main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph The End of the World: The New Battlestar Galactica- Blood & Chrome

Discussion in 'Community' started by JediTrilobite, Sep 3, 2004.

1. Lord_Riven

Lord_Riven Jedi Master star 4

Nov 13, 2001
    I agree, We need to get it soon in Australia

2. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
    Helo was the guy who stayed behind from the transport in the miniseries right?

Correct. Gateworld has some pictures of him, which confused me because I thought that he would have died on the world. It's interesting that the female pilot (can't remember her name) would go after him because she's a cylon.

3. MariahJade2

MariahJade2 Former Fan Fiction Archive Editor star 5 VIP

Mar 18, 2001
    How come we don't have it yet? :(

4. JediTrilobite

Nov 17, 1999
    No clue. The Brits already have it, I'm still awaiting summaries from people...

The Americans don't get it until January.

5. JediTrilobite

Nov 17, 1999
    Actually, the miniseries is airing tonight and tomorrow on Sky, and the show starts the 18th.

Interview with the guy who played Apollo: here

6. DarthArsenal6

DarthArsenal6 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 16, 2001

Cylons were orginaly Reptiles right ?

Lets hope they go back to that :D

7. Trell

Trell Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 11, 2002
    The robot Cylons were original workers for the reptilian race. They then got upity and killed all of the reptiles. They appeared in the middle of the original pilot. Then their whole planet blew up.

-P!-

8. JediTrilobite

Nov 17, 1999
    Cylons were orginaly Reptiles right ?

Lets hope they go back to that

In the original, they were sort of alien, sort of cyborg, or something like this. This time around, they're all machines, and I hope that they stick with that. It wouldn't really fit with what's already been established.

9. weezer

weezer Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 16, 2001
    TvShowsonDvd.com has the art work for the mini dvd release up on their web site.

Its coming out late Dec. to coincide with the start of the Sci-fi series. With a MSRP of $28 I'd guess it ends up being right around $20 retail.

10. JediTrilobite

Nov 17, 1999
    Holy Crap! That cover is outstanding! I'm definently picking this up the 28th!

11. JediTrilobite

Nov 17, 1999
    [image=http://207.234.209.30/savegord.com/news4/Galactica_2003.jpg]
    I don't know why I didn't post that up earlier...

12. JediTrilobite

Nov 17, 1999
    The official British page: Sky One

13. JediTrilobite

Nov 17, 1999
    Review for the series here. I don't think that this guy knows what he's talking about:

An Unimpressive Beginning For 'Galactica?

Author: Alan Stanley Blair
    Date: 10-19-2004
    Source: SyFy Portal
    The following review contains MAJOR SPOILERS of the first regular-season episode of "Battlestar Galactica."

First there was man, created in God?s image. Then man decided to play God, creating life in the form of mechanical servants -- the Cylons. But what happens when the servants choose to overthrow the masters?

If you were a fan of the original 1970s series or of the miniseries, I?m afraid you are going to be bitterly disappointed by the first installment of the newly re-invented "Battlestar Galactica," which not only reunites the complete (and grossly overcrowded) cast from the miniseries, but takes off exactly where the four-hour adventure left off, with the convoy of survivors heading into deep space looking for shelter.

But what could be worse than having no place to go and no home to return to? The Cylons are following the humans, seeking to annihilate them from existence once and for all.

The episode starts with some impressive special effects, as a rather large Cylon vessel attacks the Galactica convoy, forcing them to do yet another jump into faster than light travel to escape. The dogfight sequences are nothing more than lackluster action, and it?s too bad about the annoying camera angles which continually disrupt any possibility of becoming enthralled in the developing special conflict. To top it off, the scenes (included for no other reason than to make the viewer go ?oooh, look at those effects?) provide no real entertainment value. But that?s OK, because neither does the surrounding story, which all too quickly establishes what?s been going on since the end of the miniseries -? the convoy ?jumps? and is quickly found within half an hour by the Cylons, and is forced to jump again.

The cycle continues on and on, leaving everyone in the convoy without any sleep since the initial invasion. Everyone is tired, and people are dying.

The main focus of the episode seems to be devoted to setting up what?s going on in the lives of all the cast members who were introduced in the miniseries. And I mean all of them.

It does get very confusing to remember who everyone is, and what they do, since the majority of the characters aren?t on the screen for longer than two or three minutes at a time. There are a few appearances of the Cylons hunting Helo (Alonzo Oyarzun) back on Cobol. Again the special effects were impressive, and those scenes (which perhaps cumulated in five minutes of the episode) had more action than the rest of the episode.

In between the scenes of meaningless dialogue, there are a few interesting scenes with Dr. Gaius Baltar (James Callis), the scientist who was duped Number Six (Tricia Helfer). If you saw the miniseries, you?ll know that there was a human-looking Cylon who helped destroy the 12 colonies, and she is now in Baltar?s mind, co-existing with his body, influencing his judgments.

Some of the scenes are of a slightly sensual nature, although nothing approaching the level which was explored in the miniseries, but do prove to be the strongest scenes in the episode.

Apparently, there is a scientist who knows that Baltar betrayed the colonies to the Cylons, and is demanding to speak to President Roslin (Mary McDonnell) about the whole thing, putting Baltar -? and his new Cylon "roommate" -? in a bit of a pickle.

About halfway through the episode however, there was a twist -? a civilian transport ship (with a passenger manifest of more than 1,300 people) goes missing during a jump, only to return to the convoy controlled by the Cylons. Apollo (Jamie Bamber) and Starbuck (Katee Sackhoff) -- who finally get something to do -- are forced to destroy the ship before it can reach the convoy. You just know that decision is going to come back to haunt the two pilots in a later episode, which might actually be a worthwhile episode given the underused talents of Bamber.

Th

14. JediTrilobite

Nov 17, 1999
    YES!!! The Sci-Fi website has posted a quicktime preview of the series, which confirms that Helo is alive. In it, he's being stalked by two robots, and we see Six again on Caprica.

Battlestar Galactica Preview

I love the cinematography of this. It's also great to see those robots in action. Love how they flip the guns out.

15. DarthArsenal6

DarthArsenal6 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 16, 2001
    who is helo ?

16. JediTrilobite

Nov 17, 1999
    He was the guy with Boomer who sayed behind on Caprica, giving up his seat to Baltar.

17. biscuit-samhain

biscuit-samhain Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 21, 2004
    That preview was pretty cool. I'm glad to see that Richard Hatch has come aboard instead of fighting it. His character should be interesting.

Yay, the DVD is coming out in December! :)

18. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    That review is a little harsh. The first episode did feel very short, but it was dealing with a lot of characters. The main focus seemed to be on Baltar, who I thought was the most interesting character in the mini-series; his desperate weaselling to save his own life at the expense of others is a lot of fun to watch. He reminds me of Edmund in the first series of The Black Adder.

All the acting is good, the sets are solid, the effects up to par and the script seemed fine. It really did feel short though.

The starting credits confused me. They showed a lot of clips from this episode, kind of like a "This week on Battlestar Galactica...".

Anyway, I think that if you liked the mini you will find this of a similar quality.

19. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Nice preview clip- great choice too since that's the one plotline that most peaked my interest from the advanced reviews.

Also hadn't seen that longer Teaser trailer before, either.

20. JediTrilobite

Nov 17, 1999
    soitscometothis- can you post a review? That would be awesome.

I'm glad to hear that they've worked more on Baltar. His character is good, but not much like the one in the original, who was pretty self centered.

21. Lord_Riven

Lord_Riven Jedi Master star 4

Nov 13, 2001
    Can someone please post episode summaries??

22. JediTrilobite

Nov 17, 1999
    The one for the first episode has been posted at Skyone, entitled 33.

23. Mara

Mara Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 7, 1999
    I loved the first episode. They maintained the same kind of 'on the move' filming. Groovy SFX, nice ship's designs (the new Galactica design reminds me of SW's Dreadnaughts) and I especially like Starbuck.

I didn't get why (SPOILERS AHEAD)...

... the other Boomer goes and fetches Helo on the planet, pretending to be his friend Boomer. What's the point? Do they intend to brainwash the guy and use him or something? I mean, the human-like cylons are doing a pretty good job in hidding they're not humans. I'm curious about that.

24. JediTrilobite

Nov 17, 1999
    Interesting. I read that Boomer went after him, so it is another Boomer, not the one on Galactica?

25. Mara

Mara Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 7, 1999
    (spoilers for the first episode ahead)

It's impossible that it is the Boomer on BSG. She and the rest of the fleet are flying around trying to get rid of the Cylons. And I can't verify now, but I'm pretty sure she was in her ship during the time where the other Boomer goes 'rescue' Helo. At least I think so.