main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST The Empire in the ST

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by purplerain, Oct 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Visitant

Visitant Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 20, 2014
    I don't mind there being some sort of Imperial remnant in the ST, but having the Empire still there with no change at all from the OT would really disappoint me.

2. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    I don't think that there should be a republic in the ST. We already had a trilogy of a republic and more left to accomplish = more places for the story to go.

Dra--- likes this.
  3. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012
    You're correct.

Maybe we have the Alliance governing half the galaxy, but that doesn't make them the fully restored Republic.

Of course, they might refer to themselves as the Republic, but it wouldn't be the same.

Visitant likes this.
  4. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    ROTJ was never the end for me. Can't wait to see an Imperial Remnant in the ST.

thejeditraitor likes this.
  5. loki41872

loki41872 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 13, 2002

Oddly enough, most people I know who are Star Wars fans NEVER thought the Empire just ended after ROTJ.

Do I have to post the Robot Chicken video again?

6. Hoggsquattle

Hoggsquattle Jedi Master star 5

Feb 7, 2009
    I posted this in another thread just now - bit I meant it for here:

Is it true that Kevin Smith brine the NDA he signed when visiting Pinewood?

7. Visitant

Visitant Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 20, 2014

Fine, I was wrong. I just never really heard anybody clamoring about it until recently.

8. jere7my

jere7my Jedi Youngling

May 31, 2014
    Yes. Not only does it make the meat more flavorful, it also loosens the protein bonds and makes it more tender.

9. RedVad

RedVad Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 29, 2012
    Real world parallels don't really work well for Star Wars.

In World War 2 Germany was defeated by the Soviet Union, another "evil empire" and that was only after millions of civilians were killed.

Star Wars can't go into the territory of the "good guys" fire bombing women and children like America did in Imperial Japan.

10. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    I personally don't feel there's any mileage in having the Empire back unless to just exploit their iconography. I understand why the filmmakers may want them back for this reason, and some fans, but I feel like it's a big backwards step... and any such story should have been left for the realms of the EU.

11. Hunter of Bounties

Hunter of Bounties Jedi Youngling

Jul 21, 2014
    I hope the Empire sticks around for the ST. Perhaps the Moffs will try to fill the power vacuum that Sidious left, causing what's left of the Empire to be plagued by infighting. Then the big bad antagonist swoops in, unites the Empire and takes the fight to whatever the Rebel Alliance has become.
    The good guys need an enemy to fight, and the Empire is more than worthy of being that enemy.

12. Hoggsquattle

Feb 7, 2009
    Damn predictive texting. :p

Anyone I discovered that yes he did. Hopefuly Disney pursue that.

13. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014
    Why do you want him pursued? He gave the a great bit of free PR, which they were probably hoping for.

Hogsquattle and darklordoftech like this.
  14. metr0man

metr0man Jedi Padawan star 1

Nov 13, 2012
    This poster Mizzlewump on this page...

http://archive.foolz.us/tv/thread/42968246/

...described several points in March that are being reported now in July.

Some of his bullet points include a an imperial remnant of loyal systems in a state of Cold War with the Republic. Plot supposedly involves a neutral planet with an old Sith weapon which is the subject of tense negotiations between the two sides.

15. TtheForceHurts

TtheForceHurts Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2010
    The Empire or the Remnant played a big part in most of the post ROTJ novels, I wonder why it is a surprise for so many of you that it is still around in the ST.

And I love Robot Chicken and hope that one day they make more SW specials.

darklordoftech likes this.
  16. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    I guess the SEs and prequels have indoctrinated people with the idea that Jedi and Sith are the only forces that shape the galaxy.

17. Hoggsquattle

Feb 7, 2009
    He made a promise by signing the NDA - unless the NDA contain an agreement that he could reveal this bit of information then he had not only behaved badly but also broken the law.

If he can do it and not receive at least a smack on the wrist , then anyone can on the set can reveal spoilers without fear of retribution.

Anyway, Disney will tend it garden as it sees fit.

The Imperials would fight on for a few years but it would not last as a major force for 30 years - it nullifies the victory of Endor and undermines the importance of Palpatine.

It "surprises" people because we expect more imagination from the writers of a Star Wars movie.

Where exactly does this happen in the Special additions and Prequels?

The Special Edition is the same story as the original theatrical cut of the films and makes no mention of Sith in any of the movies and the Jedi are all but extinct. The only galaxy shaping forces in the OT is the Rebellion, the Empire and to a lesser extent the criminal underworld. In the end, yes the Jedi, return as a major players.

In the Prequels, the powerful forces are the Republic, the Jedi, the Sith and the Separatists - add in TCW and there are the Nightsisters and the bounty hunters in the mix though "galaxy shaping" is arguable.

It is the EU that has indocturnated fans with the idea that the Empire, Jedi and Sith are all there is in the Star Wars galaxy.

If the Empire is still the Big Bad in Episode VII and the ST, it would be a complete lack of creativity, imagination and courage - it would show zero faith in the potential of Star Wars to grow.

It would be as someone said on a previous page playing it safe -redoing the EU by a different name - essentially trying to remake the Original Trilogy

Star Wars fans should want more.

18. TheBBP

TheBBP Force Ghost star 6

Nov 6, 2012
    The way I see it is that as far as much of the galaxy is concerned, the Empire is quite literally a political party. With the Rebellion squashing the Empire, they essentially started up, or became the speakers for another political party. The galaxy in this new time period could very well be divided between the Republic and the Empire much like Republic/Seperatists in TCW.

Iron_lord likes this.
  19. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Mostly the post-NJO EU, at that.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  20. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    So does the Sith returning.
    I'd love it if anyone on the set could reveal spoilers without fear of retribution. **** mystery box!

21. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    edit: double post

22. Satipo

Mar 29, 2014
    The zealotry of fans terrifies me some times.

I would be amazed if Disney, LFL, and BR weren't delighted with KS's report, which revealed nothing we didn't already know but did generate positive buzz. This is a movie, why does anyone care so much about the secrecy of a SW film they should want "retribution"? Especially people posting on a spoilers forum. It's ridiculous.

darklordoftech likes this.
  23. STARBOB

STARBOB Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 11, 2002
    the empire was always one of my favorite things in starwars. My favorite characters are imperials. I hope there are imperials elements in the ST. That said I hope that the empire
    is not the enemy for the ST. If it is why even call this the ST? OT was the rebels vs the empire, so this would still basically be the OT.

Hogsquattle likes this.
  24. Hoggsquattle

Feb 7, 2009

Wasn't pre-NJO mostly Empire?

Yes.

I'd love it if anyone on the set could reveal spoilers without fear of retribution. **** mystery box![/quote]

Why would you want to know so much about the movie beforehand?

I have a brother-in-law who reads not only the full plot of a movie, but needs to know how it ends, before he goest see it in the cinema.

Did you actually read my post - no where did I say I was upset about reading a spoiler in a spoiler forum.

I posted about how I would be choosing to avoid spoilers and about how Smith appears to have violated the NDA.

Why have you got retribution in ""? why does anyone care so much about the secrecy of a SW film they should want "retribution"

Are you implying I want the man physically punished, or something? I did not say that either.

What is ridiculous is to pass comments on people without reading their posts properly.

If you don't understand something, ask for clarification.

Precisely

thejeditraitor likes this.
  25. Satipo

Mar 29, 2014
    Maybe you should phrase your posts better then.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.