main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph The End of the World: The New Battlestar Galactica- Blood & Chrome

Discussion in 'Community' started by JediTrilobite, Sep 3, 2004.

1. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
    Bump. Next episode: TOMORROW NIGHT!

Also, the current webisode series is on iTunes for free.

2. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    10-11PM
    Sci Fi, TV-14

Preview
    Battlestar Galactica

"It's been 217 days since the last new Battlestar, so if you've been holding your breath to find out if Earth is really as ravaged as it looked in the cliff-hanger ? well, you've either passed out or died. Ken Tucker will review this season soon enough, but in the first of the final 10 episodes, Starbuck (Katee Sackhoff) gets a shock that threatens her already tenuous grip on her marbles, Laura (Mary McDonnell) questions her faith, Apollo (Jamie Bamber) and Dee (Kandyse McClure) try to date, and the final Cylon is still uncertain. If a show this riveting can't stay on the air, Earth deserves whatever it gets. ?Jeff Giles"

3. JediTrilobite

Nov 17, 1999
  4. Blue_Jedi33

Blue_Jedi33 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 12, 2003
    Ellen is the fifth? Nobody would have ever guessed that.

5. Drew_Atreides

Drew_Atreides Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 30, 2002
    What a frakkin' episode!

Of course, if Ellen is the fifth, then what the heck is Starbuck?

It is nice to have this show back.

6. corran2

corran2 Jedi Master star 4

May 16, 2006
    Frak! This has taken the top spot as my favorite episode of Battlestar Galactica! So much info, and still 9 episodes to go! Who would have suspected that Ellen is the fifth! That on top of Dualla shooting herself and Starbuck finding Starbuck, and that Earth was a Cylon colony. This episode took BSG to places it hadn't explored and it came out all the better!

7. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Yes, that's Battlestar Galactica: the feel-good show of the year!

Well, she died on Earth and was reborn, so clearly that makes her the thirteenth. :D

Edit: wow, I can't believe you guys have had one thread for this since the beginning.

8. Django211

Django211 Force Ghost star 4

Mar 6, 1999
    I think there's more to it than Ellen is the fifth. She died a while back and if she is the fifth it doesn't add much to the story. She hasn't been a major character in quite some time. However if its Duala, Starbuck or even someone else it would make for a better twist that's been building for some time. Twists are quite common in this show and I think there are a few more in store, My guess is that finally it will be revealed that humans arose from cylons.

9. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
  10. ImpKnight

ImpKnight Jedi Master star 3

Jun 16, 2008
    Then who built the Cylons? If you mean the humans of the twelve colonies arose from cylons, that could be true.

11. Drew_Atreides

Apr 30, 2002
    I keep hearing rumours that RDM plans on bringing in some version of the angelic characters from the original series...I'm beginning to get the feeling that what's gonna wind up happening is that humanity has actually evolved and will wind up being those characters, and that we are all, in fact, cylons.

12. JEDI-SOLO

JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost star 6

Feb 12, 2002
    I was so pissed off at Dualla offing herself. WTH?

13. Radical_Edward

Radical_Edward Jedi Youngling star 3

May 2, 2002
    Well, it is a dramatic start to what could have been a lack-luster season opener (half-season, I know, but it's been long enough that there could have been a full season stuck in the gap after the previous episode)

She also wasn't the most compelling character, and her scenes with Lee have been some of the weakest sequences, emotionally, dialogue-wise, and in terms of acting, of the entire series. It also allows for a renewed romantic interest with Starbuck since Sam is rediscovering his previous attachment(s) to Tory.

14. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    Fantastic episode.

So if the Cylons founded the 13th Colony.....doesn't that mean that the "humans" in BSG are Cylons too?

Moore & company have done such a great job writing this series, and turning viewer expectations upside down. We keep hearing about the Final Five Cylons, and dramatically 4 of them are revealed...and nothing else besides their identities. Who would have thought that, after they were "switched on", they wouldn't know anything?

Now we've got the Final Cylon revealed in the first episode of 4.5, and she's dead! Moore has talked about how he didn't want the show to just become about who the Final Cylon was; what's clear now is not WHO the Final Cylon was, but how they became reborn (and what it means for the others that the Final Cylon is currently dead).

15. Drew_Atreides

Apr 30, 2002
    Aaaah, but IS the final cylon dead?

The vibe i got from the episode was that after all the depression, and suicide, and attempted suicide.. The scruffiest, gruffest sonofagun on the show manages to end things with a ray of hope.... I felt it was implied that Tigh's wife must be ALIVE out there somewhere...know what i mean?

16. Fluke_Groundrunner

Fluke_Groundrunner Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 1, 2001
    I have been thinking that very thing would make for a good ending for a while now. My hunch was that they would realize they were all Cylons, which would bring an end to the conflict and they could live together on earth.

However, I'm not as high on this episode as most of you are. Something is missing and I think it is the conflict and threat of the Cylons. There really is no danger. I am thinking that the Ellen will be the leader of the other group of Cylons and that they will find the fleet. Then all hizzle will break lose.

I hope we don't get time travel with the Cylons going back in time top populate the 13th colony.

17. JediTrilobite

Nov 17, 1999
    I doubt that we'll see time travel.

A friend of mine suggested that Starbuck and Ellen might be connected.

18. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    ^Quite possible. Just seen the episode and... wow. The acting in this show is just the best. The scene between Adama and Tigh was great.

All this, and we haven't spent any time with Baltar yet. I'm dying to see what he's going to come up with - he's such a wild-card.

19. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    I expect we'll see the other Cylons swooping in within the next 2-3 episodes, but not for this one.

Keep in mind, the humans and the Cylons alike felt they had reached an understanding AND reached Earth in a brief period of time.

When Earth was shown to be a wasteland, the universal reaction was probably suicidal ideation.

They don't need the additional tension/conflict of the other Cylons right now, because the reality of the situation on Earth is bad enough.

20. ImpKnight

Jun 16, 2008
    Wow, it's going to get tense in the next episode. Damn you Gaeta! And...Hot Dog?[face_laugh]

21. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    10-11PM
    Sci-Fi

Battlestar Galactica
    A

"Now that Earth ? the long-sought homeland of Admiral Adama (Edward James Olmos) and the universe's surviving humans ? has proved to be a burned crisp, it's as though every major character has come unmoored emotionally, robot Cylons included. Mary McDonnell's President Laura Roslin, devastated by cancer and a shaken faith, says, ''I was wrong about everything.'' She and the admiral become closer, two souls clinging while everything is cast into doubt, including the law and order the two of them represent. Get ready for a big mutiny in space, as human hatred of the Cylons morphs more complexly into interspecies alliances and betrayals. Some are shocking, and yet, as drama, just right for anyone who's been following the show. ?Ken Tucker"

22. Drew_Atreides

Apr 30, 2002
    Wow...That episode was edge of your seat. Don't remember one THAT good since the PEGASUS arc...

That final scene...Frak ya!

23. Blue_Jedi33

Blue_Jedi33 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 12, 2003
    This episode was awesome, the firing squad, guns firing at the Admiral in the preview for next week, WOW, can't wait.

24. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah, that is definitely one of the best episodes in over a season and harkens back to the quality of mid-Season 2. Bravo!

25. ImpKnight

Jun 16, 2008
    Great episode. As for next week, I think there is some misleading editing with the gunshots.