main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends The End of All Light (Post-NJO AU: Anakin Solo, Jacen, Jaina, L/M, H/L, many more) Updated 11/29/14!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by YodaKenobi, Apr 16, 2010.

1. JamesSkywalker

JamesSkywalker Jedi Master

Jun 8, 2011
    Any final notes on what you planned for the ending?

2. Lord_Onveh

Lord_Onveh Jedi Master star 1

Mar 10, 2009
    If a shadow blocks out the sun. . .There Will Be Light!
    If it stays until the sun is set. . .There Will Be Light!
    If the sun never shows its face again. . .There Will Be Light!

YodaKenobi. I have not forgotten.I know you will one day finish this. This will not be The End of All Light!

Anyway. Though seriously, I wanted to bump. There is a chance that maybe you thought interest dropped because of time. I post here to tell you that it has not.

YodaKenobi likes this.
  3. MartyAvidianus

MartyAvidianus Jedi Padawan star 3

May 14, 2017
    We need to know who Malig is.

YodaKenobi likes this.
  4. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Still hoping that YK is just writing every single chapter of the story and is going to release it all when complete.

YodaKenobi and JediMaster_Jen like this.
  5. JamesSkywalker

JamesSkywalker Jedi Master

Jun 8, 2011
    Is this officially dead?

6. JediMaster_Jen

JediMaster_Jen Force Ghost star 4

Jun 3, 2002
    Love these stories! Come back @YodaKenobi^:)^

YodaKenobi likes this.
  7. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    No response from the author in over two years...what do you think?

Your fanfic is dead. Accept it.

8. darth_treyvah

darth_treyvah Jedi Master star 3

Dec 26, 2005
    I can't speak for YodaKenobi, and I don't know if -- though I supremely hope -- that he backed up all of his stories in this series and his others onto his computer or elsewhere, but I will give you my take on this. His work here was excellent. I had been following it for ages: especially this saga. I too wanted to see how Darth Malig fit into the entire Skywalker legacy. I could tell there was a big pay-off about to happen, and I liked the build up and the description and the way that he incorporated lore and extrapolated from it to make his own. He basically took the original premise of what the Vong were to be, long-lost Sith before LucasFilm stepped in with the books of the now Legends Expanded Universe, and made his own interpretation: which was so darkly beautiful.

Can you imagine it? All that work he put into this and his other works. I know that feeling to an extent because I had two ongoing epics on this Board around 2011-2012: when the First Move happened. I've already gone into this at some length elsewhere, and I don't know if YodaKenobi himself confirmed whether or not he had his own stories backed up somewhere. But I didn't. I waited for the Board to be restarted many months, almost I think a year after it was said to come back.

And when it did, all of my stories were truncated. All of them, including the epics I never finished.

And never restored.

Suffice to say, I can more than imagine how infuriating and discouraging that must feel, especially if you don't have backups like I didn't. But even if that weren't an issue, after all of that, Darth Real Life happens and then Darth Momentum gets thrown down a Death Star shaft created with the best of intentions ... and then you just, move on.

That is my take on why YodaKenobi hasn't been back here in some time. Between having his stories truncated, the changes on the forums, and just Real Life always being present -- along with other creative endeavours that can take that momentum -- it can be inevitable. I know I hope he made a better decision than I had and saved his work, and didn't lose it. But I don't know him. I never did. I just read his work like everyone else here. I also wish he had posted them on another forum, or even Fanfic.net. A lot of what happened from the first Move is why I don't really write on here as much anymore and I wonder if it is something similar: especially when we just had this Move apparently and the old stories have still not been restored from their truncated state.

Either way, I miss this fic but I am also not holding my breath in seeing it come back. If it does, I will be more than happy to keep reading it. I mean, he even tried to continue it after the Move. So who knows. But all I am saying is I wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't and I can more than understand some of the reasons as to why he might not come back.

YodaKenobi, if you are here and reading this, I want to thank you for what you wrote. It was absolutely inspiring and I wish Star Wars had gone down your Dark Path. If only Destiny should have been as lucky as to be Dominated by it.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2017
    YodaKenobi likes this.
  9. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
  10. darth_treyvah

darth_treyvah Jedi Master star 3

Dec 26, 2005
    Force Smuggler likes this.
  11. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Don't mention it bud.

12. windu4

windu4 Jedi Master star 4

May 15, 2008
    I’ve been completing my biannual read of Yodakenobi’s fics and stang I wish he would finish this story. This is literally the definition of literary blue balls. This is so much more entertaining than what the new Star Wars movies have to offer and I sincerely hope that we are able to discover what happened in this story. Hell, I’d be fine with just a summary.

YodaKenobi likes this.
  13. Durroness

Durroness Jedi Grand Master star 1

Sep 4, 2002
    I did a substantial re-read a few months ago as well. The nostalgia gave it a strange new twist, but the quality holds even (or maybe especially) after all this time. I miss many aspects of the SW community around here circa the early/mid 2000's, but none more than the brilliant fanfiction that abounded, of which this was the pinnacle. Truly exceptional, even unfinished. Wherever Yobi is and what he's doing, I hope he still writes.

14. YodaKenobi

YodaKenobi Former TFN Books Staff star 6 VIP

May 27, 2003
    Thanks to everyone who posted on the last few pages for all the nice things you had to say and I also appreciate those of you who have sent me PMs over the last couple years regarding the future of this story. I apologize for the ridiculously long delay.

Not sure if any of you are still around for this, but I actually have some good news concerning this story:

I finally repaired all the chapters for this series and the NJO series that preceded it that got truncated when the boards moved, so it’s actually readable here again if there is anyone around who is still interested in it. I also made some changes to chapters 50 and 51: Chapter 50 got rewritten a bit to make is sound more like Kyle Katarn in first person rather than an overly descriptive amateur writer and the excerpt from Malig’s journal that starts chapter 51 was expanded on. Those were the only edits made.

If anyone spots any markup code errors or anything, I’d appreciate it if you let me know. The old boards used to have a seizure when you went over a certain number of codes in a single post and start eating paragraphs (and replace them with three “***” for some reason) but the new boards appear to function more smoothly with these ultra-long 10,000+ word posts.

I also repaired the links between the stories so it should be easier for readers to jump from one to the other:

Revolution
    The Eighth Cortex
    The Living Force

The Empire of the Hand

The Age of Heroes
    Exodus
    The Lands of the Dead
    The End of All Light.

Also I’m working on finishing this story and plan to have the first of the last 22 chapters posted before the end of this month.

15. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Hip hip hooray! :D^:)^[face_dancing]:_|[:D][face_hypnotized][face_party][face_peace]
    Woohoo! Back in business folks!
    Time for a reread, me thinks.

YodaKenobi and Xammer like this.
  16. Rew

Rew Chosen One star 5

Dec 22, 2008
    *pulls cover off desk, coughs as dust flies everywhere, hoovers up the cobwebs from the chair and table surface, and takes a feather duster to the rest*

*goes to the attic upstairs and retrieves beta hat, puts it on* Hey, it still fits!

*cracks knuckles* I guess it's about to be time to edit some new chapters for this bad boy. :cool:

17. Xammer

Xammer Jedi Master star 3

Jan 31, 2009
    YEEEY!!!!

You may also find these fics on Dropbox, I just updated The End of All Light with the new edits.

YodaKenobi, Rew and Force Smuggler like this.
  18. Rew

Rew Chosen One star 5

Dec 22, 2008
    Tired: The Rise of Skywalker

Wired: The Rise of YodaKenobi

19. enzo90

enzo90 Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 28, 2016
    So cool this story is coming back! I must admit when I found this back in 2014 I only skimmed through because I knew the story was unfinished (and sometimes you gotta see if that unfinished cliffhanger is really worth it :p). Since this is starting up to some degree again, I’ll have to binge read my way through!:))

I also want to say thank you— your story has really helped with some of my fan fictions over these past few years; I never got the chance to read the original Thrawn series or LOTF series, a lot of what I gleaned came from wookieepedia and other fan fictions. Your portrayal of Jacen, Ben, Anakin and Tahiri, Luke and Mara, is just amazing! It really helped when drawing inspirations for my own interpretations of the characters. Hope you continue to write great things! :D

20. cthugha

cthugha Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 24, 2010
    Woo-hoo! [face_party]
    I knew it was worth it checking back here every few months!
    This is such great news -- and as someone constantly stuck on so many stories at once, I celebrate you for coming back to this all the more.
    I'm looking forward to the ride! :cool:

JediMaster_Jen, YodaKenobi and Xammer like this.
  21. Rew

Rew Chosen One star 5

Dec 22, 2008
    Nobody likes my posts in this thread. :p

YodaKenobi, Xammer and Zer0 like this.
  22. Xammer

Jan 31, 2009

Last edited: Oct 14, 2019
  23. Xammer

Jan 31, 2009
    Just finished a re-reading of The End of All Light and made a list of the main mysteries that remain:

• How did Malig originally find the Raithians? Did Plagueis already know about them? Also, the story of the contact between Malig and Sidious.
    • What does Malig actually want to do? What's the purpose of the Reckoner?
    • What is under Malig's mask and why would that information solve the whole plot immediately?

Feel free to add to this list if I missed something.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2019
    YodaKenobi likes this.
  24. JediMaster_Jen

JediMaster_Jen Force Ghost star 4

Jun 3, 2002
    Excellent news![face_dancing]

YodaKenobi likes this.
  25. windu4

windu4 Jedi Master star 4

May 15, 2008
    I'm glad to hear that! But I'll actually believe it when I see it :p.

This is quite literally the only fanfic I've seen that has such a bright candle burning for it over five years later. I honestly believe this is the most popular Star Wars fanfic on the web and could easily have replaced the Legends canon in the blink of an eye and have the same, if not better, quality than what we've actually gotten. I'm looking forward to rereading the series in anticipation of the continuation of the saga.

Vialco and YodaKenobi like this.