good stuff!

I truly hope that come December 2015 I will be thinking "this is really good stuff."

VoxDeamonicus likes this.
  6. jedimika

jedimika FanForce Chapter Rep star 4

Apr 2, 2008
    Well said Jammies.

And you're right...Crimson Jack was the best villian Star Wars ever had.

7. Darth Valkyrus

Darth Valkyrus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 12, 2013
    Well if they do that, then if you ask me DisneyWars will cease to be the "true" SW and the Pre-Disney SWU (including its EU) will remain the real one. Or at least, that's how it will be in my mind.

8. Lord_Zannah

Sep 4, 2012
    Jammies... I heart you like nobodies business. @};-

9. xanatos1975

xanatos1975 Jedi Master star 3

Feb 1, 2004
    Very well said Jammies... as Yoda stated in Episode II, "Hard to see the future is" Now he may have been referring to the fact that the dark side was clouding his vision, but that doesn't mean we cannot take anything from that. In this case, the dark side could be our own reservations on what Disney "might" do and based on no facts at all. I will concede that Disney had a pension for making straight to DVD sequels and ruining their own creations such as the Lion King, Aladdin, and so on, but mind you, that was years ago, and Disney has seemed to gotten their stuff together since then. A friend of mind once told me "There is not a problem until it presents itself." Most of the perceived problems we face are not really problems. How many times have you thought you had a problem but there was nothing even there?? I think this is no different and we need to give people the benefit of the doubt until it is proven otherwise.

10. Commander APPO

Commander APPO Jedi Knight star 2

Oct 19, 2012
    Everyone makes valid claims and I think that's because our hearts are true acceptors of the SW reality.=D= In my short life I've found a couple of things that have taken me along my path quite well. "The only constant is change and never forget your past for it is your future". I take that to heart when it comes to what the mouse has in store not only for the franchise and it's effects on future generations but, also for us as fans (some of us for many decades) and how it will affect our past. OK, now I've got to find out who Crimson Jack is??? That's what I love about this group of friends, you never know what NEW things you're going to learn next[face_dancing]

11. Yoda_Jammies

Jan 28, 2003
    On topic:
    The authors of our June Book Club read had this to say--

We’re not going to lie about this. It’s a weird time to have an EU novel come out. The news and the forums are filled with questions about canonicity and the direction of Star Wars moving forward. The place of massive body of work and love and imagination of the Expanded Universe has been called into question just as we became part of it. We wanted to write an invitation into this series for people who hadn’t seen it, and now there are going to be new movies, maybe TV shows, probably books, that may leave some or all of it behind.
    So here’s the thing. If we had it all to do again, we wouldn’t change it. Star Wars — whether you mean just the work of Lucas or the television shows’ continuity or the Expanded Universe or non-canonical LEGO games — is one of the central idioms of science fiction in the last half century, and its new reinvention can change a lot of things without changing that fact. Honor Among Thieves was meant to be a book you could enjoy as part of the Expanded Universe or use to hook your boyfriend who never reads that stuff into it. And it still is.
    The two of us don’t know what the final fate of the EU is going to be. We don’t know what the new movies are going to bring. We can say that the future of Star Wars — like its past — is going to be made by dedicated, creative, passionate fans, and that any addition or new direction is only going to make the soil richer and the mythology wider. And if we can get more people to come play here and understand what about this particular setting and universe makes it what it is, we’ll have won.

12. Yoda_Jammies

Jan 28, 2003
    Regarding Korriban /Moribund....... Zannah, I think you will be pretty happy with George on this one. :)

Spoilers on link:
    http://starwars.com/explore/the-clone-wars/ep613/

Let's just say Korriban is still Korriban, but if you spoke Sith, you would call it something else. [face_tee_hee]

13. Lord_Zannah

Sep 4, 2012
    Oh my.... so the rumors of Lord Bane making an appearance are true... from a certain point of view. .. giggles.

So Korriban 'is' pronounced Moriband in the ancient Sith huh? Interesting twist of grammar. :cool:

Thank You My Jammies! =D=

14. Commander APPO

Commander APPO Jedi Knight star 2

Oct 19, 2012
    Well at least it looks like the y got Banes good (dark) side.

15. New Vanck

New Vanck Jedi Padawan

Oct 18, 2012
    I just read a bit of good news!

They say that Disney confirmed that episode VII is set 30 years after Jedi.

While what is canon and what is not is still up in the air, this does give some potential of keeping quite a bit.

As I always thought the ball was dropped after the New Jedi Order....perhaps someone is going to pick it up and run with it

Time will tell!

16. xanatos1975

xanatos1975 Jedi Master star 3

Feb 1, 2004
    they may be setting it so far ion the future due to the fans reactions about the franchise being sold and the new movies coming out possibly conflicting with the EU books we have come to know and love.

17. Lord_Zannah

Sep 4, 2012
    The Empire Has Been Sold, How Do I Feel?

Much, much better now.... sigh. =D=

18. Lord_Zannah

Sep 4, 2012
    Oh the heck with all of the reserved behavior from me!! IT'S NOT ME!!!! LOL!!!

OH MY GOSH, OH MY GOSH, OH MY GOSH THEY ARE DOING IT!!!!!!! GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!!!

LAUGHING HYSTERICALLY... Oh this has made me so happy!!!!!

Oh I can not wait for this and I don't care what game station I have to buy to play it, it's DONE!!!

Oh spinning round and doing somersaults and... well, maybe no somersaults but definitely spinning around!!! LOL!!!!! [face_dancing]8-}[face_dancing]

VoxDeamonicus likes this.
  19. jedimika

jedimika FanForce Chapter Rep star 4

Apr 2, 2008
    I saw the teaser and thought of you. I know that was one of your favorite Star Wars games :)

20. VoxDeamonicus

VoxDeamonicus Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 19, 2010
    I wonder if she's happy...

21. Lord_Zannah

Sep 4, 2012
    Heee-hee-heeee!!.

22. Lord_Zannah

Sep 4, 2012
  23. Lord_Zannah

Sep 4, 2012

Remember when I said that I wasn't interested in the Play Station 3? I had no interest in any game play with that one? Yea.... Station 3 was by-passed alright. However Play Station 4 has been purchased. I'm ready. [face_dancing]

24. Yoda_Jammies

Jan 28, 2003
    I hope they finish the game before the PlayStation 5 comes out. ;)

25. Lord_Zannah

Sep 4, 2012
    Indeed my Jammies... [face_relieved]