main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A/V The EPISODE IX - Rise of Skywalker - Thread - Untagged Spoilers Allowed!

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Ghost, Mar 1, 2018.

1. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    I don't think a thread has been created yet for Episode 9, so let's begin one!

Here's an article on why Colin Trevorrow might have been fired... arguing for Luke and Snoke to not die in TLJ due to his plans for them in IX:

https://www.flickeringmyth.com/2018...-wars-episode-ix-due-disagreements-last-jedi/

This one is Daisy Ridley saying JJ Abrams wrote drafts for 8 and 9, but Rian Johnson made a lot of changes to 8:
    https://www.starwarsnewsnet.com/2018/03/daisy-ridley-says-j-j-abrams-wrote-story-drafts-for-star-wars-episodes-viii-ix

Last edited: Mar 1, 2018
  2. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    I think it was good for Snoke to do. I also think it is best for Luke too.

3. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    I'm gonna go with Bantha Poodoo on this one. The site isn't exactly reputable, and my best bet would be that they're just trying to drum up clicks.

BigAl6ft6 and darklordoftech like this.
  4. Coherent Axe

Coherent Axe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2016
    And the original rumour comes from Reddit. Checking the user's post history shows they're decidedly not a fan of TLJ or Rian, so that bias could well factor in to their "wild rumour".

BigAl6ft6 and Outsourced like this.
  5. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Domhall Gleeson has the inside scoop

I'm hoping the film is called Star Wars: General Hux's Big Time Jamboree

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  6. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006
    It's.

Time.

For.

Billy Dee.

To Come.

Back.

He should have answered the call that the Resistance put out in Episode VIII and shown up at the end to rescue them all from Krayt. But better late than never.

7. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    I could see Lando not being in TFA, and sort of how he couldn't get into TLJ (but it's more than likely he should have been in there somewhere) so Episode IX definitely should be when Lando shows up. Also with Han/Luke/Leia all having joined the Force (Leia not confirmed but likely she won't be alive for IX) you need another big name from the OT to be there.

Also if this movie doesn't have a time skip from the end of TLJ, I would be shocked. TFA is literally a cliffhanger that basically demands to be taken up from that moment but, since the First Order is going to lose, Abrams will probably need/want some in-universe space to build up The Resistance from, like, 8 people again.

What's interesting izzat this will be the first ST film to basically carry itself almost entirely on the strength of the new characters, Poe, Rey, Finn, Kylo, etc. due to the OT characters having passed on, so this is full bore having these folks carry their own film entirely.

As from Lando. I mean, he has to be in it this time!

Last edited: Mar 1, 2018
    ObiWanKnowsMe likes this.
  8. Hamburger_Time

Hamburger_Time Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 13, 2010
    Hasn't Hamill said he WILL be in Ep. IX, presumably as a Force Ghost?

9. Shadowrain10

Shadowrain10 Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 12, 2017
    I've heard Kevin's take on both 8 and 9 before, and honestly, I feel like it would be a bit too much fan service. I enjoyed 8 and thought that the ending was meaningful and powerful. Honestly, I'm really looking forward to 9.

ObiWanKnowsMe and jSarek like this.
  10. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006
    Also, here's to hoping that Abrams doesn't re-make Return of the Jedi by giving the First Order another Starkiller Base.

If he really wanted to remake ROTJ he could fill the first half hour with our heroes rescuing Luke from the Netherworld of the Force. ... But the Netherworld is filled with muppets.

DelRiego, revan772, WMIRTUTSF and 3 others like this.
  11. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    I'd be Cash Money Abrams isn't going to do SKB II. Not a LOT, mind you, but Abrams has heard literally years of people saying he just stole stuff from other Star Wars movies so I doubt he's going to go full ROTJ remake and resurrect Snoke for an SKBII throne room confrontation.

Revanfan1 and Vthuil like this.
  12. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    Did someone official have to start the movie thread? Well, whatever. I wonder when they'll start the advertising, probably around mid-2019 at the latest, maybe even this year Thanksgiving. And the novelization and comic won't be out until 2020 at least.

I'd rather they leave Lando out, I don't want to see him return just to die. Before that, I just hope they come up with something meaningful for Finn and Poe to do. Or just outright demote them to extras, I'm not looking forward to another two-hour long film. The big fleet battle had better be epic, and I don't just mean more lens flare, that doesn't count.

13. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Why? So they can kill him off too?

Changing tack, currently, my thinking on Ep IX is probably similar to @Ulicus , namely:

Episode IX: Did You Think This Was Really The End?

In that, I really can't see how they can wrap this all up well with one film. TLJ's ending sets up stuff that probably does need four films to resolve.

14. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    All I'm going to say right now is that while I'm by and large on-board with the decisions made in TLJ, including Luke's "death", it does sadden me immensely that it means it no longer makes much sense to use From His Nap as a provisional title for this movie.

Xammer, WMIRTUTSF, Revanfan1 and 2 others like this.
  15. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Could still work, Luke weren't dead, he was sleeping.

16. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    I'm going to call a polite BS on the Daisy Ridley claim. Her quote even begins with "here's what I think I know," and it goes against everything else that everyone involved, including Abrams and Johnson, have said.

Despite what Wookieepedia says, I do think Johnson wrote an outline for IX that Treverrow originally discarded. A, the origin of that was his same spokesman who broke the news about him on VIII; and B, his apparent Twitter denouncement of that only said that he wasn't writing the script, which doesn't mean the same as him not having written an original outline/idea.

I do wonder how much Abrams and Terrio are taking from those various discarded ideas. I'm sure we'll at least see some concept art from them in Art of IX.

17. TheAvengerButton

TheAvengerButton Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 2011
    I've actually had the thought for a while that Episodes VII-IX were being used to set up a static universe going forward--a playground of sorts where they can have Rebellions and Empires going for an indefinite time.

18. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Oh, that's a depressing scenario.

I could see it working better with significant time jumps.

19. firesaber

firesaber Jedi Master star 4

Mar 5, 2006
    They have a lot to tie up in the next one and I hope that they do it well. I'm not an ST hater at all but have had issues with pacing. I think they could have addressed several things by focusing the story elsewhere without the Canto Bight side trip- as beautiful as it was.

I think (see-hoping) that they bring Mark back in to be a mentor from the beyond-even if it is something as small for a single pivotal moment like Obi Wan in EP IV.

I need some Lando.

connor413 likes this.
  20. The Raddinator

The Raddinator Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 18, 2017
    The first 'rumor' here basically does just seem... let's just say very very very very convenient for someone who hates TLJ and wants to foster the myth that everything is all about evil KK and RJ.

21. Old Rex

Old Rex Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 28, 2015
    I'm still very curious about Snoke, but so long as ancillary media answers questions about his backstory, then I'm fine with his death as shown in TLJ. It was quite the shock and certainly served Kylo Ren's arc well. If Treverrow was pushing to keep him alive, I can't imagine what would be more interesting than what happened.

As for Luke, I'd be quite surprised if he didn't come back as a Force Ghost. That begs the question: why would he need to be alive if FGs can affect reality in a significant way, as shown by Yoda in TLJ? He can easily serve the plot as a FG that still formally "passes the torch" to Rey. This seems like a strange thing to insist on...

22. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    I can’t believe we’re already to the final film in the ST. I know it’s still a couple years out, but this movie every year thing goes fast.

23. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    Well after Solo, we have a year and a half wait which is the longest wait between movies since the Disney purchase. Who knows, we may get lucky and they bump it up sooner than Dec 2019.

ObiWanKnowsMe, BigAl6ft6 and starfish like this.
  24. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    yeah, I was liking the December release schedule. I know it won’t happen but I’d still be ok with Solo coming out next December.

ObiWanKnowsMe likes this.
  25. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    There’s no excuse not to have Lando in the ST. None. He’s a main character just as much as Han, Luke, and Leia.