main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Empire?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Darth-Seldon, May 18, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth-Seldon

Darth-Seldon Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 17, 2003
    When I think about an Empire I think about a long line of Emperors of different dynasties. The Empire is Star Wars is more of a dictatorship which rules over a galaxxy. Palpatine is the first and last Emperor and that does not seem like an Empire to me. It is more of a Facist rule. Hitler was not Emperor of Germany.

2. Jedi_Master201

Jedi_Master201 Jedi Knight star 5

May 5, 2001
    Well, the government was of an imperial form, so I guess it counts.

3. Darth-Seldon

Darth-Seldon Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 17, 2003
    What do you mean by of an Imperial form. it was also of a dictatorship Fascist form.

4. Jedi_Master201

Jedi_Master201 Jedi Knight star 5

May 5, 2001
    Yes, that's true. It was a fascist empire. ;)

5. NateTheGreat

NateTheGreat Jedi Youngling star 3

May 18, 2003
    Or maybe its a dynasty of Palpatine clones...

6. lorn_zahl

lorn_zahl Jedi Master star 4

Oct 19, 2002
    huh?

Yeop, Fascist Empire hits the spot.

But we just call it The Empire for short :)

7. Darth_Dagsy

Darth_Dagsy Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 2000
    I'm sure that Palpy intended it to be an Empire...with successors and all (probably Sith Apprentices).

It wasnt a part of his plan that the Rebels would turn his Empire into a one-generation Dictatorship.

8. Aunecah_Skywalker

Aunecah_Skywalker Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 25, 2002
    IMHO, the main point of an Empire is that we have a monarchy in which the King is the supreme ruler and (with exceptions) not bound by any kind of law or rule. Successive rulers are going to be sons (/daughters) from the same family as the Emperor. For a new ruler to appoint himself to throne, 1) The emperor would have to step down voluntarily, 2) The Emperor dies, or 3) The Emperor is killed. In case#3, we have either 1) Son becomes emperor, 2)The person who assassinated the Emperor (if he wasn?t the son) becomes the Emperor and we have (in effect) a regime change, or 3) The Empire collapses (SW style [face_mischief]).

Dictatorship, on the other hand, is talking about the tyrannical control of a single person for a (hopefully) short period of time (anywhere from 1 to 10 years).

Since the Empire has the characteristics of both a dictatorship and an Empire, I could say that you can call it either an Empire or a Dictator. I would probably go with the Empire because ?Emperor Palpatine? and ?Empire? sound much cooler than ?Dictator Palpatine? and ?Dictatorship.? ;)

(I?m NOT a medieval history major, but I?ve done quite an amount of reading on Chinese and other kingdoms, so that?s where I?m drawing these definitions from. :))

Aunecah

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.