main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Empire is NOT bad....

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith' started by MZEATCSH, May 19, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vikingjedi1

vikingjedi1 Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 5, 2001
    The Empire is evil. They murdered billions of people in order to rule the galaxy, and its wasn't for peace. Its all about power and the sith will do everything possible (including corrupting themselves) to achieve that goal.

2. MZEATCSH

MZEATCSH Jedi Youngling star 1

May 14, 2005
    Wow nice comeback...did u find that on the internet in you parents basement...all i am ssaying is that people are going to far with this post....i was kidding when i wrote it...but you stupid people cant seem to notice that...so why dont u shut the hell up before i hit you

3. ericferguson

ericferguson Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 10, 2004
    Is that what you do to people (your wife or girlfriend or is it your boyfriend perhaps?) when you don't agree with them?

4. MZEATCSH

MZEATCSH Jedi Youngling star 1

May 14, 2005
    nice one....NERDS!!!

5. ericferguson

Nov 10, 2004
    So much anger. . .
    What is it with someone, when they don't want to see discussion on something, but they keep coming back for more?
    And we are all nerds? What is your point? Yeah, I am a nerd and proud of it! And highly successful too!

6. Grand Admiral Wettengel

Grand Admiral Wettengel Jedi Youngling star 4

Jan 10, 2000
    We're stupid? You're the one flinging immature insults around and seem to think that the only way any of us can put a cohrent thought together is to plagarize it off of some website.

The comeback I fired at you was essentially a broadside from a battleship's 16-inch guns that promptly cause your little dinghy to sink. Too bad you're too much of a dull bulb to realize when you've been out-insulted.

One of the sad things about being an academic, when you insult someone who used such immaturity, they aren't going to comprehend the words you use. While worded politely, my insults are vastly more devestating.

Perhaps you should look at dictionary.com?

7. sithsarbad

sithsarbad Jedi Master star 4

Feb 2, 2003
    I thought you had to be over 13 to join these boards...

8. darthricekingreturns

darthricekingreturns Jedi Youngling star 1

May 17, 2005
    if you notice in transformers, the decepticons are the ones who keep peace and order.

anytime, the autobots are in-charge of cybertron, all hell breaks loose and the planet is either out of energon or about to fall back into civil war. completely mismanaged and bureaucratic with jackasstimus prime in-charge. this equates to star wars a lot, and even massachusetts.

9. ericferguson

Nov 10, 2004
    There is no way for these boards to document maturity unfortunately.

10. ericferguson

Nov 10, 2004
    lol darthricekingreturns!
    you will make a mighty politician one day!

11. Sauron_18

Sauron_18 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 1, 2005
    who cares if the thread was originally a stupid joke, it has become someting else, a serious thread about real life, we live in a world in which evil cannot show itself it lives hidden, and people cannot simply go saying things like Fidel Castro is bad or George Bush is good or if your a communist your evil, none of these things have anything remotley to do with me, so dont confuse my opinions as biased, here they are basically which is partly why I dont completely believe the empire is bad:

Hitler is made badder than he might have been, yes he killed and yes he destroyed but he also made some people very happy

Communist may be a good idea gone wrong but it is just as good or bad as capitalism, its just how people get used to stuff

George Bush is not a "freedom" fighter in an way, he invaded Iraq with unjust causes and has remained there as the power extending territory

There are many other things, if you disagree I dont care, Im just trying to make you accept it as plausible

12. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Actually they went there to arrest Palpatine in the name of the Republic Senate - which they are supposed to do (we are keepers of the peace). What Palpatine did is called 'resisting arrest', 'assault with a deadly weapon', 'murder'. Mace and the others were well within their rights to respond with deadly force.

Ah, yes, of course. It is tragic then that they have no legal authority by which to do this. They unlawfully mandated the role of the Senate and took authority into their own hands. In fact, His Imperial Majesty said it best himself. I'll quote the novel now.

[blockquote][b]Palpatine: Why, Master Windu. What a pleasant surprise.

Windu: Hardly a suprise, Chancellor. And it will be pleasant for neither of us.

Palpatine: I'm sorry? Master Fisto, hello. Master Kolar, greetings. I trust you are will. Master Tiin--I see your horn has regrown; I'm very glad. What brings four Jedi Masters to my office at this hour?

Windu: We know who you are. What you are. We are here to take you into custody.

Palpatine: I beg your pardon? What I am? When last I checked, I was Supreme Chancellor of the Republic you are sworn to serve. I hope I misunderstand what you mean by [i]custody[/i]. It smacks of treason.

Windu: You're under arrest.

Palpatine: Really, Master Windu, you cannot be serious. On what charge?

Windu: You're a Sith Lord!

Palpatine: Am I? Even if true, that's hardly a crime. My philosophical outlook is a personal matter. In fact--the last time I read the Constitution, anywway--we have very strict laws against this type of persecution. So I ask you again: what is my alleged crime? How do you expect to justify your mutiny before the Senate? Or do you intend to arrest the Senate as well?

Windu: We're not here to argue with you.

Palpatine: No, you're here to imprison me without trial. Without even the pretense of legality. So this is the plan, at last: the Jedi are taking over the Republic.

Windu: Come with us. Now.[/b][/blockquote]

[hr]

Et Cetera.

They have no warrant. They have no mandate. They don't even have a legitimate reason for arrest--especially of a high official. They're vigilantes.

And clearly they were [i]not[/i] acting in the name of the Senate or even in its interests, because this recording was played before the Senate--which agreed with Palpatine that the Jedi had broken the law and committed an unspeakable act of treason.

13. vikingjedi1

Nov 5, 2001
    Sidious had corrupted everything and had full control. There was no way at that point to bring him to justice through the law because the law no longer existed.

If Mace had killed the Emperor billions of lives would have been saved. Instead Anakin interfered and helped the Emperor murder Mace. Think of all of the people who died when Alderan was destroyed. That could have been prevented.

14. BlutEngel

BlutEngel Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 9, 2005
    I never figured out the moment when Anakin turned...It could have been when Mace was killed but I wasn't convinced of that at that particular moment.

I never found Anakin evil even after joining Sidious. Well. In a way yes. Killing the Neimoidians and child Jedis was harsh. But beside that he just didn't come off as evil in any way.

I just didn't sense anything sinister.

15. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Sidious had corrupted everything and had full control. There was no way at that point to bring him to justice through the law because the law no longer existed.

Fantastic. Vigilante action is fundamentally against the tenants of any legal system. Don't blame the confidence of the Republic in the person of Palpatine on corruption.

Justice and law are synonymous. Otherwise, it's just a petty act. Skywalker himself repeatedly explained the Jedi were breaking their own Jedi Code at every turn--and murder is one element of that. Subverting the laws of the Republic was another.

There is no justification for the Jedi's conduct. This nihilistic and ethically irresponsible claim that the law no longer exists is ridiculous. It makes one wonder who truly is the evil in the galaxy.

Is it the Galactic Emperor, who follows the letter of the law and the Will of the People? Or is it the Jedi, who repeatedly take the law into their own hands for their own view of the "greater good"?

Where were the Jedi when they were able to free slaves on Tatooine? It wasn't in their interest, so they did not bother. Yet when they see their influence on the Republic threatened by one of opposite religious views (a religion which the Jedi have no qualms about eradicating every last member of. What of the ancient Sith Purge a millennium ago?), they immediately act.

If Mace had killed the Emperor billions of lives would have been saved. Instead Anakin interfered and helped the Emperor murder Mace. Think of all of the people who died when Alderan was destroyed. That could have been prevented.

The ends do not justify the means. If the Republic had bombarded Geonosis from orbit, the CIS leadership would have all died and billions of lives would have been saved since there would be no Clone Wars. They did not. Why? Doing so would constitute the murder of a civilian and a war crime.

Yet Mace Windu, the amoral Jedi vigilante, can execute Palpatine and then decide that it was moral because he said so?

And the Emperor murdered Mace Windu? Last I checked, the definition of murder was the intentional killing of another being with malice aforethought without self-defense. Clearly, Palpatine was simply defending himself from an assassin. If you're going to use a very loaded legal term, use it properly, sir.

Finally, was Palpatine on the Death Star? Did he give the order to fire? Before you suggest he would have or that he's responsible because he created the Death Star, I'll direct your attention to the Star Wars: Episode IV A New Hope radio drama. In it, we learn quite clearly that the Galactic Emperor would have opposed the destruction of a Core world and that Lord Vader himself demanded that Grand Moff Tarkin speak to Palpatine before following through on his action. Tarkin paid Lord Vader no heed.

Now, I ask you this. Who truly would have done the galaxy better? The Jedi who murder the Supreme Chancellor and throw away the only chance of ending the war? The Jedi who plunge the Republic into doom? It was very well noted in ROTS's novel that the Galactic Republic could not survive without Palpatine's leadership.

Or is Palpatine the villain? Is his meritocratic system worse than the sentorial republic dominated by business interests and Core world aristocrats? One that allows gangsters to run entire planets and the rich and powerful to corrupt political processes? Did you forget that the Galactic Empire brought law and order to Tatooine? Or ensured that the Senate would never place politics over the rule of law?

Honestly, now.

16. vikingjedi1

Nov 5, 2001
    "Fantastic. Vigilante action is fundamentally against the tenants of any legal system."

There was no longer a legitimate legal system. Palpatine corrupted it and used the darkside to have full control over it.

Put it like this, Palpatine was the lawyer, judge, and jury. The law no longer existed.

He had so much control that when he was announcing that the Jedi would be hunted down and destroyed the entire crowd was so brainwashed they were cheering.

How do you bring the Emperor to justice through the law when law no longer exists? The answer is you can't. Thats what Mace was trying to explain to Anakin. But Anakin was too consumed by his fear of losing Padme' that he put her welfare ahead of the lives of the people in the galaxy.

17. neutralsideforce

neutralsideforce Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 16, 2005
    ESB is a GOOD movie.

18. Grand Admiral Wettengel

Grand Admiral Wettengel Jedi Youngling star 4

Jan 10, 2000
    Does it need to be pointed out that there are only 2 sith Lords? It isn't like there are thousands of them and Palpatine managed to ensure that all of his like-minded flunkies got elected to the Senate.

And Palpatine doesn't control the Senate. If he does, why is Bail Oegana against him? Why does the Senate need to be disbanded in ANH if they're his lapdogs? They need to be disbanded because they aren't his lapdogs and he's grown tired of that.

In Palpatine's office, when anakin comes in, he's watching two Sith Lords trying to kill each other. Anakin was the only real Jedi in the PT era and in the OT up to RotJ when his son becomes a Jedi Knight.

The Jedi return because of Luke; not Vader. Vader's sacrifice was done to save his son's life; nothing more.

Anakin is more of a Jedi then Yoda. anakin should have been the only Jedi Master on the Council and Yoda et. al. should have been demoted to Padawans.

19. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    There was no longer a legitimate legal system. Palpatine corrupted it and used the darkside to have full control over it.

Post Proof or Retract. Either demonstrate sufficiently that the Republic Judiciary was dissolved or permanently reduced--or even taken over by the Dark Side (a rather pathetic and bogeyman suggestion) using direct evidence from the films, or even EU for that matter.

I'll be waiting. You do, after all, sound very confident with your flatly stated assertions--so you must have mounds of proof, yes?

Put it like this, Palpatine was the lawyer, judge, and jury. The law no longer existed.

He had so much control that when he was announcing that the Jedi would be hunted down and destroyed the entire crowd was so brainwashed they were cheering.

Or perhaps it was because he was popular? Did you miss the whole bit about liberty and thunderous applause? Are the parallels to previous autocracies suddenly gone?

Was Adolf Hitler a sorceror who brainwashed all of Germany?

Or perhaps people genuinely believed in him. The Senate did, after all, vote him massive powers--and if he was brainwashing them, the Jedi are not so criminally incompetent so as to not notice that. Furthermore, supplementary EU material and the ROTS novel itself shows us that you are entirely wrong.

Palpatine was popular, and the entire Republic knew it. It is not possible to have mental control over an entire galaxy, no matter how much you insist on using that as a scapegoat to further your ridiculous premise.

How do you bring the Emperor to justice through the law when law no longer exists? The answer is you can't. Thats what Mace was trying to explain to Anakin. But Anakin was too consumed by his fear of losing Padme' that he put her welfare ahead of the lives of the people in the galaxy.

Mace was too concerned over his bloody Jedi to consider the law and order he was supposed to uphold. Recall that Mace Windu never once mentioned a thing about the Republic or the people--he merely talked about how Palpatine was a threat to the Jedi.

A bit self-serving, isn't it? Some Jedi he was.

Palpatine was right in the Opera. Very much so.

20. FurryFriend

FurryFriend Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 14, 2005
    >>>There was no longer a legitimate legal system. Palpatine corrupted it and used the darkside to have full control over it.

>>>Put it like this, Palpatine was the lawyer, judge, and jury. The law no longer existed.

Of course Windu would say that. He needed to convince Anakin not to join Palpatine. Whether a legal system is "fair" depends on what side of the law you're on.

The fact is, Windu did not have authorization to act against Palpatine. When he arrested Palpatine, Windu said he did so "in the name of the Republic". But the Republic, under a democratically elected Senate, gave Palpatine his chancellorship and even strenghtened this powers. If anyone can speak "in the name of the Republic", it should be the Senate.

Windu may be right if Palpatine attacked first. But I remember it were the Jedis who showed up at Palpatine's residence with lightsabres drawn first.

21. Pixel-Pusher

Pixel-Pusher Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 20, 2005
    But I remember it were the Jedis who showed up at Palpatine's residence with lightsabres drawn first.

Not only that, Windu acted on the hearsay of Anakin. No checks & balances there. What if Anakin was wrong, or made it up? Geez, talk about abusing power....Windu really messed up IMO.

Loved the scene though.

22. FurryFriend

FurryFriend Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 14, 2005
    >>>Not only that, Windu acted on the hearsay of Anakin. No checks & balances there. What if Anakin was wrong, or made it up? Geez, talk about abusing power....Windu really messed up IMO.

Not only that, but how does Windu know that the Senate wouldn't want a Sith Lord as its chancellor? Perhaps if you put it to a vote, the Senate wouldn't have mind. Heck, the Senate may have even thought a Sith Lord would do a better job governing.

Of course, the audience has both powers of hindsight and omnipresence and knows Palpatine is rotten to the core and sees his future evil designs for the Republic. But at that moment, Windu wasn't qualified to speak on behalf of the Republic. He was only speaking on behalf of the Jedi.

23. jedi_draco

jedi_draco Jedi Youngling

May 22, 2005
    exactly what i think the empire totally wipped out the jedi and that was not a good thing. some of US fellow jedi's are still here like me for one. I'm jedi knight draco, and i will cut down any sith or sith lord!

24. jedi_draco

jedi_draco Jedi Youngling

May 22, 2005
    yes exactly what I think Anakin was too full of himself to even consider the fact that Mace was right! but then again I don't think that all of the jedi were wipped out! how could that be i know that there was a number of jedi masters but all wipped out?....no can't be possible but anyways there are a # of US jedi out there I myself have sworn allegiance with the jedi.

25. cooker

cooker Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 8, 2004
    The Empire's not about peace, it's just about power. Sidious feeds on power and the domination of others. He was happy to manipulate the entire galaxy into a war that cost (presumably) millions of lives. Even if the Republic was a corrupt and bloated entity, trading it for a repressive and murderous form of fascism is a giant step backward.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.