main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit The Essential Atlas and Galactic Cartography: Official Discussion

Discussion in 'Literature' started by CeiranHarmony, Oct 14, 2005.

1. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    I have noticed occasionally when checking the cites, that I can't find them. Canon Form VII page -Mace being a Form VII user, for example - Wookieepedia cites SWAEYNTK - I looked everywhere in Star Wars Absolutely Everything You Need To Know and couldn't find it, even in the description of the Forms themselves - though it was in the newcanon Character Encyclopaedia, so that's OK.

Maybe people should put page numbers in their Wookieepedia cites, so at the bottom of the page, it might say:

[1] Ultimate Star Wars - page 100

or whatever page and source you're using.

2. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    Some people do it, but it's never been mandatory. (This is also impossible when you use digital versions of books. I know that USW doesn't have one, but many others do.) And about the Form VII thing, yes, you're right, the sourcing seems to be inaccurate. I'll give it a fix this afternoon. ;-) Truth to be told, the article flux has become so quick with the rise of the "new canon" that, whenever someone adds a source that is wrong but looks legit, it usually goes unnoticed for a time.

Now, back to the Atlas! I'll have to update my list of new locations without a proper Atlas placement! :)

3. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Lothal was placed in "Lothal Sector" (which we already knew) in the Outer Rim, with no other indications of location, in one of the latest FFG RPG supplements.

4. Chunkydumb

Chunkydumb Jedi Master star 2

Nov 30, 2014
    Do we know when a fully detailed canon map is being released?

5. Mikael Hasselstein

Mikael Hasselstein Jedi Padawan

May 1, 2014
    Or if one will be released.

6. Tzizvvt78

Tzizvvt78 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 12, 2009
    Yes,
    Soon(TM), right after Half-Life 3.

Chunkydumb and DarthSienna like this.
  7. Chunkydumb

Chunkydumb Jedi Master star 2

Nov 30, 2014

Funny man.

AusStig likes this.
  8. Tzizvvt78

Jun 12, 2009
  9. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    There's already been a galactic map, if that's what you're asking.

If you're talking about something like Modi's maps from Essential Atlas, don't hold your breath.

10. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    Out of curiosity, has anyone ever tried to trace the origins of some of the lesser-known systems found on the Atlas? It's always odd to stumble across something like this on Wookieepedia that seems to have been invented by it.

11. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    Sadly enough, I was working on something like that years ago, but I haven't touched it in a while.

12. Eyrezer

Eyrezer Jedi Master star 3

Aug 4, 2002
    Romik system should be from Agents of Chaos: Hero's Trial. ;)

Sinrebirth and blackmyron like this.
  13. iucounu

iucounu Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 28, 2014

November this year, for a canonical star map that includes the location of Lothal.

14. LelalMekha

Oct 29, 2012
    Where did you get that from?

15. iucounu

Jul 28, 2014

It'll be in the Galactic Atlas.

16. LelalMekha

Oct 29, 2012
    Oh, you mean the one with the woefully inaccurate and childish map of Tatooine?

17. iucounu

Jul 28, 2014

That's the one. I would point out that it is a book for children.

18. LelalMekha

Oct 29, 2012
    Which is a shame, because adult fans would like a canon atlas, I'm sure. (And childish is okay, but inaccurate is not.)

19. iucounu

Jul 28, 2014

I think when you see the book, the accuracy side of things will make more sense to you. (Plus, really early sales material.)

20. LelalMekha

Oct 29, 2012
    iucounu Well, you seem pretty confident about it... it's actually almost encouraging. We'll have to wait and see, I guess. ;) (But that's a long wait till November.)

(I just hope that you didn't mean "Accuracy is less important than making a nice, fun book", because I really don't see why it should be mutually exclusive.)

21. Tzizvvt78

Jun 12, 2009
    Either you got paid to shill for it, or you actually worked on it.

22. iucounu

Jul 28, 2014

I actually worked on it. (Nobody really gets paid to shill things on forums. I wish!)

Tzizvvt78 and LelalMekha like this.
  23. LelalMekha

Oct 29, 2012
    iucounu I suspected as much. That explains how confident you sound about it. :)
    At any rate, I didn't mean to come off as harsh or demeaning, I guess I'm just a little bitter that such a great book as The Essential Atlas has become Legends while the first canon Atlas will be a kids' book.

Again, don't get me wrong, kids' books are often nice, and Tim McDonagh does gorgeous things. But since certain important things on the previewed Tatooine map don't align with what we know, I don't feel that encouraged. It's just that going from exhibit A to exhibit B is a bit hard to swallow, when it comes to accuracy:
    [​IMG]

24. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Given that Complete Locations is being rereleased, that would suggest exhibit A will exist in the newcanon as well as the EU.

Tzizvvt78 and LelalMekha like this.
  25. LelalMekha

Oct 29, 2012
    True. The harm's done anyway, since the existing new canon books do feature a few inconsistences regarding Tatooine. While Ultimate Star Wars correctly places Mos Espa and its outskirts at the junction of Xelric Draw and the Northern Dune Sea, Star Wars: Absolutely Everything You Need to Know, puts Mos Espa on the edge of the Western Dune Sea.