main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST The Empire in the ST

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by purplerain, Oct 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    And the FT would be the Renaissance/Enlightenment.

Redimet likes this.
  2. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    I'm so glad that I'm not the only one who feels this way. We already had a trilogy of a Republic (and people called it boring) and there needs to be something left for the heroes to accomplish. When there's something left for the heroes to accomplish, the existence of the ST seems more justified.

Jotun Denal, Satipo and Redimet like this.
  3. Han Drolo

Han Drolo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 9, 2014
    Brilliant.

4. TheBBP

TheBBP Force Ghost star 6

Nov 6, 2012

Perhaps ending in the reformation of the church (Rebuilding of the Jedi Order).

Jotun Denal likes this.
  5. Redimet

Redimet Jedi Master star 4

Mar 2, 2014
    Thank You haha.

darklordoftech likes this.
  6. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013

I don't think there's anything to worry about there... I think the alliance may have a strong foothold, they may have even formed a new Republic, but the galaxy will not be united - I'm pretty sure of that. I like the notion of a 'cold war' or an entente cordial that is threatened. Who is involved and what threatens it is more up for debate.

Redimet likes this.
  7. Redimet

Redimet Jedi Master star 4

Mar 2, 2014
    I agree that a cold war would be great to see done in Star Wars as it has not been done up to this point.

Force Smuggler and Darth PJ like this.
  8. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    I think some form of cold war or entente cordial would at least allow us to see some progression of rebels vs empire... (if the empire is to have a sizeable role that is).

9. Han Drolo

Han Drolo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 9, 2014
    Just a hunch guys, but I don't think we'll be hearing anyone in VII refer to an "Empire" as an ongoing thing necessarily. Maybe in passing to reflect on the past, what once was, but as a Government? No.

I do think there will be Imperials though, a political military group striving to re-establish what once was.

For those of you who scoff at the idea that some semblance of the Empire could still be prevalent in the ST thirty years later, look no further than the Republic.

Did the Republic loyalists just vanish once Palpatine re-organized the government into an Empire? No, you still had people like Bail Organa and Mon Mothma etc. who remembered the glory days and waited in the wings. They didn't just go around with a sign on their shirts saying "**** Palpatine" , but they plotted the rebellion.

The situation in the ST will likely put a spin on that concept , the Galaxy will now probably be a lawless frontier, and we'll have multiple factions trying to take what they can and keep whats theirs.

Hogsquattle and Force Smuggler like this.
  10. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    I think what people scoff at is that the Empire would be in exactly the same place 30 years later regardless of the Emperor and Vader being gone.

I agree.

Sidious transformed the Republic into the Empire over a period of decades from all the years he was a Senator then Chancellor to finally the Emperor. The Republic was hardly a great and peaceful place transformed overnight.

With the central points of the Empire gone and the Alliance of worlds jumping on board (which really had already happened in IV but that was passed over for sequel purposes) then I think a wild west sort of thing would happen like the fall of the USSR. Russia still has power and Putin is trying to restore the "glory" of that Republic so the same sort of thing could happen in these films.

The Star Wars had the Jedi working for an Empire so there are all kinds of variations possible. Personally I favor the idea that while the Empire is around in some diminished form someone is manipulating them telling them that they can restore the "peace and order" the Empire can bring but really they are just pawns being used to crush the Alliance and when they are finished the leadership of the Empire would be wiped out and the Sith? will rule again.

11. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Maybe the crowds were actually cheering for Pestage to take over and Pestage was enjoying beeing cheered for.

12. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    This is certainly how the script played out with my Kenner figures in my backyard.

That poor "Imperial Dignitary" figure's paint came off of his nose and the plastic underneath was purple. Becoming Emperor left him scarred and deformed but, I assure you, his resolve was never stronger.

TK327, HL&S and darklordoftech like this.
  13. HL&S

HL&S Magistrate Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 30, 2001
    My Emperor action figure met his unfortunate end by falling down the crack between the cement porch and the apartment. I'm pretty sure he spent eternity next to spiders, water bugs, and one of my sisters lost Cabbage Patch figures.

My Empire had a series of failed Emperors afterwards including Emperor Cobra Commander and Tweeg from Teddy Ruxpin.

14. Ubraniff Zalkaz

Ubraniff Zalkaz Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 26, 2014
    That's what I'm thinking, too. The galaxy is probably still in turmoil and the economy probably went into severe recession. Pirates, thieves, and just all around bad folk are running wild.

15. lovelikewinter

lovelikewinter Jedi Knight star 4

May 28, 2014
    Not everyone would hate an Empire. Especially those in power, like the Moffs. I think Max Von Sadow is a Moff/Governor who has taken a piece of the former Palpatine Empire and made it his own.

The other major power would be the Alliance, led by Princess Leia and several other worlds (Kashyyyk, Dac, etc). Some of the earliest drafts had monarchies that were portrayed as not-evil.

Hogsquattle likes this.
  16. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    Yeah pretty much. Any Imperial remains will more like an annoying mosquito or cockroach that keeps ruining the company picnic.

It's much harder to fight enemies that aren't centered in a particular location or single regime and that will likely be the issue. I have a feeling it will somewhat mirror the conflicts in the mid-east that some say were started as WWII ended. Still, they would have to be VERY careful since things in the mid east are rather sensitive.

17. phatdude1138

phatdude1138 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2005
    Well in light of the "rumored/leaked" Stormtrooper helmets (in this thread), it looks like not only did the Empire survive the death of the Emperor, but it actually GREW.

Only a few options to justify these new helmets:

1. The helmets already existed in the ROTJ Empire and we just never saw them on screen.
    2. The helmets were later developed and issued to the Empire AFTER the events of ROTJ.
    3. This is the Republic or some other military group that isn't the empire.

I'd say the second option is more likely, and this sheds A LOT of light on the direction of EP7! This means the Empire stayed together, well enough that they still were developing new armor and distributing it long after the death of the Emperor.

18. Jotun Denal

Jotun Denal Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 4, 1999
    The Clone Wars show (and the rebels show) introduced a lot of weird helmet designs, some based off McQuarrie's work. These new helmets seem to be a logical progression, especially for younger fans that grew up on the new material.

JoinTheSchwarz likes this.
  19. Jedsithor

Jedsithor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 1, 2005
    I really hope this movie doesn't end up being a nostalgia trip with Abrams trying to recreate the OT rather than progress from it. This isn't 5 or even 10 years after Jedi, it's 30. That's longer than the Clone Wars, the Dark Times and the Rebellion combined. The Empire still being an active and potent threat would be ridiculous. It'd be like the Nazis being around in Germany in the 1970's, not only trying to restore the Third Reich, but having a chance at succeeding.

The ending of Jedi made it pretty clear that the galaxy at large had no interested in sticking up for the Empire and with a galaxy in open revolt and no leadership to give orders, the Imperials would be in disarray. 30 years later, the Empire should be completely gone, absorbed into the restored Republic. If some worlds wanted independence, that's fine. If some fanatical terrorist group wants to restore the Empire, that's fine too. But the Empire itself is dead and it should stay that way. Time for a new threat, perhaps one that Jedi and Sith alike would fear.

20. JediKnightWax

JediKnightWax Jedi Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    The fact that the helmets still look menacing means that the Empire is still trying to spread fear across the galaxy rather than trying to be best buddies.

21. redlightning

redlightning Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 1, 2014
    The remaining forces of the Empire is simply going to be set on reconquest of the galaxy with the extra help of some sort of Dark Force user trying to help accomplish it.

22. Hoggsquattle

Hoggsquattle Jedi Master star 5

Feb 7, 2009
    What early drafts?

23. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    I was hoping from the getgo that this movie would not be TOO much of a sequel while also not being TOO much of a new adventure. In other words, I didn't want a whole new breed of bad guys from some other star system that was not related to the previous films, thus causing the whole thing to seem completely disjointed.

At the same time, I didn't want it to be such a connected sequel that it essentially erases the entire purpose of the OT.

By showing the aftermath of the Empire's collapse and how other worlds have created a power struggle for the galaxy and, in the midst of all of that, a new dark side force rises, you accomplish the nuance while also keeping it connected. Hell, that stuff I just mentioned can result in a new Empire who has access to the Imperial weaponry and armor.

However, if you just simply say "hey, the Empire didn't really get defeated because it's so big" you miss the point of storytelling and themes. The fanaticals that may be perpetuating the Empire will be a whole new generation, possibly obsessed because their fathers died at the hands of the rebels or something along that line.

Darth PJ likes this.
  24. D'an

D'an Jedi Master star 4

Apr 21, 2014
    I'm not worried about "The Empire" returning. I'm still leaning towards a return to Moff rule. I think it's most likely that the trooper training academy survived (something along the lines of West Point) and is serving some kind of core worlds organization. I think the helmets look pretty cool, but I was excited to see some chrome. Looks like they're sticking with Rubbermaid white.

Jotun Denal likes this.
  25. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014
    I think the chrome troopers are still a possibility.

D'an likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.