main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends The End of All Light (Post-NJO AU: Anakin Solo, Jacen, Jaina, L/M, H/L, many more) Updated 11/29/14!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by YodaKenobi, Apr 16, 2010.

1. Magnuskn

Magnuskn Jedi Master star 4

Jul 14, 2002
    Which in itself gets repetitive and tedious as hell... I'd prefer leveling through the same content again in comparison to that. ^^

Unless you get stuck with a bunch of them who are not really interesting. I recommend not taking the Jedi Consular as your first class. I did and it helped to create my rather unfavorable impression of the game.

2. Draconarius

Draconarius Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 27, 2005
    Stay well clear of the Smuggler, too. It did the exact same thing to me.

3. Magnuskn

Jul 14, 2002
    Jedi Knight looks pretty decent, though. For Empire, I think the Bounty Hunter gets the best of the bunch.

*edit* I'm talking about the companions... story-wise, the Imperial Agent and the Jedi Knight both look good. Although not as good as the story of Mass Effect 1+2 and DA:eek:.

4. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    You said to come back Friday. It's past Friday and there's no new chapter. :(

I wasn't really going to take you at your word, still, usually your chapters are worth the wait. What can I do to speed up the next one? Perhaps one of those comments on one of the earlier fics that I wanted to make. I suppose this is as good a place as any to do it.

YodaKenobi, you are one of the most prominent fanfic writers on these boards, in the same league as Kidan and Thrawn McEwok. Perhaps superior, in the sense that you have a single continuity with many novel-length fics. In addition, you are the only one of these amazing authors who remains active to this day. That in itself is an amazing accomplishment, as many authors get writers block or RL interferes. So kudos for that. As I said, I've read all of your work, and there are many scenes that display your prowess.

One of these displays your ability to show and not tell. I am speaking of the relative power levels of the Jedi in your fic. In Lands of the Dead, you showed us that Kyp Durron is one of the strongest members of the NJO, but his power is eclipsed by Luke Skywalkers. We see this in Luke's duel against the three Kurol in the Conductor's Pyramids on Apollyon. On a planet suffused with the Dark side, missing a hand, Sith poison running through his veins and having been a captive for six months, Luke engages three of Faybol's brood and kills them all, single-handedly.

Whereas, later in the fic, still on Apollyon, Kyp, who has been free this entire time and has both hands, engages the three remaining Kurol and Faybol. While Luke held his own and prevailed under much more difficult circumstances, Kyp finds himself overwhelmed and barely manages to hold his own. Granted, Faybol is also there, so it's one more opponent than Luke faced, but I believe that Luke could have handled them all. Even when Valin intervenes, he and Kyp are still overmatched, and it's only the intervention of Tahiri with her newfound abilities that saves Valin and Kyp's lives.

That scene itself is quite powerful, as we see Tahiri lapsing into these strange comas for part of the novel, and at that point, we finally realize what they mean. it also shows us Tahiri's character development, as she wanted to kill an unconcious Kurol on Nar Shaddaa in Age of Heroes, but in the end, she opts to get rid of her power over Faybol because she realizes that to keep it is to stray into the Dark side. A nice character arc.

Well, I suppose we'll see the next chapter whenever you get around to it. I'm certain we'll see Luke holding his head in his hands before a small fire on his homeworld.

As for the Sidious and Malig duel, you're right, I think that a watery tunnel with numerous bloated corpses is a very interesting setting. I believe that I know which planet that's on, but I won't say anything for now. Hope the next chapter comes soon.

5. JStepp

JStepp Jedi Padawan star 2

Jun 10, 2011
    Yodakenobi loving your work! 1 bazillion times better than the profic. Did my PM go through? I'm not sure if i did it right or not/

6. YodaKenobi

YodaKenobi Former TFN Books Staff star 6 VIP

May 27, 2003
    FORCEBlLADE: Speaking of the Plaguis book, I hear it also clears up most issues that people have with midi-chlorions. Not sure if that should be hidden or not...

Yes, probably. Honestly, we can't really even discuss spoilers outside of designated spoiler threads in Lit until the spoiler period is over :p

As far as the SW films go, I believe I've stated before that I'm a bit more partial to the PT, even though I watched the OT first.

Not me. I've really started to sour on the PT and the OT looks better and better to me [face_thinking]

Magnuskn: It's how I felt. I've pretty much said my piece, so I don't think it'd be very useful to repeat them again, but if you care enough to look again at what I said, you'll see that beyond the initial shock and dislike for the where the story has taken us, one of my main problems was ( and is ) that I misread what kind of story you were writing for years. And, yep, that makes me feel somewhat betrayed, because you could have told me about that misconception at any time. You surely can't say that you didn't know which kind of story I thought you were writing? It's not as if I held back on lauding the more swashbuckling and condemning the darker parts during the last seven years, be it here or in PM's.

Yes, to be completely honest, I've suspected for a long time that you were going to hate this story and that Halo's destruction was probably going to be the breaking point for you. But to tell you ahead of time, "Hey, this story isn't for you" sounds so dismissive. I can't imagine telling anyone that. There are lots of things that from the outside I wouldn't think would be my thing, but I end up enjoying. I just started reading the Harry Potter books, for instance, and on paper I wouldn't think I'd like them much at all, but I'm absolutely loving them.

With that said, I did my best to make it clear what kind of story this series was going to be. I said there were going to be lots of character deaths. I even used the phrase "blood bath" at one point. Now maybe you missed that or maybe you thought I was just trying to ratchet up the tension. But I wasn't.

This is the sort of story where characters are going to die. I am not going to guarantee the survival of any character or a happy ending.

And you don't see the problem there? The degree by which you make things explicit changes the tone and kind of a story considerably. Not that this would make much more of a difference. As I said, I see the event itself ( destruction of 95% of the New Jedi Order ) as the breaking point for your universe, in the vein of the other events I talked about in other universes... although it seems that I am pretty much alone with this.

No, I don't see a big difference. Seems like splitting hairs to me.

JustinS: Going to buy the DP book solely off your rec YK, it's been a bit since I bought an EU book because the quality seemed to be going downhill.

I hope you like it then. It's definitely not a typical SW adventure, so don't go into it thinking it will be anything like the films [face_peace]

A couple more notes on TOR - the quests outside of your class quest do repeat if you level new toons but you can easily level up running instances (just once not grinding) pvp dailies once a day and space battles. So far I still love it and I've tried out quite a few classes. I'm also liking how the stories are intertwined for example on tattoine there is a quest sigh side to poison the sand peoples water supply, on the Jedi side you have to try to help them because their water supply was poisoned. Companions are tons of fun to, though I wish the approval system was fleshed out a bit more.

Cool. I'm glad you're liking it :D

Drac: Stay well clear of the Smuggler, too. It did the exact same thing to me.

That probably would have been my first choice :p

Magnuskn: Jedi Knight looks pretty decent, though.

This would have been my next choice though :D

7. Rew

Rew Chosen One star 5

Dec 22, 2008
    I like to think that this is the reason for your delay, that you've become so spellbound (rimshot) by the HP series that you've neglected your fanfic. ;)

By my count, you should up to, what, Order of the Phoenix by now? :p

8. Darth_Kiryan

Darth_Kiryan Jedi Master star 4

Mar 13, 2009
    Didn't think much of my HP books - coz i threw them all out!

9. YodaKenobi

May 27, 2003
    No, I got interrupted for a week after Sorcerer's Stone because Apocalypse showed up and I'm obligated to read that first ( :p ). I'm knee deep in Prisoner of Azkaban right now.

10. Darth_Kiryan

Darth_Kiryan Jedi Master star 4

Mar 13, 2009
    Just wondering Yobi, but are there any more updates where we learn more of Malig's past? Because i am curious if, (perhaps if you have read some of Darth Plagueis yet) if you will be struck by some inspiration from it at all.....

11. Magnuskn

Jul 14, 2002
    Mostly it's been the shift in your stories stories which I'd consider classic Star Wars to what you are writing now, which I'd say is Del Rey Star Wars.

That pretty much sums up what happened, yes.

And that's a Star Wars story I have no interest in following.

Well, if you can't see the difference, I fear trying to explain it would not do much good. [face_tired]

12. PirateofRohan

PirateofRohan Jedi Master star 3

Dec 11, 2009
    Eh, it's your opinion.
    Anyone else get a huge kick out of the Star Wars/Star Trek feud?

13. cthugha

cthugha Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 24, 2010
    I think something like half a year ago I said here that I didn't know which I was looking forward to more: the Darth Plagueis novel or the conclusion of this fic.

Well, now I've read Darth Plagueis.
    And I think it's great as a background novel for the PT, especially for TPM. I never really liked the PT, much less TPM, but I find that I can appreciate it a bit more now -- so for me DP did one of the two things that EU stories should do: it adds depth to the films and even manages to make sense of some of their more silly aspects.
    It didn't do the other thing, though: deliver a compelling story with a strong narrative drive and leaving me with a sense of closure at the end. I know that lots of people feel differently about that, but that's the feeling I was left with after reading it.

So now I have to say that I'm sure I'm going to enjoy the last act of this story even more than I enjoyed Darth Plagueis. Because when it comes to narrative drive and ingenious closure, I know you'll deliver. And when it comes to reveals, well, DP had some nice ones, but nothing nearly as stunning as those I expect are waiting for us towards the end of this fic. In fact, while reading DP I found I was actually less eager to know whether or not Plagueis created Anakin than I still am about the face behind Darth Malig's mask.

Also, my interest in the PT thus reawakened, I finally got around to reading the Matthew Stover novelization of ROTS that everyone keeps saying is the best SW novel ever. I loved it, because this one does both: it adds lots of layers of meaning to the story of the film, plus it tells the story in a fast-paced and utterly compelling way, making all the details fit together just perfectly. So now I finally have a benchmark to compare other EU works with -- and here I have to say that of everything Star Wars I've read over the years, your LOTS series comes closest.

Lastly, I wanted to say that I've been checking on this thread just about every day since the last post. I just know that someday it will so pay off :)

14. GrandMasterKatarn

GrandMasterKatarn Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 8, 2008
    Just popping in to see how things are. *looks around* It looks really dusty in here. Just sayin'...

15. Vialco

Mar 6, 2007
    Yeah so have I, every evening I take a quick glance hoping to see Updated. I'm starting to think it's a waste of time. Can I use my 30 Yobi points to summon the next post? Well, whenever it gets here, I know it'll be top quality like all of them are, I just wish it didn't take so long. [face_tired]

I guess I can say something else that might cheer others up. Kyle Katarn's team did not perish as Malig said. At least Kyle, Tesar, Jaden and Lowbacca survived. I know this because I have foreseen these three walking on a jungle planet carrying blaster rifles aimed at the canopy. This will happen in the future, and if those three survived, then I know that Alema, Kirana, and Necil survived as well.

Hope the next post comes soon, it's been almost two months.

16. anakin_sal-solo

anakin_sal-solo Jedi Master star 1

Mar 2, 2011
    i know this may be asking TOO much but could we please have another post before march 18 because that is the day i leave for basic and i dont know when the next time i will be on after that........ march 18 yobi plzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz [face_praying]

17. Praeses

Praeses Jedi Youngling

Oct 23, 2007
    I was just wondering if there was ever some point where Yoda or someone w/permission could upload a pdf version of Yoda's fics? I really did enjoy them, but I don't like clicking through pages of replies...

18. cthugha

cthugha Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 24, 2010
    Funny, I remember thinking about the same thing when I first came here... but then I found I actually enjoyed seeing the fics in progress, following them in their 'natural habitat' as it were, and in a way reliving the excitement of the people who read them before me. And I really admire Yobi's way of keeping in touch with his audience, answering each and every reply, dropping hints and commenting (or not) on theories... Even if I'm not the most regular commenter, reading Yobi's cascading replies always made me feel more valued as a fan than what you usually get with most fandoms.

19. Vialco

Mar 6, 2007
    Wow, V-day's come and gone and still no update. I seriously doubt that this fic will be finished in 2012. Will we ever get to see what's under Darth Malig's mask.[face_thinking]

20. Durroness

Durroness Jedi Grand Master star 1

Sep 4, 2002
    :( Yobi, we miss you.

21. JStepp

JStepp Jedi Padawan star 2

Jun 10, 2011
    Finally all caught up and now I am dying to know what happens next! This series has really helped me cope with a real down point in my life, this series captures the magic of star wars unlike the profic post NJO. I hope we see progress soon!

I must say I was really shocked to see Halo blow up. However I feel some are overreacting, Yodakenobi has been pretty explicit that anything can happen (which by itself makes it far superior too the predictable profic, where you know the Big Three are safe). I love books where anything can happen it makes me actually care about the characters more as opposed to formulaic books and series where you can pretty much guess where the story is going, LOTF for example.

22. canadianjedimama

canadianjedimama Jedi Knight star 4

Jan 28, 2008
    Hey...[face_blush]

I know right? Better late than never eh? [face_laugh]

I'm literally sitting here looking like this: :eek:

Because I've been paging madly through the updates in the last few days, as this story has picked up steam, I couldn't put it down. And then I read through the last post... and did this::_|

I won't say that I can't believe you did that, because I can. :p You have never been afraid to let the story take you where it must. Too frakkin' bad if I just had bloody heartfailure, that's where this epic needed to go, so thither* we went.

*sorry... I've been reading alot of Jane Austen recently.:rolleyes:

The last update in particular is heartbreakingly terrible. But also EPICALLY AWESOME. And I salute you sir![face_flag]

And now you have me hopelessly addicted to the next piece!!!! I need to know things!!!! NOW!!!

Please come back and post? [face_batting] Pretty please!!!

Missed you and this story for far too long,
    Cyn

PS... only getting to Harry Potter NOW???? Dood... what have you been doing?

23. YodaKenobi

May 27, 2003
    I am now writing the last couple paragraphs of Chapter 48, finally. Unfortunately, even if I get it all edited in an hour or two there probably isn't much of a point in posting it with the boards starting the move tomorrow. So you have my sincerest promise that it will be ready to go when the new forums come online, and also my apologies for taking so long. I was unhappy with some of the chapter and ended up doing some rewrites. I'm now very pleased with it and think it has the emotional punch I was looking for. I'm really sorry for the delay. I feel like the biggest jerk for missing anakin_sal-solo's[/i] window there (sorry, man! :( ) Thanks to everyone who has stuck with the story through these massive breaks [:D]

Phoenix: Just wondering Yobi, but are there any more updates where we learn more of Malig's past? Because i am curious if, (perhaps if you have read some of Darth Plagueis yet) if you will be struck by some inspiration from it at all.....

There will definitely be more updates with Malig's past, though it will be a few chapters before we return to that. We've only just scratched the surface of his apprenticeship with Plagueis and obviously there is the looming confrontation with Sidious that has been hinted at. As for the Darth Plagueis book, I really enjoyed it, but there isn't anything in there that really had an impact on this story. I was delighted to see that Plagueis' stated goals were very similar to Malig's about what the Sith should be doing, but there really isn't anything going to be incorporated directly, even though I would love to slap a breathing apparatus on Plagueis :(

Rohan: Anyone else get a huge kick out of the Star Wars/Star Trek feud?

We all know that Star Wars rules. :cool:

cthugha: I think something like half a year ago I said here that I didn't know which I was looking forward to more: the Darth Plagueis novel or the conclusion of this fic.
    Well, now I've read Darth Plagueis.
    And I think it's great as a background novel for the PT, especially for TPM. I never really liked the PT, much less TPM, but I find that I can appreciate it a bit more now -- so for me DP did one of the two things that EU stories should do: it adds depth to the films and even manages to make sense of some of their more silly aspects.
    It didn't do the other thing, though: deliver a compelling story with a strong narrative drive and leaving me with a sense of closure at the end. I know that lots of people feel differently about that, but that's the feeling I was left with after reading it.

Yeah, I pretty much agree with you. Someday soon I'll get around to actually writing a review for this book on theforce.net. Maybe while the forums are down.

So now I have to say that I'm sure I'm going to enjoy the last act of this story even more than I enjoyed Darth Plagueis. Because when it comes to narrative drive and ingenious closure, I know you'll deliver.

[face_blush]

And when it comes to reveals, well, DP had some nice ones, but nothing nearly as stunning as those I expect are waiting for us towards the end of this fic. In fact, while reading DP I found I was actually less eager to know whether or not Plagueis created Anakin than I still am about the face behind Darth Malig's mask.

Wow, thanks. I really hope you won't be disappointed by the end. I've been going over the last bit of my outline lately adding a few things here and there and am very exciting to finally be in this phase of the story.

Also, my interest in the PT thus reawakened, I finally got around to reading the Matthew Stover novelization of ROTS that everyone keeps saying is the best SW novel ever. I loved it, because this one does both: it adds lots of layers of meaning to the story of the film, plus it tells the story in a fast-paced and utterly compelling way, making all the details fit together just perfectly.

I reread this last fall after rewatching all the movies when the blu rays came out and finding

24. Rew

Rew Chosen One star 5

Dec 22, 2008
    If it's any consolation, by the time sal-solo gets *back*, probably the entire story will likely be finished and he can read it all in one go! :D

[face_whistling]