main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The End of the World: The New Battlestar Galactica (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by JediTrilobite, Jan 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Raven

Raven Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 5, 1998

As soon as Kara started punching in numbers, I think that we all knew what was coming. But when we saw the surface of the moon below...

2. Jedimarine

Jedimarine Force Ghost star 5

Feb 13, 2001
    But did she fly THROUGH the singularity?

3. Jedimarine

Feb 13, 2001
    Did I miss something? Why are they acting like the surviving Cylons will never find them?

4. Kimball_Kinnison

Kimball_Kinnison Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 28, 2001
    Because that last Raptor sort of nuked them into oblivion right before the Galactica jumped away.

Kimball Kinnison

5. Jedimarine

Feb 13, 2001
    But...that wasn't total...most of the colony ship was still there when Galactica jumped away from it.

What about other baseships, etc?

6. Kimball_Kinnison

Oct 28, 2001
    I thought that Galactica jumped before the missiles hit, not after.

Even then, when you consider how dangerous that region of space was, the odds of anyone surviving are between nil and zip.

Kimball Kinnison

7. Jedimarine

Feb 13, 2001
    Okay...it's over...and first off let me say it beat my expectations.

But you HAVE to give the cylons more credit than that! They act as though the dealt them the extinction blow.

I didn't get that impression. One raptor load of nukes took them out? why didn't this end a long time ago!

8. Jedimarine

Feb 13, 2001
    Anyone else notice that theme they kept reverberating over and over in the finale...not the "watchtower" one...It was super familiar and then I remembered it.

It sounds AMAZINGLY close to one of the main themes from "Alien".

9. Espaldapalabras

Espaldapalabras Jedi Master star 5

Aug 25, 2005
    The theme when they drove Galactica into the sun was the original BSG theme.

10. Jedimarine

Feb 13, 2001
    Why do I get the feeling that is where most of the "edited" content is to be found.

11. Jedimarine

Feb 13, 2001
    Yeah...that was a sweet little tribute...I think the whole ship montage there was a model for model replica of the credit sequence from the original show. Looked very nostalgic.

12. Raven

Oct 5, 1998
    I imagine that that was part of the reason why they ditched their ships. If a Cylon ship did come in to search the system, they wouldn't find any trace of humanity unless they actually landed. And even then, humans had a very, very small ecological footprint, and could very well go undetected. It might have been only luck - or God - that led Galactica people to human tribes so quickly.

And given more time, the rebel centurions would rebuild themselves. Perhaps hook up with the Cylons who blew up Earth-1. Who knows? There are a lot of sharks in the water.

13. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    So, yeah- wow. A ton of greatness, mired a few moments of stupidity. Still, a great finale.

The action was INCREDIBLE. We had Centurions marching in line with Colonial, Centurions vs Centurions, old-skool Centurions marching ina line while the new evil Centurions run balls-crazy like football players alongside them- and it was very clear what was happening except for the gun turret shots (could never tell if it was Galactica or Cylon guns firing/being destroyed). Raptors jumping from within Galactica was awesome.

BOOMER was killed as she deserved. "Can we please not tell her the plan?"

Tory got what was coming to her for killing my beloved Kali [face_devil]

The end of Galactica in general was quite excellent.

However... the whole "clean slate" thing is abso-fracking stupid. I don't care if they addressed it with a throwaway line- there's no way 38,000 people would agree to abandoning the rest of the fleet (the majority of which could land and at least function as a settlement or be scrapped for materials in building a new one) and the associated technologies. No way in hell.

Beyond that- I'm curious if there are two Earths or if Kara's jump-via-blackhole sent them back in time?

I did love the modern-day sequence though, with the Hendrix Watchtower song and and Moore's cameo- haha.

Now, as for the unaddressed stuff:

-Hera's purpose is never revealed (other than she dies young enough to be discovered as a small fossil)- that's very frustrating.

-When Razor came out they said the old-skool cylons were going to play a role in Season 4, which suggested something more important than combat cameos (as cool as those were)

-The head characters are Angels, ok, at least we know. Though the "you know he doesn't like to be called that" line leaves it open for some kind of connection to certain theories.

-Kara is another type of Angel, but whether she's the spirit of the dead one or an angel taking her form and memories after the non-angel one died is not specified.

-The Centurions going off by themselves... with the whole "all this has happened before and all this will happen again" cycle fears, that just seems kinda stupid while making sense at the same time...I dunno how to feel about that.

-There are still Cavil-alligned Cylons surviving out there too. The worldship wasn't completely destroyed, and there are Raiders and other forces not caught in the initial blastwave. And there are absolutely other Basestars out there.

So...it just strikes me that, if the new Siffy Channel wanted to boot Moore or pay him enough money, they could easily do a sequel series with all new characters (besides the three Angel characters) set in present day earth using descendants of Cavil-lons and Centuri-lons as allies and enemies- either of whom could potentially have resurrection technology recreated by that point in time.

14. Kimball_Kinnison

Oct 28, 2001
    Quick question: This thread is spoilers allowed. Do we really need to keep blacking everything out?
    Because before now, the "evil" cylons weren't sitting in the middle of the accretion disk of a singularity, with a very narrow jump window to come in and out without being torn apart.

If nothing else, the nuclear blasts would have disrupted the jump window, and made it impossible to safely escape the accretion disk.

Kimball Kinnison

15. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Blackout is optional, but, yeah, it is a spoiler thread so I suppose it's unneceesary at this point.

(btw- I watched it live, for those wondering ;) )

16. Jedimarine

Feb 13, 2001
    Fair enough.

And I've just been blacking out for the "concurrent play"...I know there are folks who won't be able to catch it until the next showing.

Hey, 2nd, I thought you were stuck waiting until tomorrow for this?

17. Raven

Oct 5, 1998
    It's completely revealed. She's Eve.

Everyone is descended from her. That image showing of a skeleton is not hers. Any images shown of human remains would be for flavor for the article, not to indicate that those remains are actually Hera's. See the article that wikipedia has on Mitochondrial Eve. We've not found the remains for the Mitochondrial Eve, and even if by miracle we did find them, we likely couldn't be certain that's what we found.

18. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    As I said- I watched it live. I have my TV setup so I can record Tivo through a cable box, but split the line through a digital converter that lets me watch TV through a secondary input on the Tv itself (bypassing the tivo and cable box).

I was going to avoid watching it that way initially because I wasn't sure if I wanted to watch the show without the ability to pause (in case some brief real life thing interrupted) or skip back (since some dialogue can occasionally be very hard to decipher on this show due to the accents and gravel voices and general sound mixing, and sometimes need 4 or 5 listens at a louder volume to figure out).

Thankfully it all went off without a hitch- though there was one audio blip towards the end when Baltar and Six were talking in the flashback, so I missed Baltar's second line of dialogue to her (the line that she responds to with "love?")

19. Raven

Oct 5, 1998
    To answer the spoiler question: at this point, no, you're not required to highlight spoilers. Any highlighting of spoilers is a voluntary courtesy.

20. Jedimarine

Feb 13, 2001
    Yeah...it is kind of strange that there is no protests...at least none presented here...perhaps the extra footage will reveal some. Guys like Romo I think might take issue.

As for Kara...Ghost, angel, reborn soul who is put back to work again by god....not sure...and more over, I think the reason they left it the way they did was because any one reason would fail.

What I want to know is what her mission to the first earth was...was she sent to scout for the 13th tribe and crashed there? Was she a combatant in the war that destroyed the 1st earth?

And as to the "2 Earths" yes, it's 2 earths...I said before that they never went out of their way to clearly establish that "earth" was our earth...there is NO doubt that the planet in the finale is our Earth.

21. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    Little disappointed. I was hoping for more of an explanation of the god and angel concepts. As it was, Kara's exit was hokey at best, and a pretty tired cliche at worst. Also don't know how thrilled I am with the "be careful of robots" ending. I think it goes back to the god explanation (or lack thereof). I thought the show deserved to go out on a more metaphysical note rather than the beware of technology warning that's already been done before with Blade Runner, Terminator, the Matrix, and yes, the beginning of Battlestar Galactica.

Whole thing felt a bit too safe for me.

22. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I didn't get that- besides, how is that possible since we have humanity spreading out and breeding/interbreeding around the planet, a decade before Hera was even capable of reproduction?

23. Jedimarine

Feb 13, 2001
    It wasn't a "warning".

This wasn't a "fight the machines" moment.

It was a statement of awareness...I actually kind of found it uplifting and clever...*we are close, people* is the message being sent, and it wasn't a warning about the pitfalls...it was an encouragement to the use the better side of ourselves in what is coming.

24. Jedimarine

Feb 13, 2001
    No telling that. Maybe they were wrong about Humans breeding with protohumans...or even Cylons with Protohumans.

Perhaps Hera's hybrid heritage is an essential means for procreation with the natives.

Perhaps a trait of the blending becomes the dominant trait that can be traced to her, and it's not there in any human/proto-human breeding.

25. jedi-jeff

jedi-jeff Jedi Grand Master star 3

Nov 2, 2000
    The very end reveals the importance of Hera. Only her decedents survived to populate the Earth and she is "Mitochondrial Eve". She must have successfully integrated into the local primitive human population and successfully mated. The other groups Colonials and Cylons died out.

Though this was a generally good episode, I had two major problems:

The whole idea that all 38,000 survivors would agree to unanimously abandon their ships and technology made no sense.

The whole "what is Kara Thrace" was not really explained. I guess she was some type of Angel from the "God" or "the Gods". Why does she disappear and where did she go?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.