main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Characters The Enigmatic and Mysterious Count Dooku - Happy Life Day Sir Christopher Lee! (27 May)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Kynstar, Oct 19, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ardavenport

ardavenport Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 16, 2004
    It just doesn't sound reasonable that Qui-Gon's death triggered Dooku's fall to the Dark side. Qui-Gon was killed by a Sith, so Dooku goes off to join them? Doesn't make sense to me. I think that Dooku just decided that the only way to save the Republic was to go to the Dark Side. Hmmmmmm, where have we heard that before? o_O[face_thinking] Anyway, once he went to the Dark Side, everything he did was filtered through the perspective of gaining more power, which is what Sith do. From his POV he was doing the galaxy a favor by helping to unite it under the Sith.

I really, really don't think that Dooku knew anything about Order 66. Of course, he expected many Jedi to die in the Clone Wars, but I think he expected the survivors to be offered a chance to join the Dark Side once the Sith won the war.

Hmmmmmm, I don't think that Dooku and Padme have anything in common. [face_plain]

2. Specterace

Specterace Jedi Master star 4

Jun 4, 2005
    Here's the thing: Regardless of whether or not Qui-Gon was killed by a Sith, Dooku CLEARLY believed that he was using the path of the Sith as a means to an end, rather than joining them because he believed in the cause of their leader. Because I HIGHLY doubt that he was going to leave Palpatine alive when all was said and done. Given this, it is more than reasonable to assume that he thought the Dark Side was nothing more than a tool he could use to achieve his ends, rendering anything that happened before irrelevant in the context of being a reason why NOT to do something. And with Qui-Gon dead, he no longer had anything to stand as a symbol of what he would/could be leaving behind in choosing the Sith path. What it all boils down to is that in a very real sense, Dooku felt he could CONTROL the Dark Side and what it was doing to him, to where he wouldn't lose his own self or reason. Obviously, he couldn't. Hmmm, where have we heard THAT before? o_O (coughUlicQel-DromacoughRevancoughAnakincoughLukecough... sorry, it seems like I suddenly have much more stuck in my throat than I thought...)

Not really. Though he did LIKE the fact that he felt he had more power through the Sith path (both in a physical sense as well as a functional sense), he wasn't at all dedicated to getting power for it's own sake. Rather, in the deepest part of his heart, it was all in the name of getting things he felt would never have been done otherwise done. Dark Rendevous basically spells this out for us.

Of course he didn't know about Order 66. Nor do I ever believe he would have approved of it if he had. He truly believed that the Order needed new guidance, and any necessary culling of whatever individuals would impede this "guidance" from being given. He certainly didn't believe in the wholesale extinction of the Jedi in any way, shape, or form.

Maybe not Dooku the CIS leader, no (though I would argue that they do have a few things in common even then). But the pre-fall Dooku? Certainly. He was always described (pre-fall) as being a political idealist (which is Padme's MO from the go), had become disillusioned in the ability of the Republic to enforce it's mandates and exert justice(THE reason why Padme didn't wait for the Republic to handle the invasion in TPM and instead took off on her own to resolve things herself), and constantly put the blame for all that was wrong with the Republic on the shoulders of corrupt officials and people who did nothing but submit to them (the very same sentiment channeled by Padme when she called for the no confidence vote on Valorum after she saw what he was unwilling/incapable of doing). Granted, Dooku and Padme took decidedly different actions and believed in different means to solve the problems they saw by the time of the Clone Wars, but I still get the distinct feeling that in the time before Dooku's fall, the two both took a look at the Republic and saw the very same problems in the very same light. Only thing is, one shortly decided that the only means left to them to solve the issue was to try and use the Sith path

3. Kynstar

Kynstar Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 2, 2004
    Hey yall! *dusts off the table and places fresh drinks*

Sorry I've been soooo not here, no internet and haven't been able to get in at work (until now [face_dancing] ) or been able to stop by the library due to having to pick up Alana (my lil 15 mth ole munchkin, yeah she's 15 mths now...amazing to me how time has flown!!) from the day care w/o having to pay late fees.

But I hope this connection I'm able to get thru works for a while so I can try to catch up here with this thread and all the stories I had been following. Wow...I only remember a few of the ones I was following. So here's a shout out to all the authors I had posted on their stories; please e-mail me stating there are updates and links to them. Let alone if you have any newbies that I might be interested in, please send me links to those too! [face_batting] I'd be soooo most appreciative!

Hope everybody has been well? Anybody getting Dooku fever for stories? Any ideas for new challenges?

I will play catch up and try to read thru the many pages I've missed and comment if I can. *crosses fingers in hopes the connection will be here tomorrow*

If I can't get back on, let me go ahead and mention that I hope everybody's holidays goes well and that everybody will be healthy and full of cheer (well it might not be fate for it to be as such, but I can hope though, right?)

Take care! I've sooo missed chit chatting with you all! :_|

P.S. Also, anybody who has written Dooku stories or stories with the Count in them, please post links and brief summary of the tale (with of course the author info too) here. There are already some mentioned in the earlier pages, so if you can't recall if you had done this already, just double check to see. Thanks again folks, can't wait to see'em!

Kynstar

4. G__Anakin

G__Anakin Jedi Master star 4

Apr 2, 2006
    Jedi Sith

This story has Dooku in it.

I haven't updated in a while, sorry.

5. ardavenport

Dec 16, 2004
    A Tale of Three Sith is on the Saga board. A little AU with Dooku and Maul being Sith at the same time.

6. Kynstar

Mar 2, 2004
    Thanks you two!

Any other folks wish to add their tales to the listing?

7. Persephone_Kore

Persephone_Kore Jedi Master star 4

Jan 19, 2006
    Oh, we can recommend other people's stories for the list? *perks*

Well, here are my own Dooku stories, to start. Mentioned a couple of them earlier, but I don't know that anybody else is more inclined to dig than I am....

Apprentice -- vignette on Dooku's fall; this is my take on how Qui-Gon's death influenced the decision, though I didn't adequately address the political aspects
    Guests -- odd little crossover in which Dooku tries to explain (or avoid explaining) Magneto and Piglet to Sidious
    Things That Never Happened to Dooku, Unfortunately -- with Dreagoddess -- in which I drag my long-term cowriter into Star Wars fanfic (not fandom -- she was there before I was). A fairly standard Five Things, in which we play with different AU split-points
    A Little Prickly -- with Dreagoddess -- a stranger and more developed AU in which Dooku is turned into a hedgehog (or possibly a Sevarcosan prickle-pig, thank you Mr. Stewart) and rescued from imminent stepping-on by Scout.
    And That's the Tooth -- Drea is sort of responsible for this one too; she didn't write it, but she did issue the challenge. Dooku and Qui-Gon find themselves at the dental practice of one Dr. Wonka and his very peculiar clientele.
    Thornwalk -- angstfic, with roses
    Lost Ones -- challenge response based on hyperspace madness. Dooku is trapped on a too-small ship with Anakin, and they have both been looking at hyperspace too long. Having just lost his hands, Dooku may have been a little delirious even without this.

And my current project with Dreagoddess is the posting of the Protégé series, an AU in which Dooku is training Anakin as a Jedi.
    Chosen -- Dooku steps in and announces he's training Anakin before Qui-Gon has a chance to, then invites himself to Naboo.
    Padawans -- Anakin and Dooku have some of their first interpersonal conflicts, and Anakin meets something unexpected while searching for his lightsaber crystal in the caves of Ilum.

8. Kynstar

Mar 2, 2004
    Thank you so much for the compiled listing! If anybody else would like to contribute to the Dooku fanfic listing, please add your story links!

Hope everybody is having a wonderful and safe holidays! :D Hope to see you all when the new year comes about! [face_love] [face_peace]

9. Kynstar

Mar 2, 2004
    Don't wish to double dip here, but a friend mentioned that there were a few more fics out there that had started up recently that have the Count in them. I don't want to paste the link here w/o the author's consent, so if any of the authors see this and would like to post a link to their story, please do so! Any fic that has Dooku in it, I'd be happy to have linked here!

[face_batting] @};-

10. Alexis_Wingstar

Alexis_Wingstar Jedi Master star 4

Sep 16, 2006
  11. CloneCaptainRex

CloneCaptainRex Jedi Master star 4

Aug 31, 2008
  12. ardavenport

Dec 16, 2004
    Oh, well if we're posting links to our Dooku fics.....these are mine from my Prolific author listing:

The Moment (11-May-2006. . .22-May-2006)
    - - During Qui-Gon's apprenticeship / Action
    - - Qui-Gon encounters nasal difficulties on a mission with his Master and fellow Jedi. Dooku, Qui-Gon, OCs.
    - - Complete 5-Post Story (approx: 8,230 words)

Great (19-Nov-2006)
    - - During Qui-Gon's and Obi-Wan's apprenticeship / Drama, Humor
    - - Qui-Gon has a great solution to a city's problem with sabotage. Dooku, Qui-Gon, Obi-Wan, OC.
    - - One-Post Story (approx: 1,300 words)

New Heights (16-Dec-2006)
    - - During Qui-Gon's apprenticeship / Drama
    - - Qui-Gon discovers something new about himself. Dooku, Qui-Gon.
    - - One-Post Story (approx: 1,430 words)

What Are You Smiling About? (30-Apr-2006)
    - - between Ep I and II, AU / Drama
    - - Qui-Gon looks for refuge when the Jedi Council denies his request to train Anakin. Qui-Gon, Dooku, Palpatine/Sidious.
    - - One-Post Story (approx: 1,700 words)

Scars of Discipline (19-May-2008)
    - - Post-TPM, AU / Drama
    - - Qui-Gon must decide on Anakin's training, between how he taught Obi-Wan and how his master taught him.
    - - One-Post Story (approx: 3,200 words)

Only a little Dooku in these:

Council of Change (26-Mar-2006. . . .28-Mar-2006)
    - - After Ep I, AU / Drama
    - - Qui-Gon on the Jedi Council. Qui-Gon, Obi-Wan, Dooku, Anakin, etc. Only a little bit of Dooku in the beginning
    - - Complete 2-Post Story (approx: 3,190 words)

The Heart of the Jedi (20-Jan-2007. . .28-Apr-2007)
    - - During Obi-Wan's apprenticeship, JA / Drama
    - - Master and Padawan both learn from each other and from the simple construction of a new lightsaber. Qui-Gon, Obi-Wan, Yoda, Jedi OCs. --- only a little bit of Dooku near the end in a vision.
    - - Complete 18-Post Story (approx: 33,700 words)

13. azizah

azizah Jedi Master star 1

Sep 4, 2006
    I have one, a WIP unfortunately :( Glory Days

azizah

14. Kynstar

Mar 2, 2004
    Thanks again folks for providing links to fics that have the Count (or Count to be) in them. My own tales are in my bio to be read :) Most of mine are about him (of course ;) [face_laugh])

Happy b'lated lifeday to Sir Christopher Lee! (The library near my home wasn't open yesterday so I wasn't able to slide in and post this) I truly hope his lifeday went well.

Hope everybody's weekend went well! [:D] Miss you guys!

15. Seremela

Seremela Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 12, 2008
    *persk up* Stories with Dooku in them!

I have him in this one, it's drama, with an OC and Dooku: The Winter's tale

And two stories in my Moments in a life vignettes feature him: the first story, Masters and padawans (humor) and the third one, Land and sea (drama, Dooku's POV).

16. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    I Stand in Shadows - vignette

Dooku also has a small role in two other stories of mine but I don't know if that is enough Dooku for this thread.

17. geo3

geo3 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 29, 2002
    I think it's fair to say that the Count has a role in Fortune's Gate... :p

18. Kynstar

Mar 2, 2004
    Yes geo3 he most certainly does! And I'm totally enjoying your take on the Count!

Once again, thanks so much folks for posting these links. It helps my fellow Dooku fans out on where to go for tales about him. Now I've got some reading to do! [face_dancing]

(It's plenty Valairy_Scot, thanks for adding the links [:D])

19. Seremela

Seremela Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 12, 2008
    I was wondering, is there a place with all the Dooku story links together, like the Qui-Gon story thread?

20. boady22

boady22 Jedi Master star 2

Mar 24, 2003
  21. Kynstar

Mar 2, 2004
    Seremela as soon as I get some extra time on my hands (not 100% sure when that'll be due to DRL) I'll compile the listings that have been posted throughout and plop it on a thread (if the mods will allow) and only use that thread for story links. :)

edit: Thanks for the link boady22! I'll too add yours upon my compilation when I get a chance to get'er done :D

22. hyperspace_police

hyperspace_police Jedi Master star 4

Jun 22, 2005
    Don't know if I ever slapped this linky up in here... But...

There is Dooku's Diary... (which is part of a different series thats link can be found in my bio...

Dooku's Diary

23. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
  24. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
  25. Kynstar

Mar 2, 2004
    Thank you for posting the links! :) I gotta check them out :) (was that a question or was that part of what the story entails?)

Anybody else have a Dooku tale out there? [face_batting]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.