main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The End of the World: The New Battlestar Galactica (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by JediTrilobite, Jan 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedimarine

Jedimarine Force Ghost star 5

Feb 13, 2001
    Size of the box more then likely.

2. Leto II

Leto II Jedi Padawan star 6

Jan 23, 2000
    She and Baltar probably got their own "side" on one of the angles we can't see, there. There's far fewer discs in the Blu-Ray version than in the DVD set, which is why they had to modify it slightly.

3. Leto II

Leto II Jedi Padawan star 6

Jan 23, 2000
  4. Blur

Blur Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 1999

Though the series finale of BG is about a year old at this point, I wanted to finally comment on what I thought about the series as a whole:

Series:

Overall, incredible show. Very bleak and dark, with a lot of parallels to contemporary world/U.S. issues. The idea that the enemy (Cylons) look exactly like Humans has been done before in sci-fi (Blade Runner, Terminator series), but not quite like this. The show was heavy on dialogue, but had more than enough action to keep me interested - I especially liked the space battles, which became more epic and impressive as the series progressed.

All in all, I would have to say that BG is the best sci-fi show on TV I've ever seen, and I've seen quite a few.

(Also, it goes without saying that this show was so different from the original BG as to be virtually unrecognizable - and, this was a good thing!)

BG: Razor

Extremely well-done special that filled in the gaps by giving more info. on the Pegasus and it's captain. Also, this introduced a very strong character who really resonated (even though she passed at the end of the tele-film).

Finale:

Superb final episode, and IMHO the best episode of the series. The final battle on the Cylon Basestar (and everything preceding this) was incredible, and they really pulled out all of the stops here.

The idea that the Cylons and Humans land on a pre-historic Earth and that they are human's ancestors was brilliant, and was actually the perfect ending - I can't imagine an finale better than this (though, I know some fans didn't like this ending at all).

BG: The Plan

A huge dissapointment - I expected much more from this, but IMHO it was just a cobbled-together mess. However, being the completist that I am, I still bought the DVD :)

5. BSG2

BSG2 Jedi Youngling

Jun 20, 2010
    I just stumbled upon this topic and had to chime in, being the huge BSG fan that I am![face_dancing]

Blur: I agree with you on just about everything, including the part about not liking The Plan, but buying it anyway just because I had all of the rest of the DVDs. LOL!:D

IMO, the ending/ finale was great up until the very end with the dancing robots etc. That just ruined it for me. [face_plain]

I was also very dissapointed that Col Tigh and Adama did not really have much of a goodbye scene. They had that one final drink on the sofa in Adama's quarters and that was it! Everyone down on the planet said their goodbyes before heading off in different directions, but there was no final scene on the planet with Tigh and Adama, and I really found that to be a glaring omission not consistent with their characters and their friendship, after all that they had gone through together.

Regardless, it was an awesome show and I still miss it terribly. Unfortunately, for me, Caprica just hasn't been able to fill the void.

6. MistrX

MistrX Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2006
  7. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    I agree. The Plan had some interesting moments, like Anders' resistance movement on Caprica and Cavell putting Ellen on the last flight out of Picon, but it was really just a rehash of the first two seasons.

8. Darth_Kevin

Darth_Kevin Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 30, 2001
    Has anyone heard anything new about the Face of the Enemy webisodes ever being collected or released?

9. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
  10. Espaldapalabras

Espaldapalabras Jedi Master star 5

Aug 25, 2005
    Eh, I just can't get all that excited about it. It doesn't seem like a story that needs to be told, and instead of looking to milk BSG and SG for all they can, maybe they could harness some original creative talent? It seems like a genre that is all about exploration of new worlds would be well served by quitting this trend of constantly going back to old ones.

11. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Well, I think it has promise in the ways it could potentially be different than BSG and Capirca. It'll have the military action focus that Caprica lacks as a hook, and will have to have a more clear cut good vs bad scenario, closer to the early BSG seasons. Not to mention it'll have to have old school Basestars, Vipers and Raiders duking it out. :D . Sure, Razor gave us a few glimpses, but we wants more. :)

12. Obey Wann

Obey Wann Former RMFF CR & SW Region RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 14, 2000
    I'll be all over it. Old school cylons, raiders and vipers? Oh yeah. It'll be everything that Caprica isn't: GOOD.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.