main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Enemy Within

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by Celtic Jedi, Sep 3, 1999.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Celtic Jedi

Celtic Jedi Jedi Youngling

Aug 22, 1999
    Hello...I'm kinda new here...but I love the Jedi Apprentice series..and Obi-Wan...so here goes.

All was quiet in the dark cabin at this late hour. The Jedi master and his padawan were fast asleep. This had been a very important mission. A massive plague had infected the residents of Alderaan, and the two Jedi had been dispatched to distribute a remedy. The efforts were successful for the most part, however, Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan had been needed on more than one occasion to ease the crowds, already maddened by fever. As a result, the two were now using their free time to get some much needed sleep.

Qui-Gon woke from a very restful slumber, early. Looking over, he saw Obi-Wan lying quietly on his sleep couch. Watching his padawan?s eyes flicker rapidly, Qui-Gon smiled. Must be dreaming. Obi-Wan was seventeen now and had been with his master for four years. Their relationship, from
    the beginning, had been oddly connected, and the bond had only grown stronger with time.

Suddenly, Qui-Gon sensed something very strange in his padawan. It was nothing he could detect merely by sight, but something was indeed wrong. Rising slowly, he went over to check the boy. He seemed fine. Becoming paranoid are we? What ever the feeling was, it had dissipated. Qui-Gon?s
    worry, unfortunately, did not. Several more hours past, and the ship they had been on for two days, was now advancing towards Coruscant. The ever vigilant master was still watching his padawan with great concern. To his relief, Obi-Wan rose with his usual yawn and frizzed short hair, which
    made a laugh build in Qui-Gon...a much needed one. ?Good morning Master? Obi-Wan said muffled by grogginess. ?Sleep well?? Qui-Gon walked over to Obi-Wan?s sleep couch and rubbed his padawan?s poofy head, sniggering, ?Indeed, my young padawan. Come now. You must be ready. Master Yoda will be awaiting our arrival.? Giving Obi-Wan one last pat on the back, Qui-Gon left the
    cabin to go to the bridge. He always liked to keep up to date on their status....to be well aware of things. Being mindful as he always said.

Obi-Wan stretched and slung back the covers. Feeling a bit stiff from the work out the following week, he went into the refresher to shower. Afterwards, Obi-Wan, putting on a fresh tunic, looked in the mirror to check himself. He splashed cold water on his face and slowly slid his fingers down his face...attempting, still, to wake up. Just as his fingers moved over his eyes, he looked at his reflection. ?Ahhhh!? Obi-Wan scream and lunged back against the wall in terror. The face he had seen was not his own. This face was hooded and dark...shrouded by evil. Yet, the reflection was familiar somehow...like something from a dream. Trembling, he could hear the quivering in his
    breath. A sigh of relief came to him as the reflection faded away. Without giving the vision a chance to resurface, Obi-Wan dashed out of the refresher and went to find Qui-Gon.

As he ran down the long halls of the ship, his mind was running rampant. Thoughts came to him which were very unfamiliar...like they were being created by someone else. Obi-Wan had neared the bridge and his master, when a rush of terror enveloped him. His vision blurred, his knees
    weakened, and tremendous pain erupted from the inside of his skull. What?s wrong with me? I?m afraid. No! I must focus...focus...fo... As his thoughts trailed off, writhing in pain, Obi-Wan used the last of his strength to find the help he had been seeking. Using the Force, he called out, both physically and mentally. ?MASTER!!!!? With all his strength now gone, the boy collapsed,
    slamming hard onto the floor. Lying there, face down, he felt his awareness slipping farther and farther away. His eyes rolled back slowly, shutting, and he was still.

Meanwhile, Qui-Gon was standing in his usual way, straight, tall, and yet somehow unnoticed, on the bridge. Standing by, the Jedi master was observing his surroundings. The captain approached him, then, suprised to see Qui-Gon at

2. Amidala22

Amidala22 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 20, 1999
    aaaaaarrrrrrrrgggggggggggggggghhhhhhhh!!!!!
    i love the Jedi Apprentices series and i'm hooked on this one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
    write more!!!!!!

3. straightedge jedi

straightedge jedi Jedi Youngling

Sep 2, 1999
    hehehe...you know my thoughts, but just in case:
    http://indigo.ie/~owenc/starwars/images/council.gif

4. The Beef Chick

The Beef Chick Jedi Youngling

Jul 26, 1999
    Oh ****! What happens?!?

5. Celtic Jedi

Aug 22, 1999
    Hey guys! I'm glad you're liking it so far. I promise I'll post more. I've written some today...but not enough to post yet. I'll try not to keep you guys hanging too long. Sorry for my longwindedness. I love description and detail.

6. Durga2000

Durga2000 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 5, 1999
    Write MORE MORE MORE!!!! I'm dying here!!

7. Celtic Jedi

Aug 22, 1999
    Hehe...thanks guys. Here's more.

In a mere whisper, the Jedi master turned, poised for the incoming threat. What Qui-Gon?s eyes then gazed upon was a sight that almost even he feared. The darkness itself seemed to move in whispy streams, like the hand of death brushing against the sick at their moment of passing. He could hear
    Obi-Wan still violently thrashing behind him, and Qui-Gon sent an easing thought to him. Be calm my young padawan. I am here. Qui-Gon knew that Obi-Wan was not afraid for his own life, rather, the boy was afraid for his master?s life. But this was the only thought he could give considering that he was in a rough attempt to control his own emotions. Qui-Gon?s attention was then returned to the being as it began to form. Flowing into a hooded, black cloak and enthralling red eyes, the creature stood. Obi-Wan recognized the figure to be the reflection he had seen earlier in the refresher. ?Master please...I beg you...leave! He?ll have us both if you don?t!? The being raised his eyes, looking past the Jedi Master, to the boy with a scolding glance, and Qui-Gon?s brave stance was shaken when Obi-Wan became eerily silent. He turned only to find that his padawan was down now, shaking, in too much pain to utter even the smallest of sounds. ?Stop this! Leave the boy be. If
    its a fight you want, take me in his place. I am stronger than he and would make a more admirable opponent.? Qui-Gon gave the proposal, now realizing that the entity had full control of Obi-Wan. The being merely laughed at the Jedi and said, ?ENOUGH!!! You, like all other Jedi, believe you are
    always in control of every situation...even if you have only a small part of it. I am here to prove you wrong, Jedi! Does this boy look in control to you?! I am in HIS mind, yet he cannot stop my advances, so don?t even begin to place demands on me! This is my game, and he is the player.?
    With that, the darkness around them disappeared and Qui-Gon was back in the sleep cabin cradling Obi-Wan....who was now fully awake and screaming. ?Obi-Wan....OBI-WAN...its alright. You?re safe. Qui-Gon yelled, rattling the boy back into reality. Obi-Wan stared at his master and finally
    inhaled a breath. ?Master??

Obi-Wan, still shaken by the past events, remained very quiet as Qui-Gon looked at him
    questioningly. He placed a comforting hand on the boy?s face. ?Are you all right?? Obi-Wan, for a moment, could only give the Jedi master a vacant glance. ?I...I don?t know. I believe so, Master. What just happened?? Obi-Wan was barely able to get the words out before he collapsed from complete exhaustion. Qui-Gon placed the boy back down on the sleep couch and watched over him
    until the ship landed. The captain broke the silence. ?Master Jinn, we have docked, and the healers you requested are waiting. They tell me that Master...Y..Yoda..I think, will be here shortly. Do you need assistance?? Qui-Gon checked Obi-Wan who was still out cold. ?No captain. I thank you for
    your hospitality, but I can handle things from here.? Ending the transmission, Qui-Gon turned and gently picked up the boy, amazingly for his age, still only half of Qui-Gon?s size, and carried him out of the ship. As he walked down to the landing platform, Qui-Gon saw Master Yoda approaching and he moved to greet him. Kneeling now, Qui-Gon met his master?s eyes. ?Master Yoda, I am pleased to see you.? Yoda did not, however look to Qui-Gon, but instead kept his focus on Obi-Wan. ?Much danger I sense for this boy. Trouble did you have on the ship?? Qui-Gon?s face now turned to look at his padawan, and he sighed deeply. ?Yes Master. Obi-Wan is being attacked by a being unlike anything I?ve ever known. He gives a massive assault through mind probes and quite literally takes full control of his victim. I did not bring Obi-Wan back from his trance, it was the entity that let him go. I know that this being had the potential to kill Obi-Wan, and yet, he did not.? Yoda piered intently at the resting boy, in deep thought. ?Mention the Jedi did he??

8. Celes

Celes Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 8, 1999
    I can hardly wait to read what happens. Please continue...

9. Gaeriel

Gaeriel Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 9, 1999
    What an ingenious idea...an inner enemy. I can hardly wait to see how this will turn out...

10. Durga2000

Jul 5, 1999
    More....more....must have more.... How do you fight one of those inner enemies?????

11. Celtic Jedi

Aug 22, 1999
    Patience...hehe. Sorry for any delay. Lots of homework this week. Hope you don't mind how long and drawn out these are.

Qui-Gon now sat, almost dozing, in a chair at the head of Obi-Wan?s bed. The bright rays of sun had long since faded, leaving Coruscant resembling scattered star dust. The boy had been unconscious for several hours, and the assaults upon his mind had not returned...yet. These attacks had left
    Obi-Wan completely drained and gave him a pale appearance. The healers had said the boy would recover, with rest, but this gave Qui-Gon no comfort. The strong Jedi looked upon his apprentice?s face, so young and innocent in sleep. Qui-Gon smiled broadly as he felt a slow, but steady ripple in
    the Force, coming from Obi-Wan. He?s waking. Leaning closer, Qui-Gon gently ran his fingers across his student?s forehead. Quietly, he called, ?Padawan...hear my voice and follow it. Awaken, my padawan.? Moments later, Obi-Wan stirred, too weak to be very mobile. He slowly turned his head to face his master. ?M..Master..where..what?? He choked on the words. ?Shh...?, Qui-Gon
    soothed. ?You?re in the temple med center. The healers have given me permission to take you to our cabin...when you are ready.? Qui-Gon seemed to be avoiding mentioning the event that had brought Obi-Wan here, but his padawan wouldn?t allow it. Raising slightly, Obi-Wan strained to speak,
    ?Master...please..w..what is this..this evil that torments me so. Even when..the being is not attacking, I feel its presence. I try to focus, feel the Force, and block the thing from me, but it only tightens the
    hold. I feel trapped...even now.?

Thanks for reading.

12. Mrs. Obi-Wan

Mrs. Obi-Wan Jedi Youngling

Sep 10, 1999
    This is a very good story! I need more!!! Please don't take too long! <grin>

13. JediPerson

JediPerson Jedi Youngling

Aug 17, 1999
    I like. Please continue, can't wait for more.

14. Celtic Jedi

Aug 22, 1999
    Hey guys! Sorry for making my next post so late. College is rather hectic. Hope I still have a few readers somewhere.

The strong Jedi Master continued to soothe Obi-Wan as he spoke. ?You must rest my padawan. You have been through a great deal today.? The youth stiffened slightly in protest. ?Master forgive me, but I can not wait any longer. Please.? Qui-Gon shuddered as the gray-blue eyes fixed on him,
    pleading. Letting another sigh escape, ?Very well, but you must promise me that you will sleep afterwards.? Obi-Wan knodded as his master settled in for a long explanation. ?Legend tells of an ageless being called a Golith. It is said to be as old as the Force itself. The being exists so far from a natural state that it seems to only live as a mental perception.? The boy shifted a little, an uncomfortable feeling of worry rising. Qui-Gon sensed this and placed a comforting hand on Obi-Wan?s. ?The legend also speaks of the being?s violent need for bizarre games. It would search
    the universe looking for a challenge until at last it would find an unsuspecting victim.? Obi-Wan turned even paler than before. ?Like me?? The older Jedi frowned slightly. ?Yes, Obi-Wan.? Worry building more strongly, wanting answers, ?What of these other victims? Did they never fight
    back? What did they reveal about this...being?? A grim coldness past between the two with an almost eerie silence. Tightening his hand gently over the boy?s Qui-Gon began again. ?We have no
    first-hand accounts of the attacks. By the time the victims were found they were..were...? Obi-Wan raised, ?Were what Master?? The older Jedi spoke with an icy tone. ?They were dead Obi-Wan.?

Obi-Wan said nothing, as he let the reality of his master?s words sink in. He only stared at Qui-Gon looking for some sort of reassurance but found only worry and remorse. How could a creature do something so terrible? Anything that has such a lust for fear in another would have to be more evil than anything! Wouldn?t it? ?Master...how could anything be so cruel?? The Jedi master smiled sadly and patted Obi-Wan?s hand. ?Padawan, there is one thing that I wish I could have kept a secret from you just a little longer, but now that cannot be. You must understand Obi-Wan. The Temple taught you to look for the light in all living creatures as you find it in yourself. You will learn, as I have, that some beings have no light to seek. They were created from pure evil and nothing else. It is these abominations that we strive to rid the universe of. That is what the Jedi seek, a way to find peace among all. That will not happen if these dark forces are allowed to remain in control as they have. The Golith is a prime example and just one of thousands, young one.? Qui-Gon leaned forward pushing Obi-Wan back onto the pillow. ?You must rest now. I will hear no protests, Obi-Wan.? The youth saw that Qui-Gon had that ?I mean it? look, so he decided it best to do as told..this time. ?I know that this troubles you, but remember, my padawan. You are just that. Mine. And I won?t let anyone take you from me. Do you understand?? Obi-Wan smiled softly at the thought and relaxed. ?Yes Master. I know.? Qui-Gon began to leave, realizing that Obi-Wan was calm but was stopped by a hand on his arm. ?Master?? The Jedi master turned with a questioning
    look. ?Yes, Obi-Wan.? The younger Jedi spoke softly. ?Will you stay....just for a while?? A small chuckle came from Qui-Gon, and he sat back as he was. ?Of course, Obi-Wan...of course.? Placing his hand, once again, on his padawan?s, they both slept.

?Hello little one. It is so nice to have you with me again.? Obi-Wan?s senses came screaming into alertness and attempted to block out the fear at the unexpected voice. ?Not again!? The youth, trying
    to obtain some sanity in the situation, attempted to calm his mind. ?I?m not in its control. I am not in its control! I am not afraid. I am NOT in his world.? The echoing voice billowed around the boy as if in a chasm far larger than one could

15. Gaeriel

Gaeriel Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 9, 1999
    I love the plot. How can you fight something that is within. What's going to happen now?

16. Durga2000

Jul 5, 1999
    Okay. I've been reading this all along and not posting anything. You caught me! But please, oh please, write more. I want to know how this ends!!!!!

17. space case

space case Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 4, 1999
    Excellent. It's too bad school gets in the way of Star Wars.

18. Celes

Celes Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 8, 1999
    It's awful being left hanging this long.... Isn't there a school vacation somewhere. This would make a good Halloween story.

19. Durga2000

Jul 5, 1999
    I must be patient....I must be patient....

20. Misty the Pokemon trainer

Misty the Pokemon trainer Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 26, 1999
    Isn't school out on Monday? Please....more story. Don't forget us!!!!

21. Celtic Jedi

Aug 22, 1999
    Thanks guys. I was wondering if anyone was reading when it kept being put on the back pages. I hope you like it so far. All support is appreciated.

Continuing to be silent, all the strong Jedi master could do was look into those tear-filled eyes with disbelief at the haunted words spoken by the youth, ignoring the bitter cold of emptiness left by the
    absence of the bond to his beloved padawan. This was too much. Oh, my Obi-Wan. What has that retched thing done to you?! Oh, Obi-Wan. Qui-Gon, holding back tears of his own, pulled the trembling boy close. The older Jedi whispered into Obi-Wan?s hair. ?Its all right...shhh...its all
    right.? Qui-Gon wasn?t completely sure of who he was trying to convince, Obi-Wan or himself, but a whimper brought him back to the task at hand, for once wishing to feel the pain and enormous flow of heart-wrenching emotion through the connection. The older Jedi couldn?t believe that feeling
    dread through the bond would be something he could miss, but anything would be better than the quiet in his mind. Obi-Wan tucked his face into the safety of his master?s shoulder. Was he real? Was any of this real? ?M..Master?? The sound was so low and choked that it was almost unheard.
    Thankful to hear a voice from the shaking form, Qui-Gon jumped. ?Padawan?? The look on Obi-Wan?s face was of utter turmoil. ?Am I dreaming? I can?t...feel...anything.? Qui-Gon felt his heart break at the sight of his padawan so lost and alone. He realized that Obi-Wan really wasn?t sure that all he was seeing was not an illusion, something created by that...that...thing. His padawan had no proof. From Obi-Wan?s perspective, everything had just been wiped from existence, leaving him with a dream of what had once been treasured reality. ?No...no, my padawan. You are not dreaming. Everything you see is real.? Force help me...let him see that I am speaking the truth.

A trembling, young hand touched Qui-Gon?s brow, while gray-blue eyes sought the answer. Doubts were cast away almost immediately when Obi-Wan saw the warmth and concern in the face staring back at him. Tears blurred the youth?s vision once more and could not be contained. An overflow of emotion came pouring out, and Obi-Wan cried fiercely. ?Oh Master...? The sobbing
    voice was muffled when Qui-Gon pulled his padawan into a protective embrace. It took all that the Jedi master had not to allow release of his own emotions. Hearing his Obi-Wan?s anguished gasps and feeling those hands clench his Jedi robes for any kind of support was almost his undoing. Qui-Gon felt feelings of rage, fear and every other unwanted emotion a person could think of, and the teachings of his master echoed from memory. ?Fear is the path to the dark side?, Yoda had said...oh so many times, and in situations like these, that statement almost brought irritation....mostly because
    Qui-Gon knew it to be true no matter how much he tended to think otherwise. He couldn?t help but think of destroying that vicious creature with his own two hands....and almost enjoying it. But the
    need to be strong for Obi-Wan was more important. Padawan....the affects you have on my heart worry me at times. Qui-Gon tamped down those feelings and attempted held Obi-Wan as tight as possible without hurting the boy. The youth shook for several long minutes before growing still.
    ?Rest now, my Obi-Wan.? The exhausted padawan made a small attempt to move, but Qui-Gon stifled the motion. ?Lye still Padawan. I feel more at ease knowing that you are as close as possible...if not for your sake, let it be to calm me.? The youth sighed softly then nuzzled back into the warm
    robe covering his master?s shoulder. Qui-Gon, taking that hint as no protest, took this time for meditation. He had a feeling he would need it.

Hope you like

22. Jedi Obi-Wan Kenobi

Jedi Obi-Wan Kenobi Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 14, 1999
    *sigh* That was so cute Good job Write more soon

23. Durga2000

Jul 5, 1999
    You're back! Great! Thank you for remembering us!!!!!!!

24. Misty the Pokemon trainer

Misty the Pokemon trainer Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 26, 1999
    This is so well written. It's one of my favorite stories!

25. Mrs. Obi-Wan

Mrs. Obi-Wan Jedi Youngling

Sep 10, 1999
    Great story! Please continue it soon!!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.