main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The End is Near - (IT IS TIME!!!)

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Grimby , Oct 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    I know...

[face_laugh]

2. AaylaSecurOWNED

AaylaSecurOWNED Jedi Master star 6

May 19, 2005
    ugh *then. dumb edit times.

well... yes :p I guess I just wanted to gauge the likeliness of snags and problems with converting.

3. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    If we decided to convert the data IGN gives us from XenForo to vBulletin, we would not be doing the conversion ourselves. We would be hiring another company to do that for us. This would be a company that has experience with this exact type of conversion and would have a fast turnaround time (think hours, not days). So the only way I could see us running into unforseen technical issues is if there ends up being something proprietary or out of the ordinary that IGN adds to the database. Even then, it probably wouldn't mean a delay in converting the data, it would most likely just mean that a board feature may not be available when we first go live with the new board.

For example, IGN mentions in the Q&A I linked to in the OP that they are converting WULs into XenForo's Follows list. In vBulletin, it's called a Contacts list. Let's say when IGN gives us the database, the Follows list data is somehow in a slightly different format than it usually would be in XenForo. If that were to happen, we could probably still go live with the new board, but with Contacts lists disabled (or just blank) until we could properly import them into the system. Make sense?

1) We think so. There's going to come a point in time where this board ceases to function because IGN is moving everything over to XenForo. That's the point in time where we will be receiving our data from them. As we speak, IGN is using all their resources to convert their own forum data to XenForo. When they're ready to convert their forums, they're going to use the exact same scripts to convert ours as well.
    2) I would imagine about the same. Though maybe that's something to look into.
    3) Personally, I'd feel comfortable with either one as far as performance. Offtopic.com, a site with more than 5 times as many posts as us, uses vBulletin. As for XenForo, IGN's boards have more users and posts than we do (I don't have exact numbers), and they're planning to use it.

4. AaylaSecurOWNED

AaylaSecurOWNED Jedi Master star 6

May 19, 2005
    Ah ha. Then if cost of the conversion outsourcing is not an issue (thanks Papa Wise?) I'd vote for vBulletin, just because I'm more familiar with their system and we have the skins n' things ready to go.

5. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    If it's as close to the current board system as possible (aside from the obvious flaws) and we don't turn into, like, some 4chan-style imageboard or something, I don't care what we do.

6. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    go vbulletin.

7. ardavenport

ardavenport Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 16, 2004
    Whichever one facilitates the move best. Otherwise, I don't have much opinion on which is used.

8. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Agree, which is why I prefer vBulletin.

9. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    I would prefer vBulletin.

10. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    You can't stop the change, no more than you can stop the suns from setting. ;)

11. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Honestly, as long as it'c completely functional, I don't care what it looks like.

12. Humble_Jedi

Humble_Jedi Jedi Master star 4

Oct 14, 2004
    I have no opinion either way.

But does this mean the move is now definitely happening within a few months?

13. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    We don't have a choice. Once IGN move we don't have a home.

14. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    ;)

15. Humble_Jedi

Humble_Jedi Jedi Master star 4

Oct 14, 2004
    Damn - I've read that. :oops:

[face_laugh]

COFFEE!

16. DARTH_MU

DARTH_MU Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2005
    I anticipate that the IGN will refuse to export former Forum data.

JC: We will move from IGN.
    IGN: Pay us for the export.
    JC: No.
    IGN: No pay, no export.
    JC: You wouldn't dare. *You want to export our data for free*.
    IGN: HO HO HO HO HO. Your Jedi Mind Trick (TM) does not work on me. Jedi. TIBI JC TIBI JC. *Shuts off Forum system*

17. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    Are there any boards currently using XenForo that you've looked into? Are there any that have been customized that we can view? Because looking at the default Community board they have, I'm not quite sure what the software is capable of.

Since the design work and customizing has already been mostly done for Vbulletin, that would be my choice.

18. UK Sullustian

UK Sullustian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 18, 1998
    Don't lose the history of the JC - Preserve that before anything else.

(I.e. Don't Lucas it and add a huge NOOOOOOOO in the classic threads.)

UKS

19. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Personally I'm more comfortable with vBulletin. Being down a few days is a fine price to pay for the forums continuing to maintain the look and feel everyone's worked on so hard. It may seem like a stupid thing, but the look of the JC is something we're all so used to and that frankly is pretty different from most default board looks out there. I don't want to have some generic looking thing that's constantly being messed with for another year while people try to figure out how to use this new system.

-sj loves kevin spacey

20. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    if it's really only a day or two extra wait then it's a no brainer.

21. FlareStorm

FlareStorm Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 13, 2000
    I have the perfect pic for this, but it has the f-word in it.

22. Convor

Convor Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 25, 2011
    fantabulous?

23. Darth_Gamek

Darth_Gamek Jedi Master star 6

Aug 10, 2009
    Firetruck!!! [face_dancing]

24. DOMNUSKYWALKER

DOMNUSKYWALKER Jedi Master star 2

Aug 12, 2005
    It all sounds french to me. Not a computer person. I just want it to work.

25. Grand Admiral Strife

Grand Admiral Strife RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 21, 2001
    Any way we can 'forget' to migrate certain users? Just sayin'

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.