main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Episode II Script is HERE

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by Darth Brat, Nov 5, 1999.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth Brat

Darth Brat Jedi Youngling

May 7, 2000
    Here's a comment by an admin that disturbed me:

This forum is about discussion. If someone posts an idea, everyone is free to disagree with that idea if they so chose. They are free even to make fun of that idea, as long as they do not personally flame the poster. In return, the original poster is free to defend their ideas in any ways they want except personal attack.

This is essentially saying that making fun of a posters idea is ok. WTH? Is that not the worst of personal attacks? Disagreeing with an idea I understand. That's how you debate or discuss. But making fun of another's ideals? Is this JC.N policy?

2. JediMasterAlpha

JediMasterAlpha Jedi Grand Master star 3

Oct 7, 1999
    Here's a comment by an admin that disturbed me:

This forum is about discussion. If someone posts an idea, everyone is free to disagree with that idea if they so chose. They are free even to make fun of that idea, as long as they do not personally flame the poster. In return, the original poster is free to defend their ideas in any ways they want except personal attack.

This is essentially saying that making fun of a posters idea is ok. WTH? Is that not the worst of personal attacks? Disagreeing with an idea I understand. That's how you debate or discuss. But making fun of another's ideals? Is this JC.N policy?

3. Ton Phanan

Ton Phanan Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 12, 1999
    That's the stupidest post I've ever seen.

4. Ton Phanan

Feb 12, 1999
    That's the stupidest post I've ever seen.

5. FreeBeer.com

FreeBeer.com Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 21, 1999
    See Ton can get away with that but I can't say: Gee Ton, picking on someone else is so typical of your assinine personality. The only reason you do things like that is because you suck!That would be way out of line.

I hope this little example of the policies in action was a big help.

6. FreeBeer.com

Mar 21, 1999
    See Ton can get away with that but I can't say: Gee Ton, picking on someone else is so typical of your assinine personality. The only reason you do things like that is because you suck!That would be way out of line.

I hope this little example of the policies in action was a big help.

7. Ton Phanan

Feb 12, 1999
    That would be way out of line.

Even though it's true.

8. Ton Phanan

Feb 12, 1999
    That would be way out of line.

Even though it's true.

9. NiceGuy

NiceGuy Jedi Master star 1

Feb 6, 1999
    Yes, it is important to remember that what is true doesn't matter. Only appearances.

10. NiceGuy

NiceGuy Jedi Master star 1

Feb 6, 1999
    Yes, it is important to remember that what is true doesn't matter. Only appearances.

11. Chyren

Chyren Manager Emeritus star 5

Sep 30, 1998
    I think most people know what the deal is with this.

Suppose I post "Amidala is Palpatine's long lost daughter! I have proof!" and have a dodgy theory to back it up.

Someone might reply "That's the dumbest freakin' post I've ever read. That sounds totally confused. How did you come up with that? It doesn't make any sense, and here's why.."

- While a bit blunt, this post does not flame a person, it flames an idea.
    If you've got any brains you will of course have intelligent, thought-out reasons why you think the idea sucks, but you can still say it sucks - intelligently!

But if someone posted "You are a total moron. Only a dumb-bum would come up with this drivel. Get a life you loser."

- That of course would be totally out of order and would bring on the Imperial March of the admins, because it's a personal flame.

Basically my view is that in a discussion, and when humans exchange ideas, people can get passionate. That's not a bad thing in itself - it's when discussion of the actual issue gets replaced by extended flame-war and personal attack that it becomes wrong.

The line between the two is perfectly clear: it's when an argument goes from discussing ideas to abusing people. Everyone knows when this starts to happen. If they don't, others will point it out.

Of course, if someone just repeatedly posts retarded things like "your idea sucks" without an intelligent reason why, well then they're just being a nuisance and will be told to stop.

You shouldn't take the passion out of discourse, but you can sure do without petty personal maliciousness. Sarcasm may be the lowest form of wit, but it sure can liven up a debate. I for one don't want to see all the energy sucked out of discussions, it's just we must know what the boundaries are.

Hope this makes sense. This is my personal view of the matter.

12. Chyren

Sep 30, 1998
    I think most people know what the deal is with this.

Suppose I post "Amidala is Palpatine's long lost daughter! I have proof!" and have a dodgy theory to back it up.

Someone might reply "That's the dumbest freakin' post I've ever read. That sounds totally confused. How did you come up with that? It doesn't make any sense, and here's why.."

- While a bit blunt, this post does not flame a person, it flames an idea.
    If you've got any brains you will of course have intelligent, thought-out reasons why you think the idea sucks, but you can still say it sucks - intelligently!

But if someone posted "You are a total moron. Only a dumb-bum would come up with this drivel. Get a life you loser."

- That of course would be totally out of order and would bring on the Imperial March of the admins, because it's a personal flame.

Basically my view is that in a discussion, and when humans exchange ideas, people can get passionate. That's not a bad thing in itself - it's when discussion of the actual issue gets replaced by extended flame-war and personal attack that it becomes wrong.

The line between the two is perfectly clear: it's when an argument goes from discussing ideas to abusing people. Everyone knows when this starts to happen. If they don't, others will point it out.

Of course, if someone just repeatedly posts retarded things like "your idea sucks" without an intelligent reason why, well then they're just being a nuisance and will be told to stop.

You shouldn't take the passion out of discourse, but you can sure do without petty personal maliciousness. Sarcasm may be the lowest form of wit, but it sure can liven up a debate. I for one don't want to see all the energy sucked out of discussions, it's just we must know what the boundaries are.

Hope this makes sense. This is my personal view of the matter.

13. Chyren

Sep 30, 1998
    And while I'm on the subject - this brings up the issue of squelching other people's beliefs.

On the face of it there is no problem with people debating heatedly the subject of, say, politics, and disagreeing strongly and passionately.
    There IS a problem when someone comes in and tries to crush other people's personal values - to deny them the right to have these values and even condemn them by it.
    Again - this distinction should be crystal clear.

You can disagree with someone on the subject of politics - and have your own reasons why you do and express them - but when you deny other people's right to their beliefs you have crossed the line.

Again, this is the way I see it. All input is welcome.

14. Chyren

Sep 30, 1998
    And while I'm on the subject - this brings up the issue of squelching other people's beliefs.

On the face of it there is no problem with people debating heatedly the subject of, say, politics, and disagreeing strongly and passionately.
    There IS a problem when someone comes in and tries to crush other people's personal values - to deny them the right to have these values and even condemn them by it.
    Again - this distinction should be crystal clear.

You can disagree with someone on the subject of politics - and have your own reasons why you do and express them - but when you deny other people's right to their beliefs you have crossed the line.

Again, this is the way I see it. All input is welcome.

15. FreeBeer.com

Mar 21, 1999
    Chyren sucks.

16. FreeBeer.com

Mar 21, 1999
    Chyren sucks.

17. Captain Antilles

Captain Antilles Moderator Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 26, 1998
    Freebeer.com lies like a motherless goat

18. Captain Antilles

Captain Antilles Moderator Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 26, 1998
    Freebeer.com lies like a motherless goat

19. FreeBeer.com

Mar 21, 1999
  20. FreeBeer.com

Mar 21, 1999
  21. gundark

gundark Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 16, 1999
    Sounds like FreeBeer's bedroom in here...

22. gundark

gundark Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 16, 1999
    Sounds like FreeBeer's bedroom in here...

23. Look_Sir_Droids

Look_Sir_Droids Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 14, 1999
    You forgot the sound of beer cans opening.

24. Look_Sir_Droids

Look_Sir_Droids Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 14, 1999
    You forgot the sound of beer cans opening.

25. NIGHTxRIDER

NIGHTxRIDER Jedi Youngling

Nov 4, 1999
    So that is why TruaAnikans "Is Anikin really Darth Vador?" still up, huh. Cause besides a few persona attacks, and the author not replying, everyone is trying to figure out if the freak is serious or not. Velly intelesting.

"THE MAN WHO LAUGHS"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.