main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The "Enlighten Me, Master!" Newbie's Lounge...

Discussion in 'Archive: Games: RPG & Miniatures' started by Mistress_Renata, Dec 6, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000
    I am sure there are many newbies like me who lurk through these boards, hoping to find an answer to the many rules that make up the RPG, but are too timid to post their questions.

It is true, there are those "holier than thou" rule snobs, who like to laugh at innocent questions, and mock the intelligence of the person asking them. If you are one of these, then just ignore this thread, since it is clearly below your intelligence, and not worth your attention.

If, however, you are an experienced player eager to welcome others to the game, who understands that new ideas and creativity come with the newbies, as well as interesting new gaming opportunities, then I hope you will stop in here from time to time and answer the questions that come up.

So: Newbies, please post questions here (no matter how dumb you think they are). Gamers, we welcome the benefit of your experience! :D

I have the first one, it is so simple, and yet it is simply not clear in the rules, so I hope you will all indulge me:

FIRST LEVEL LIGHTSABER DAMAGE

My group has played these rules exactly 4 times. The last game, everyone played Jedi for the first time. While rolling up the characters, we had trouble understanding the "Lightsaber Damage" entry on the class charts. It's listed as 0d8. Lightsabers are listed as showing 2d8. So: is the 0d8 IN ADDITION TO the 2d8, or IN LIEU OF the 2d8?

Thanks, all!

Renata

2. Jedi_Master_Mazzara

Jedi_Master_Mazzara Jedi Master star 4

Jan 5, 2001
    Miss Renata, I am Jedi Master Mazzara, I will help enlighten you until someone proves me wrong :p That 0d8 is in addition to the damage the lightsaber does. As you go up in levels as a Jedi, you gain +1d8, +2d8 etc. to the damage your lightsaber does. Your welcome, and this is not just to rack up more posts for EUDF, which reminds me to ask if anyone can send me the site address, I have been inactive for...a long time and lost the address thanks.

3. Jedi_Xen

Jedi_Xen Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 26, 2001
    Yes to Jedi Master Mazzara you listen. Obviously lightsabers will do damage, even if used by a non force user. When at the level it says 1d8, your lightsaber damage together is 3d8, and so on.

4. Moridin

Moridin RPG Author star 3 VIP

Apr 13, 1999
    Additionally, if you've encountered any anti-newbie hostility, then shame on those who do it! There's nothing wrong with being a newbie, and if you have any simple questions the veterans should be pleased to answer them. Helping a new generation of roleplayers into the game, that's what it's all about.

5. FlareStorm

FlareStorm Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 13, 2000
    This forum has been very welcoming and laid back, probably bacause its fairly small. No need to be too timid :)

6. Darth_Diehard

Darth_Diehard Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 23, 2001
    Can we talk about MMORPGS(Star Wars Galaxies, Everquest, Ultima:eek:nline, etc) here or is that exclusive to video games?

7. Mistress_Renata

Sep 9, 2000
    Thank you, O Masters! The fledglings and I are delighted to hear it. Should make the next game a LOT easier... :8) We weren't at all sure, so we all agreed that 1d8 would be the damage 'til we could figure it out... Worked pretty well 'til they ran into the scorpion droids...

8. Kier_Nimmion

Kier_Nimmion Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 9, 2000

Personally, with regards to the Jedi Guardian class, I would make 'Pilot' a Class Skill instead of a Cross-Class Skill. Since most of the Jedi Knights we have come across are inhumanly good at piloting, this only seems to make sense to me.

9. Mistress_Renata

Sep 9, 2000
    Most of my Jedi players took "Martial Arts" as a feat. I'm surprised that's not a class feat as well; stands to reason that unarmed combat might be part of the standard "escalation of response."

Still, I suppose if you gave Jedi every skill they seemed like they SHOULD have, none of the other characters would have an even chance...

But I think you can "do" Pilot untrained, so...

10. Jedi_Master_Mazzara

Jan 5, 2001
    A GM has absolute game control. There is no such thing as cheating for a GM. But game balance must be maintained. :) So if you ask me, it shouldn't be to hard to have your GM change a few class skills as a house rule, if you know what I mean ;)

11. Jedi_Xen

Sep 26, 2001
    Yeah GM's have the right for "house rules," I added 2 points for the Jedi Guardian everytime he gains a level. They get jipped pretty bad, they have regular skills and force skills to put stats in and only get 4+int mod per level. That really stinks when you have to put things under both Force and regular skills. To do this I had to add some game balance, where the JG got that other's got something else, they might get a cross-class skill they can use as a non cross-class skill, or something of the like.

12. Kyle_Kincade

Kyle_Kincade Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 10, 2001
    Well i hope some one can help me out here a bit 'coz i just wanted to ask if any one has any info on the Massassi of Yavin-4.
    'Coz basicly i made up this character for a RPG game i've been playing for a while and i kinda wrote in his Bio that he's half Massassi(his Father) and half Sith (his mother's father is a sith).Is this possible?

Kyle Kincade

13. Sith_GM

Sith_GM Jedi Youngling

Dec 9, 2001
    Kyle, what era is your half sith in?

14. Kyle_Kincade

Dec 10, 2001
    Well i guess as far as i know he's in the pre-empire around the time of Anakin's apprenticeship to then Master Obi-Wan Kenobi

15. FlareStorm

FlareStorm Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 13, 2000
    What do you mean by half-sith? In the beginning, the Sith were an actual race conquered by outcast Jedi. Sinse then they have become a name for the cult-like behavior of darksiders.

16. Jedi_Xen

Sep 26, 2001
    The Massassi have been extinct for 4,000 years by the time Anakin Skywalker was apprenticed to Obi-Wan. Unless Im badly mistaken, Exar Kun destroyed the race right before he died.

The Sith have been missing for thousands of years longer. Not since the beginning of the Golden Age of the Sith have any been seen.

An idea for you is to just make your character one race or another and have them come from some back water planet, long forgotten to the Republic, the Jedi, and even the Sith. And suddenly they appear, a mystery to all.

17. Jedi_Master_Mazzara

Jan 5, 2001
    I hate to break it to you. First thing, there is still one massassi left alive. Second thing, you get all that info in the Darkside Sourcebook, third thing is that (I think, which hurts, so it may not be right) is that Massassi and Sith are one in the same, except Massassi might have been altered Sith, I think, I am not entirely sure.

18. Fingorfin

Fingorfin Jedi Master star 4

Nov 7, 2001
    The Massassi were the warrior caste of Sith race. The ones that were left on Yavin IV are the primitive decendants of the warriors stranded there with Naga Sadow.

19. Jedi_Master_Mazzara

Jan 5, 2001
    Thanks fingorfin.

20. Kyle_Kincade

Dec 10, 2001
    Well thanks :) to all your responses to my querri it'll be a big help since i'm still a novice to all this and as i said this is a made-up character which i'm stil tweeking his History Bio and so far the only thing thats certain is he is partly decended from a sith and so far is developing some force ability like he'd had Force Grip and have taken two lives with it (Terrorist)but my GM had said is not yet crossed over to the darkside.
    But can i guess i can have him be decendent from a Massassi a sort or pre-clone experemental excapee(Father)and his mother's father was a sith apprentice who escaped from Yavin-4 .
    But if it's too far fetched can any of you suggest an alternative race?

Kyle Kincade

21. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    Actually the Massassi were the alchemically altered warrior-caste of the Sith, and in game terms, the Sith were a near-Human species.

22. Kyle_Kincade

Dec 10, 2001
    Well i'm still a novice to all this and have fairly little or basic background about the whole Star Wars Universe.So any assitance would be helpfull.
    So far i have his Bio as follows...
    He'd grew up as a boy in Tattoine Slave camp with a vage memory of his parents ( that they died after a supprise slave camp raid.)and was last owned by a low ranking Hutt who lost him to a Honugur named Byrod (Smuggler)who seeing he's potential and skill as a Scout freed,trained and took him as his Mechanic/Scout.
    And a year before their last mission together
    he was given a k-9 droid named 'Sparks',which while he was cleaning he'd came across a secret panell where he 'd found a double sided staff(something like Darth Mauls weapon),Badly beaten up barely working.He tried to salvage what he could and modified it so as it became a two sided staff instead.And when Byrod found out about it was visible distraugt about it and was about to tell him something when a urgent shipment came so he'd promiss later but wasn't able to 'coz he'd died before they could compleat the mission.

Kyle Kincade :\

23. Sith_GM

Sith_GM Jedi Youngling

Dec 9, 2001
    Does anyone have any sketches of sith out there? I just wonder how they differ from humans. I also would like anyone who knows about novels or comics to recomend any to me for more info on the sith and the pre Darth Bane era.( or post Bane now that I think of it.)

24. Fingorfin

Fingorfin Jedi Master star 4

Nov 7, 2001
    For ingormation on the Sith race, read Golden Age of the Sith and Fall of the Sith Empire for Dark Horse's Tales of the Jedi series. For information on the Sith "cult" try Dark Lords of the Sith and The Sith War. All of these are great stories that deal directly with the issues that you seem to be interested in. All of the TOTJ comics deal with the Sith in some form or other and are worth reading.
    The DSSB has a picture of Naga Sadow, one of the original Sith, on page 70.

25. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    For pictures of the Sith species, check out the Golden Age of the Sith and Fall of the Sith Empire. Also, as stated previously, there's a good pic. of Sith Lord Naga Sadow. I think GAotS is out in trade paperback from Dark Horse Comics.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.