main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST The Empire in the ST

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by purplerain, Oct 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    Yes, that or imperial insurgents as suggested. As for the second part, I'm guessing whoever is leading the new movement that attempts to restart or rejuvenate the new empire. Gwen Christie, Adam Driver, Max von Sydow, Oscar Isaac, whoever.

Are you suggesting that whatever exists of the Empire is the same exact Empire from the OT? I think that's one thing that all or most of us can agree will not happen.

Jobertus likes this.
  2. Hoggsquattle

Hoggsquattle Jedi Master star 5

Feb 7, 2009

That is the only thing in the radio drama I didn't like - Motti's influence over Tarkin. Pushing Tarkin to plot against Palpatine and, later, telling Tarkin to stay on board the Death Star (during the battle when the Imperials discover the weakness) or he wake him appear weak.

darklordoftech and starocean90 like this.
  3. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    I noticed that the ANH novelization says "Emperors". This shows that the concept of multiple Emperors over the years has been considered.

Bullhead CIty likes this.
  4. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    We know that the Republic is an idea because it was defeated 1000 years before the movies yet returned after the Sith fell from power. The Empire is also an idea because the "reorganization" of the Republic into the Empire was a fundamental change in the ideology on which the government was founded.

5. Redimet

Redimet Jedi Master star 4

Mar 2, 2014
    I think the Empire in Episode 7 could be very different from the one we saw in the OT.

6. TheBBP

TheBBP Force Ghost star 6

Nov 6, 2012

In the movies, we got to see an itty bitty corner of the Empire. You can't speak as to what the entire Empire was like.

Satipo and Hoggsquattle like this.
  7. Jcuk

Jcuk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2013
    I'm extremely intrigued to find out in Episode VII exactly how the Empire has persisted as a force. After the defeat at Endor (in which it's 2 primary purveyors of fear that were instrumental in it ruling the GFFA met their end) and the destruction of The Death Star MK 11, for it to still be prevalent as an entity after 30 odd years is, IMO, going to have to make sense and be totally unquestionable.

Hoggsquattle likes this.
  8. JediKnightWax

JediKnightWax Jedi Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    You think the Empire is going to stop at 2 Death Stars?

9. Jcuk

Jcuk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2013
    I hope so. I mean, where do you then draw the line? God forbid we end with up the scenario of 'oh look! It's another big scary death weapon'. This idea of the Sith home world actually being a 'big weapon' is interesting. Until you think to yourself, 'Well, a galaxy is a MASSIVE place. Has the planet been made mobile? Can it be moved? or does it just stay in is orbit like every other planet? Can its death ray be targeted on ANY planet or whatever in the galaxy? Many questions need to be answered..(lol)

10. Hoggsquattle

Feb 7, 2009

Yes, I very interested to see what the political landscape is like in the Sequels.

How much does the Empire control? Did the Alliance stay together or did old rivalries resurface?

I'm also hoping that the stormtrooper armour isn't the perfect white style - I'd like squad and legions to their own markings, similar to the Clones, but not as personally customised. Official insignia and such.

darklordoftech likes this.
  11. EviL_eLF

EviL_eLF Force Ghost star 5

Mar 16, 2003
    Considering the epic failures of both... I'd assume the next ultimate weapon won't be quite so large, but maybe more destructive or maybe more "devastating" not in terms of sheer power but the sheer evil nature of what it does (think chemical weapons on a planetary scale or something).

Hoggsquattle likes this.
  12. Hoggsquattle

Feb 7, 2009
    Yes, in-universe, probably not wise to to try that again.

From a story perspective, rather dull to cart out the same thing again.

EviL_eLF likes this.
  13. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    A survived empire scenario has quite a bit to overcome:

The defeat and death of the Emperor, his policy enforcer and the cabinet of imperial dignitaries.
    The defeat and capture of the empire's legion of "best troops" on Endor.
    The destruction of their fleet's flagship and a majority of their fleet and top ranking admirals and captains.

Somewhere in the galaxy: "All right, privates! Congratulations, you have just graduated early! To Grand Moff rank!"

Jcuk likes this.
  14. Hoggsquattle

Feb 7, 2009
    It is stated in the movie that any of his entourage are of high rank or hold any kind of office.

We also see very little of the Imperial fleet destroyed or captured (nor do we see any escape).

And a legion isn't that many troopers in the grand scale of things - and being the "best" stormtroopers is all relative, they didn't seem to hit much either ;)

What evidence is there that the Empire is in the Sequels? The stormtrooper armour?

Is it stormtrooper armour or has the Alliance taken the design for its own troops? It was Clone armour "originally".

15. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    You're trying too hard.

Halfway through your reply I became too bored to answer all of those questions. :p

16. Hoggsquattle

Feb 7, 2009
    That's okay - the questions for the thread in general, not anyone specifically. :)

The Empire has a lot to overcome, just not those points. The only real losses were Vader and Palpatine. Everything else is wife open.

EviL_eLF likes this.
  17. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    Honest question. All answers are welcome.

All other issues involving the Empire's survival aside, how does the Empire's survival ruin the fairy tale? Since when is there a rule in fairy tales that regimes can't survive the deaths of their leaders?

Hoggsquattle likes this.
  18. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
    This could all have been avoided if Return of the Jedi showed Luke symbolically tossing the Imperial flag down the reactor shaft. Goodbye flag... goodbye entire Empire.

19. D.A. McCoy

D.A. McCoy Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 6, 2014
    I used to be pretty anti-Empire for the ST, but over the last few weeks I've been thinking about it (since it's obvious they're back) and I think I'm OK with it now. I used to feel like it would make VI's ending mean less, but I realized that Palpatine's death and Anakin's redemption are the real victories of that film, not necessarily the Emprie's destruction. Whether or not the Empire fell at that moment or not, the more important villainous presence of all 6 movies was defeated. So I no longer feel like it's a problem.

I do think that it will be disappointing if after 30 years the Rebels are still where they are and the Empire is still in full command of the galaxy. There needs to be some progress made. But I can see both sides still fighting on more equal terms now.

Satipo and darklordoftech like this.
  20. Hoggsquattle

Feb 7, 2009
    D.A. McCoy

I wasn't happy either, having the same villains again after 30 years, but the idea of the Cold War has me very intrigued.

Isn't the only hard evidence of the Empire in the Sequels just the stormtrooper armour?

We don't know for certain who they work for or that the Empire is still the Empire - it could have evolved into something else.

D.A. McCoy likes this.
  21. jedijax

May 2, 2013
    Suspension of belief. If you defeat a force, their leaders, and their superweapons then they could survive, yes. However, for the sake of a story (fiction, not reality), if the rebels couldn't have beaten them in the OT and after all the celebrations and 30 years gone by, then why watch? What's there to make anyone think that the Empire will EVER be defeated? It would be time to go home at that point.

It would be the war that never ends, thus being absolutely no reason to stay tuned to see how it all ends.

22. Hoggsquattle

Feb 7, 2009
    jedijax

It depends on the state of the Empire in the post-RotJ era and the Sequels.

If it is the same as in the Originals, yes that is ridiculous and pointless.

However, it could be a very different beast altogether in the new movies - vastly dismissed sphere of power with the same stormtroopers but a new philosophy, etc.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  23. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    In this case, there would be no point in watching Jedi vs. Sith. You've called Jedi vs. Sith a neverending war and here you say that there's no point to watching neverending wars. "It would be time to go home at that point", "absolutely no reason to stay tuned", etc. sound like absolute statements.

24. PCCViking

PCCViking 6x Wacky Wednesday Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Jun 12, 2014

The Post ROTJ Empire could be like Post-Stalinist Soviet Union: still totalitarian, but not as bloodthirsty or genocidal as under Palpatine.

Hoggsquattle likes this.
  25. jedijax

May 2, 2013
    Could be. I was also thinking of another analogy (not to be too controversial).

The Empire with Palpatine was like Saddam-ruled Iraq. Then, years later, you have groups going around causing problems like ISIS-loyal to the Saddam rule but even more vicious and horrible and took years to organize to become what they are now. And of course they are still tied to radicalism and religious conflicts.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.