main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST The end of the Cold War

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by DarthLightlyBruise, Feb 18, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    i think driver will bring intensity to the role of kylo ren. i haven't seen him in much other than inside Llewellyn Davis, and i haven't watched one episode of girls, but i was shown this clip from girls, and he gives good unhinged

WARNING: LANGUAGE

2. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    Hmmm, interesting theories.

While I'd prefer Star Wars politics to be completely kaput, a new, more dangerous styled Sith would be more interesting to me. As far as ending the Cold War, yes, that probably will happen.

How? That's the tricky part. IDK...

3. whostheBossk

whostheBossk Force Ghost star 4

Apr 16, 2002
    Lets keep in mind the trend these films can follow. With time frame post WWII plus 30 years we are looking into the Cold war era of the US. Vietnam was already explored upon with ROTJ and the lesser equipped Ewoks handing it to an almighty Empire (Lucas was enthralled on this subject).

I would really like to see this other faction develop under the leadership of the Sith or just those who follow darkside practices and their thirst for power leads the other powers to counter act. There will be an awakening on their ideals and practices while the light side will counter with the search for Luke and the Jedi way.

4. RC-2473

RC-2473 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 14, 2015

I think tfa will be more a reflection of the current state of the world than it will be historical events.

the first order= the star wars embodiment of every reactionary/ultraconservative/extremist group that exists right now (anywhere from a far-right political party to daesh :/ )
    the new republic= a flawed society that is well meaning but sometimes falls into the same traps as its predecessor (think modern post-soviet republics)
    the resistance= 'freedom fighters' who are in some ways the same as their enemies hence leia's super weapon (kind of like the syrian opposition)
    pirates/gangs= real world criminal underworld of course, possible war on drugs commentary but probably not gonna get that complex in star wars.

tfa will in some ways be a warning on what happens if this all goes hot.

whostheBossk likes this.
  5. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    Jeffrey was pretty ineffectual really. His ambitions were only based around the goings on in his Court. The personal benefits of being king without the larger responsibilities. He would have been a terrible conqueror.

Anyway I think the Story can handle a little more complexity than Good Guys vs Bad Guys. We can handle a third direction.

6. Nipuhanipera

Nipuhanipera Force Ghost star 5

May 25, 2014
    Around 1985-1989? :)

7. whostheBossk

whostheBossk Force Ghost star 4

Apr 16, 2002
    As far as time period goes? Most likely a mixture of the past 40yrs with current events and extremist taking center stage.

8. InterestingLurker

InterestingLurker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2011
    Both sides have their own super-weapons, yes? It's possible that both sides have different types of super-weapons at their disposal, thus bringing a bit more variety to the whole super-weapon aspect of the plot. No Death Star II here, but different weapons with their own abilities. It could also be happening at a large scale and accidents may be very much possible and may have even happened before the movie starts. There were a lot of accidents regarding nuclear weapons that almost did cause nuclear disasters. Many of these incidents have killed people. There's even a book about it:

[​IMG]

Very interesting read. It would be nice if they included this aspect of the real-life Cold War (and really, it's a problem that extends even up till now). By harboring huge weapons that could potentially wipe out entire planets and solar systems, they're having problems maintaining them and it's slowly killing them. It would be nice to see what happens when a weapon is accidentally activated in a civilian area and see how whatever side that's harboring that weapon (whether they be the Resistance or the The First Order) reacts.

9. redlightning

redlightning Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 1, 2014
    The Starkiller Base may simply not have been activated yet or is in it's infancy. It's too early for it to make a difference in the war. I think who possess the most Force users on the light or dark sides will make a difference in the war. There are about a dozen Knights of Ren and possibly the same number of Jedi trained by Luke who now have apprentices of their own as well. One wants to conquer the other as the Force is now truly in balance.

10. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    I don't think there's been a cold war.

Promo material says the First Order is about to reveal itself to the larger galaxy.

whostheBossk likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.