main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The "Enlighten Me, Master!" Newbie's Lounge...

Discussion in 'Archive: Games: RPG & Miniatures' started by Mistress_Renata, Dec 6, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi_Hope

Jedi_Hope Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 28, 2002
    how many DSP does it take for a person to compleately fall to the Darkside? I have one.

2. Fingorfin

Fingorfin Jedi Master star 4

Nov 7, 2001
    When your character's DSPs equal half your Wisdom the character is tainted and must make as WIS check of DC 10 + number of DSPs to avoid falling to the Dark Side. If check fails or DSPs equal or exceed your WIS, the character is lost to the Dark Side.

3. Lone__Gunman

Lone__Gunman Jedi Youngling

Apr 30, 2002
    Ok, the WOTC fairy finally brought my
    Revised Rulebook. But I still have questions, chief among them: what are the qualifications for attacking more than once (particularly with a melee weapon, since some blasters simply have autofire). The book makes mention of being strong enough, and then goes on to refer to it as 'some people can attack more than once...' That's good, book. But which people?

4. Lone__Gunman

Apr 30, 2002
    Ok, the WOTC fairy finally brought my
    Revised Rulebook. But I still have questions, chief among them: what are the qualifications for attacking more than once (particularly with a melee weapon, since some blasters simply have autofire). The book makes mention of being strong enough, and then goes on to refer to it as 'some people can attack more than once...' That's good, book. But which people?

5. Lone__Gunman

Apr 30, 2002
    What are the qualifications for a character attacking twice (or more) in combat with a weapon, particularly a melee weapon?
    The book mentions there being a strength level for attacking more than once, but doesn't seem to give a number. I know blasters have multifire, but what about melee? Thanks!

6. Serona

Serona Jedi Youngling star 1

May 7, 2002
    Ok,
    how about another really basic question from a budding gamer:

1) What are the guidelines for determining DC for any given action attempt(but not explicitely listed in the core rule book)?

e.g. characters want to sneak into a locked building so must attempt something like slice, sneak, hide, walk quietly, etc. I assume all of these are done squentially but how does the GM decide how hard the lock is to slice? or how hard it is to sneak into the building (vs a guard's listen check etc). etc. etc.

7. JediWeaponMaster

JediWeaponMaster Jedi Youngling

May 17, 2002
    Serona if you look in the skills section of the RCRB you will see guide lines for DC...I don't have mine handy but I believe they go something like this

DC 5 - Easy
    DC 10 - moderate
    DC 15 - Difficult

etc....

8. Serona

Serona Jedi Youngling star 1

May 7, 2002
    Thanks for the response.

So, if I understand correctly, it really is up to the GM to decide if a task is easy, moderate, or difficult and that gives the base DC, right?

What is the difference between rolling against a DC for a task and performing a skill check agianst an opponents counter check? Are these sometimes interchangable or do checks stack on DC's? How does that work?

9. Fingorfin

Nov 7, 2001
    Yes, it is up to the GM to determine how difficult it is to pick a lock or hack a computer. If the challenge is static then a check is made against a set DC, but if the task is something that an opponent would have a chance at foiling, opposed checks are made.
    EX: When setting a course through hyperspace, a check is made against a DC determined by the chart in the book. This is a static challenge; there is no chance that the computer would try to prevent the characters from plotting a course.
    If the character is trying to sneak past a guard, he makes a move silently roll, which is opposed by the guard?s listen check, because there is a chance that the guard will hear the player and attempt to stop him.

Lone__Gunman, characters gain an additional attack when their base attack bonus reaches +6. Before this, they can still make multiple attacks with weapons that have multifire but the penalties are severe. Of course taking certain feats can alleviate such penalties.

10. Crimson_Jedi_Knight

Crimson_Jedi_Knight Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 21, 2001
    Nice explination Fingorfin.

Anymore questions?

11. the_jedi_hope

the_jedi_hope Jedi Youngling

May 26, 2002
    One of my players, [we take turns GMing] wants to be a yoda spiecies. What do I tell him?

12. Fingorfin

Nov 7, 2001
    Ouch.
    The best thing I can think of for that situation, if you are willing to let him do it, is to make up some home brew rules for the species that has no name.

13. Lone__Gunman

Apr 30, 2002
    Perhaps I'm just blind, but I cannot find the class bonuses for defense in the revised rulebook. If someone can either tell me what those bonuses are or which page they can be found on, I'll be eternally grateful. Thanks in advance.

14. Fingorfin

Nov 7, 2001
    Same place it was in the old book, seventh column on the chart for each character class.

15. Lunckbox

Lunckbox Jedi Youngling

Jan 2, 2002
    I have a Q. i can remember reading somewhere that a person could change the transponder code on their ship , but is there any other way to id a ship aside from phyicsal looks and transponder code?

16. Crimson_Jedi_Knight

Feb 21, 2001
    Yes, by the ion exhaust from the engines. That info though is normally only in records and registration of the orignal sale though.

17. Kyle_Kincade

Kyle_Kincade Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 10, 2001
    Well i just wanted to ask anyone if you can explain how do you use and roll for Skill?And are there any limit on how many skills you can use at one time/post?

Kyle Kincade

18. Fingorfin

Nov 7, 2001
    You find a skill that your character has that is applicable to the situation, roll d20 add skill modifiers to the result and compare the sum to the DC that your GM sets.
    You can only use one skill at a time although there are some situations where you can get a bonus if you have ranks in a skill that complements the one your are using.

19. Crimson_Jedi_Knight

Feb 21, 2001
  20. Kyle_Kincade

Dec 10, 2001
    Well ok so but then i don't have a d20 dice and usually use 2 normal 6 sided dice.

Kyle Kincade

21. Fingorfin

Nov 7, 2001
    You really need to get a d20. And d4, d8, 2d10 and you might as well get a d12 while you are at it.

22. Lunckbox

Lunckbox Jedi Youngling

Jan 2, 2002
    Thanx Crimsion Jedi Knight!!

23. Kyle_Kincade

Dec 10, 2001
    Oh so ther are other types of dices aside from the d20 huh? but then again i just barly begun playing this sort of game and still learing about all this stuff and don't have much resources yet to really go and play fulltime and is just a hobby for me right now so do you have any suggestion or help on how i can get info on rules and stuff about SW RPGS aside from the book 'coz it would sure help as i really don't know anything or little about it and just as i said just started 'bout fairly recently.

Kyle Kincade

24. Fingorfin

Nov 7, 2001
    Every gamer needs a full set of dice. Once you have been sucked into our world, you will begin to notice the difference between our good dice and your bad dice.

The main book has everything else that you need to get started. What aspects do you need clarified?

25. Crimson_Jedi_Knight

Feb 21, 2001
    You're welcome lunchbox.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.