main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Enemy Within

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by Celtic Jedi, Sep 3, 1999.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Avene

Avene Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 28, 2000
    Oops, didn't realise there was a 2nd page. just thought my post never got through.

[This message has been edited by Avene (edited 05-06-2000).]

2. Darth Mini-Maul

Darth Mini-Maul Jedi Youngling

May 4, 2000
    Ruled out lightwave and 3d studio max? You must be using something pretty weak then.

"I will call him.....Mini-Maul"

3. Darth Mini-Maul

May 4, 2000
    Well best of luck to you. The ILM look is indeed one to aspire towards. You certainly have a long way to go.

MTFBWY!!

4. Pokemon_Kenobi

Pokemon_Kenobi Jedi Youngling

May 5, 2000
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Geneva,Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Darth Mini-Maul:
    Well best of luck to you. The ILM look is indeed one to aspire towards. You certainly have a long way to go.

MTFBWY!!

Why do I have the feeling we've picked up another pathetic lifeform?

5. m0rpheus25

m0rpheus25 Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 11, 2000
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Geneva,Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Darth Mini-Maul:

MTFBWY!!

So have YOU done any FX on the scale of ILM's work?

6. Darth Mini-Maul

May 4, 2000
    Theres absolutely nothing wrong with the Duality team trying to aspire to ILM quality work. Whether or not I've done it has nothing to do with my ability to rate their current quality level. I was certainly able to do so when I was blown away by The Phantom Menace. When they said they were going for the look of ILM its like some little kid at the playground saying "I bought the Air Jordans so I could play like Mike!!". These guys AREN'T ILM!! Good luck though. May the force be with all of you.

7. Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn

Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 23, 1999
    Not to be rude, but you still haven't answered my question.

Also, IMHO, they don't have very far to go to get ILM quality effects!

8. Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn

Sep 23, 1999
    &gt;Brain awakens&lt; "Of course they haven't answered my question... They are keeping it secret!

whack

whack

whack"

9. Darth Duality

Darth Duality Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 1, 2000
    Just for the time being, Lt. Thanks for the kind words!

10. The_Scream_Man

The_Scream_Man Jedi Knight star 5

May 1, 2000
    Im not even goingto pretend I know what any of the programs u spoke about are. All I knoiw is I saw Duality, and it looked cool. i personally thought it could have said a little more, coz it doesnt tell us much beyond the fact the FX kick *** .
    And I agree, the hip should have been goin a little slower when it landed. that my only complaint though. Great trailer, lookin forward to the finished product

11. Darth Mini-Maul

May 4, 2000
    Well regardless of the quality of their work, i hope that they aspire to also get the lighsaber duels to the level of TPM. I watched Duel and wasn't very impressed. The one individual seemed to have a small amount martial arts experience but the sand made his movements look slow.

MTFBWY

12. The Jedi Apprentice

The Jedi Apprentice Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 29, 1999
    I hope you aren't talking about Dave (Darth Hideous). I thought he did great! His moves were very cool.

I did think some parts of the battle looked obviously planned. But overall it was a good short film.

13. Azeem

Azeem TFN Staff, Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 12, 1999
    Darth Mini-Maul,

I do not know where you came from but I recommend you not post on this thread anymore. You came looking to start a flame war and it will not happen.

This forum is for the community of fans and the filmmakers. You are obviously neither.

Azeem
    TFN FanFilms

14. Darth Mini-Maul

May 4, 2000
    Perhaps replying to your post here isn't the best place but I'm not sure where else to do so. I just recently signed up at this forum assuming that the basic ideas of free speech would be honored(minus profanity and such stuff) But appearantly I can only post if my messages aren't full of constructive criticisms. I guess I have to lie and say how much every movie is perfect and free from error. Heaven forbid that we might not like some aspect of the movie.

[This message has been edited by Darth Mini-Maul (edited 05-06-2000).]

15. Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn

Sep 23, 1999
    I think what Azeem was trying to say was that some of your criticisms don't seem very constructive to him.

You are aware that for Duel they had to abandon some shots, right? That could have something to do with the fact that the film seemed to be... "Amateurish" in your eyes. I thought it was great.
    Also, that was (I think) their first movie, give them a break!

16. Darth Duality

Darth Duality Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 1, 2000
    Mini-Maul,

Well, I've sat by in silence here for a while, but now I feel compelled to respond directly to you. Lets start with this last post:

Perhaps replying to your post here isn't the best place but I'm not sure where else to do so. I just recently signed up at this forum assuming that the basic ideas of free speech would be honored(minus profanity and such stuff) But appearantly I can only post if my messages aren't full of constructive criticisms. I guess I have to lie and say how much every movie is perfect and free from error. Heaven forbid that we might not like some aspect of the movie.

[This message has been edited by Darth Mini-Maul (edited 05-06-2000).]

First, this is a forum for conversation and divergent ideas. Certainly free speech is honored, but civility and maturity are expected as well. Provided that someone can communicate with these qualities, they are more than welcome (sorry if I'm speaking for you here, Az...). So, provided that you're talking about free speech with the above in mind, you're on target with your first two lines. As to the line about constructive criticism, well, here we have a problem. My definition of a constructive criticism is that it has to be constructive, i.e. it is more than just pointing out that you don't like something. A constructive criticism would contain reference to what an individual could do to improve on their efforts (anybody disagree with this definition?). Thus far, I've seen nothing constructive in your criticisms. For illustrative purposes, lets look back:

Your first post: Ruled out lightwave and 3d studio max? You must be using something pretty weak then. -- Darth Mini-Maul

I suppose in some twisted, misinformed way, you MIGHT have considered this to be constructive, a kind of imperative sent out to Mark and I that if we're not using Lightwave or Max, we're using garbage. Perhaps you were sharing something from the pit of your kind heart to help out those less fortunate or less intelligent than you? My interpretation of this comment, however, was that you took Mark's post, which said that we'd ruled out Lightwave and Max (along with other applications) to go with something else, as a slam against your preferred platform for 3D, and that, by association, it was a slam to you as well (and by the way, it was neither. Mark had said nothing at this point as to WHY we didn't use these programs, just that we'd ruled them out). As far as what we're using being weak, it IS software used extensively by ILM for the Phantom Menace as well as the special edition movies, so if its good enough for them, its certainly good enough for a couple of hacks like us.

Your second post: Well best of luck to you. The ILM look is indeed one to aspire towards. You certainly have a long way to go. MTFBWY!! -- Darth Mini-Maul

For this post to be defined as constructive, it would have contained some reference as to how ILM would have done a better job. Now, I also should say that I agree with you. We do have a ways to go. And we're working on it. However, the tone of this post is nothing more than trivial and mean-spirited, the kind pot-shot a little kid makes to try to hurt someone's feelings.

Your third post: Theres absolutely nothing wrong with the Duality team trying to aspire to ILM quality work. Whether or not I've done it has nothing to do with my ability to rate their current quality level. I was certainly able to do so when I was blown away by The Phantom Menace. When they said they were going for the look of ILM its like some little kid at the playground saying "I bought the Air Jordans so I could play like Mike!!". These guys AREN'T ILM!! Good luck though. May the force be with all of you. -- Darth Mini-Maul

You seem to be under the impression that we think that we are ILM. What a foolish notion that would be for us. We're two guys, working on two older model, under-powered computers. I've had to re-adjust my monitor three times during the writing of

17. Darth Mini-Maul

May 4, 2000
    Well regardless of your soap box antics, I again for the 4th time wish you all the best of luck. When I eventually get my movie on to the Force Net, I look forward to any constructive criticism that comes its way. I would consider it a failure if we didn't find at least one person who didn't like it. I would never think of shunning any individual who finds faults in our creative efforts. If you can't live with the fact that some people might not like your work then you should perhaps think about a new hobbie. The forum didn't shut down when people posted negative reviews about TPM. Best of luck!

MTFBWY

18. Zayn

Zayn Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 1, 1999
    *runs out of the flames* AHHHHHHHHH IM ON FIRE HELP MEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

19. rossevelli

rossevelli Jedi Youngling

Mar 16, 2000
    Hi, I'm working on a fanfilm of my own currently and I'm a little bothered by you guys jumping so harshly on a little constructive criticism. My film is eventually going to go up on TFN and I would be a little disappointed if people were discouraged from giving their honest opinion, even if it's a negative one or one that doesn't jive with the majority decision. Criticism is an important part of the creative process, without it we have no way to learn from our possible shortcomings, and no reason to try and work harder. Everyone's opinion is valid.... that's MY opinion anyway...

...PJ

20. Darth Mini-Maul

May 4, 2000
    My thoughts exactly rossevelli. I'm not here to insult there movie but to simply say that it could use a little extra work. Hopefull the Duality crew can take that to heart and learn from it.

MTFBWY

21. Zayn

Zayn Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 1, 1999
    ok lets define something here...

constructive criticism- telling someone ways they can improve, pointing out mistakes, offering suggestions

criticism- bashing the thing to bits, pointing out even the smallest error that no one really gives a rats *** about, bunching the movie, not looking at it for it's entertainment value, no suggestion, a pissing war to see who knows more, a contest to see who has bigger balls, something said to start a flame war... do we get the point???

I love constructive criticism and I?m sure the makers of the duel do also, but nothing you have said hasn't already been said 50 times before. Your topic is a little butcher and one we are all tired of. No one wants to hear you if your only going to sit around and piss on there movie.

to sum up shortly: Darth Mini-Maul you have beat this to death and we no longer give a **** about what you have to say... it was fine your 1st 10 posts but it's a little old now

22. Darth Mini-Maul

May 4, 2000
    Temper, temper. Did I make the little kids cry? Heres a definition for you.

criticism \Crit"i*cism\ (kr?t"?-s?z'm), n. 1. The rules and principles which regulate the practice of the critic; the art of judging with knowledge and propriety of the beauties and faults of a literary performance, or of a production in the fine arts; as, dramatic criticism

23. Adi_Gallia

Adi_Gallia Jedi Youngling

May 5, 2000
    con·struc·tive (ken-sturk'tiv) adj.

1.Serving to improve or advance; helpful: constructive criticism.
    2.Of or relating to construction; structural.
    3.Law. Based on an interpretation; not directly expressed.

24. Darth Mini-Maul

May 4, 2000
    good definition...that proves my whole point here. If the duality guys will just stop and listen to the comments it could HELP the overall quality of their movie.

25. Jean

Jean Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 7, 2003
    Up for the move

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.