main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The End of the World: The New Battlestar Galactica (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by JediTrilobite, Jan 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Asharak

Asharak Jedi Master star 4

Apr 23, 2003
    "It's hard to say when this movie should really be viewed at any point beyond an epilogue to the whole series"

Since you have to see s4 before the movie, but at the same time you have to have s1 and 2 fresh in your memory when you watch it, the movie seams created to be scene between s2 and 3 on your second time through the series. I wish the movie had focused on Anders and Cavil on Caprica in the s1 timeline. That way we would have had no need for the old footage.

2. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    My point was more that, on your first run through the series, you can't view The Plan until after Season 4. It's not like Razor where it easily fits in as an endcap to the Pegasus arc 3/4ths into Season 2 and can be viewed then without spoiling future seasons.

[image=http://www.pvponline.com/comics/pvp20091029.gif]

3. Obey Wann

Obey Wann Former RMFF CR & SW Region RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 14, 2000
    As much as I was looking forward to the Plan, it reminded me just how frustrated I was with the writers of this show. It had so much potential. "They had a plan." Suuuure they did. :rolleyes: [face_whistling]

So let me get this straight: The plan was scrubbed because the Cylons were incompetent machines, or because the writers never had a plan beyond Season 1? (in reality beyond the miniseries end?)

It was really disappointing to see that the much vaunted plan was "Nuke them and worship Cavil because he was right to kill humanity." When that failed, it was followed up by Cavil sending skin jobs to do sabotage in the fleet. Nothing about intentionally letting Galactica go as a method to find the Final 5, or Earth or anything like that.

I'm fairly disappointed --this had so much potential.

4. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    I don't have as much of a problem with it, but I come from a fairly different perspective, as I only started watching the show at the start of Season 3.In the end, I think the plan was as good as it could be given its format -- it wasn't going to be a self-contained story no matter what. Given that, I think they did a good job using the 2 Cavis and Anders to give it at least a thread running through the entire thing.

It does raise questions about the whole show, though, regarding how the overall plan of RDM for the show evolved over time, and what influenced those changes. First, did RDM have any plan at all where things were going, and how detailed? To the extent he had a plan, why did it change? Did SciFi network shorten the shows run, causing RDM to have to rush things?

5. Radical_Edward

Radical_Edward Jedi Youngling star 3

May 2, 2002
    It seemed like they really only wanted to tell one and a half (very) short stories, and not really bother to come up with real original plots or provide any great insight. They really limited themselves by only focusing on seasons 1 and 2, which accounts for nine months of a, what, four-year journey? They could have really gone into some of the interesting dynamics of what it was like for cylons on occupied Caprica, or what they were doing for that whole year where they lost the fleet. Maybe get some reactions about the destruction of the resurrection ship, or some of the processes and decision-making that went on behind the scenes (seeing the vote where they decided to end the war would have been nice, or what their reaction was when they detected the nuclear blast that led them to New Caprica) Even simple things, like what was the real deal with the Farm. Maybe even answer some questions, like what happened to Starbuck's ovaries?

While the half-hour or so of original story that they created was nice, I would have been more excited to learn a bit about the years leading up to the Cylon Civil War (hell, they could have really expanded on that war, and made it a big, awesome setpiece to finish with) Maybe they could have told us about their new "Plan", to desert the Colonies and settle on Earth. At least some minor details, like why did they go from an occupy-and-civilize back to the seek-and-exterminate mentality so soon after the Algae Planet.

It was nice that they answered some questions, though, like who the seven cylons in the fleet that Boomer mentioned were. Too bad they didn't really go anywhere with that, making one of them into Cavil's bedwarmer and the other ended up as a suicidal Simon (ha! Suicimon). All those non-sequintor clips really didn't enhance the story, though. The five minutes of gratuitous flashbacks of Kara and Leoben could have been easily replaced with Madame Gina telling Cavil that Leoben had been caught and airlocked. Those five minutes then could have been used for fleshing out someone's backstory, like how Leoben got caught in the first place.

6. Raven

Raven Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 5, 1998

A one word review of The Plan: Meh.

Of all the stories they could have told, this one wasn't one I found very interesting. The acting was fine, the special effects were fine, the directing was OK, the script was a snooze. This script is going to go down somewhere around Black Market in terms of worst BSG scripts IMO. Annoying.

I was kind of hoping for the story of what Athena did when she bailed on Helo and Kara after Kara tried to kill her. We'll probably never get that. Very annoying.

7. Espaldapalabras

Espaldapalabras Jedi Master star 5

Aug 25, 2005
    I have to agree that it was meh. It wasn't bad, but it was just odd that these were the stories they felt needed to be told.

8. melkor834

melkor834 Jedi Master star 3

Oct 24, 2009
    Bears, beets, Battlestar Galactica [face_peace]

9. Asharak

Asharak Jedi Master star 4

Apr 23, 2003
    "This script is going to go down somewhere around Black Market in terms of worst BSG scripts IMO."

How people can still consider "Black Market" to be a bad BSG episode after having seen "The Woman King", "A day in the life" and "Deadlock" is beyond me.

10. Kol_Skywalker

Kol_Skywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 9, 2006
    I actually wouldn't mind seeing a telemovie set post the finale of the series, how the fleet adapt to primitive life on prehistoric planet earth, how they cope without the technology, etc.

How they defend against the wildlife, lions, etc.

How Baltar cultivates tobacco, and how Tigh starts the first home brew! ;)

11. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Black Market remains notable since it was more or less the first bad episode of the series after two half-seasons and the fantastic Cain arc, and led to a a notable lull in the rest of the season before the finale with episodes like Scar. It was also sort of the beginning of the end for the type of show BSG was prior to post-New Caprica.

12. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    The Plan was pretty much a clip show with some nudity thrown in for good measure. Pretty anticlimactic. I would've rather seen something entirely new. They should've done something like focusing on a civilian ship and its crew over a limited time span during some point of the journey.

13. Leto II

Leto II Jedi Padawan star 6

Jan 23, 2000
  14. Koohii

Koohii Jedi Master star 5

May 30, 2003
    AT the risk of being accused of trolling, when does this show get "good"? So far, I'm on disk 2 and completely bored and detatched. Considering all the praise this show was getting, I expected a lot better. Does it mean sitting through more than the miniseries and first 4 episodes? (I.E. Is episode 5 or 6 where the series starts to be worthwhile?) Or, if I'm not interested by the end of episode 4, just give up and quit? So far, even DS9 was better than this.

15. hansen

hansen Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 25, 2003
    I can understand not liking the miniseries (don't agree with it though), but if you didn't like 33 (101) and Act of Contrition (104) the show is probably not for you. I'd want you try You Can't Go Home Again (105)as well, but if you're still not into it I would give up.

I would say those episodes I just mentioned is an accurate indication of how great the show can be. I don't think Water (102 )and Bastille Day (103) are bad, but they're not among my favorites.

16. Koohii

May 30, 2003
    Thanks. That's kinda what I thought, but figured it was best to check.
    Everyone kept telling me how great DS9 was so I tried it. Kept asking "when does it get good". Even skipping most of season 1 and 2, I was still waiting. Mulched through most of 3 before giving up. Wish I hadn't spent that long trying.
    So, thanks for saving me the time. I do sincerely appreciate it.

17. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah, the miniseries is slow, but if the first few episodes don't grab you it's definitely not a show for you- in fact, the first episode after the minseries, 33, is still probably the best episode of the series.

If you have the whole season, ou could also skip ahead to The Hand of God, which is another good episode and a little more actiony and old-skool than the rest of the series. If that doesn't catch ya then I'd say forgo the show.

18. Koohii

May 30, 2003
    was using netflix, so 1 disk at a time.

19. Obey Wann

Obey Wann Former RMFF CR & SW Region RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 14, 2000
    Personally, I would say that if you didn't like the miniseries and episode 33, don't watch the rest. IMHO, 33 was THE best episode of the whole show.

20. Jedi_Johnson

Jedi_Johnson Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 6, 2002
    33 was definitely the best episode. It was incredibly intense and a lot of fun to watch. It was one of those episodes that when I ended I couldn't believe it had been 40 minutes.

21. Leto II

Jan 23, 2000
  22. Leto II

Jan 23, 2000
    New box artwork/packaging for the Complete Series Blu-Ray/DVD sets coming out in April (from The Digital Bits):

[image=http://www.thedigitalbits.com/articles/miscgfx2/battlestarnew3dbrd.jpg] [image=http://www.thedigitalbits.com/articles/miscgfx2/battlestarnew3ddvd.jpg]

The only new material to be included in these sets is The Plan, which was left off of the last "complete series" box. So all the disc-based content is the same. There's just new packaging, no Cylon figure, and lower SRPs. Still no Face of the Enemy webisodes, but there was very little chance of ever getting those included, anyhow. Bought the first Blu-Ray box last summer and The Plan back in October, so I'm fine with hanging onto our current set. But everyone else who waited can now get most everything under one lid, looks like.

23. JEDI-SOLO

JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost star 6

Feb 12, 2002
    Pics aren't showing up Leto.

I have to say that I wasnt impressed with The Plan at all. I was excited the first time I saw the trailer on Sci-Fi and I didnt watch it till Caprica week. I had DVRed it and that 2hrs took a long time for me to watch over a period of about 4-5days. I kept stopping or pauseing it as to not get to bored and just delete it.

24. Leto II

Jan 23, 2000
    Bah...here we go (apparently, the links weren't working right the first time):

[image=http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i282/nisus8/battlestarnew3dbrd.jpg] [image=http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i282/nisus8/battlestarnew3ddvd.jpg]

25. JEDI-SOLO

JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost star 6

Feb 12, 2002
    Wonder why Tricia is missing on the Blue Ray box?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.