main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit The Empire's future: the First Order, or the Fel Dynasty & Imperial Knights?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Ghost, Nov 23, 2016.

1. Darth Invictus

Darth Invictus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 8, 2016
    I thought we were discussing the Felpire va the FO as villains/anti heros not how the old empire would respond to the FO?

2. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    For me, I think it's important to not overthink the idea of the First Order as mindlessly evil psychopaths versus the Empire as well as the Felpire/Remnant being morally ambiguous.

For me, I think the First Order is doing a good job as a villain.

Better than the Legacy Sith Empire.

3. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

IDK why but Krayt's Sith always make me think they are emo's.

Charlemagne19 likes this.
  4. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    I have an ideal antagonist for STAR WARS and that is the Old Republic's Sith Empire. I think it makes a better antagonist than the First Order or the Sith Empire of Krayt or the Felpire or Remnant. Why? Because it's such a dang NUANCED enemy.

The Sith Empire is evil, truly.

HOWEVER, they're also a group you can understand people wanting to reform rather than destroy.

It has good people, bad people, EVIL people, and otherwise.

We need a First Order Lana Beniko, basically, is what I'm saying.

I'd also like to see the First Order and the Republic learn to be able to coexist....after the war criminals like Hux and Snoke are brought to heel.

5. jakobitis89

jakobitis89 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 27, 2015
    The First Order is pretty much a junta government, they carved themselves a little piece of the galaxy to rule absolutely and cut off pretty much all diplomatic ties with the rest of the galaxy whilst they build up their strength. It's notable that until they got their superweapon up and running they didn't really seem to be much of a threat to the galaxy in general, Leia's own forces were pretty much matching them - a fully mobilised and militarised Republic would have squished the entire First Order under it's thumb (hence the destruction of pretty much all the Republic's political leadership being the F.O.'s opening volley.)

If/when Snoke is disposed of, it's not hard to imagine the First Order completely breaking down in the same way the Empire did in Legends, but being so much smaller the destruction is likely to be complete (especially if the Resistance is in a position to take down the bigger players left standing.)

Iron_lord likes this.
  6. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    The Felpire would be amazing on screen though-alien and female storm troopers, the imperial Knights with their silver lightsaber. Marasiah...ahhh.

SpecForce Trooper likes this.
  7. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    We had female stormtroopers in TFA and probably in Rogue One, too.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

8. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    The First Order has plenty of diplomatic ties to the galaxy. The "public" First Order at least.

9. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Yeah I think it's clear there are two FOs here.

The public, maybe even civilian FO: ex-Imperials in civilized space.

The private, military FO: ultra-fascist diehards in the UR. The guys we see in the film.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

10. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    It's the Imperial Remnant and Hand of Thrawn thing, except the Hand of Thrawn parts is controlled by Snoke and he uses it to dominate the Remnant part. I think it's important to remember the "die hard fanatics" were probably assembled by Admiral Rax at the behest of Snoke, who is an Emperor Palpatine figure. Snoke is patient and subdued so the military policy of the First Order as well as economic is not based on ideology but whatever benefits his agenda.

11. jakobitis89

jakobitis89 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 27, 2015
    There's the First Order who signed the treaties and make nice with the Republic and keep things simmering over without boiling... who are covering for the First Order who are building a planet destroying galaxy spanning super weapon. Any negotiations are a time spinning exercise at best I think... which is where the First Order differ from the Remnant, who were actually sincere in trying to find a diplomatic solution if they could (well, some of them. Well, some of the time.)

12. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    I do find it interesting that the First Order actually tries to find cassus belli before attacking.

13. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    It didn't take from Bloodline to TFA to build Starkiller. They were already infiltrating and trying to take control of the NR before the Resistance was formed.

There is no effort to find a Cassus Belli.

They have zero intention of abiding by the Galactic Concordance.

They're not the victims in the narrative, not when it comes to the Resistance.

What Resistance aggression justified the destruction of Hosnian Prime?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vialco likes this.
  14. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    Starkiller Base, according to Ahsoka, had all of the mining efforts done to it on the planet Ilum (which occupies its same spot anyway) so it was already hollowed it. It's possible Starkiller Base wasn't constructed then but was originally an Imperial project. If so, it's possible that they actually held off from using it for a long time.

Hux states upfront the Resistance's activities being funded by the New Republic is the reason for the attack.

Now, it seems the Galactic Concordance was meant for the Empire and was imposed on the First Order.

Attempting to bring Luke Skywalker to join the Resistance, noted winner of conflicts and slayer of Empires.

I'm not saying the First Order is a bunch of do-gooders but I do note trying to cast them as mindless evil doers is probably a mistake.

15. FTeik

FTeik Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 7, 2000
    And Nazi-Germany started WorldWarII in retaliation to an attack by the Poles. [face_liarliar]

If the ordinary and not so ordinary members of the FO have been brainwashed to think they are the good guys, their leaders need a good justification for their commiting mundicide.

16. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    That would imply I'm trying to make the First Order into the good guys. I'm not. I like them as they are, a nuanced Sith Empire-esque bad guy where the Evil LeadershipTM has warped an entire culture.

Hux clearly has drunk the Jawa Juice so, really, only Snoke and Kylo Ren are people who haven't necessarily and they're Darksiders.

17. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Yes, just because the FO is delusional doesn't make them good.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

18. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    No, it does mean that they're not kicking puppies for puppies sake. It also means there's some interesting stories to potentially tell. Personally, I'd rather the First Order reform rather than be destroyed.

It was my favorite part of the Old Republic's political arcs.

19. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Hux takes tremendous glee from killing billions of innocents.

Phasma and Kylo order civilians shot.

Phasma orders laborers murdered.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

20. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    I'm thinking it's possible for Hux to have a TUF Nas Choka moment in 9. Perhaps after being temporarily a prisoner of General Leia and the Resistance in 8.

21. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    Hux also was appalled at the firing of the Starkiller at a system with non-military planets.

The villagers also shot back.

:)

22. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    Speaking of Marasiah if they ever made a Legacy movie who do you think should play her?

23. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014

But after they surrendered, they were slaughtered.

24. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    True, the Empire would never do that.

o_O

PCCViking likes this.
  25. SpecForce Trooper

SpecForce Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Jun 19, 2016
    The Fel Empire massacred the Jedi after they surrendered, IIRC.