main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The "Enlighten Me, Master!" Newbie's Lounge...

Discussion in 'Archive: Games: RPG & Miniatures' started by Mistress_Renata, Dec 6, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ben Kenobi

Ben Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 27, 2000
    OK, I know where to get the book, now I just need some friends... :p Thanks, Crimson, I'll see about it.

2. Jedi_Master_Lennier

Jedi_Master_Lennier Jedi Youngling

Dec 30, 2001
    If I was making a Bothan spy I would probably go for the Scoudrel, at least to start with. The Bluff, Disguise, Forgery and Gather Information skills sound useful to me. That`s just off the top of my head, other classes or prestige classes may suit better.

3. Crimson_Jedi_Knight

Crimson_Jedi_Knight Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 21, 2001
    Bothan spies are in the Rebelion Era book.

4. Jedi_Hope

Jedi_Hope Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 28, 2002
    I'm new and waited for the RCR, but I have a question, is there a limit on how many languages a charachter can speak or read/wright at the start of a game[lev.1]?

5. Fingorfin

Fingorfin Jedi Master star 4

Nov 7, 2001
    All characters speak Basic and their native language. (Except species like Wookies that are incapable of speaking Basic, although they can understand it) The amount of additional languages that your character may learn is equal to his INT modifier.

6. Crimson_Jedi_Knight

Feb 21, 2001
    No, actually that is how many bonus languages he/she gets. Speaking and Read/Write are skills and may be purchased as such. There for it depends on how many you would like to spend ranks on.

7. Fingorfin

Nov 7, 2001
    That is true. I always forget about that because my players conspire with each other when creating characters. They find out who is buying what language to make sure that they do not repeat. They usually end up with every major language that way without having to spend skill points.

8. Crimson_Jedi_Knight

Feb 21, 2001
    You know what to do when that happens, you seperate them and then use languages that another character knows. It will make them think twice about trying that again. I mean I can understand if there is a wookie in the group and someone takes the language to understand him, but covering the spread is just asking for a GM to mess with you.

9. Fingorfin

Nov 7, 2001
    I do, and they refuse to learn. Oh well, not my problem. [face_devil]

10. Mercilor

Mercilor Jedi Youngling

Apr 11, 2002
    I've never played a RPG before (apart from MUDs/MMORGPS/etc). I'm interested in getting into SW RPGing. Anyway, here's the question:

I'm aware of both the d6 WEG system and the d20 WotC systems (current and soon-to-be-released). Personally, which do you prefer? As in, would you recommend I get the WEG stuff or wait for the WotC stuff in May?

Thanks in advance =)

11. Go-Get Beer

Go-Get Beer Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 11, 2000
    I've played the WEG system and have my share of sourcebooks and personally believe that the d6 system is both easier and more flexible than the d20. Having said that I must confess that I have every sourcebook for the WotC system and find them quite attractive. I am currently GMing a campaign in the d20 system and I've had no complaints.

12. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    Personally, I prefer the d20 system over the d6 system, not-so-affectionately referred to as "bucket o' dice."

13. Crimson_Jedi_Knight

Feb 21, 2001
    I prefer the d6 system. But I play both even though the d20 system is a little behind the curve on editing.

14. Jedi_Hope

Jedi_Hope Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 28, 2002
    okay, my char is a human who got left in an ancient library when he was young so he learned alot. any way I'd be able to incorporate that?

15. Crimson_Jedi_Knight

Feb 21, 2001
    Lots of ranks in differet Knowledge skills.

16. Mercilor

Mercilor Jedi Youngling

Apr 11, 2002
    Thanks for the advice guys, bought the WEG book...should get it in the mail in a few days =)

If I like it I'll probably be buying the new WotC core book in May as well...

...now just to find people in my area who play it...went to the 2 local comic/RPG shops but everyone there was playing AD&D, warhammer, and werewolf...none of them knew anyting about the WEG star wars =/

17. Crimson_Jedi_Knight

Feb 21, 2001
    Well, most people won't know much about WEG StarWars.

18. Lordban

Lordban Isildur's Bane star 7

Nov 9, 2000
    It's sadly "out-of-fashion" now that it's no longer the "official" SW RPG.

19. Crimson_Jedi_Knight

Feb 21, 2001
    I still buy as much of WEG as I can find.

20. Kier_Nimmion

Kier_Nimmion Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 9, 2000

Personally, I prefer the d20 system over the d6 system, not-so-affectionately referred to as "bucket o' dice."

Agreed. I also found the d6 system lacking in anything approaching the heroism it's supposed to emulate.

21. OBI-WANS_ANGEL

OBI-WANS_ANGEL Jedi Youngling

Mar 9, 2002
    Hi, I'm new to these boards but not new to Fanforce.net.
    I'm a really experianced rper and have been apart of Starwars.com boards for the longest time. I gave up my high position there because well....they're going to hell and back...what can I say.

So, Hi everyone and may the force be with you.

22. Lordban

Lordban Isildur's Bane star 7

Nov 9, 2000
    Hi, and welcome ! :)

23. Crimson_Jedi_Knight

Feb 21, 2001
    Keir is that because of a bad experiance or in general?

24. DarkTreader

DarkTreader Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 22, 2002
    I've never played the d6 system (WEG style), but I _HAVE_ played White Wolf's d6 system.... an god is THAT a hassle!

Having to roll 17 dice on an attack roll is just ... yeesh. 1 nice d20, 1 nice damage die... SO MUCH EASIER!

25. Crimson_Jedi_Knight

Feb 21, 2001
    So I take it falling to the Dark Side would be what you'd do if you were a force-user.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.