main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The End is Near - (IT IS TIME!!!)

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Grimby , Oct 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. +

+ Jedi Master

Oct 10, 1999
    The message will only show up if javascript is enabled - as I have that turned off by default, there was no sign of any move message. After temporarily enabling java, was able to read it, but it's gone again after re-disabling.

2. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    Good point. That message really should be set up to display regardless of whether JavaScript is turned on or off. It's too important to leave out users who have disabled JavaScript.

3. Firefly

Firefly Jedi Youngling

Nov 16, 1999
    This probably isn't too big of a deal, but apparently you can't re-use a private email?

I haven't really posted in like a decade, so after logging in to my various accounts I've found that six or seven of them (like this one) are tied to old addresses that Yahoo disabled due to inactivity.

I suppose I could register a bunch of new throwaway addresses, but think I'm fine with just losing access to these secondary accounts.

4. ardavenport

ardavenport Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 16, 2004
    Hmmmmmmm, that is a possibility. [face_thinking]

So what does happen to some of those old socks that I created and don't want anymore and won't add a private e-mail address to? Will all the old users be deleted automatically? Or will the users have to actively get rid of them?

5. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    I've had luck inserting periods in GMail addresses, as their system recognizes them as one.

You could register one single GMail account, fireflyismoving@gmail.com, and use:

f.ireflyismoving@gmail.com
    fi.reflyismoving@gmail.com
    fir.eflyismoving@gmail.com
    fire.flyismoving@gmail.com

...and so on, in your multiple socks. Our boards software will consider them separate e-mail addresses, and GMail will consider them just one.

6. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    No offense, but if you don't have JavaScript enabled, you're missing out on a hell of a lot more of the internet than just the move announcement.

That said, I'll see what I can do.

7. +

+ Jedi Master

Oct 10, 1999
    Yeah, there's a lot that requires java to work. For message boards and news collectors, though, which is most of what I visit, there's not usually any need for scripts.

That said, I wasn't complaining - fully expect fewer features given how I browse - it was just a response as to why some may not see the message.

8. powerfulforce

powerfulforce Jedi Grand Master star 3

Mar 16, 2005
    Quick question how do I change my e-mail? The only thing I can get is notification and I really don't want to lose my account when the move occurs.

9. Jack1138

Jack1138 Jedi Master star 5

Jan 8, 2005
    I still say this 'move' will not happen for at least the next 6 months. Any wagers?

10. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Click on Options in the forum header. On the page that comes up choose Change Your User Details (User Profile) . You'll see fields for public and private email addresses. Don't forget to click on 'Update Details' at the bottom when you finish.

11. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    And the field that needs to be updated for this is the private e-mail address (not public), correct? Thanks.

12. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    guyz im wanderin wat i should update the private o rpublic

13. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    private

14. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002

Guess the Move Date -- win colors!!

15. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    I was simply confirming because some seem to be confused about this, and not all of the reminders that are up now say which e-mail address it is.

16. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Status update - our test board is now live for mods to play with the new buttons. Once we get some styling done hopefully we'll post screenshots. Right now it is 'out of the box' and not too thrilling. :p

17. EmpireForever

EmpireForever Force Ghost star 8

Mar 15, 2004
    Can we please get rid of this absurdly huge "announcement" at the top of the page?

18. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    It's just a one-liner for me with a 'click here' to expand it. Can you post a screenshot of what you're seeing and let us know what browser you are using?

19. EmpireForever

EmpireForever Force Ghost star 8

Mar 15, 2004
    [image=http://i.imgur.com/a8EY2.png]

There's a link that says [Close] a bit further down, but when I click on it nothing happens. I'm using Chrome. In any case, what is the point of this? Why not just have a link to the thread? This is wholly unnecessary.

20. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    I'll mention it in MS. Grimby did the coding so he'll have to take a look at it.

21. Nagai

Nagai Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 15, 2010
    Are we going to get bigger icons after the move?

22. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    I would venture a guess and say you are A) Blocking specific JavaScript or CSS files on the image server that load things like the drop down menus, or B) You haven't tried doing a hard refresh (i.e. just a regular refresh in Chrome) to get a fresh copy of the updated scripts.

The announcement exists to be slightly intrusive so as to make sure everyone who uses the boards notices it. The pulldown exists to make it painstakingly easy to get the pertinent info about the move. I would love to have coded this in a way that didn't require a cache refresh or a hiccup in the event people were manually blocking the image server, but the horrible conglomerate of inefficient coding that is the JC forum software wouldn't have it any other way.

23. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    You made this question last week.

24. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    What did I say the last time you asked?

25. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    Every time I load this site, I hold my breath in anticipation that I will be directed to a temp board.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.