main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The "Enlighten Me, Master!" Newbie's Lounge...

Discussion in 'Archive: Games: RPG & Miniatures' started by Mistress_Renata, Dec 6, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Crimson_Jedi_Knight

Crimson_Jedi_Knight Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 21, 2001
    So far in the d20 system there is only stats in the Darkside Book, but there are rumors of more to come. In the d6 system there was a very little in a compion book to TotJ.
    Any more questions, I'd love to help?

2. Crimson_Jedi_Knight

Feb 21, 2001
    I'm keeping this alive because it is important to have this here. It does really help to have 'older' players help newbies.

3. FlareStorm

FlareStorm Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 13, 2000
    Here's a dumb question:

What's the status of Black Sun in the Rise of the Empire Era? Are they a galaxy-wide group like they are in Shadows of the Empire? I heard that there was a comic where Darth Maul beat them up or something, but I will never see it. So, can someone give a rundown on Black Sun in that era?

4. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    In the Rise of the Empire Era, Darth Sidious decided to sic his apprentice Darth Maul on them, and he killed their entire command structure. They spent the next couple of decades recovering, and Xizor came out on top.

5. Kier_Nimmion

Kier_Nimmion Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 9, 2000

What happened after Shadows (having never read it), did Black Sun survive?

6. FlareStorm

Nov 13, 2000
    I recall Rogue Squadron working with some of the Vigos of Black Sun while freeing Coruscant. Its safe to assume that Black Sun isn't nearly as powerful as they once were.

7. Crimson_Jedi_Knight

Feb 21, 2001
    They also faced off with the Solo twins during the Young Jedi Knights series,

8. Kier_Nimmion

Aug 9, 2000

Right! I forgot about the Rogues working with them.

9. Darth_Talb

Darth_Talb Jedi Youngling

Dec 22, 2001
    I'm making a Rise-of-the-Empire era campaign, and I wanted to make a pirate gang that the heroes continously run afoul of. Anyway, I have a few questions about the Rise-of-the-Empire era.

1. Are the Mon Calamari a valid race to use? I've heard from some sources that they weren't discovered until the Rebellion era, but several characters in this time period speak Calamari.

2. Is Soro-Suub in existence during the Rise of the Empire era? Its not really important, but if it isn't, could you give me another large (star ship producing) company. I need the pirates to steal the designs of a fighter ship, it doesn't really matter where from.

3. What is a common-place fighter used during the RotE era?

4. Are there any major differences between the technology of the RotE era and the Rebellion era?

Thanks in advance for any help I get :D

10. Kier_Nimmion

Aug 9, 2000
    I'm making a Rise-of-the-Empire era campaign, and I wanted to make a pirate gang that the heroes continously run afoul of. Anyway, I have a few questions about the Rise-of-the-Empire era.

Sounds like fun.

1. Are the Mon Calamari a valid race to use? I've heard from some sources that they weren't discovered until the Rebellion era, but several characters in this time period speak Calamari.

I have heard this also, but don't forget that Ackbar was Tarkin's slave. I would say that they were around- we saw a Quarren in Episode I, and the Calamari had advance starship construction, so yeah, I'd say they were around.

2. Is Soro-Suub in existence during the Rise of the Empire era? Its not really important, but if it isn't, could you give me another large (star ship producing) company. I need the pirates to steal the designs of a fighter ship, it doesn't really matter where from.

Yes, they were around.

Sienar Fleet Systems
    Kuat Drive Yards
    Rendili Star Drive
    Core Galaxy Systems
    Corellia StarDrive
    Corellian Engineering Corporation
    Cygnus Spaceworks
    Damorian Manufacturing Corporation
    Hoersch-Kessel Drive Inc
    Incom Corporation
    Koensayr
    Kuat Systems Engineer
    MandallMotors
    Mon Calamari
    Pantolomin Shipwrights
    SedriMotors Ltd
    Slayn & Korpil
    Subpro Corporation
    Surronian
    Tenloss Syndicate
    TransGalMeg Industries
    Trilon, Inc
    Ubrikkian

3. What is a common-place fighter used during the RotE era?

Z-95 Headhunter
    Naboo N-1 Starfighter
    Whatever the Jedi Starfighter is
    Y-wing
    X-wing (basic T-65)

4. Are there any major differences between the technology of the RotE era and the Rebellion era?

Almost none.

Thanks in advance for any help I get

You're welcome.

11. Lunckbox

Lunckbox Jedi Youngling

Jan 2, 2002
    does anybody have anybody know of and web sites that have GM helps on them such as a map maker and radom npc gen.? i know that WotC has some but i need a good dice program to 'cuse mine got lots when i moved and i can't get a new set just yet, thanx -just another newbie!- 8)

12. Kier_Nimmion

Aug 9, 2000

Do a search on Google for a program called 'Campaign Cartographer' it's mainly for fantasy stuff, but it should work in a pinch. Also trying searching for key words like 'map making' or 'random map generation'. I used to have these nifty little programs that would do great stuff, like even generating grid and hex paper to print out, but my system crashed a few months ago and I haven't bothered to replace them. If I do locate anything useful, I'll let you know.

13. Darth_Talb

Darth_Talb Jedi Youngling

Dec 22, 2001
    thanks kier

14. Kenobi217

Kenobi217 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 7, 2002
    Ok..I'm interested in Star Wars RPGing...

Where do I start? What kind of games would you reccommend for a beginner?

And also..

Is it possible to play alone? (not too many RPG enthusiasts around here)

Is it anything like D&D? (Tried for a little bit, got tired, don't play it really anymore)

Are the rules overly complicated? Are there a lot of them?

Again,[most of] these are very broad questions, nothing very specific, and some broad tips would help (websites, books, etc.), or just a basic rundown of the rules.

Thanks everyone.

15. Fingorfin

Fingorfin Jedi Master star 4

Nov 7, 2001
    If you are new to RPing, I would recomend the Invasion of Theed mini game that was released as an introduction to the d20 RPG; if you already have some familiarity with gaming you can start with the core book, it has every thing that you need to know to get started. The basic rules system is the same as 3rd edition D&D (don't know if you played 2nd or 3rd ed.) and is not very complacated.
    If you have trouble finding others to play try going to a local comics shop. Many of them have message boards where you can post "looking for gamers" messages which usually get some response.

16. Crimson_Jedi_Knight

Feb 21, 2001
    Keir: the X-wing was not availble in Rise of the Empire era.

17. Kier_Nimmion

Aug 9, 2000

CJK: PPOR?

18. Kier_Nimmion

Aug 9, 2000

It has long been established that the X-wings used in the Battle of Yavin were old to begin with. Since the rise of the Empire is only a period of about 4 years (Episode II is 22 BBY, and no concrete info on when Episode III takes place, 'when' the Empire stops 'rising' and is 'established' is pretty murky right now). I don't see why they can't be available during this period- they'll just be brand spanking new.

[...]

"...after President Palpatine took the title of Emperor and before he had solidified his hold on the Navy. During those months, literally thousands of pilots went "underground" and joined the Rebellion..."

"A notable addition to the Alliance space forces was gained when the entire senior design staff of Incom Corporation defected to the Alliance, taking with them the plans and prototype models for the X-Wing starfighter...."

pp. 69, Rebel Alliance Sourcebook (West End Games)

"Since the Rebellion began, the X-wing fighter has come to symbolize the Alliance's military strategy..."

pp. 86, Rebel Alliance Sourcebook (West End Games)

And the Rebellion began almost immediately after Palpatine siezed power.

19. FlareStorm

Nov 13, 2000
    However, sources say (don't remember which) that the entire Incom corp defected to the Rebellion with their X-Wings. This implies that the Rebellion and Empire were in full swing.

20. Crimson_Jedi_Knight

Feb 21, 2001
    Thanks flarestorm. Anyway I don't remember where but there was something about the TIE fighter kicking allance butt until the developement of the X-Wing.

21. Lunckbox

Lunckbox Jedi Youngling

Jan 2, 2002
    Does anybody know where i can find a deck plan for a YT-2400? or deck plans for any other ships?
    TGFNL!!

22. JJGianunzio

JJGianunzio Jedi Youngling

Oct 19, 2001
    Check here Mistress Renata

http://www.synicon.com.au/sw/or/outrider.htm

I found this site a while ago, It's pretty cool. I think there may be some other plans of other ships here also, just go back to the main menu and look around.

23. Kier_Nimmion

Aug 9, 2000

Anyway I don't remember where but there was something about the TIE fighter kicking allance butt until the developement of the X-Wing.

You are actually right- the TIEs came first- Remember the very first X-wing game?

24. Lunckbox

Lunckbox Jedi Youngling

Jan 2, 2002
  25. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    Actually, I'm running an "Infinities" Rebellion-era campaign right now. The nacsent rebellion (they're not yet a Rebel Alliance) is looking high & low for the InCom CEO & senior design staff. The best that the rebel cells can put into space are Y-wings & Z-95 Headhunters, and they've been getting the living crap beaten out of them.

Something I noticed when reading the RESB & the EG to Starships is that there was a time lag between when the InCom staff bailed and when they threw their lot in with the Rebellion. Apparently, the "leak" (likely provided by rival Sienar Fleet Systems) that InCom was pro-Rebel became a self-fulfilling prophesy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.