main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Characters The Enigmatic and Mysterious Count Dooku - Happy Life Day Sir Christopher Lee! (27 May)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Kynstar, Oct 19, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kynstar

Kynstar Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 2, 2004
    (Disclaimer - if there is already a Dooku thread, please lock)

*Inside a vast castle in the library lies a very large wooden table - oval in shape - with many chairs surrounding it. A fire place off to the side cracks and pops while orange and red light reflects off the burning wood. A lady with dark green eyes, long auburn hair, dressed in a long flowing dress with silver etchings on the sleeves and hem of the skirt, motions for you to take a seat.*

"Welcome to Castle Serenno where the famous Count Dooku resided at times."

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Jedi Master Dooku - Idealist and one of the best swordsmen in the Order. His opinion of the Jedi became questionable as later in his life he began to see that they had weakened themselves by continuing to serve an institution that had become (and continued to be) corrupt - the Galactic Republic.

After his departure from the Jedi Order, he accepted his heritage to become the Count of Serenno and was not seen or heard from for many years. He later re-emerged as a political leader to bring forth rebellion to the galaxy. In an alarmingly short time, Dooku rallied thousands of systems to his cause, building a growing Separatist movement that threatened to split the Republic - the Confederacy of Independent Systems (CIS).

Unknown to all but a very few...the Count became enthralled by the Dark Side and was a Sith apprentice at that. Working with the Sith Master - plans upon plans were laid out and followed through.

A man who gave all for correcting the wrongs of a failing government would now find out whether or not his struggles to rectify those faults was worth all his sacrifices.

Not much is known about him and what info that can be found is scattered through out several books and comics. Labyrinth of Evil and (my fave so far) Dark Rendezvous. In those two books alone, imperative information has been brought out to our attention. LoE has Yoda mentioning that the corruption of the Senate and Qui-Gon's (Dooku's former Padawan) was the leading cause for the aristocrat to leave Jedi. In DR we find that Dooku was playing a fine line between play acting and actually tiring of the Clone War. Plus we also discovered that Dooku had been given to the Jedi at an older age than most children were.

Please feel free to join me here to discuss about the ex-Jedi Master, political leader of the CIS, and a dark lord of the Sith - Darth Tyranus.

[image=http://christopherleeweb.com/store/images/dooku6.jpg]

2. Jennifer_Lyn

Jennifer_Lyn Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 8, 2005
    Lovely introduction Kynstar!

I'm quite interested to learn more about the man that trained Qui-Gon. He's such a major player it's surprising that so little is known about him.

Do we have a topic?

3. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Oh look, a new characterization thread. And this one for Count Dooku, what a surprise. ;) ;) :p

It looks great Kynstar. :D

4. Alethia

Alethia Jedi Master star 5

Feb 13, 2005
    Ooh...nice intro, Kyn! *grins*

Dooku's a pretty interesting character. I got the feeling that he had been teetering between the Light and the Dark Side for a while, before Qui was killed and he finally 'lost his balance'.

He certainly was a gentleman, which was interesting. While Palpatine played a 'gentleman', so to speak, it was simply in Dooku's essence. And you have to admit that being a Sith fit him well. *grins*

5. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002
    Love it ! [face_love]

6. Kynstar

Mar 2, 2004
    Oops..guess there does need to be a topic, eh? [face_blush]

Well let's see...let's start back into his Jedi days. Do you think Dooku chose Qui-Gon...or do you think Yoda had a hand in it like he did with Qui choosing Obi-Wan (if you go by the JA books that is).

7. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    ]-} Kynstar, running the Dooku thread? Who woulda thunk it? [face_thinking]

I think Dooku would have chosen Qui-Gon himself. I can't imagine Dooku letting himself be lead too much in the task of choosing a Padawan.

8. JediMindTrick000

JediMindTrick000 Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 14, 2004
    Oh, beloved Kynstar! I cannot wait to see how successful and enlightening this thread becomes. And of course, there is no better person for the job than yourself.

On the topic, I would definitely say Dooku would have chosen Qui-Gon, because I'm sure Qui-Gon has always been a "rebel" type with a great sense of independence. While Dooku was always more of a gentleman, more reserved and thinking things through much more than Qui, I'm sure there was just a small shred of Dooku that wished he could be just like his apprentice. I don't think that could ever happen, so he may have enjoyed the thought of living it vicariously through Qui-Gon.

Excellent topic, excellent thread, and if you start a Dooku story database, I'd love to throw my little ditty into the mix.

MTFBW this thread! [face_peace]

9. LLL

LLL Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 16, 2000
    I hadda ask, because the Sacrificial General is worming his way into my fic.

I'm really beginning to like Dooku now. I bet he probably picked Qui though ... too headstrong to let someone else choose for him! I bet Qui was secretly hoping for him the entire time, too!

10. BroodingLion

BroodingLion Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 14, 2004
    I wonder if Yoda, having seen that he couldn't quite get rid of Dooku's independent streak, might've indirectly coerced him to pick Qui-Gon, in the hope that in dealing with someone similarly impulsive but of a different generation and with a different outlook, Dooku might slowly shift to a more conservative stance. Kind of like how Obi-Wan used to be brash and impulsive, but after Qui-Gon's death - and in having a Padawan more tumultuous than most - adapted a more centered outlook and a more measured, energy-efficient style of fighting.

11. Forcefire

Forcefire Jedi Master star 4

Jul 17, 2000
    I'm a big Dooku fan. I love the dignity and the class... he's played by Christopher Lee, for crying out loud, one of my favorite actors. I think I finally found a story with a place for him, too. He was a main character in one of my bunnies, but that just hasn't come together into a real story at all, just a vague series of events, so it's not gonna get written, unless I drop it in someone else's lap. So, he'll have to wait.

I can see him choosing Qui-Gon. He might even mean it when he tells Obi-Wan he wishes Qui-Gon were still around.

Lovin' this thread.

12. RK_Striker_JK_5

RK_Striker_JK_5 Force Ghost star 7

Jul 2, 2003
    I'm not the most knowledgeable of Dooku, but I plan on writing him in the near future for a crossover, so I'll be popping in here for wisdom from the masters.

I do also think he was the nicest Sith Lord, for lack of a better term. Is that right?

And Kynstar, awesome intro.

13. Kynstar

Mar 2, 2004
    Welcome! Glad you all enjoyed the intro! [face_batting] The seats are available (as well as a variety of drinks and snacks) at any time to visit and discuss the mysterious Count Dooku :)

Looks like the majority believe that Dooku would have chosen Qui on his own. I kind'a lean toward that myself. Since he was wanting to be the best, he probably saw a great potential in young Qui-Gon. Let alone the youth was strong in the Living Force, a rarity among most Jedi it seems.

I wonder about that too, his expression at that spot was of reflecting, but who knows if it was actual or not. I want to say it was ;) specially since Yoda does say that part of his leaving was due to Qui-Gon's death.

Man can you imagine what might have happened if Qui-Gon had survived Naboo? Perhaps we can discuss this next... If Qui-Gon's death would not have happened...would his surviving have any baring on Dooku's leaving the Order? Would he have left still at around that time, or at a later time?

14. Obi-Wan_Ken-Obi

Obi-Wan_Ken-Obi Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 28, 2005
    A Dooku thread... I am surprised you have done this sooner Kynstar. Your love for the old guy is known to all :). Nice intro.

No I do not think that it would have affected him to much since it was rather normal for the Master? Padawan bond to be weakened after Knighthood. And even a friendship tie was ulikely IMHO. So I think he still would have left around the same time.

15. JediMindTrick000

JediMindTrick000 Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 14, 2004
    It may not have been as soon, but I'm confident Dooku would have still left within a couple years of Naboo since the Jedi Order was still going down the tubes as Palpatine rose to power. And I'm sure Dooku would have called Qui-Gon a fool if he chose to stay in the order, and would have tried everything in his power to add Qui-Gon to the ranks of the "Lost Twenty."

16. Forcefire

Jul 17, 2000
    I seem to remember reading in the Episode III novelization that he said goodbye to Qui-Gon before he left the order. Or am I just crazy? In any case, I think the Count was on his way out. If Qui-Gon had survived, I think the question would be less whether Dooku would leave and more would Qui-Gon follow him. Dooku is a leader of men, persuasive enough to lead the Confederate movement. But is his charisma enough to shake Qui-Gon from his principles? Bears more thinking (on my part, anyway).

And GFFA historians are sort of lucky he left the order. Lost Twenty sounds way cooler than "Lost Nineteen." :p

17. LLL

LLL Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 16, 2000
    "Let alone the youth was strong in the Living Force, a rarity among most Jedi it seems."

Hmm. Did I read somewhere that they both were, and thus shared a common interest most Jedi didn't?

Or am I mistaking something read in a fan fic for canon? (Probably I am!)

I kind of like that Yoda idea, though. Sounds like something Yoda would try.

I prefer Qui-Gon dying being the straw that broke the camel's back because it ties the story together and makes it more poignant, somehow. There has to be that bit of good left in Dooku anyway ... how else would he have trained Qui, the Jedi Extraordinaire??

18. BroodingLion

Mar 14, 2004
    I think Dooku always meant well, deep down; but he became so jaded that he seems to have fully embraced a Machiavellian philosophy - unless he himself is doing the dirty work, in which case he tries to at least make it as fair and elegant as the situation allows. But he had no qualms about cutting Grievous or Asajj loose, it looks like. If I remember the ROTS novelization correctly he also had a significant anti-nonhuman bias, but that aside, I think Dooku always had the best intentions for the Republic - he just didn't go about it the right way...

19. Forcefire

Jul 17, 2000
    And you know what they say about roads to a certain warm place...

That's one of the aspects that mirrors Anakin, except Anakin's temptation was more personal. I think that's part of why the Dooku duels are so interesting to me- he shares Qui-Gon with Obi-Wan and has more in common with Anakin than Anakin yet realizes.

20. Princess_Arulmozhi

Princess_Arulmozhi Jedi Master star 4

Nov 16, 2004
    Wow. A thread for the grand Dook. And by Kynstar, no less. I'm flabbergasted!:eek: :D

Excellent intro, Kyn. I think I began to take an interest in the suave Count only after I saw you gush..er, express your admiration for his fine form,face and finesse.

I wonder, personally, how Qui-Gon adjusted with his master's suave eccentricity, for want of a better word.

21. Kynstar

Mar 2, 2004
    Wow you guys are coming up with some good pointers! =D= Wonderful!

Welcome Princess :D

One would have to wonder how Qui coped with the man's elegance - even though he wore tunics and robes, I bet he still held himself high and well groomed :) One has to wonder if he sniffed at having to get dirty [face_laugh] cuz we all know that there are planets out there that are! (Tatooine for one)

22. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    I can't see Dooku being manipulated into having an apprentice choosen for him, that'sw more his style, but BroodingLion, I love the idea that Yoda might have tried to use that reasoning wtih his old Padawan.

And I have to agree with appreciated the character played by Christopher Lee, a most outstanding actor.

23. BroodingLion

Mar 14, 2004
    I think it's a shame that I haven't seen Lee outside of SW and LOTR - he's obviously got a special something, but I've unfortunately only seen him in these supporting roles...

Who says Dooku would know that Yoda was pulling strings? :D Or even if he did - say, Yoda invites him to watch 12-and-13-year-old Padawans sparring in a tournament, in which Qui-Gon is participating - he might go along with it out of curiosity, and if he found Qui-Gon interesting enough, I don't think he'd care that he'd been nudged into it... because he'd probably have confidence in his ability to develop the relationship his way, as opposed to Yoda's.

I know that might be reaching a bit, but I like to wonder about the little things...

If we were ever to get books or comics about Dooku's days as a Knight and Master, say, before the massacre at Galidraan, maybe training Qui-Gon and that Komari Vosa girl, d'you guys (and ladies!) think that would build us a better picture of him, or would it just erode his mystique? What would you rather see - a more thorough history or having him keep his current aura of mystery? I think there's enough potential and interest there for Del Rey/Lucasbooks to at least consider it, and I can see Luceno or Denning doing something interesting with him. I'd love to see Stover take on such a character, once he finishes Caine Black Knife. And of course, after the great Dooku scenes that I think were the main strength in Dark Rendezvous, Sean Stewart would be a good choice, though I'd want to see less of the kiddy humor that was in DR. I'd be particularly interested to see Dooku in interactions with Mace, both for the contrast between Dooku's independence and Mace's stiffness, and for the idealism they share, if in different ways.

24. hyperspace_police

hyperspace_police Jedi Master star 4

Jun 22, 2005
    I think that Dooku would have been drawn to Qui Gon on his own. The whole rebel thing that others have mentioned certainly seems to fit.[face_thinking]

Great thread Kyn.=D=

Great Intro.@};-

I have my own chair so I don't need to take up one of yours but I step into your "Castle" and I bring with me a refreshing Mt. Dew for you cause I know you wouldn't have it any other way....:D

25. Kynstar

Mar 2, 2004
    He's an awesome actor! Won awards and is even in the Guiness (sp) records as for doing the most shows/movies/acts in history. Man has an outstanding amount of time on stage/film. He is well known for his role in the old Dracula movies (got like 5 of those! [face_love])

He's played in a couple Sherlock Holmes movies (one as Mycroft Holmes and another as Henry Baskerville). And a bunch of other odds and ends (horror movies and misc others) movies.

I, too wish they'd write more on the Count. The character has sooooo much mystery surrounding him! Stewart did well with Dooku I thought. Stover writing him...maybe. ;) Gotta admit...when I saw Stover's name on a SW book I had to do a double take. I'm used to him writing Forgotten Realms books! [face_laugh]

As for the Komari Vosa girl...I don't blame Dooku getting the Council to deny her Knighthood. (his love was only for Jocasta! [face_laugh] sorry couldn't resist on that one! ;) )

One does have to wonder if he had any other apprentices than Qui and her. I don't think so personally. He might have done some lightsaber training, but taking on another apprentice... IMHO I don't think he would have.

[:D] hyperspace_police Welcome my fellow ArkanSith!! True about the chair! :D And thanks for the Dew! One can never have enough! ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.