main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST The Empire in the ST

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by purplerain, Oct 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zuckuss the Ruckuss

Zuckuss the Ruckuss Jedi Master star 4

Jan 5, 2013
    It seems to me that the Death Star construction was an Imperial Army project not a Imperial Navy one. Perhaps because the Army had most of the engineers?

2. DarthLightlyBruise

DarthLightlyBruise Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 11, 2015
    I much prefer the realism of either a Cold War-esque situation, or a galaxy of multiple competing power centers. The idea that peace would reign a mere 30 years after a Galactic Empire lost its leadership seems preposterous to me.

3. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012
    Well yes, but what about the mystery of an Empire suddenly appearing after having hidden like a frog behind a rock?

That's obviously superior to logic.

"The Empire was too vast to be destroyed after one battle? I thought Empires were teeny!"

4. loki41872

loki41872 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 13, 2002

So... rip off Battlestar Galactica, then?

Sorry, but that's pretty much what you wrote. Replace "Empire" with "cylons".

Hoggsquattle and Dra--- like this.
  5. DarthLightlyBruise

Feb 11, 2015
    Unoriginal! :)

Dra--- likes this.
  6. SLASHAXL

SLASHAXL Jedi Master star 2

Dec 25, 2005

Firstly the Separatists had access to practically all of the Republic's Intelligence, as Darth Sidious kept Count Dooku & Co ahead of the game. Without this, I doubt the separatists would have even got of the ground, as the Jedi would have hunted them quickly. With the Sith now gone, The rebel Alliance had a huge advantage.

George Lucas had Indicated that after Darth Vader got badly Injured, he wasn't quite what Sidious had in mind ( Now less powerful than Sidious himself ). While Luke was more like Jedi Anakin ( Maybe not trained as well or as early ), but with huge potential. Vader too wanted to use Luke, to help him overthrow the Emperor.

Even if Luke Skywalker was slightly less powerful than Anakin, he is still probably far more powerful that most force user's in the Galaxy.

7. Hoggsquattle

Hoggsquattle Jedi Master star 5

Feb 7, 2009
    No, Sidious was playing both sides and always intended the Separatists would lose so he was feeding them the intel that he needed to in order to fulfil his plan.

If the Jedi were as powerful as you are suggesting Sidious' schemes would not have worked and the Jedi would have over-run the Separatists very quickly and no amount of battle droids would be a problem, but this was not the case at all - the Jedi needed millions of Clones and even tun were struggling.

Lucas did far more than "indicate" - he outright showed us that Vader was in bits and his power seriously diminished. Again, if Force users are as powerful as you say, there is no way Vader should have been so diminished - why did he lose so much power because of physical injuries? And how did someone as powerful as Palpatine get taken out by a broken man like Anakin?

There is nothing stated in the movies that Luke is anywhere near as powerful as Anakin was or that Luke could take on someone of Yoda's strength. He beats down Vader in a fit of rage, but does last a moment against the Emperor and Anakin, in the busted up state he is, has to save him.

We won't actually know just how powerful Luke is until we see TFA, perhaps even Episode 8, IF any of those rumours are true that Luke might not have any action scenes at all. We will see what kind of man he had become, but the rest we may have to wait longer to find out,

8. IG Lancer

IG Lancer Jedi Knight star 3

Feb 8, 2015
    Well, at least Battlestar Galactica wasn't part of the same universe. You can't write a plot that hasn't been done by somebody else at some point in history, but you can avoid to repeat plots from the previous Star Wars movies.

9. Hoggsquattle

Feb 7, 2009

Not at all - there is plenty of original stories out there and loads more to come.

danmcken and darklordoftech like this.
  10. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    SW movies forever and ever!

11. IG Lancer

Feb 8, 2015
    Well, the original Star Wars movie (what is now called A New Hope) was considered a rip off of Flash Gordon once. It was a Space Opera, there was an evil Empire, rebels fighting against it, and there were a princess. And Flash Gordon itself could be considered a retelling of a million of previous stories about a hero and a group of rebels fighting an evil kingdom/empire, starting with Robin Hood.

Does anybody care? Nope.

The same would happen if they made a good story that started in a similar way to Battlestar Galactica. 99% of the viewers wouldn't notice at first, and even when told, many of the younger generations would say "Battlewhat?", and the rest would say "so what?".

Iron_lord likes this.
  12. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    This thread is truly a death zone for inflexibility and rigidness. I think this is quite possibly the one thread on the entire forum that is very closed to certain points of view or opinions.

13. Hoggsquattle

Feb 7, 2009
    Yeah, and the people also say is it a beat for beat remake of Hidden Fortress:rolleyes:

What you are describing isn't plot.

14. IG Lancer

Feb 8, 2015
    Taking into account that my point was that most people wouldn't care if the movie started with the Empire suddenly attacking the Republic after brokering a peace, like in Battlestar Galactica, how is that relevant?

15. danmcken

danmcken Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 7, 2003
    Instead of them rehashing all that hyperspace stuff from the PT and OT they should travel through Stardoors

16. Hoggsquattle

Feb 7, 2009

No, you are mixing me up with someone else about the is Battlestar Galactica thing.

The point I was discussing was your comment that there are no original plots, I said there was, you mentioned something about Flash Gordon and I said what you described was not actual "plot".

17. IG Lancer

Feb 8, 2015
    They actually exist in the EU. They are called Hypergates, and some of them may lead to cool places still inhabited by the Gree or the Rakata.

18. star wars geek

star wars geek Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 20, 2014
    So just rehash the start of Empire Strikes Back in TFA? That's what's going to happen. The Empire is back in control - to some extent - at the start of TFA. Every rumor has confirmed this. The leaked text crawl (could be fake, of course!) mentioned:

There's nothing original about the Empire still the main power in the SW universe. Perhaps it's time to do something DIFFERENT with the franchise, not just go back to 1977 - 1983 type Star Wars! And why is peace such a preposterous concept?

You could start the trilogy with peace in the galaxy and then, say, 10 minutes into the storyline, the NEW Empire appear, they launch a sneak attack with brand new ships. And as I mentioned, a sneak attack on the Rebel Alliance's main weapons facility would be an interesting way to shift the balance of power. The Alliance has a huge weapons base on a planet or moon. It is the location of the Alliance's main space weapon - a weapon that hasn't been used because peace replaced war. The Alliance become complacent, they never expected the Empire to return and take out the base!

Something like this might have been an interesting way to start Ep 7. This is not a regular sequel - it's a delayed sequel. A heck of lot of changes could have happened between episodes 6 and 7. Abrams and Kasdan automatically assuming the Empire is still around, still a major power - that seems naive to me or even a lazy way to start ep 7. I'm not saying the start of ep 7 will be bad but perhaps the 32 years gap was sufficient time for Lucasfilm to say "we're making episode 7 but we're not using the old ships, the old Stormtroopers. It's time to move on. We're going to bring back the Empire but it's going to be radically different. All new soldiers, new ships, weapons. And we're not going to stop there. In episode 7 the Empire has fallen out with the Sith. The Sith are now the enemy of the Empire. The new Empire will not take orders from anyone."

You could have the start of episode 7 with the brand new Imperial troopers attacking a Sith base. They capture a Sith Lord or Sith apprentice. That would be a major twist!

Can anyone, hand on heart, read all the rumors and say there is anything that feels radically different, a game changer moment? I'm not sure I can. I may be wrong, perhaps the trailer will introduce some exciting new/different concept into the SW universe. The teaser trailer doesn't!

19. DarthLightlyBruise

Feb 11, 2015
    Not quite. At the start of ESB, the Empire still controls the most of the galaxy, minus some uninhabited worlds like Hoth, Degobah, Yavin, and a few systems picked up after ANH. My guess is that the Rebellion/ Republic has far more star systems behind them in TFA, and is essentially on par with the Empire. Hence, the Cold War-esque situation.

20. star wars geek

star wars geek Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 20, 2014
    Put it another way...

Would fans like to see a new revamped Empire? Scrap all of the old look, introduce new ships, land craft, droids, troopers. The whole thing. Also - make the Empire blaming the Sith for their downfall. The Empire have put out a bounty on the capture of new Sith. It's been reported the Sith Order has returned. The Sith are the enemy of the New Empire!

There you go, a nice twist and would make episode 7 feel a bit more fresh. Kylo Ren - an outlawed Sith Lord!

Admiral Vlardus:
    Game changer moment, perhaps. Ep 7 starts with change.

Edited.

I just found this post on another site:

Sort of similar to my suggestion although I wouldn't go with the Sith/Jedi teaming up.

21. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012
    Are you talking about your closeminded view of the Empire?

Of course not.

22. DarthLightlyBruise

Feb 11, 2015
    That's something I actually speculated about a while back when the tomb and lightsaber rumors first started. I thought it possible that Kylo Ren was a lone Sith wannabe that was looking for the key to this Sith tomb, and that both the Empire and the Rebellion might try to stop him/ get their hands on the key. Alas, that sounds like dead speculation.

But I agree that it would have been a very interesting way to go.

23. kubricklynch

kubricklynch Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 10, 2012

Yeah, like that Kevin Smith movie Tusk. Pretty sure no one has made movie about a guy being turned into a walrus before.

24. DarthLightlyBruise

Feb 11, 2015
    Line of the day. ^:)^

darklordoftech and kubricklynch like this.
  25. SLASHAXL

SLASHAXL Jedi Master star 2

Dec 25, 2005
    Regardless of the endgame that Darth Sidious had in mind, he still needed the Separatists to remain one step ahead of the Jedi and Clone army in order for him to keep gaining executive powers.

While the Separatist leadership remained Intact, they had the capacity to launch attacks all over the Galaxy. So the Jedi/Clones were forced into engaging in various battle's until they could find the Leadership and end the war. This spread the Jedi thin across the Galaxy, and encouraged the Senate to keep giving Chancellor Palpatine more and more executive powers to hopefully speed up the end of the war.

The Dark lord of the Sith Darth Sidious had clouded the Jedi's vision and ability to see through the force, without him the Separatists would have been crushed before the war had begun. So with the Sith extinct by the time of TFA, The Rebel Alliance should have had an edge with the only remaining Jedi on their side.

This war was a trap set by the Sith, to eliminate the Jedi Order and give the Sith control of the Galaxy. Without Sith Involvement, the Jedi would not have been defeated. Likewise if the Jedi had been fully eradicated, Luke Skywalker would never have been a Jedi and the Sith would never have been defeated.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.