main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph The End of the World: The New Battlestar Galactica- Blood & Chrome

Discussion in 'Community' started by JediTrilobite, Sep 3, 2004.

1. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
    Interesting. I wonder what her motives are.

I have my own theories on this, although I have no idea how correct that they will be. The humans created the Cylons as their servants. The Cylons turned on them, as any robots will do with their creators. Now, the Cylons have made humans, or something very similar. These seem to have some pretty strong emotions, such as love, acceptance and religion. Is it too much of a stretch to think that these humanoid cylons might go and turn on their robotic creators in the end?

2. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    >>The Cylons turned on them, as any robots will do with their creators.<<

Yeah, I hate that robots do that. ;)

3. DarthArsenal6

DarthArsenal6 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 16, 2001
    Cylons will turn on them like any Robot will do on thier creators

That sentence alone does't make any sence :p

read Issac Asmov: I, Robot :D

or the rules of Robot

4. JediTrilobite

Nov 17, 1999
    I'm a big fan of Asimovs's. Love his Robot stories, but the Cylons weren't programmed with the three laws it seems.

I think what I meant to say is that the humanoid cylons might turn on their own creators, just as the robots did to theirs.

5. DarthArsenal6

Oct 16, 2001
    Thats what I eman

Cylons are not Robots
    simply because they do not follow the laws around

it

Like not harming a
    Obvisouly the Cylons did kiloling heck of humans therefore they are not Robots but Droids.

6. DS615

DS615 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 30, 2003
    Cylons are not Robots
    simply because they do not follow the laws around

it

He didn't invent the word, and there aren't any laws to be a robot. "you have the right to remain binary. Anything you output can and will be downloaded against you..."

Cylons are robots.

7. MariahJade2

MariahJade2 Former Fan Fiction Archive Editor star 5 VIP

Mar 18, 2001
    The Three Laws only apply to the Asimov universe.

8. JediTrilobite

Nov 17, 1999
    The Cylons are robots, unless you're talking about the original series. But as MJ2 said, the Three laws only apply in Asimov's books. Which is why we have this entire problem in the BSG universe, the Matrix and Terminator...

9. DarthArsenal6

Oct 16, 2001
    NO the three laws were also written by this
    Slovakian Scientist in the Sixties

Saying that a robot can not harm a human and is obeys human instruction.

( I forgot the third rule )

Thus A Cylon does not obey human instruction has harmed Humans, so therefore ceases to be a Robot, but a Machine with Intelligence.

Unless the law extends to AI
    eg. a robot can not harm an AI being and is obeys AI instruction then I will agree that Cylons are robots.
    But alais it doesn't.

10. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    ro·bot
    n.

A mechanical device that sometimes resembles a human and is capable of performing a variety of often complex human tasks on command or by being programmed in advance.
    A machine or device that operates automatically or by remote control.

11. JediTrilobite

Nov 17, 1999
    A robot doesn't have to follow any rules or things like that. They're mechanically created things. Heck, we have robots that build things like cars, but they have no programming that prevents them from killing someone...

12. JediTrilobite

Nov 17, 1999
    wOOt!

Episode 2: Water Summary:

LT. SHARON VALESII awakens in the Galactica tool room; she's wet, dishevelled and her hands are covered in mysterious red stains. Next to her is her duffel bag and as she sorts through her belongings, she comes across a small-but-deadly explosive. Confused and nervous, Sharon attempts to return the explosive to the small arms locker at the other end of the ship. When she arrives there, she makes a startling discovery: six more explosive devices are missing.

Crewman BOXEY accuses Sharon of acting strangely and she gets defensive, further fuelling his suspicions. He picks her locker, searching through her belongings.

The crew is preparing for the arrival of the Colonial One spaceship and PRESIDENT LAURA ROSLIN who will give the Galactica crew a pep talk. While prepping for the landing, CAPTAIN LEE ADAMA is still wracked with guilt over the decision to blow up the Olympic Vessel and haunted by waking nightmares of their screaming faces. Lee tries to talk to his father, COMMANDER WILLIAM ADAMA, about his feelings, but Adama tells him to "live with it." Lee realizes that he is a very different man than his father.

Upon Laura's arrival, Adama gives her a detailed explanation of the ship's plan for the day: to supply a civilian vessel with water that the Galactica keeps stored onboard. The vessel will temporarily dock with the Galactica until it is fully supplied with some of the precious water.

Sharon goes to CHIEF GALEN TYROL (with whom she is having an affair) and tells him about finding the explosive in her duffel bag and her inability to account for the events of the night before. She's terrified that everyone will think that she stole the weapons. Tyrol believes that she's being set up and vows to investigate the mystery.

A major explosion interrupts the water transfer from the Galactica to the civilian vessel: the lines rupture and water begins to spill out into space, lost forever. Sharon, Tyrol, and CRASHDOWN are sent out to investigate the explosion in small vessels called raptors.

During their investigation, Tyrol discovers evidence that a series of explosives were set off, destroying the water supply. Tyrol briefs Adama, Lee, Laura, DR. BALTAR, LIEUTENANT GAETA and Tigh on his findings that the water supply was sabotaged. Adama says out loud what everyone has been thinking all along: "there's a Cylon aboard Galactica." Laura says that they must keep everything secret; despite the rumours. Baltar, still haunted by hallucinations of his Cylon lover, NUMBER SIX, is assigned the duty of screening crew members to sniff out the spy. Privately, Tigh tells Lee that Sharon and Tyrol are having an affair.

Sharon is sent out to look a water supply. During her flight, she discovers that somehow she has another explosive device with her with no idea how it got there.

As they fly around, Sharon gets a signal that her Raptor has located a planet with water. But she lies about it, radioing that she's coming up empty. After a few minutes, though, Sharon seems to be struggling with her lie; she squirms in her seat and fights internally to overpower whatever possesses her. Finally, she alerts Galactica she's located a planet with water. The ships celebrate the discovery of new water. When Sharon lands, she tells Tyrol that there is another explosive on her ship and she doesn't know it got there. He'll cover for her.

Lee bonds with President Laura over his remaining guilt and unease about the explosion of the Olympic Vessel. In Laura he finds the support and confidence he has been looking for in his father; "kindred spirits."

Tyrol walks in on Boxey holding Sharon's red-stained towel. Boxey tells Tyrol doesn't know where he got the towel, but Tyrol knows that it's Sharon's towel.

End

Very very cool.

13. Lord_Riven

Lord_Riven Jedi Master star 4

Nov 13, 2001
    Thanks heaps

14. JediTrilobite

Nov 17, 1999
    No problem. It looks like Sharron (Boomer) is really struggling with her programming. I'll be interested to see how this pans out.

15. JediTrilobite

Nov 17, 1999
    Another Review:

?33?

Review by Robert Falconer, HNR Senior Editor

Earlier this year, SCI FI Channel?s reimagined Battlestar Galactica miniseries aired as an unqualified success, prompting the Network?in concert with Britain?s Sky One Channel?to commit to a 13 episode first season. To say that this version of Galactica is a departure from the original 1978 series that inspired it, is like saying that the current war in Iraq is a departure from traditional US foreign policy. The metaphor is apropos. Like the world around us?from which the new series gathers much of its grist?this version of Galactica is profoundly different, a fact that while perhaps inevitable, has also served as a point of contention amongst original series fans.

Now that the first episode has aired this week on Sky One in the UK, reviews are beginning to appear on the web. Here at HNR, we?re fortunate to be among the few in North America to get an advance look at the episodes. So how does episode one, ?33? stack up against the miniseries? Well, first we want to offer the caveat that if you?re at all allergic to spoilers and want to be surprised next January when the series airs in the US and Canada, stop reading right now.

Still reading? Fair enough.

After a genocidal attack upon their worlds by the robotic Cylons, a small band of human survivors (50,000) escape in a rag tag convoy of assorted spacecraft, led by the mighty warship, Galactica. When the miniseries ended, the human survivors had just escaped after a climactic battle in which the Galactica thwarted an attempt by the Cylons to finish off any remaining vestiges of fleeing humanity.

The first episode picks up directly where the miniseries left off. Nervous exhaustion is the operative theme in ?33.? As the story opens, our crew is suffering the effects of extreme fatigue. Somehow, the Cylons have been tracking the fleet since they made their escape, forcing all the ships to jump every 33 minutes to avoid destruction. After more than five days of this, the tension is palpable and emotions are running high. This is a literal ?ticking clock? story.

Baltar shows perhaps the most visible signs of stress and paradoxically seeks solace in the ?arms? of his virtual companion?the ravishing blonde bombshell and Cylon, Number Six, who interacts directly with his mind through a chip that was surreptitiously implanted in his brain. But it?s a mixed blessing: for while she offers ?physical? comfort, she torments him with philosophical rants about the fleet?s inevitable destruction, suggesting that he should save himself by ?repenting to God.?

The episode showcases some remarkably sophisticated, albeit brief, emotional moments?as when Apollo and Starbuck angrily lay into one another, then lapse into laughter at the absurdity of it all. Everyone is running on sheer adrenalin?and in the case of several of the Galactica crew, further propelled by stimulants or drugs. This offers a touch of irony, since Colonel Tigh hasn?t had a drink since the whole crisis began, prompting him to remark to Adama, ?Truth is, all this has me feeling more alive than I have in years,? to which Adama retorts, ?It?s good to see you without the cup in your hand.? Small moments like this humanize the dangerous predicament of the fleet and offer the promise of some complex character interactions for future episodes.

While it would be nice to see more of these moments, given the nature of the episode and the size of the ensemble, there isn?t time for more involved character exploration in this particular story. Instead, the point seems to be to reestablish the perilous situation in which the fleet finds itself. This is a pressure cooker, and the fight for survival, physical and emotional, are front and center.

The rest of the characters turn in painfully honest performances. For his part, Adama is gruff and weathered, but his years of training as a seasoned warrior keeps him focused. President Laura Roslin is quietly composed, but her facial expressions occasionally betray hints of stress. These

16. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    I'm not planning on commenting on every ep, other than to say whether I thought it was good or not, however...

Crewman BOXEY accuses Sharon of acting strangely and she gets defensive, further fuelling his suspicions. He picks her locker, searching through her belongings.

and

Tyrol walks in on Boxey holding Sharon's red-stained towel. Boxey tells Tyrol doesn't know where he got the towel, but Tyrol knows that it's Sharon's towel.

Where the hell did that come from? I've seen this episode twice and I don't remember this happening at all.

I know Boxey was a kid in the original '70's series, but I thought he was a kid in this one too, a refugee Boomer picked up from Caprica in the mini-series. And I don't think I've seen him since. Someone help me out here please.

Niether of these two scenes were in the episode I watched. Weird.

Anyway, good episode. Very tense, especialy as you come to care about poor Boomer. This looks to be a high quality series, both in writing and acting. Next episode features Richard Hatch, I believe. Should be interesting.

17. JediTrilobite

Nov 17, 1999
    Where the hell did that come from? I've seen this episode twice and I don't remember this happening at all.

I know Boxey was a kid in the original '70's series, but I thought he was a kid in this one too, a refugee Boomer picked up from Caprica in the mini-series. And I don't think I've seen him since. Someone help me out here please.

Niether of these two scenes were in the episode I watched. Weird.

Anyway, good episode. Very tense, especialy as you come to care about poor Boomer. This looks to be a high quality series, both in writing and acting. Next episode features Richard Hatch, I believe. Should be interesting.

The summaries that I got are from the Skyone site, so I don't know if they're talking about a cut scene or something else.
    Boxey is one of the kids who Boomer brought off Caprica, so if he hasn't been seen since, he might be in cut scenes.

18. JediTrilobite

Nov 17, 1999
    Gateworld.net now has images from every episode. Sadly, it doesn't look like there's any mention of the Pegasus storyline. Here

Also: Summary for the 3rd Episode, Bastille Day:

Episode 3: "Bastille Day"

The water shortage crisis continues to affect everyone. Colonel TIGH can no longer fight his need for alcohol to cope with his problems. He reports for duty to find encouraging news: TYROL and CALLY have found an ice moon with plenty of water beneath the surface. Tyrol estimates that they will need at least 1,000 men to drill for the water.

COMMANDER ADAMA and President LAURA ROSLIN discuss possibilities with LEE ADAMA and BILLY. Adama proposes that they draft a thousand prisoners from the jail ship the ASTRAL QUEEN to work on the ice moon. Laura is unsure, but Lee (now employed by Laura as a consultant) agrees with his father for once: the prisoners will, in all likelihood, be happy to get out of their cells. Laura insists they are given some credit for this work toward their eventual release.

Lee, Billy, Cally and DUALLA are sent to the Astral Queen to present the work offer to the prisoners. On board, they are shocked to learn that the prisoners are united behind one man: PETER ZAREK, a former, infamous freedom fighter with a violent reputation. 20 years ago, Zarek led the Sagittarius Uprising fighting for exploited workers. Zarek declines their offer.

Billy, Dually, Lee and Cally argue about Zarek. Though he was a freedom fighter, some see him as a terrorist as he was allegedly involved with bombings and willing to let some civilian casualties occur in the interest of his greater cause. But, they realize they have to negotiate through Zarek to get the prisoners to mine the water.

On Caprica, HELO and "SHARON" wander the city, obliviously watched from above by the Cylons: LEOBEN and NUMBER SIX.

As Lee meets with Peter Zarek in his cell, a prison guard named SEABORNE gives a signal that sets off a prisoner rebellion. Within a matter of moments, all the prisoners escape from their cells and take Lee, Cally, and Dualla and Billy hostage.

Adama confronts BALTAR - he asked the doctor to develop a Cylon detector many months ago and the doctor still hasn't shown him anything. Baltar is anxious about this questioning. Number Six shows up to manipulate the doctor into using Adam's request to try to secure a nuclear warhead. Adama tells Baltar he will get him the warhead.

In Zarek's cell, Zarek and Lee talk. Zarek contacts the Galactica and issues his demands: 1. the immediate resignation of President Laura Roslin, 2. free and open elections to choose a new leadership, and 3. a new government that represents all of the people.

Kara is appointed to lead a team of pilots on a rescue mission to shoot Zarek and free the hostages. She takes off with a blessing from Tigh, who usually dislikes Kara for her reckless nature and attitude.

Adama contacts Zarek to give him a final chance to give up. Zarek doesn't take it. Lee realizes that a violent shootout between the prisoners and the government is just what Zarek wants; it would be good for his cause of instituting a new government; the bloodbath will almost definitely claim one of Lee's men as casualties and that will look bad to everyone. Lee accuses Zarek of wanting to stay in the public eye after his notoriety has started to fade.

As Kara's team begins their invasion, chaos breaks out across the Astral Queen: a prisoner named MASON attacks Cally, but Lee pulls a gun and kills Mason. Lee then pulls his gun on Zarek. He tells him that if Zarek convinces the prisoners to help them mine the water, then Lee will see to it that the government holds a free election. Zarek agrees.

When he returns Gallactica, Adama and Laura question Lee's claim that they will hold an election. Lee says that, technically, Laura's term is about to run out anyways and he was just stating the truth - the government is due for another election.

Although Laura is angry in the meeting, privately she reveals

19. DarthArsenal6

Oct 16, 2001
    ^ JT its still early days

I'm sure they get down to the Pegasus story line sooner or later.
    They still have to bring back Dick Bennidict, as Ronald D Moore is extremly keen to get him.\
    He said he's having problem to cast him in, properly
    Perhaps he could play Star Bucks father.
    I remeber in the old series Star Buck had a father at one point.

btw
    I thought the Battlestar Galactica was going to Earth or have they changed this ?

20. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    What's the connection with Gateworld and the new BSG?

21. JediTrilobite

Nov 17, 1999
    They have a section on the site.

I think that Kobold IS Earth.

22. JediTrilobite

Nov 17, 1999
    I'm sure they get down to the Pegasus story line sooner or later.

They have only paid for 13 episodes, which may or may not be expanded to a full season. Given that they find earth, I would say that they're not going to, at least not yet. A second season might take the war to the cylons.

23. JediTrilobite

Nov 17, 1999
    One last thing, Quest- Gateworld has sections on their site for the following shows:

Stargate SG-1
    Stargate Atlantis
    Battlestar Galatica
    New Battlestar Galactica
    Star Trek:
    Enterprise
    Voyager
    DS9
    Next Generation
    Star Trek
    Smallville
    Andromeda
    Dead Zone
    Farscape
    Babylon 5:
    Main Series
    Crusade

Most of the focus of the site is SG-1/Atlantis, but they post summaries and things for the other areas.

24. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    JediTrilobite, I think you were right about the Boxey scenes being cut. The kid appears in the third episode, and it seems to imply that he is working in engineering/the flight-deck/whatever.

These episodes do feel a little trimmed. I guess that means extra stuff for the DVD's.

25. JediTrilobite

Nov 17, 1999
    Hopefully. Britian also has less commercial time I'm told, so I imagine that the same scenes will be cut in the US.