main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit The Essential Atlas and Galactic Cartography: Official Discussion

Discussion in 'Literature' started by CeiranHarmony, Oct 14, 2005.

1. Eyrezer

Eyrezer Jedi Master star 3

Aug 4, 2002
    To be fair, I know that at least with articles on sentient species, we try and include sufficient weasel words. For instance, a species homeworld might be stated to be within territory controlled, say Revan's Sith Empire, but the homeworld will not be stated to be apart of the Sith Empire.

That only applies to articles that full be given status -- featured articles, good articles, etc -- and, of course, the vast majority of species/planets have not achieved this status.

~ Eyrezer

2. Senator_Cilghal

Senator_Cilghal Jedi Master star 5

Jul 19, 2003
    I've noticed the "weasel words" in some articles, ie, when it is written, "[suchandsuch planet] was located within the boundaries of [suchandsuch] space"; this sort of wording seems preferable and prudent

what is objectionable are articles that say a planet was "a loyal member of the Republic from [date] until [date]", etc.; these are highly speculative and not actually backed up by the atlas

the Exploration map shows when general regions were explored, not every planet shown in that region [Onderon being an excellent case in point]

and we cannot assume a planet was SETTLED as soon as it was discovered; a planet cannot be a member [let alone loyal one] if it isn't settled yet

many planets within a territory may be isolated, unaligned hold-outs

just because we don't see a planet in the territory of the Republic's enemies in one of the mapped-out wars does NOT mean the planet was loyal to the republic throughout millennia of history either, as so many articles assume; there could be countless local rebellions not demonstrable on any one map; and there are large-scale conflicts not shown on any map [like the Great Galactic War]

even the Clone Wars map should be taken as a broad generalization of territory, not an absolute

3. TalonCard

TalonCard •Author: Slave Pits of Lorrd •TFN EU Staff star 5 VIP

Jan 31, 2001
    I finally, finally, got a copy of The Lost Jedi adventure game book, and I've been consulting the Atlas maps as I come across planet references...I gotta say, the authors deserve a lot of credit for incorporating so much from this obscure source!

TC

4. JMM

JMM Author: The Forgotten War, SW Fact File star 3 VIP

Jul 9, 1998
    Random comment about The Wheel, here. A couple years back, I believe there was to be a long article detailing the history of the station. Or at least, there was one being written that may have showed up somewhere like the Insider or Hyperspace. For whatever reason, it never made it to the publishing stage.

5. Plaristes

Plaristes Jedi Master star 3

Jul 2, 2007
    Now can you actually beat the game without cheating? I never could. :p

6. TalonCard

TalonCard •Author: Slave Pits of Lorrd •TFN EU Staff star 5 VIP

Jan 31, 2001
    I haven't tried to play the game yet...I'm going to do it once per book before I review it, though. These adventure game books are a strange beast...

It's pretty cool how everything lines up, though. Havet got on a shuttle from Feena at Korphir in order to get to Toprawa, and if you look at the Gordian Reach map, sure enough there's a hyper route that goes from Feena to Korphir, and links up with another to get to Toprawa. Another planet mentioned in passing in the book is the site of a battle during the Yavin blockade in the Atlas...awesome stuff.

TC

7. Senator_Cilghal

Jul 19, 2003
    hmmm... the History of Xim was preserved, but as far as I can determine, the Despotica is now missing:(

8. CeiranHarmony

CeiranHarmony Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 10, 2004
    it survives in fan archives though, thx to the power of screenshots ;)

9. JMM

Jul 9, 1998
    Well, if anyone finds "The Forgotten War" tucked away somewhere, let me know! :)

I of course, have a copy of it, but it'd be nice to find out it's still online somewhere.

10. jSarek

jSarek VIP star 4 VIP

Feb 18, 2005
    Alas, I don't even have a copy of the final version of "The Written Word." I have my final draft, of course, but some (admittedly small) changes were made in editing before it was released.

I'm keeping faith, though, that this FAQ response holds true, and that "after 2011" means "SOON after 2011":

11. CeiranHarmony

CeiranHarmony Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 10, 2004

I sadly bet they forgot about this statement... especially with the Cheif Editor change and all that now!!!

Same situation as with wotc material loss of the website and old hyperspace stuff lost in last official site revamp. They always promise... never keep.

Could I peek at your final draft? I know the published version but wonder what is different in there.

12. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    May I be so bold as to submit a duplicate request?

13. jSarek

jSarek VIP star 4 VIP

Feb 18, 2005
    I'm pretty sure they added that to the FAQ *after* the change, so take from that what you will.

I may have over-sold this a bit. Most of what I'm talking about are relatively minor matters of things like wording. I think there was only one minor content change, related to retconning why all the Jedi computers were using a writing system associated with the Trade Federation.

14. Senator_Cilghal

Jul 19, 2003
    the Forgotten War, along with the Nagai-Tof Wars map in Atlas, are two of the only sources outside the original comics to cover this interesting conflict

Sadly, other than the original comics, none of this content was around back when I actually did a RPG campaign that consisted largely of this conflict [and the Ssi-ruuvi one]

How I could have used this stuff then!

talthough WOTC's Unknown Regions had some FINE write-ups on the Nagai and Tofs, but sadly, little in the way of stats to accompany; we only had one Tof class statted [oddly, I don't think its even one we see in the original comics]; and I really was hoping for stats of all the Nagai ships named in Forgotten War

my next campaign I run will almost surely be Legacy Era, since one of my players is dying to be a Fel Empire alien stormie; and apparently Companion Besh is part of Krayt's Empire; I will have to study a bit more the background of the Warlord of Darth Nihl, but it seems this would be an opportune era for some Nagai/Tof missions; so I do hope this article gets republished

15. JMM

Jul 9, 1998
    I intend to fill in some of the missing Nagai-Tof war events in some of the Wookieepedia articles not really updated with it. For now, that's the only source for a lot of missing and obscure material. One of the other annoyances of the loss of these things is that for a while, we were even getting reprints from old old of print WEG books. But at least even those exist in some form for fans to find, even if it's only on eBay, etc.

Unfortunately you can't even find this stuff in an online archive, because you can't log in to your Hyperspace account on an archived page. All you get is the "teaser" page asking for you to log in.

16. Senator_Cilghal

Jul 19, 2003
    JMM, if you ever move to Texas, please contact me and run a Nagai-Tof Wars campaign for my RPG group;)

17. Eyrezer

Eyrezer Jedi Master star 3

Aug 4, 2002
    Jason, two points:
    Hired Guns has an Outer Rim locations called "Medara's Outpost" that could easily become an Atlas appendi location.

The Clone Wars: Wild Space mentions a Jedi that is an "Argauun". For Appendix purposes, are you treating this as a mispelling of "Aargauun"?

~ Eyrezer

18. Cronal

Cronal Jedi Master star 4

Dec 17, 2009
    CEIII #2 mentions a world called Nyara in it. I think this might be a new one.

19. Plaristes

Jul 2, 2007
    Is TCW moving another planet to the Outer Rim?

20. Onderon1

Onderon1 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 18, 2008
    :oops: No ... just, no.

Naboo is SO far south and west of Mon Cal that it's not even funny. I thought the use of Gungans during the Mon Cal arc was inspired, and at the time, there was a sense that it'd taken a while for the Gungan strike team to get to Mon Cal. Messing with the placement of two major worlds in the milieu like this ... it's just not acceptable, IMHO. [face_not_talking]

EDIT: I suppose I shouldn't be so outraged, except that this isn't like moving Kesh around. Naboo is a movie planet, and to me, there's a greater degree of "thou shalt not mess with movie planets" than there is some comparatively newer planet.

Anyone know who wrote this Insider article? [face_thinking] It's not fair to just point fingers at the author, IMHO.

21. Plaristes

Jul 2, 2007
    It's not an Insider article. It's the official novelization, adapted by Rob Valois.

22. Onderon1

Onderon1 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 18, 2008

:confused: They're novelizing the episodes? I hadn't heard that ... interesting.

In any case, I'm going to take a deep breath and not worry about my copy of the Atlas until LFL declares this canon. [face_blush]

It could be retconned as a Gungan and Naboo colony; New Alderaan winds up near Mon Cal, so it's entirely possible that there could be a New Naboo or something. [face_thinking]

23. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    I'm a lot less worried by a novelization than it appearing in an actual episode.

24. Plaristes

Jul 2, 2007
    Novelizations have to pass through approvals just like everything else. :confused:

25. Senator_Cilghal

Jul 19, 2003
    its more of a kiddie novella, isn't it

"The Republic world of Naboo was located not far from Mon Cala in the Outer Rim of the galaxy."

there are too ways of reading that; it could mean

1) Naboo is not far from Mon Cala
    2) and Naboo is in the Outer Rim

OR

1) Naboo is not far from Mon Cala
    2) Mon Cala being in the Outer Rim

if we go with the 2nd interpretation, no problems

p.s. one of the highlights of Shadow Games is you can follow their tour route in Atlas